Chapter 25

Leader of the Pack

Wonsik stopped in front of a massive mahogany door. He turned around to the other three. 

"This is it," he said.

Sanghyuk looked up at the giant door. "That is one big door," he murmured. "You sure the library is here?" 

"Of course he is," Hongbin growled. "He's been coming here since he was a kid."

"So you guys ready?" Wonsik asked them.

When the other three nodded in sync, he took a deep breath and pushed against the door.

The door opened inside, revealing a massive circular library inside. They stepped inside a new world, a new, intimidating world.

The library looked old, the ceiling reaching for the sky. A massive chandelier hung from the dome- like ceiling. The bookshelves were arranged in a circular shape, in the middle a maskeshift lounge with a couple of sofas and a coffee table. A spiral staircase ran up the side of the building to the second level where there were more bookshelves.

As the other three stopped to admire the library, Wonsik walked forward, searching. 

"Oh!" he exclaimed.

They turned to see an old man walking down the spiral staircase, an old, old book in his hand. He paused when he saw the four of them, his mouth slightly open. He then put the books down and walked towards them.

"Grandfather, I-" Wonsik began when he was suddenly struck on the head with a rolled up newspaper. 

"You!" the old man yelled. 

"And you!" He whacked Taekwoon over the head with the newspaper.

"Especially you!" It was now Hongbin's turn to be hit over the head.

"And you!" He paused in front of Sanghyuk. "Actually, I have absolutely no idea who you are, but since you're with these three, I guess you deserve it too." And he whacked Sanghyuk's head.

"Seriously," the old man groaned, walking in front of all four. "What took you all so long? Your families die and an ancient evil is released into this world, yet it takes all of you an entire two months to come here? What were you all up to?"

He walked in front of Hongbin and pointed his newspaper at him. "And you! Aren't you supposed to be the Alpha of this pack? What on earth were you doing all this time? Do you have any idea how many people could have died before you decided to come and take help?"

Hongbin stayed silent, turning his eyes away. Wonsik coughed. "Grandfather," the younger said, "we weren't able to come because we were trying to keep people from dying."

Grandfather looked at him for a moment, considering. He then nodded. "Well, at least you're here now, so we can get to work." He gestured to them to come and sit on the sofas. "I had tea made. Come and drink."

Once all of them were settled, Wonsik turned to Sanghyuk. "I think introductions are in order," he said. "Sanghyuk-ah, this is my grandfather, the pack's druid."

The old man gave him a warm smile. "Only to the pack, Wonsik-ah," he said. "To the town, I'm just the resident crazy old man." He chuckled lightly. "They call me Old Man Kim, so you can call me that too."

Sanghyuk stood up, bowing deeply. "M-my name is Han Sanghyuk," he introduced himself politely. "I am a hunter."

Old Man Kim raised his eyebrow. "A hunter, eh?" He looked at Hongbin and Taekwoon. "Now what are you two wolves doing fraternizing with a hunter?"

"It's a long story," Taekwoon simply said.

Old Man Kim nodded. "I'll accept it." He put his cup and saucer down on the table and got up, his face sobering. "Now then, let's get down to business, shall we?" He turned to Wonsik. "Grandson, tell me what the problem is."

"Hellhounds, Grandfather," Wonsik supplied. "We're facing hellhounds."

Old Man Kim's eyes turned intense. "How many?"

"So far, only three," Wonsik said. "There might be more but we're not sure."

"We're not able to find anything on them except for the most basic of lore," Hongbin said, getting up. "We have no idea how to deal with them. It's taken a lot of people from us, people we cared about as well as didn't."

Old Man Kim walked around a bit, tapping the newspaper to his lips in thought. "Hellhounds are creatures from another dimension," he said. "They take the forms of canine-like creatures when they venture into our world as in our world, all energy needs to have a form. However, they do not interact with our world the same way we do."

"Yeah, we noticed," Sanghyuk murmured, but was immediately shushed.

"In order for anything to come into our world, logically, there needs to be a bridge from our world to theirs," Old Man Kim mused. "In this case, a dimensional rift, a tear. Something like that can only be caused by a huge influx of energy, making the tear itself be of energy, which means..."

"The tear itself has a form?" Wonsik asked.

Hongbin looked down as something suddenly clicked in his mind. "The white stag..." he murmured. "That's it." 

He looked up, a new determination in his eyes. "I know where the portal is!"

The others looked expectantly at him, and he turned to Old Man Kim. "The first night all this started, I saw a white stag that led me to a cliff where I saw a hellhound for the first time. Sanghyuk here was also led to the same place by it." He gestured to the younger. "Then I began to see it whenever I dreamed of the next victims of the hellhounds."

Old Man Kim nodded. "Makes sense that you'd see the form of the rift before anything relating to the energy that came from it."

"Then we need to find that stag," Taekwoon said.

"But how?" Sanghyuk asked.

Silence fell over them all as they considered on how to get the ethereal deer.

Wonsik once again broke the silence. "Grandfather, you seem as if you know about this," he said. "Have you faced hellhounds before?"

Old Man Kim shook his head. "My God, no," he said. "Hellhounds are mysterious simply because they've hardly ever set foot in our world."

"That means that they have before, right?" Hongbin asked.

"Only once," Old Man Kim said. "Only once, a long, long time ago. It wasn't even recorded, just a cautionary tale passed down from druid to druid. And honestly, I think a lot of the details got warped with time, so I'm not really sure what's right." 

He looked up at the four. "But I do know that you're going to need backup on this one. You four cannot do it alone."

Hongbin took a deep breath. "What do you suggest we do?"

"Seek out another Alpha to help you," Old Man Kim said, as if it was the simplest thing in the world.

"A-another Alpha?" Hongbin stuttered. "Do you know how much of a death wish that is?"

"Not if you find a particular one."

All four of them listened closely.

"There is an Alpha not too far from here, as far as I know. He hasn't been active for long, and yet, he's built one of the most dangerous packs in the entire country. A pack with strength like yours, that took generations to build," he gestured to Hongbin, "he built it in the span of a few years."

"An Alpha like that actually exists?" Sanghyuk asked in wonder. 

"I haven't heard anything like that before, have you?" Wonsik asked Taekwoon.

Taekwoon shook his head. "None of us have ever heard of this wolf before."

"Whether you've heard of him or not, seek him out, because his strength might be the only thing that will keep you alive through this ordeal," Old Man Kim stated.

"Who is he?" Hongbin asked.

Old Man Kim shrugged. "No one knows," he said. "He's managed to keep himself well to the shadows. The few of us that know about him know almost nothing about him, except for one thing, and one thing only."

"He goes by the alias of 'N.'"