Chapter 10

Leader of the Pack

Hongbin saw flashes of dark and light in front of his eyes. 

He couldn't make out a specific shape though, but he did catch glimpses of dark smoke once in a while. He could feel the dark energy passing by him, the force pushing him side to side. His senses caught the sounds of people screaming, crying and the worst of all, sounds of flesh being torn from the bodies.

He stumbled, grabbing onto a shelf for support and his fingers brushed a polished wooden surface. Looking up, he saw a photo frame by his hand.

He squinted to try and get a better look at the photograph, however his night vision didn't seem to be working. He did manage to see darkened faces though, and he made out two teenage boys with their parents.

He stared at the older boy, his face familiar, but unable to place it in the darkness. 

Just then, a splash of blood sprayed across the photograph. 

As the entire world spiraled into darkness, it broke apart for a moment to show the glowing white stag standing by a river, for one fleeting moment.

Hongbin sat up on the mattress, panting hard.

He placed a hand on his chest, feeling his heart beating a hundred miles an hour. He looked around, finding himself in the futon on the floor of Taekwoon's room.

He wiped the cold sweats from his face as he recalled his strange dream. 

He didn't know why he'd had such a frightening dream. It was as if his senses had stopped working, bringing him back down to a human level. For someone who'd lived his entire life knowing what was going on every time, he had felt blind, defenseless, weak.

He also had seen the white stag again, the one that had been on his mind since he saw it earlier that night. 

He sighed, rubbing his eyes. He needed a friend to talk to. He needed to talk to Taekwoon.

He looked over at the bed to wake his friend, but found it empty. The bed wasn't made, however, and the blankets were strewn all over.

Maybe he went down for a drink, Hongbin thought, getting off the ground and opening the door.

He made his way down the stairs and to the kitchen, where he found Taekwoon leaning against the kitchen counter with a glass of water in his hand. The other's eyes widened when he saw Hongbin.

"You didn't sleep?" Taekwoon asked.

"Had a nightmare," Hongbin said. 

Taekwoon narrowed his eyes at the other, taking a closer look. "You don't look so good," he commented. "Was it that bad?"

"I did want to talk about it with you," Hongbin said.

"And we'll talk about it," Taekwoon said, turning around and grabbing another glass, filling it up with water. "But first, have some water."

Hongbin accepted the glass and took a sip. "Okay, now tell me what happened," Taekwoon prompted.

Hongbin pulled himself up so he was sitting on the kitchen island, while Taekwoon was facing him. "There was something odd about this dream," he began. "First of all, I was brought down to human senses."

"Human senses?" Taekwoon's voice raised slightly higher. "That's a big red flag right there."

"I know," Hongbin agreed.

"What else?"

"I...I think I was in someone's house," Hongbin said, looking up to try and remember all the details. "I couldn't see anything, but I was feeling dark energy."

"Hellhounds," Taekwoon muttered, affirming what Hongbin had thought all along.

"I was hearing screams."

"What else?"

"I also saw the stag."

Taekwoon paused, leaning over slightly. "The stag?" he repeated. "Like the one you saw hours ago?"

Hongbin nodded. "It's the same, I'm sure."

"What's the same?"

The two turned to see where the voice was coming from, finding a sleepy Wonsik and a sleepy Sanghyuk.

Wait, a sleepy Sanghyuk?

"What is he doing here?" Sanghyuk and Hongbin yelled at the same time.

"This is my friend's house, so I can be here if I want to," Hongbin said. "But what on earth are you doing here?"

"I was invited," Sanghyuk said.

"Yeah, who invited you in the first place?" Hongbin scoffed.

Taekwoon and Wonsik stepped forward, trying to calm the other two down. 

"Hongbin, calm down," Taekwoon told the Alpha. "I invited them over."

Hongbin looked over at his friend, confused. "You invited hunter?"

"Things are pretty bad for now, so I told them they could crash for the night," Taekwoon attempted to explain. "They're sleeping in Taejin's room, and I made absolutely sure he wasn't carrying any weapons." 

Hongbin didn't seem so sure as he glowered at the younger, the corner of his lip lifting up in a growl. Sanghyuk didn't seem that fazed by the intimidating wolf and instead stood his ground.

"Hyung," Wonsik appealed, "it's just for tonight. Is it possible for you to let it go for now?"

Hongbin stayed silent. "And besides, all of us do have a common enemy, right?" Wonsik tried again.

"Common enemy?" Sanghyuk asked, turning to him. 

"Yeah, you wanted to get back at the hellhounds, didn't you?" Wonsik said. "Well, you can't get anybody better than Hongbin and Taekwoon. If anyone can help you get your revenge, it's them."

Sanghyuk turned back to Hongbin and then sighed, the tension flowing out of his arms. He bowed his head. "Please let me stay here for tonight," he said.

Hongbin also seemed to soften a little. Without saying anything to Sanghyuk, he instead turned to Taekwoon. "You handle this," he said. "I'm going up."

He then wordlessly placed his unfinished glass of water on the island and pushed past Wonsik and Sanghyuk to leave. Sanghyuk stared after him, eyes narrowed and a frown on his face. Taekwoon, though, sighed.

"Well, he took it better than I thought," he muttered.


It was clear that even though he'd reluctantly given Sanghyuk a safe haven, he still didn't trust the junior. 

Taekwoon sighed. "I'm pretty sure Wonsik is going to take Sanghyuk to his house, so don't worry."

Hongbin frowned. "I still don't like Wonsik hanging around him."

"It was one night, one night," Taekwoon said. He then paused and looked around. "So, you're going to tell me why you suddenly wanted us all to come to school?"

Hongbin raised an eyebrow. "I told you, I had a bad feeling."

Taekwoon nodded. "Yeah, your hunches are always so reliable," he mumbled.

"Do I detect sarcasm, Jung Taekwoon?" Hongbin asked.

Taekwoon put his hands up. "Wasn't me."

Hongbin gave a light chuckle. Before he could say anything else, a boy around their age with brown hair came up to them. 

"Taekwoon-shi, do you have the notes I asked for?" he asked.

"Oh, let me check," Taekwoon said. "I put them in my bag before the weekend so I wouldn't forget." He leaned to the side and opened his bag, checking it for a moment before pulling out a bunch of papers. "Yeah, I've got them," he said, handing them to the boy. "Here you go, Minhyuk-shi," Taekwoon said. 

Minhyuk took the notes, smiling widely. "Thanks a lot," he said. "I'll be going now." 

He then turned and walked away. Taekwoon moved his head to find Hongbin intently staring after him.

"Hongbin-ah," Taekwoon said. "Why are you staring so intently at Kang Minhyuk?" 

Hongbin didn't seem to hear, as his eyes followed the other's boy's movements. "My dream..." he mumbled.

"What? Hey, Lee Hongbin!" Taekwoon said, shaking him out of his trance.

"Wh-what?" Hongbin asked, shaken.

"Why are you staring at Minhyuk?" Taekwoon asked again.

Hongbin turned for a moment to look at Minhyuk before turning back to Taekwoon. "That...uh...is a bit hard to explain."

"At this point, you know I can take anything," Taekwoon reminded.

Hongbin nodded. "Well," he said, leaning closer. "In my dream, I told you how I couldn't see much, right?"

"Yeah," Taekwoon said.

"Well, I did come across something."

"What did you see?"

"I...I saw a photo frame, with a family."

"Did you?"

Hongbin nodded. "Taekwoon-ah," he said, "I think I saw Kang Minhyuk in my dream."