Chapter 33

Leader of the Pack

With Taekwoon receiving the exact location where Wonsik and Sanghyuk found the dimensional tear, Hongbin laid out a plan to nudge the stag towards where it came from.

An old fashioned ambush and corral.

The pack had retreated a little to plan, and Hongbin laid out his plan.

He would start the chase, and Hakyeon would help him lead it in the right direction. Then, Jaehwan would  meet them at the curve to make the stag turn, and Taekwoon would be there at the final turn. Once they hit that final turn, they were free to start biting and trying to slow it down until they reached Wonsik and Sanghyuk.

Ideally, it had to be tired out by the time they reach, so he suggested that Hakyeon, being the biggest out of all of them, use his weight to try and slow it down, and yes, that meant he was also free to get up on it if it meant that would make it slow down. Taekwoon would give him help, being the second largest, and he and Jaehwan would focus on steering it in the right direction. When the time was right, Jaehwan would also latch onto it to bring it to a stop, and he would make the final bite, absorbing the energy.

Jaehwan and Taekwoon agreed with the plan, but Hakyeon spent a couple of moments watching the younger, his thumb playing his lips. Whatever was going through the older Alpha's mind, he still finally agreed with Hongbin's plan.

Jaehwan and Taekwoon took off to their locations, leaving Hakyeon and Hongbin to sneak up on the still grazing stag.

"You seemed absolutely sure this would work," Hakyeon muttered to him.

"Saw it on Discovery Channel," Hongbin mumbled. "It felt like it might work."

"And if it doesn't work?" Hakyeon asked.

Hongbin crouched, bringing all his strength into his hind legs, ready to pounce. "Then we'll just have to wing it."

He then pounced with all his might, running straight towards the stag. The stag jerked back when it saw the predator galloping at it with full speed and took off to save its own life. 

It began to run away, but then Hakyeon stepped out from behind the bushes, making it turn direction, instead heading towards the river. 

Hakyeon was just around marginally faster than Hongbin, so when the stag tried to veer off course, he went around to its side, snapping and bringing right back on track. 

Right now, it was like the stag wasn't registering that it was some sort of supernatural phenomenon. All it knew was that it needed to get away from the predators who were going to kill it.

It threw its head up in the air as Jaehwan suddenly appeared, leaping in front of it and snapping at the air. It's glassy blue eyes wide, the stag ended up stopping in its course, rearing up to its full size, flailing its legs wildly. Jaehwan paused as the flailing stag seemed to want to stomp on the ground, on him.

Luckily, he was backed up by Hongbin, who leapt on its back, biting into it. The stag bucked for a moment, throwing him off and taking off, Jaehwan biting at its flanks, steering it towards the last turn where Taekwoon lay in wait. 

Taekwoon's orange fur stood out like a sore thumb among the foliage (even in the dark), hence the stag was able to spot him well before. This made things easier for him as the stag turned the exact direction they wanted it to turn, and Taekwoon could just meet them halfway rather than making the full road to turn the stag.

"We're closing in on the location," Taekwoon informed.

Hongbin grunted. "Alright, how far?"

"Not very, give or take."

"Good, I think we can start bringing it down."

With Hongbin's final signal, Taekwoon ran ahead of the others, snapping at the stag's legs, swerving to avoid its bucking. As they ran it a little forward, they began to pick up Wonsik and Sanghyuk's voices too.

"Think they're coming?"

"I think they're already here."

Hakyeon and Hongbin shared a look, and Hakyeon ran past him and Jaehwan. As Taekwoon slowed the great beast down, Hakyeon leapt on its back, biting into its hind side, his teeth easily sinking through the flesh.

"It's just flesh and blood," Hongbin realized. He then turned to Jaehwan. "Let's finish this."

Jaehwan nodded before joining his Alpha from the back, standing on his hing legs to bite into the stag's buttocks, holding on firmly. Taekwoon had bit into its flank, and was keeping a firm grip there, not letting go so quickly.

The stag came to a stop, struggling to let the three wolves go. It hoped that like regular wolves, they didn't have much of a grip.

Unluckily for it, they weren't regular wolves. Their grips were like iron.

It flailed around, trying to kick Jaehwan away, but the black wolf skillfully dodged them, coming back time to time to bite. Hakyeon kept his grip firm on the back, using his great weight to bring it down, and Taekwoon bit at its legs, capsizing it.

Hongbin then took the chance to run up to the stag's face, and he paused as he looked into its eyes.

It's glassy blue eyes were wide with fear, its mind not being able to register what was going on.

Hongbin took a deep breath and grabbed onto its neck, biting down.

His fangs easily passed through to the skin, almost as if its fur was just an illusion. Quickly hitting flesh, he bit through, surprised by how easily his teeth passed through it. Immediately, his mouth filled with the feel of cool liquid and the taste of blood. 

He bit down further as the stag continued to flail. 

.

His fangs weren't long enough. 

He couldn't reach the windpipe as much as he tried.

The others stepped away from the stag, leaving only him holding onto its neck. Looks like it was going to just choke to death, slowly and painfully.

It was long, too long for Hongbin as his jaws tired of holding onto something. Eventually, though, the stag ceased to move.

A soft warm light then coursed through his body, waking him up, giving him strength. As it flowed into him, he stepped away from the stag, turning to look at his friends.

We did it, he thought, we killed the stag!

Just then, a terrifying growl made all four wolves turn around.

Turned out, the hellhounds had arrived, and they weren't pleased about not being consulted for the plan.