Chapter 7

Show and Tell (NamKook/NamJin)

*third pov*

    “Hey, Jin hyung. As a thank you for taking care of Jungkook so well, how about we go out for coffee? Ugh, no, that sounds horrible. I’d punch a guy if he asked me out like that,” Namjoon muttered, clearing his throat.

    “Jin hyung. You, me, coffee, and a night you will never forget. Oh my gosh, that’s worse than the first. It sounds like all I want is a hookup. And that’s definitely not what I want. Hey, Jin hyung, I’m single, you’re single, and we both know one plus one equals two. Go out with me? Nah, too desperate.” Namjoon let out a frustrated groan and kicked the side of the cabinet, adjusting his collar.

    “You really like Jin, don’t you?” Yoongi chuckled, leaning against the doorframe. Namjoon let out a little yelp, frightened by Yoongi’s presence.

    “I uh, didn’t see you there hyung. When did you get here?” Yoongi shrugged, walking into the kitchen. “Just a few minutes ago to hear you trying to ask invisible Jin on a date,” he teased.

    The taller turned red and sipped his coffee to avoid Yoongi’s eyes. “He’s been doin’ that awwwwwll mornin’ unca Yoonie,” Jungkook piped up, messily spooning cereal into his mouth. “Has he now? Did he look that silly doing it?” Jungkook giggled and nodded quickly.

    “I-it’s nothing, hyung. Why are you here?” Namjoon asked, turning the conversation a different way.

    “Ah, we have the meeting in about an hour and a half, figured we could go together since Hoseok took the car and mine is in the shop. I really don’t feel like taking the bus. Plus, we can go get the boys together. Hoseok has dance,” Yoongi shrugged, wiping Jungkook’s messy face.

    “Yeah, that’s fine. Just need to get Jungkook ready. Come on bun,” he said, leading Jungkook to his room. Yoongi waited by the door, scrolling through his phone. Five minutes later, Jungkook came running down the hall in fresh clothes that resembled the outfit Yoongi was wearing today but put on his brown Timberlands.

    “Let’s go, silly goose,” Yoongi chuckled and helped Jungkook into the car, buckling him in tight before sliding in the passenger seat next to Namjoon.

    “‘M not a silly goose!” He pouted in the backseat but quickly cheered up when Namjoon the radio.

    Fifteen minutes later, Namjoon was a stuttering mess as he greeted Seokjin by the classroom door, Jungkook already taking off to play with Tae and Jimin.

    “S-so, uh, Jin hyung. I was just wondering, and I mean you don’t have to say yes, you could just totally ignore my question, I’m not even sure if you’re looking to date or anything. I’m sure you’re totally busy with work and all these kids and I don’t really want to take up any of your free time,” he rambled, scratching the back of his neck as he stared at his black dress shoes.

    Jin giggled as he watched Namjoon get all flustered. “I’m totally free, what do you need?”

    “Uh… Heh… Well, I mean. I was just wonderin-”

    “He wants to take you out fow coffee Mista Jin!” Jungkook piped up, standing between their legs. Namjoon blushed an even darker red than he was this morning when Jin’s eyes met his.

    “I-is that so?”

Namjoon hesitantly nodded, anxiety churning in his stomach.

“A coffee date sounds wonderful. After work? I’ll be out of here around 3?” Jin clarified.

    “Y-yeah, uh, we can- we can do that,” Namjoon stuttered, clearing his throat.

“Namjoon, just relax. It’s okay. Here, text me.” Jin leaned closer and tucked a small piece of paper into Namjoon’s jacket pocket, pulling back with a wink. “Have a great day at work, I need to check on the kids. I’ll see you later.” With that, Jin walked away to get some kids settled in for the day.

    “Awl done now!” Jungkook giggled, holding his arms up. Namjoon grinned and picked up his baby. “Yes, thank you, Jungkook. But I need to go now, so I’ll see you after class. Have a wonderful day baby, I love you so so so much!” Namjoon pressed a million kisses to Jungkook’s squishy face, hugging him tightly.

    “Dadda~! Noooo!” He squealed, grinning his adorable bunny-toothed smile. “I love you too! But I gotta goooo!”

    “Alright, alright. Behave, I’ll pick you up today.” Namjoon set him down and gave him a final kiss before patting his and watching him run off. “Ya, Yoongi hyung, we gotta go, come on.”

    The older male huffed and put down the toys he was playing with, kissing his babies on their heads. “Bye boys, behave for your father. I love you both so much,” Yoongi whispered, smothering Taehyung and Jimin in kisses. The two waved bye as Yoongi quickly kissed Hoseok and took off with Namjoon.

    “Namjoon has a date!!” Yoongi shouted, running inside their building once arriving. Multiple heads shot up, though only those who were close with Namjoon started laughing. “Yoongi, shut the up, please,” Namjoon begged, dragging the older to the elevator. “It’s not a date, we’re just going for coffee.”

    “Nah, Joon, it’s totally a date. Did you see the way he flirted with you? And he even gave you his number!” Yoongi shouted, bouncing up and down as they walked to their offices on the top floor.

    Namjoon sighed deeply before squealing, too. “I know! Oh, I’m so excited hyung! Today can’t go by fast enough!”

    The secretaries both shared looks and chuckled at their bosses, silently handing them each the agenda for today. “Your meeting with Line Friends, that is making the stuffed toys, is in half an hour. Good luck,” they encouraged, returning quickly to their jobs.

    Time rolled by so slow that Namjoon could’ve sworn he was able to grow a full head of gray hairs by the time his phone beeped 3:00. He quickly packed his things up, managing to only break one of his desk decorations in his rush, and quickly shut his desktop computer down.

    “Hyung! Are you ready to go??”

Yoongi sighed and walked out of his own office, locking the door behind him. “Let’s go. Annalee, as soon as you finish that assignment, you can take off. I apologize for leaving early, but I came with Namjoon,” he said, signing off on one form at the desk.

    “Come on hyung! I can’t be late!” Namjoon nearly pushed Yoongi out the door and into his car, barely giving Yoongi time to strap his seatbelt on before he tore out of the parking lot.

    “Namjoon! Slow the down! You can’t go on your date if you’re ing dead!” Yoongi cursed, gripping tight to the ‘oh-’ handle. The younger just blushed and slowed down to a somewhat legal speed, watching the cars to make sure he didn’t get into an accident.

    “So, the plushies seem to be a good idea. Do you think Jungkook would be cool with creating some cute ideas for them? I mean, the ideas they had were kind of too childish,” Yoongi stated, flipping through the papers in his lap.

    “I could ask him, Kook loves drawing. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind sharing his creations with the world.” The two fathers laughed at that, knowing how much Jungkook loved showing off and how he practically lived off praise from others.

    They scanned their badges and walked inside, greeting the few parents and kids left at the school for activities. “Hi, Mista Yoonie and Mista Joonie!” Taemin giggled, waving to the adults as he left with his parents, Amber and Kibum.

    Three heads popped up from the book corner, and six feet pounded the ground as the boys ran to their parents. “Hi, appa!” Jungkook shouted, hugging Namjoon’s neck tightly.

    “Hey bun, I missed you. Looks like it’s time to go home, huh? You’re gonna hang out with Tae and Jimin tonight, okay?” Namjoon explained, settling Jungkook on his hip.

    “Uh huh! ‘Cause you gots date with Mista Jinnie!” Jin quickly diverted his attention to hide his blush.

    “I-it’s not a date, Jungkook…” Namjoon stuttered, setting his baby on the ground. “Go collect your things.” Jungkook scuttled off and his baby Timberlands were replaced by Jin’s black Puma sneakers, complete with gold flower embellishments from a collab with the hot Korean boy group that was taking over the world.

    “H-hey, Namjoon,” Jin greeted, meeting the younger’s soft gaze. “Uh, I think we’re all done here? Are you ready to go?”

    Namjoon nodded and grabbed Jungkook’s bag, taking the child’s hand in his. “Yeah, just need to drop Jungkook off at Hoseok’s. Um, I guess you can follow us back to mine? Hoseok lives across the street from us, and then we can leave from there.”

    “Um, I actually took the bus here,” Jin whispered, hanging his head in shame. His car had broken down the night before and he was stuck without an easy mode of transportation for the rest of the week.

    “Oh, uh, ride with us then. It’s not a problem,” Namjoon smiled, dimples on show. Jin felt his face heat up and he had to resist the urge to poke a finger into the deep indent.

    “Uh, I don’t want to trouble yo-”

    “You’re not troubling me at all hyung, really. I’ll pick you up, whenever, wherever. Come on,” he grinned, picking Jungkook up and holding out his other hand to Jin. The elder just nodded and slipped his fingers through Namjoon’s. Jungkook just giggled and laid his head on Namjoon’s shoulder, fiddling with the earring that hung from his earlobe.

    Saying goodbye to Jungkook was easy, for the four-year-old. For his father, he worried about everything. If Jungkook was hungry, had everything he needed, if he was feeling sick. Then he ran Hoseok and Yoongi through a list of things Jungkook could and couldn’t have as if they haven’t raised Jungkook as well since the day he was born.

    “Go Namjoon! Jin is a great gay and he’s waiting for you in the car, now go before I take him home!” Hoseok shouted, pushing Namjoon out the front door. The younger stumbled down the steps and smoothed his dress shirt before sliding into the car.

    “Sorry for taking so long, I had to make sure Jungkook is okay,” Namjoon apologized, pulling out of the large driveway and turning onto the busy street.

    “It’s fine, really. Jungkook is such an easy kid to work with. I’m really glad Hoseok put in a good word for me. But Jungkook knows how to handle bad situations and himself, honestly. I see how he interacts with the other kids in the classroom. I-I know I’m not a father, not even close, but Jungkook will be okay. Let’s just enjoy our date and then you can go back to worrying about him, hmm?” Jin smiled, eyes crinkling in happiness.

    “Y-you’re right, I just need to let loose and enjoy this with you.” He let out a chuckle as he pulled into a space near the entrance to the coffee shop. He jumped out and ran around to the other side, opening Jin’s door for him.

    “Thank you, Namjoon,” he blushed, kindly taking Namjoon’s hand as he led them inside. They ordered their drinks and Namjoon paid, letting Jin pick a small booth in the back for them to sit at.

    “Thank you, Joonie, this is a cute place. I haven’t been able to explore much since moving down here,” Jin chuckled, sipping at his hot coffee.

    “Well, I’d love to be able to show you around more, there are a lot of great places here,” he grinned, winking at the elder.

    “That’s wonderful. I would greatly appreciate it. Um, so tell me about yourself. I see you every day with Jungkook, and I still don’t know much about you.” Jin rested his chin on his fist, smiling softly at Namjoon.

    The younger looked away so he didn’t find himself falling deeper into Jin’s warm gaze, and scratched the back of his neck nervously. “Well, I mean there’s not much to know about me. I co-own an entertainment company with Yoongi hyung. It’s doing really well. We recently moved into a building of our own at the beginning of the year. Uh, heh, Jungkook said his tooth started wiggling, it’s a pretty big dea-”

    “Namjoon, I know about Jungkook’s tooth, and I hear plenty about the company from Hoseok and Yoongi when I’m over on Saturdays. I want to know more about Kim Namjoon, who you are. What was your life before Jungkook?” Jin asked, leaning forward slightly.

    “I grew up in Ilsan, with my younger sister and my parents. We lived a simple life, you could say, until I became an underground rapper. Yoongi hyung actually introduced it to me, said it was a good way to make money, plus it was something I love doing. Uh, Yoongi hyung and I were childhood friends, and then we met Hoseok in college? Something like that,” Namjoon chuckled.

    “Wow, an underground rapper? Could I hear some of your work one day??”

    “Of course hyung, of course. I’m actually working on a new mixtape right now, maybe you could help me?”

    Jin’s jaw dropped and he nearly screamed. “Yes! I would love to, Namjoon!” The two laughed over their coffees, eyes bright and joyful. “I would be honored to help with your mixtape.”

    “Thank you, hyung. It means a lot,” Namjoon flushed, cupping his hands around the warm mug.

    The two shared smiles and stories, though Namjoon avoided one topic that sat on the tip of Jin’s tongue, nagging him the entire time.

    “I’m sorry to interrupt your date, but it’s about closing time. And don’t worry about the drinks, it’s on the house. I’m glad to see two youngsters keeping the romance alive,” an elderly woman said, walking over with a rag in her hands.

    “Oh, I am so sorry. We lost track of time, please, let me pay for this to make up for it,” Namjoon pleaded, pulling his wallet out.

    The woman chuckled, patting Namjoon’s cheek like his grandmother used to. “Don’t worry about it, sweetie. Just take care of each other.” She winked at Jin before disappearing off to the back.

    “Such a sweet old lady,” Jin giggled, watching as Namjoon scrawled a note onto a napkin and tucked a rather large bill into the folds of the napkin, sticking it under an empty mug.

    “Yes, she really is. Are you ready to go then? It’s getting late.” Namjoon stood up and took Jin’s hand in his, leading the elder out to the car. Once situated safely inside, they took off to the apartment building Jin was living in.

    “Th-thank you, for tonight. I had a really great time,” Jin shivered, the cool breeze nipping slightly at his bare arms.

    “I had a really great time too, honestly. Probably one of the best first dates I’ve been on in a while,” Namjoon chuckled, quickly draping his jacket over Jin’s shoulders.

    The elder hummed at the warmth and refrained from breathing in Namjoon’s scent deeply, grinning as he met the younger’s look. “Definitely the best first date I’ve had. Thank you. And I promise Jungkook loves you no matter what you do or don’t do. He’s still a baby, and he will always need his father. You should get going, I’ll see you tomorrow morning,” Jin whispered, squeezing Namjoon’s hands in his.

    “Y-yeah, I’ll see you in the morning. Have a good night, and get plenty of rest,” he replied, stumbling over his words. His heart thumped in his chest as his eyes flickered down to Jin’s lips a few times, though he missed how the older’s would do the same until there was a hand on the back of his neck and another cupping his cheek and Jin’s lips were softly pressed against his.

    Namjoon’s heart stilled in his chest as he registered what was going on, and he had to grip Jin’s hips to keep from melting into a puddle on the floor as he kissed back. Jin’s lips were softer than he ever imagined, feeling like pillows of silk against his own slightly chapped lips. They both tasted of coffee, though Jin’s was sweeter with caramel.

    The kiss ended too soon for Namjoon’s liking, and he made a sound of disappointment in the back of his throat. Jin giggled and pecked Namjoon’s lips again. “Good night. Drive safe, and text me when you get home.”

    “Y-yeah, I will. Please, be safe on the bus,” Namjoon whispered, waiting until Jin was safely in his apartment before heading to Hoseok.

    Namjoon sent a text to Hoseok as he arrived, and was met with a sleeping Jungkook in Hoseok’s arms when he walked into the living room.

    “He just fell asleep about half an hour ago, he wanted to stay up and see how your date had gone,” Yoongi said, collecting all of Jungkook’s things into his Iron Man backpack. “How did your date go?”

    Namjoon bit back a smile as he took Jungkook from Hoseok. “It went really well, actually. We ended up just talking at the coffee shop for hours.”

    “Did you talk about, ya know?” Yoongi tilted his chin to Jungkook.

    “N-no, I couldn’t… Not on our first date. It’s still a sensitive topic,” he whispered, subconsciously holding Jungkook tighter as he placed a kiss on his head.

    “I understand, don’t feel like you have to rush. Jin isn’t an , he won’t push you to talk about things you don’t want to talk about. But he cares, maybe a bit more than a normal person should,” Yoongi sighed. “So, did you two kiss?”

    “Aish, hyung~! I’m not answering that question!” Namjoon retaliated, pushing Yoongi away by his shoulder.

    Yoongi cackled loudly, teasing the blush that crept up Namjoon’s neck to his ears. “Of course you did! Was it good? Did you two go further??”

    “Hoseok, control your husband! All we did was kiss once, outside his apartment before I left,” he explained, dimples impossibly deep from how hard he was smiling.

    “Aww, that’s great! Oh, I hope you two really do work out and get together,” Hoseok gushed.

    “Dadda~” A small voice whined as the pitter patter of feet entered the room.

    “Hey bud,” Yoongi cooed, scooping up a tiny, extremely sleepy Jimin. “Why are you out of bed?”

    “H-had to potty… Den heard you and daddy talkin’,” Jimin mumbled, rubbing his fists in his eyes.

    “Don’t do that bud. Good, you used your potty, I’m so proud of you Jimin!” He exclaimed, smothering Jimin’s pouty face in kisses. The five-year-old whined and pushed Yoongi’s intruding kisses away. “Alright, let’s get you back in bed, okay? Say bye to Uncle Namjoon and Jungkook, they’re heading home.”

    Jimin’s small hand came out to wave at Namjoon, who leaned over and pressed a kiss to his forehead. “Bye Jiminie, sleep tight, okay? We’ll see you tomorrow.”

    “Buh-bye,” Jimin yawned, burying his head in Yoongi’s neck as his father carried him back to bed.

    “Good luck with Jin hyung, he’s a real looker,” Hoseok teased, opening the front door for Namjoon.

    “Aish, you and Yoongi hyung are never gonna live this down, are you? You’ll be the first to know if anything advances between Jin hyung and me, I promise. I’ll see you tomorrow. Have a good night Hoseok,” Namjoon called as he buckled Jungkook into his car seat and left, not forgetting to send Jin a message that they had gotten home safely.