Chapter 28

Leader of the Pack

"Slaughtered? How?" Wonsik asked.

Hakyeon sighed. "It happened a week ago," he informed. "We had no idea what was happening...they just appeared out of nowhere and began attacking us." He looked down. "They killed them so easily, yet I couldn't do anything. There was only three of them...and yet...they were such efficient killers..."

Seeing how his leader was beginning to choke up, Jaehwan cleared his throat and continued the story for him. "They were going to kill me and N too, but in time I managed to remember the celtic symbol that drove them away."

Wonsik and Sanghyuk quickly exchanged looks. They knew exactly what symbol he was talking about.

"But yeah, only the two of us managed to come out of it alive," Jaehwan said.

A moment of silence fell upon the small group as they took in the information.

Hongbin's fists clenched. If the most dangerous pack was killed so easily, what chance could they stand? 

It was all for nothing.

For nothing.

They spent all that time out in the cold for nothing.

He gritted his teeth as anger slowly began to seep into his heart. Hakyeon noticed it and raised an eyebrow.

"Even if we are...lesser than usual...we can still help," he offered the young Alpha.

"What use will that be?" Hongbin angrily asked.

"Huh?" Jaehwan asked.

"If your pack...the most dangerous one ever...was killed so easily...then we might just give up," Hongbin said, making to get up and leave.

He was at the door when Hakyeon quietly spoke. "If you're ready to accept defeat so easily, then you're right, we might as well give up."

Hongbin stopped in his tracks, his hand on the door. His eyes to the ground, a vague memory began to surface.

Those words...were like something his mother had told him a long, long time ago.

Wonsik then coughed lightly to break the silence. The young druid had been stunned by how quickly silence had fallen the second Hakyeon had begun to speak. It was almost like the eldest had some kind of magical power in his voice that made everyone listen once the tone of it changed.

Was this the power of an Alpha? He'd never felt this awed except with Rhea herself.

"N's right, hyung," Wonsik spoke up. "Packs aren't just made with the members, they're made by the Alphas, and we have one of the strongest right in front of us."

Hakyeon then cut him off. "I actually don't prefer using the word 'Alpha'," he said. "It implies that all you need is to be born one, just based on luck." He turned his head to look at Hongbin, who was still turned towards the door. "It's like being born into a royal family. The throne will always be handed to you, because you're lucky enough to be born right. That doesn't mean you can run a country."

Hongbin swallowed, still not turning away from the door. "The same way, anyone can be born an Alpha, it just takes pure luck, but that doesn't mean they can lead a pack," Hakyeon continued. "It takes actual learning in order to be a leader, but just luck to be an Alpha."

He then stood up, the overwhelming silence making his each footstep echo. "So, Lee Hongbin...Rhea's son...are you just another Alpha, an automatic ruler just because you were born into it, or are you willing to take the risks, and become an actual pack leader?"

Hongbin's hand began to tremble as he realized that everything this guy was saying was correct, absolutely correct. 

"If you're willing, then step away from the door, and let us return to the discussion."

Hongbin didn't say a word, nor did he bother to move. Hakyeon sighed heavily. "Hongbin-ah," he softly said, "I lost my family too. My entire family was just wiped out in front of my own eyes, while I was powerless to stop it. There's nothing more I'd like than to make those hellhounds perish, do to them what they did to every single member of my pack, but I can't do it alone, and neither can you."

He placed a soft hand on the younger's shoulder. "I may not have my entire pack behind me, but I still want to help. I give you whatever I can, that is, myself and Ken. We're both ready to help, as long as you're willing to accept it."

Everyone watched the exchange tensely, holding their breaths. Hongbin felt his vision get blurry. 

Who was this guy? Why was almost everything he said similar to what his mother would have said?

He then moved away from the door, not looking Hakyeon in the eye. Everyone then released their held breaths as Hongbin returned to his seat, Hakyeon followed him.

"So, what's the plan?" Sanghyuk asked.

"What we'd do is consult a druid in this situation," Jaehwan said. Immediately all eyes turned to Wonsik at once.

He put his hands up in defense. "Hey! I'm only in training!" he exclaimed. 

"What about your druid?" Hongbin asked Hakyeon.

Hakyeon sighed. "They killed him too."

Taekwoon turned around. "Then we should go back and meet Grandfather Kim, right?" he suggested. "With N and Ken here-"

"Hakyeon and Jaehwan," Hakyeon cut in.

"With Hakyeon and Jaehwan here," Taekwoon corrected himself, "we might have a better chance of brainstorming a solution to the problem."

Hongbin nodded. "That sounds like a good plan."

"Then we'll leave at dawn," Hakyeon said, with an air of finality. 

"Um," Sanghyuk awkwardly put his hand up. "Wouldn't it be better if we left right now? Like, the sooner, the better, right?"

Hakyeon nodded in consideration. "It would be better, yes, but no one in their right mind would go outside at this time of night, unless they wanted to freeze to death." He turned away from Sanghyuk to them as a whole. "For tonight, rest and recover. You kids have come a long way, you deserve a hot meal and a warm bed for the night. We'll leave this place in the morning."

He got up and began to walk towards the kitchen, placing Jaehwan with orders of cooking something good for dinner. Hongbin got up and attempted to open his mouth when the Alpha placed a hand on his arm and smiled at him.

"Later, Hongbin-ah. For now, just rest."