Chapter 18

Leader of the Pack

Taekwoon curled his upper lip as he looked around to find himself entirely alone. 

It was safe to say that he wasn't the biggest fan of this plan, but even he had to admit, Hongbin had a point. They were down to only two choices; let them roam free or kill them. 

However, that wasn't the only thing unsettling him; it was the night. The four had split up to try and track down the three runaway werewolves, but Taekwoon had just gotten the scent of one more, the mill owner's son. 

He then put off his search of the three siblings to try and track down the mill owner's son. The trail had led him away from civilization, which he was thankful for, but into the deep woods, which he wasn't very thankful for. 

He'd been running through these woods his whole life, since he'd learned to run. Whether day or night, he'd never been afraid. The woods had been his home. They'd protected him from onlookers and their warm darkness hid his true form from the rest of the town. Even as he grew used to taking nightly strolls through the deepest parts of the woods, he'd never been afraid, not even when he once ran into a vampire, because his mother had arrived at once and shooed it away.

This time though, his mother was not going to come for him. And for the first time in his life, the young wolf felt chills running down his spine.

For the first time in his life, he was scared of being alone in the woods in the dark.

It also didn't help that the full moon was shining it's rays through the trees, casting long and spooky shadows on the forest floor. Along with that, the forest was strangely quiet, the only sounds being the whispering of the trees and the light rustling of the dried leaves under his paws.

He quickly shook himself out of his spiral of fear and resumed his search for the mill owner's son. 

Just then, something came barreling out of the woods towards him, attempting to knock into him, but his quick reflexes saved him from being smashed by what could only be described as a large furry bear.

Jumping to the side and turning to face his adversary, he found the person he had been looking for; the mill owner's son, turned.

The only thing was...he was much, much bigger than the others, and hairier as well. He stood in front of Taekwoon on all fours, muzzle contorted to reveal what were basically white knives, he couldn't call them teeth anymore, and sounding like a revved up motorcycle. 

Taekwoon tightened his muscles and growled. This was going to be one hell of a fight.

It leaped at him, snapping its massive jaws, and he skillfully dodged the oncoming onslaught. He didn't waste any time to recover as he faced it again, ready for the next thing.

Seeing its size, he knew he would be powerless against it. If it got those jaws around him, he'd be dead in a moment. So instead he focused on using his smaller size and leaner form to tire it out, after which he could then jump in and finish it off. 

And so he did, narrowly dodging every attempt to crush him by jumping around. His hope was that the werewolf would eventually tire out, but it surprised him by having a considerable stamina.

Well, at least for one its size.

It eventually came to a standstill, panting heavily. Taekwoon then took the initiative to leap onto its back, biting it.

He quickly realized that they lacked the folds of skin that protected the wolves' necks when bitten. Instead, their fur was brittle, almost like thin grass, and their skin was easily pierced. His fangs cut quick and deep, grabbing a good strong hold on its back.

He needed it.

Definitely not pleased with the turn of events, it began flailing around, trying to get him off its back. He clung on though, for his life. But even the best grip wasn't good enough as he lost it and was thrown into a nearby tree.

He pulled himself up to his feet, his head throbbing from the impact when the werewolf slammed into the tree, its jaws open to crush him. His body then took over his mind and he sidestepped, forcing it to sink its teeth into the tree trunk instead of him. 

It flailed around, its growls growing in volume as it desperately tried to unhinge its jaw from the bark, but it was well and truly stuck.

Seeing a chance, Taekwoon then jumped up from below and latched onto its throat. As he expected, the thin strands of hair seemed to make way for his fangs to dig deep into the sandy tasting flesh. A small bout of surprise struck him when he felt his teeth hit something fleshy inside, something that felt fragile and delicate, something that felt like it might rupture at once.

The windpipe...

He pressed down further, ignoring the feeling of his mouth almost ripping open itself. His sharp fang then pierced the windpipe, making the werewolf let out a painful howl. 

It was then all over as soon as it started.

The werewolf coughed up blood as the life drained from its body. It flailed around, its growls slowly subsiding and then being replaced by whines. Taekwoon still held on however, only loosening his hold as the werewolf's activity reduced. Eventually, it all came to a standstill.

Taekwoon then broke away, shifting back into a human to help lessen the throbbing in his head and ringing in his ears. As he rubbed his palm across his sweaty forehead, he caught sight of Hongbin who had arrived.

"T-they can be k-killed normally t-too..." he said, panting.

Hongbin cast a look down at the dead werewolf before turning back to Taekwoon. "How?" he simply asked.

Taekwoon stayed silent, focusing on catching his breath. Hongbin seemed deep in thought as silence fell over the two, only broken by the sound of Taekwoon's heavy breathing.

"Wonsik and Sanghyuk found them," Hongbin said slowly. Taekwoon looked up at him, silently urging him to go on. "I think you should go on and help them."

"Did they find Jaejoong-hyung?"

Hongbin shook his head. "Just Sooyeon and Soojung-noona," he said. "Which is why you should go on ahead and help them out."

"What about you?" Taekwoon inquired.

Hongbin took in a deep breath. "I'll put Jaejoong-hyung down myself."


It nearly ripped his heart out when he heard two gunshots go off in the direction he had just left. His imagination took over, thinking about how the two sisters were kind to him and Taekwoon. How they adored them. How they helped them, gave them the slightest semblance of normalcy, well, normalcy for humans.

A piece of his heart told him that it was wrong. Even if they were now monsters with no semblance of humanity left, it was wrong.

He had to go back, put a stop to it all.

He shook the thoughts out of his head as he tracked Jaejoong down. Taekwoon's bit of news that they could still be killed normally was in a way, a relief for him. It told him that they were still flesh and blood, not like the hellhounds.

He had to be the done to end this all.

It wasn't long before he smelt blood and followed it, eventually coming across the werewolf he wanted to see, chomping on the body of a child.

It raised its head, blood dripping from its mouth as it regarded him with red eyes. 

Hongbin felt a cold chill settle in the pit of his stomach, but he drew his lips back nonetheless.

It immediately left its kill and charged him. The two collided in mid air in a flurry of teeth and fangs and snarls.

It was unsure who was able to bite whom first, but soon enough Hongbin felt the werewolf's fangs ripping his fur out, blinding him in pain. Tightening his jaw, he turned his head up and bit into blind space, hoping to get something.

At once, his teeth sunk into the werewolf's fragile skin, soaking his mouth with foul tasting blood. The hot liquid gushed down his throat, gagging him, but he hung on. His ears rang with the sound of the werewolf's anguished roar.

He closed his eyes tightly as he felt his figurative soul leave his body to hang onto the flailing beast. Eventually though, he struck the same gold mine that Taekwoon had.

He pierced Jaejoong's windpipe and before he knew it, everything was over.

The werewolf went limp in his jaws and he felt himself being set on the ground. Moving his position, he slowly lay the dead werewolf onto the forest floor, drawing back and gasping for breath.

He stared down at the body of the werewolf. 

No. The body of his older brother.

He fell back onto his haunches, changing back into a human with tears in his eyes.

How could he do this? How could he have killed Jaejoong?

He cast his eyes down at his hands to find them smeared with blood. Jaejoong's blood. 

He put his head down, his tears not falling, just taking slow breaths.

Taekwoon, Wonsik and Sanghyuk found him in that position. When they arrived, Taekwoon and Wonsik took off to his side while Sanghyuk hung back, looking at the body of the monster that was killed.

Hongbin didn't acknowledge his friends when they approached him, concerned. 

"It's done," he said after a while.

Taekwoon swallowed the lump in his throat. "It's done," he echoed his friend's words.

He placed his trembling fingers, stained with crimson blood, onto Hongbin's light blue shirt, coloring it red.