Chapter 22

Leader of the Pack

Hongbin found himself in a dark room, as usual, with his powers gone. He waited for his eyes to adjust to the light, moving forward slightly, when his feet hit something.

Looking down, he saw a body lying at his feet.

Drawing back, he also realized that the room was filled with a strong copper smell. 

Blood.

True enough, he was standing in a pool of blood, from the dead body. The tiny bit of light that was allowed to creep into the room from the slight open windows reflected off the dark liquid. 

He stepped back to attempt to view the scene of carnage, however, there wasn't enough light for him to make out any details about the body or around the house to help identify the body. 

He then felt sticky, for some reason.

Looking down at his body, however, he found himself in his school uniform, minus the blazer. Another very important detail was that the bottom half of his white shirt was covered in blood, and the dark liquid even ran up his arms to his elbows.

Fear clogged his throat and an uneasy, nauseating sensation began to fill up his core. The small stream of light illuminating the river of blood began growing smaller and smaller, until it completely closed, engulfing him in complete darkness.

The scene seemed to change once more, and he found himself standing on the edge of a familiar cliff. 

The scene in front of him was eerily familiar.

The full moon shone behind the cliff edge, making it look like something out of a movie. There, in front of the moon, was the white stag in all its glory.

Hongbin wanted to move, but he was frozen. It was like something had taken over his body, a paralyzing chill that had crept into his muscles, rendering them immobile.

The stag then turned to look at him.

That was when he woke up.


"I had the dream, so it's probably going to happen soon," he told his friends the next morning.

"What did you see?" Wonsik inquired.

"I saw the body," Hongbin said. 

The others immediately paused what they were doing and looked at him. "The body?"

Hongbin nodded. "I was covered in blood," he said, lifting his hand and looking at it. As he looked at his hand, the image of it dripping blood came back to him. "I didn't know whose it was."

He looked around at the other three. "Whose do you think it is?"

Taekwoon stepped forward. "I still think it's Kim Namjoon's," he insisted. 

"How are you so sure?" Wonsik asked him.

"Call it a hunch," Taekwoon said before directing the next words at Hongbin. "Let's continue to keep tabs on him. If you've had that dream then that means it won't be long before the hellhounds attack."

Hongbin nodded. "We don't have any other clue," he said. "Let's go with Leo's plan." 

"Leo? Again? Seriously?"

The others ignored Taekwoon's woes and nodded in agreement. He was right, they had no other leads. They were just as clueless about everything as they were when this all began.

They were willing to trust Taekwoon's hunch for once.


By the process of elimination, Hongbin and Taekwoon figured out that Kim Namjoon must have gone back to class by now, so that's where they checked first.

In the hallways though, they encountered a familiar face.

"Oh, Taekwoon-ah," Go Woori called to the taller boy. "Will you be coming over later today as well?"

He scrunched up his face slightly. "It may be hard today, Woori-ah," he said apologetically. "Is it possible I can come tomorrow instead?"

She sighed. "Alright," she conceded. "Just...can you come a little frequently? I have a test and he's not letting me study in peace."

He smiled softly. "Don't worry, I'll definitely come tomorrow," he assured her. 

"You've finished preparing, haven't you?" she asked him.

He nodded. "I'm pretty up-to-date with the knowledge."

"Then you won't have any problems, right?"

He placed his hand on her shoulder. "You just relax and study well," he told her. "Things will be fine."

She heaved a relieved sigh, looking back up at him with a grin. "Thanks a lot."

She then seemed to finally recognize Hongbin standing behind Taekwoon, waiting for them to finish. "Oh, hi, Hongbin," she greeted him.

He smiled at her in greeting and then clapped a hand on Taekwoon's shoulder. "We should probably get to class, shouldn't we?" he asked.

Taekwoon nodded, turning back to Woori. "I have to get going," he told her. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay," she said.

With a final goodbye, the two teams began to disperse towards their own classes, Hongbin right behind Taekwoon while she needed to go past them to get to her classroom.

When she passed Hongbin, her fingers involuntarily brushed against his hand.

A massive shock went through his body, stopping him in his tracks. The ringing in his ears intensified, forcing him to hold his head, all he could do to not scream out in pain. He clenched his eyes shut.

While they were shut, he began to see visions, flashes of images in red. He saw an image of blood running down a wall, one of a hand dripping blood, one of a blood covered dead body, one of the victim's side, slashed and ripped out.

The final image was a face, the face of the victim.

It lasted for barely a second and it was covered in blood, but he saw the face.

He gasped as the ringing in his ears and the visions stopped, leaving his insides feeling like they'd been squeezed badly. He stayed there for a few moments, catching his breath.

He turned his eyes up a bit to see Taekwoon, standing concerned.

"Are you okay?"

He shook his head, accepting Taekwoon's shoulder. "What happened there?" Taekwoon asked. "You looked like you were going through something bad."

"I saw it..." Hongbin weakly said.

"Saw what?" Taekwoon asked.

"The visions, I saw the visions," Hongbin attempted to explain.

Taekwoon narrowed his eyes. "You'll have to be more specific, since you're not giving me much to go on."

"I saw the victim," Hongbin then said. 

Taekwoon stopped. "You saw the victim?" 

Hongbin paused to take in a breath. "Taekwoon-ah," he said, slowly. "I think the next victim is Woori."

Taekwoon's eyes widened. "Are you sure you're not hallucinating?" he asked.

Hongbin shook his head. "I'm not hallucinating," he insisted. 

"The next victim will be Go Woori."