Chapter 13

Leader of the Pack

All Hongbin wanted to do was go out and find the hellhounds and put a stop to this once and for all, however, Wonsik thought otherwise. 

The healer had made him promise that he wouldn't run in headfirst, pointing to the damage caused by the demonic creatures, and hinting at what could have happened if the druid and the hunter hadn't gotten there in time. He had appealed to the inner rationalist in him, asking him to wait while they collected more information about the hellhounds, but for now, they needed to just heal.

Even though he had promised, all Hongbin could think of was finding them.

For now, their current setup had Hongbin staying with Taekwoon for the time being, while Wonsik and Sanghyuk crashed at Sanghyuk's place. Taekwoon and Hongbin were talked out of attending school for a couple of days while their wounds healed (Wonsik's healing paste helped out a lot, but it seemed these wounds would take a while to heal and also leave scars.)

Wonsik and Sanghyuk had talked the two of them into staying home for a few days and that they'd hold down the fort at school. 

He thought after the horrific experience they just had, he might enjoy lazing around in bed.

Yeah...nope.

He felt stifled, claustrophobic even, stuck in between four walls as such. Even Taekwoon had felt the burden and had left for a stroll through the woods, promising to not stray too deep in case he encountered the hellhounds and to stay close to civilization.

Hongbin, on the other hand, decided to take a trip to the convenience store to get some instant ramen in his stomach. 

As he waited for the noodles to cook, he stared out of the window. Suddenly, someone took the seat in front of him. Looking up, he found a female around five years older than him.

"So, have you just decided you aren't going to visit anymore?" she asked.

He chuckled. "Hi, Soojung-noona," he greeted.

Soojung and her older sister Sooyeon knew them since they were young. Being small town girls, they eventually left for the US to study once their father was able to save up enough, and they'd visit once in a while. While they were in town, they'd help around the convenience store run by their cousin Jaejoong.

"I'm sorry I haven't visited in a while," he apologized.

She smiled. "No need to apologize. I remember what it was like being your age, the stress and all." She then pointed to the ramen that was now cooked and ready. "Mind if I join you for a while?"

He shook his head. "Not at all, Noona."

He began to eat, taking in a mouthful of noodles while she propped her chin on her elbow which rested on the table. "So, you're eighteen now, right?"

He nodded. "You've got one year of school left," she said. "What are your plans?"

"My plans?" he asked. He paused for a moment, thinking about it. "I think I'll just stay here and do something."

"Do you want to end up like Jaejoong?" she asked.

"Who doesn't?" he challenged.

"I certainly don't," she said. "Hongbin-ah, I'm saying this because I care about you. You think I can ever forget that little boy who cried as I was leaving and begged me not to go?"

He flushed deeply. "You still remember that...?"

"Of course I do!" she exclaimed. She ruffled his hair. "You were so cute back then, you and Taekwoon both. I clearly remember how the two of you used to stick to us, it was absolutely adorable!"

He cringed deeply. "I really wish you'd forget all that."

She grinned. "Alright, I won't say anything about it around you," she said.

"Can't you just forget about it entirely?" he hopefully asked.

"I'm not going to speak about it in front of you," she pointed out. "At least I'm doing that."

He sighed. "Yeah, thanks."

She laughed lightly but then paused, staring at him. He shrank slightly under her intense gaze, feeling small and objectified as she tilted her head slightly.

"You've got something here," she said, pointing to the side of her neck.

His arm shot to the place parallel to what she'd shown on his own neck, fingers searching for the source. He then felt something dry and rough, like a new layer of skin, sort of like a scab, running up the side of his neck and just peeking out from the collar of his shirt.

"It looks like a wound," she observed. "What happened to you?"

"Oh, it's nothing," he quickly said to assure her. "I just got bitten by a dog."

"That's some bite," she said. "Have you seen a doctor?"

He shook his head. "It's alright, Noona," he assured. "I've been bitten before. It'll heal in a while."

She didn't look too convinced, yet she still nodded finally. "If you say so," she said. She then got up. "Well, I must be going. Sooyeon-unnie must be waiting for me."

"Say hi to her for me," he said.

She walked to the door, waving to him. "You should come over sometime," she suggested. "And bring Taekwoon too. It'll be like old times, you, me, unnie, Jaejoong-oppa and Taekwoon."

Hongbin smiled. "I definitely will."


Wonsik was waiting outside the school for his younger friend. Sanghyuk had been enlisted last minute by a teacher, delaying their return back to their injured friends.

He paced for a while, checking his watch impatiently. He then heard the sound of high heels clicking against the concrete pavement and turned around to see a woman walking in his direction, gaze turned towards the school.

She then lowered her eyes to meet his, and a smile broke out on her face. "Wonsik-ah, is that you?"

He politely bowed. "Good afternoon, Jung Sooyeon-shi."

"Woah, it's been a while since I last saw you," she happily said. "When was it? Last year?"

"I think so," he agreed.

"You just never come out to visit," she lightly complained. "I see Taekwoon and Hongbin whenever we visit, but seeing you is like trying to catch a sight of a rare animal."

He chuckled. "It's alright," he rationalized. "You and Soojung-shi are closer to my hyungs than me."

"Still, you're a part of our town, and are close to them," she said. "I hope over time we can become closer. I think of them as little brothers, you know."

He smiled lightly. "Yeah, I do."

She seemed to want to talk a bit more, but then her phone beeped. Excusing herself, she checked it.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Wonsik-ah," she said. "I really want to stay and chat but I need to go."

He nodded. "It's alright," he seemed to be constantly repeating himself. "Goodbye, Jung Sooyeon-shi."

She walked away before turning around and waving at him. "Don't be a stranger, Wonsik-ah!" she called out before leaving.

"Who was that?"

He turned around to see Sanghyuk standing there. "How long have you been standing there?"

"That's not the point," the younger said. "Who was she? I've never seen her before."

"That's because you've barely been here for two months," Wonsik reminded him. "That, by the way, was Jung Sooyeon. She and her sister were popular in this town before they left five years ago for the States."

Sanghyuk cast a look in the direction she left. "She sounded close to you."

"Me? No," Wonsik clarified. "Hongbin-hyung and Taekwoon-hyung though..."

Sanghyuk looked at him. "What about them?"

Wonsik sighed. "I'll tell you on the way home," he said, beginning to walk. "Just let's try to get home for now."