Chapter 24

Leader of the Pack

"Cheer up, come on."

Hongbin exhaled lightly, turning around to see Woori standing there, a hopeful look on her face. "Would you be able to cheer up so easily if you were in my position?"

"But you're just so sad," she said, coming up to him. "I don't like you being sad."

He turned away from her, looking out over the balcony. Smiling softly, she came up behind him, nudging him softly to get a reaction out of him.

He clucked his tongue, looking away. She didn't give up however, nudging his shoulder with her forehead. She failed in getting nothing but a slightly irritated and not at all amused response from him.

She then moved a little closer to him, and lay her head on his shoulder, smiling. He had watched her movements carefully, releasing a breath when he felt her weight on his shoulder. Yet, he couldn't stop the small smile from creeping up on his face.

"I like seeing you happy," she softly said. "I like seeing you smile." She then wrapped her arms around his. "You're handsome when you smile."

Sighing deeply, he pulled away slightly to then wrap his arms around her from behind. Her delicate fingers held his rough and calloused hand as he pressed his face into her hair. "Funny," he murmured into her dark hair. "That's like something my mother told me a long time ago."

"Your mother?" she asked, pulling away from him.

That was when he woke up in his bed, in his room, with the most excruciating pain in one part of his body. 

He clutched at his heart area as it burned, sending electric shocks all through his system. It was starting to actually hurt. Any more and it would become hard to breathe.

"Taekwoon-ah!" he called.

The other wolf awoke reluctantly. "What is it?"

"My-my heart hurts!"

Taekwoon grunted. "If this is just some drama re-enactment of something that doesn't even fit in the current situation, then-"

"No, you don't understand!" Hongbin growled out. "It actually hurts!"

Taekwoon then sat up, worried. "Do you need to see a doctor?" he wondered. "It could be some kind of heart disease."

Hongbin shook his head. "It's not like that," he said. "It's like the pain my heart feels when I loose someone close. It's like the pain I felt when Mom and Dad, the pack and then the others dies...all rolled into one."

Taekwoon gaped lightly, feeling completely helpless. "I-I don't know what to do..."

"Taekwoon-ah," Hongbin managed to gasp out. "I have a feeling that something is happening to Woori."


Taekwoon pushed past him when they reached Woori's house and began banging on Woori's door, yelling her name.

"Woori-ah! Woori-ah!"

A barking came from the other side of the door followed by some snuffling. They heard footsteps and Woori opened the door in her nightclothes, rubbing her tired eyes.

"Taekwoon? Hongbin?" she asked, mildly surprised to see them. "What are you guys doing here? Don't you know it's the middle of the night?"

The dog's barking rose in pitch as it tried to stand on Taekwoon's leg. "Quiet down!" Woori hissed at it. "You'll wake Mom and Dad!"

looked back up at them. "I don't know why you two are here so late at night, but come in before you wake everyone."

She hurriedly ushered them in, all the while trying to quieten her overexcited dog. She was so preoccupied with calming her dog that it seemed she'd forgotten to ask them why they were there. Hongbin and Taekwoon shared a quick look before Hongbin stepped forward, opening his mouth when the sound of footsteps down the stairs was heard.

"My goodness, Woori-ah, what's going on?"

"Whoever it is, tell them to come back in the morning!"

"Don't they know what time it is?"

The situation seemed to be deteriorating fast as Woori's parents made their way down to see two boys in their living room.

Hongbin turned back to Taekwoon. His hunch was wrong. All he'd done was succeed in embarrassing himself in front of Woori.

However, before anything else could happen, a cold chill spread throughout the house as the lights flickered dangerously. Before anyone could suggest checking the fuse, the lights went out, leaving only the moonlight streaming in from the windows. 

Dark smoke began to seep into the house as the dog began barking loudly, shrinking back behind Woori. Taekwoon turned to Hongbin with panic in his eyes, and the other confirmed his worst fears.

They just led them right to Woori and her family...

The family had also begun to panic at this point. 

"Check the door," Woori's mother told her father while attempting to grab onto her daughter.

He nodded and walked over to the door, cutching at the handle and pulling, however, it wouldn't budge. He quickly gave up, his arms dropping to the sides of his body. 

"We're trapped," he said depressingly. "Trapped like rats."

"Don't panic," Woori's mother attempted to reassure the people around her. "Nothing's going to happen. I'm sure these two boys will have an expla-"

Before she could finish her sentence, a dark force leaped on Woori's father, grabbing and ripping out his throat just as another took hold of the dog and brought it a little way away, dropping the dead body onto the ground. 

As Woori and her mother's screams rang throughout the house, Hongbin and Taekwoon stepped forward, shielding them as the hellhounds slowly stepped in front of them.

Woori's mother's horrified scream still rang in Hongbin's ears when she witnessed the creatures in front of her. The hellhounds locked eyes with the two wolves. He could swear they were saying "you two again? Well, no matter."

They lunged at Woori and her mother and the wolves moved to protect them. 

"Woori! Run!" Hongbin yelled to her.

She stood frozen on the spot however, instead shrinking to the ground. Her mother made her way to the stairs, terrified. She stopped at the stairs, turning to see that her daughter hadn't followed her. 

"What are you doing, Woori? Come here now!"

A hellhound then lunged at her, silencing her. It was then that Hongbin realized that a hellhound had capsized Taekwoon.

Hongbin threw the hellhound on him off and moved to where Woori was, trying to shield her. 

"H-Hongbin?" she asked. "Wh-what's going on?"

"Don't worry," he tried to reassure her. "I'll explain later."

She watched as Taekwoon was forced to take on two of the hellhounds, leaving one to slowly stalk towards them. She stared into its red eyes and shrunk back.

"H-Hongbin," she whimpered, grabbing onto the sleeve of his shirt. 

"Nothing will happen to you," he told her as he locked eyes with the hellhound. "I promise you that. No harm will come to you."

She whimpered again, and he took his eyes off the hellhound to look at her. It took that chance to leap on him, sinking its fangs into his arm.

It's grip firm and tight even with his wrestling, it dragged him away from Woori and came up to his face to tear it out. His eyes then glowed golden and he roared, pressing his elbow to its throat and pushing it off him. That was but a temporary fix however, as the very next second it jumped on him again. 

A final deafening scream rang through the house, a scream that stopped him in his tracks. Turning his head to the side, his eyes fell on a sight that made his blood run cold.

Woori, a hellhound with her neck in its jaws.

Woori. Dead.

Dead.

The chill from the area subsided as the hellhounds left, only to be replaced by an internal chill that paralyzed his limbs. 

He scrambled to his feet and dragged himself to Woori, grabbing her body in his arms. 

"No," he murmured. "No, no, not now, not you."

Her body was still warm, her blood hot as it soaked into his clothes. 

His trembling fingers reached up to her face, wiping a speck of blood away from her cheek, however, it left a red stain on her soft skin. Wrapping his arms around her body, he leaned down, pressing his forehead to hers and closing his eyes, feeling the warmth of her, her life, her essence, slowly drain out.

The door swung open and Wonsik and Sanghyuk slowed in their steps as they realized they were too late. The scene they came upon was a scene of carnage, with Hongbin and Taekwoon sitting by Woori's body, Hongbin holding her close. 

The knife dropped from Sanghyuk's hand made a clattering noise as it hit the floor, the sound echoing in the much too silent house.

Wonsik walked up to them and placed his hand on Taekwoon's shoulder, getting down on his knees beside them.

"So, what do we do now?" he slowly asked.

Taekwoon nudged him to tell him to keep silent, but Hongbin slowly looked up, his dark hair falling over his glowing eyes.

"I think it's time we get some help."