Epilogue

Leader of the Pack

Sanghyuk zipped up his bag after making one last check of all his belongings. While he did so, his gaze fell on the window and the outside.

Having rained heavily the night before, the air was fresh and the ground still damp, a feeling of renewal after all they'd been through.

Once done, he swung it around his shoulders and walked to the door, casting one last look behind him at the room. 

That room was supposed to have been just that, a room, was now endowed with some of the most painful memories, and even though he didn't want to admit it, some of the best ones as well.

Sighing deeply, he closed the door to his room once and for all.

He came down the stairs, where two figures were in the living room. They turned when they heard him come down.

"Well, um..." he mumbled, "I'm ready."

The elder of the two smiled softly, getting up and going to him. "Take care, okay?" Jaehwan asked, placing his hand on Sanghyuk's head kindly. "Take this chance and use it well. Use it to make a better life for yourself."

Sanghyuk nodded. "I will, thanks a lot for everything."

He then turned to Taekwoon, leaning by the door. "Wonsik's outside," he gestured with his head to the door. 

Sanghyuk took in a deep breath and placed his hand on the door, making to push it open. Before he could, however, Taekwoon quietly cleared his throat.

"Good luck," Taekwoon quietly said. "You deserve it."

Sanghyuk couldn't help but smile at that. The little while he'd known Taekwoon, he knew this guy didn't give out compliments like that so freely. It was refreshing to hear that, probably since this was the last time he would ever see him again.

"You too," he told the elder, "You deserve it too."

They shared one final smile as Taekwoon opened the door for him, and the two wolves accompanied him out to where Kim Wonsik stood beside a suitcase.

Kim Wonsik. The only person he could truly call his friend in this mess.

"Do you really have to go?" Wonsik asked sadly.

Sanghyuk nodded. "I think I've had enough adventure to last me a lifetime." He adjusted the bag strap over his shoulder. "I also think I'm ready to just be a regular student for once."

"You have family in Seoul?" Wonsik inquired.

Sanghyuk hummed. "My aunt and uncle," he said. "They're from my mother's side, so they know nothing about the supernatural."

"Good," Wonsik said. "It's probably the only chance you'll get at being normal."

Wonsik sighed, and then dug around in his pockets a bit. "Wait, I've got something to give you," he said, digging deep into his pocket and then pulling out a small music player and placing it in Sanghyuk's hand.

"What's this?" Sanghyuk asked, looking at it.

"My latest tracks," Wonsik said, his voice a bit sad. "You said you wanted to hear them, right? They're probably my last works anyway, so you can listen to them on the journey."

Sanghyuk felt his heart swell. "I-I don't know what to say..." He looked up. "Thanks a lot."

"Don't mention it," Wonsik smiled. Then he sighed heavily. "Goddamn, I'm going to miss you."

Chuckling lightly, Sanghyuk pulled Wonsik in for one last hug, one last hug for the guy he'd never thought would end up his best friend. "I'm going to miss you too," he murmured.

When he pulled away though, another thought crossed his mind. "Hey, why don't you come to Seoul with me?" 

Wonsik's eyes grew wide. "Huh?"

"Come to Seoul," Sanghyuk repeated. "You know there's no future for your music aspirations in this small town, you'll get much bigger opportunities there."

Wonsik seemed to think about it, and for a moment, it seemed like he might have swayed. Then he looked up at him and smiled. "I appreciate the offer, but I'll pass."

"Are you sure?" Sanghyuk offered yet again. "I think Ravi might be a lot more popular in Seoul than here, don't you think?"

Wonsik pursed his lips in agreement. "Perhaps, but Kim Wonsik is needed elsewhere." He gestured with his hands at the world around them. "My place is here, with my pack, with my family. I'm needed here, Sanghyuk-ah."

Sanghyuk nodded, understanding. "Just think about it, okay?"

Wonsik nodded, chuckling. "I will." He then ruffled his hair. "Our little Hyukkie. Stay safe in the big city, alright?"

Sanghyuk laughed, prying Wonsik's hands away from his head. "I will."

They turned around as Hakyeon came into view, a small leaflet in his hands.

"Sanghyuk-ah, I got your tickets!"

Since when did this guy begin addressing him informally?

Sanghyuk and Wonsik joined the other three wolves. 

"Okay, everyone's said their goodbyes?" Hakyeon asked, looking around. "Sanghyuk's train is in an hour and a half. We don't want to be late, do we?"

"So you guys aren't going back?" Sanghyuk inquired.

Hakyeon smiled at him. "There's nothing for us back home," he said. "With our pack gone, there's no use returning. And besides." He clapped Taekwoon and Wonsik on their shoulders. "These guys could use some adult supervision."

Taekwoon shrugged Hakyeon's hand off, mumbling something to himself while Sanghyuk cocked his eyebrow. "Adult supervision?"

"Ha ha," Hakyeon mockingly laughed. "Regardless of the way I look and the way I get treated, I'm still a legal adult, and you're all still minors." He pointed his finger at the three.

Taekwoon turned away from him, making Hakyeon look offended. 

"Anyways, are you ready to go?" Hakyeon asked Sanghyuk.

He nodded. "I'm ready to leave this all behind."

"I'll walk you to the bus stop," Hakyeon said, grabbing the suitcase and dragging it along behind him before Sanghyuk could protest.

Running after him to keep up, he turned around and walked backwards for a few moments as he waved a final goodbye to them. He had to swallow to keep from choking up.

Because...regardless of everything that had happened...he still wouldn't forget them for what they'd done for him...ever.

They reached the bus stop and Hakyeon paused to look over the tickets.

"Okay, so here are your tickets," he said, handing Sanghyuk the leaflet. "The bus will take you straight to the station, after which Seoul is a couple hours train ride. Make sure you double check the train number so that you don't miss it. Look after your things to make sure you don't lose them."

Sanghyuk chuckled. "Alright, Mom."

Hakyeon smiled at him, a genuine smile, like one a mother might have after sending away her kids to college, which surprised Sanghyuk, because when the hell did they get so close?

"Han Sanghyuk," he said his name. "you. You're the only hunter I've ever let live."

A small shiver went down Sanghyuk's spine at that. "T-that's supposed to be a compliment?"

"Why wouldn't it be?" Hakyeon asked, as if it were obvious. "Either way, you've been given a chance that some only dream to have, Sanghyuk-ah. Take it, become a big man and make us all proud, alright?"

Sanghyuk thought about it for a moment. "I can't say no to that," he chuckled.

Hakyeon's eyes then raised up and the smile faded from his face. Sanghyuk turned around to see what had torn the smile away from Hakyeon of all people when he saw a figure leaning against a tree at the top of the hill, looking at him.

Hakyeon turned to Sanghyuk. "Go," he told him. "There's still some time before the bus arrives."

Sanghyuk gave him a nod before he took off for the hill. The figure at the top didn't move, just watching him with intense eyes as Sanghyuk arrived.

"Well, I'm finally leaving," Sanghyuk said, his voice heavy. "You must be happy, since that's what you wanted all along, didn't you, Hongbin?"

Hongbin didn't respond to that, instead casting him a look up and down. "You're not going to hunt anymore?"

Sanghyuk shook his head. "I've hunted enough to last me a lifetime."

"You sure you'll be fine?"

Sanghyuk smiled. "Hey, we sealed a dimensional rift, we killed hellhounds, we saved the world!" His grin was wide. "What could be better than that?" He chuckled as he recalled. "But still, it was awesome, the way you sealed the tear. And after that? Once the hellhounds became mortal? It felt good to finally use those silver bullets on them and make them suffer just like they did to my-"

Hongbin suddenly placed a hand on Sanghyuk's shoulder, his expression dark. "Han Sanghyuk," he said slowly. "Let's clear something up. You're a hunter. The only reason we worked together was because circumstances had us working together due to a mutual enemy. Am I correct?"

Sanghyuk nodded. "You're absolutely correct."

"And if circumstances were different, you wouldn't have hesitated to kill us. Am I correct?"

Sanghyuk looked up at the wolf, holding his ground. While a couple of months ago he would have been terrified, he'd been through too much, and he knew what Hongbin really was, so he wasn't fazed. "You're correct."

The Alpha then leaned in so he could whisper into Sanghyuk's ear. "Let's make sure our paths don't cross again," he said, his voice changed. It was now low, and dangerous. "Because, if I ever see you again, I will definitely kill you."


Geez, can't a guy say thank you normally for saving his life?

Sanghyuk sat down in the train seat after keeping his suitcase away and removing his jacket. Exhaling, he took out the music player Wonsik had given him.

Just then, the train began to move, and a woman's voice announced, "We have begun our journey to Seoul. We shall reach in 2.5 hours. We hope you enjoy your journey."

Sanghyuk plugged in his earphones into the music player, putting it on shuffle. As the beats began to play in his ear, he leaned his chin on his hand as he watched the thick woods pass him by.

The seventeen-year-old hunter then leaned his head against the headrest and closed his eyes.