Chapter 14

Show and Tell (NamKook/NamJin)

*third pov*

    “Chicky nooda soup, chicky nooda soup, chicky nooda soup wif a soda on da side~” Jungkook giggled as he danced around the empty practice room; Jimin and Taehyung were dancing as well, flapping their arms and legs around like they had watched Hoseok do hours earlier.

    “D-daddy is so silly! He, he made song about chicky soup!” Jimin squealed, trying to do a cartwheel but it looked like he was just kicking his legs out.

    Taehyung and Jungkook laughed as they tried to breakdance, completely oblivious to passerby and Yoongi’s assistant who had just walked into the room.

    She stood there for a minute until the song was over, and then turned off the sound system in the corner so the song wouldn’t start playing again. “Boys, it’s time for lunch. Yoongi oppa and Namjoon oppa are in a very important meeting right now, so they asked me to take you to lunch.”

    Jungkook whined but stomped over to the assistant, holding his Iron Man water bottle up to her. “Can you open this please, noona?” She nodded and twisted the cap off, letting Jungkook drink some water before she closed it for him.

    “What would you boys like for lunch? We can go to the cafeteria or a restaurant.” She held out a hand for Jungkook, who took it, while Taehyung and Jimin held her other hand.

    “Miss Jamie noona? Can we have bawbecoo?” Jimin asked shyly, his belly rumbling for the delicious meat.

    Jamie smiled at Jimin, leading the three boys into Namjoon’s office. “Sure, Jimin. Is that what everyone wants?” Jungkook and Taehyung quickly agreed, so they grabbed their coats and backpacks before getting in the elevator to the bottom floor.

    “Make sure you’re always holding my hand, there are lots of people on the streets,” she instructed as the four of them stepped out of the building. Taehyung gripped Jimin’s hand tightly, who held tighter to Jamie. Jungkook stepped closer to her side, nearly attached to her leg as they walked.

    “Awe we almos’ thewe yet?” Jungkook whined, his tiny legs growing tired from walking so much; really, it was only about two blocks down the street. Jamie giggled and turned the group into a doorway, quickly letting go of Jimin’s hand to open the door to the restaurant.

    “We’re here now, silly. Come on, let’s get inside,” she instructed. The children all shuffled inside and stood close to Jamie’s legs, carefully eyeing up any strangers that looked at them. They zoned out as Jamie talked to the hostess, but quickly scurried after her once they realized they were being led to their seats.

    Taehyung climbed into the booth, followed by Jimin, while Jungkook struggled to climb onto the bench seat. “T-taetae, hewp pweeze!” Jungkook cried out. His legs dangled off the floor while his upper body laid flat on the seat. Taehyung giggled and went to pull Jungkook up when Jamie picked the youngest up and plopped him next to the twins.

    “Here’s your booster seat, Jungkook,” Jamie giggled as she helped Jungkook sit in the plastic box-looking seat, strapping the belt around his belly. The boy huffed and pouted his lips, ignoring the twins talking next to him. 

    Jamie just smiled and slid a coloring page across the table, along with a packet of crayons provided by the restaurant. Jungkook glared at it, but Jamie could see his fingers twitching before he giggled and started to color. 

    The group had a peaceful lunch; Jamie was in charge of grilling the meat and vegetables, which the children complained about having to eat, while they shared stories of preschool and their friends.

    Taehyung told Jamie the funniest story of how Jimin had tried to get a cookie from the cupboard, only to end up hanging off the drawer handle by his shorts after he slipped off the counter. The two had both ended up in time out with no sweets for a week because they knew to ask for help.

    “How’s your arm doing, Jungkook? Namjoon oppa told me what happened at school,” Jamie asked after a few minutes of them eating.

    “Uhhh, is oh’tay. It huwts a wittle bit if I pway too hawd, l-like if daddy an’ I westle at home,” the youngest giggled, showing off his cast. One of the graphic designers at the company had painted it to look like Iron Man because it was red, and Iron Man was his favorite character. “I has twouble gettin’ my pants off when I gotta go potty, so I pee-pee myself sometimes.”

    Jimin and Taehyung both snickered behind their hands, and Jungkook’s bunny smile quickly fell. He poked at the few pieces of meat left on his plate, feeling super sad now. Jamie frowned at the older two, quickly shushing their laughter.

    “You two still have accidents too, so I suggest you stop laughing at Jungkook. And you still have to wear pull-ups at night as well, so you’re no better than him,” Jamie scolded, reaching over and gently brushing Jungkook’s hair from his face.

    “I sowwy, Koo…” Jimin apologized, and Taehyung mumbled an apology after his brother.

    “Is oh’tay…” Jungkook replied, patting Jimin’s head. “Fwiends ‘gain?” The twins nodded quickly, giggling about nothing with Jungkook.

    Their lunch date finished quickly, and the children were playing around the fake plants by the entrance as Jamie paid. Once she collected her check and card, she pocketed the items and walked over to the boys.

    “Are we all ready to go?” She asked, holding a hand out for the boys to take. “Alright, Taehyung is ready to go, and Jimin is ready to go. Jungkook, are you ready to go?” She looked around to see if he was hiding behind a plant, or maybe a chair.

    “Jungkook? Come on, it’s time to head back. Your daddy is waiting for you!” But Jungkook didn’t answer, nor did he come out from behind a plant or under a chair.

    Jamie was starting to get frantic, while Jimin and Taehyung looked around the area they were playing.

“I no find Kookie, noona!” Taehyung shouted as he ran back to her.

“Uhm, okay. Jimin, Taehyung, sit here and keep an eye out for Jungkook. He may just be hiding really, really well. Or he went to the potty, so stay here in case he comes out. I-I’m going to look outside,” Jamie instructed, quickly plopping the two boys onto empty seats before rushing outside.

“Jungkook!! Jungkook, where are you?? Come on Kook, it’s time to go home!” She ran up and down the block several times, searching under every bench and behind garbage cans. She asked multiple people if they had seen the four-year-old with an Iron Man cast, but they had all said no.

Returning back to the restaurant, she found Jimin and Taehyung in tears, being consoled by a waitress. “Oh, boys…” She cried, dropping to her knees to hug them tight to her chest. “We’re gonna find Jungkook, I promise.”

“P-pweeze f-find our K-Kookie…” Jimin sobbed, and Jamie quickly pulled out her phone and dialed Namjoon.

“H-hey, Namjoon oppa,” she stuttered once the line connected. She knew her job was on the line if they didn’t find Jungkook soon.

“Hey, Jamie. How’s lunch going? No one had an accident, did they? Is Jungkook okay?” Namjoon questioned, sighing as he steps out of the conference room he was just in.

“Uhm, l-lunch was fine, no one had an accident. W-well… I-I’m so sorry, oppa, it’s all my fault,” Jamie sobbed, her eyes still frantically searching every corner, every door, in hopes of Jungkook coming through one of them.

“What’s going on? What happened? Are the twins okay? Is Jungkook okay?” Namjoon started to become frantic, his mind immediately bringing up memories from when he had found out his girlfriend was going to die.

“J-Jungkook. H-he’s lost. I w-was paying while the boys were waiting by the door for me, and w-when I came over, J-Jungkook was g-gone. I-I’ve searched everywhere, I’ve asked people if they might’ve seen h-him but no one did.” Jamie held her breath as she waited for Namjoon’s reply.

“What the do you mean he’s lost?! I thought I could trust you to look after the boys for an hour! How the could you lose my child?!” Namjoon was livid, his breathing heavy as he screamed at his assistant over the line.

“I-I’m so sorry, o-oppa! I t-turned my back f-for one second!” She apologized constantly, sobbing into her palm as the scene started to attract some attention.

“This is ing unbelievable! The one ing job I gave you was to keep Jungkook in your sights at all times! And you failed to do that!”

Jamie was grateful to hear another voice on the line, and soon she was speaking with Yoongi.

“Hey, Jamie. We’re gonna meet you at the restaurant, just stay there with the twins. I’m sure Jungkook couldn’t have gotten too far if he left by himself,” Yoongi reassured Jamie as he collected a fuming Namjoon and rushed out of the building. It had only taken the two about three minutes, as Namjoon was hauling to get there.

“Dadda!!” Jimin sobbed as he caught sight of Yoongi, rushing towards him to crash into his legs. Yoongi scooped the boy up and pressed Jimin into his chest, kissing his head repeatedly. Taehyung was quick to follow, and the pale man sat on the bench with the two on his lap.

“Have you called the police yet?” Namjoon asked after a few deep breaths. He was in public, and he still had an image to maintain, though he cared more about Jungkook missing.

Jamie shook her head, wiping away a tear. “I called you first, as soon as I noticed Jungkook was gone. I-I thought that maybe he would’ve come back to the company, s-since we’re just a few blocks away,” she explained.

Namjoon hummed and waved over a waiter, telling them to get the manager. Everyone watched silently as he spoke in hushed tones to the manager, who nodded and took Namjoon into their office. The pair didn’t return until there were flashing lights outside, and police officers were walking in the door.

“Woaahhh, TaeTae, wook! Weal powice osiffers!” Jimin gasped, staring wide-eyed at the officer standing near the two boys.

The officer looked down at the twins and smiled, crouching down to their level. “Hi, boys. Do you mind if I ask you some questions?”

Jimin giggled and nodded his head quickly, perching up in the seat. Taehyung just shrunk back and hid his face in his jacket. “I wanna be a weal osiffer when I get bigs!”

The officer chuckled at Jimin. “That sounds awesome, but it’s a lot of hard work. If you can help me with some questions, I’m sure I can get some of my friends to make you an honorary officer at the station.”

Jimin giggled happily, swinging his legs. “Okay, first question: can you tell me what Jungkook was doing before he disappeared?”

“Uh-huh. We was pwayin’ by the twee and the doowr, a-and I saw a man wunnin’, but I thought he was jus’ wunnin’ ‘cause my daddy and dadda do that sometimes. Um, and then Jamie noona said it was time to go back to the buildin’ and we couldn’t find Kookie. B-but Kookie and I gots into a fight duwin’ wunch, too… D-did Kookie weave b-because of me?” Jimin sniffled, his bottom lip wobbling as he hugged Taehyung tightly and cried into his chest.

“Oh, Jimin, not at all. Sometimes friends get into fights, but they’re still friends. It’s not your fault that Jungkook is missing right now, but we’re going to find him. I promise you that,” the officer said, rubbing Jimin’s back gently.

Yoongi rushed over to Jimin and pulled him into his arms, shushing him softly. He smiled lightly at the officer before excusing them, carrying Jimin to a secluded corner. “Hey, hey, it’s okay, Minnie. The officers are gonna help us find Kookie, but it’s not your fault he got taken. Sometimes there are just really bad people in the world.”

    “Wanna go home, dadda,” Jimin whispered. His tiny fist clung to Yoongi’s fingers as he nodded and walked over to the small group. Taehyung was dozing off, his head bumping against Jamie’s shoulder while she bounced him lightly.

    “Hey, Joon, I’m gonna take the boys back to the house, they need their naps,” Yoongi leaned in close to talk in a hushed voice. “Will you and Jamie be okay while I do that?”

    Namjoon nodded, rubbing Jimin’s back. “Go ahead, I’ll stop by as soon as we’re done here.”

    “Alright, thanks Joon. And they’ll find him, he’s going to be okay.” Yoongi gave Namjoon a small smile and took Taehyung’s hand, holding Jimin a little tighter in his arms. “We’ll see you soon.”