Chapter 10

Show and Tell (NamKook/NamJin)

a/n: I’ve been up and doing things almost all day today, it’s nearing midnight and I’m still writing this for Y'all. I also have to get up earlier than noon tomorrow to take care of some college things. So enjoy (ps I can’t actually think of an idea for this chapter rn so good luck)

*third pov*

    “Oh, what doin’?” Jungkook asked, waddling over to where Taemin was playing with Ji-eun.

    “We pwayin’, Kookie!” Taemin answered, turning his back to Jungkook. “Go ‘way. I pway wif Ji-eun noona!”

    “But I wanna pway, too! We can awl pway!” Jungkook grabbed a toy that was left on the floor next to Taemin’s foot and stood awkwardly next to Ji-eun. “H-hi, Ji-eun noona…” Jungkook stuttered, his cheeks flushing red.

    The little girl just giggled at Jungkook, moving to make more room for him. “Hi, Jungoo! Come play wif us!”

    Jungkook moved to sit down when two small hands reached out and shoved him over. His shoulder knocked into the toy shelf and his arm was pinned beneath him. Jungkook gasped in shock as a shot of pain radiates up his arm from his wrist.

    “I said no! I was pwayin’ wif noona!!” Taemin shouted, throwing the heavy toy truck at Jungkook’s head. A loud wail ripped through the air as Jungkook’s eyes flooded with tears.

    “Mista Jin! Mista Seokie! Taemin and Kookie fightin’!” Another boy shouted, alerting the teachers who were trying to take care of some of the other children in the classroom. Hoseok rushed over and gently pulled Jungkook to his feet. Jin grabbed Taemin by the hand and pulled him to a lone corner of the room.

    Jungkook continued screaming, a bump now forming and starting to bruise. The poor boy’s throat was burning from how much he screamed, now begging for his appa.

    “Hey, Jungkook, come on. Let’s get you an ice pack, it’s okay,” Hoseok cooed, gently taking his hand. The child let out an even louder ear-piercing scream when he touched his wrist and tugged it back to his arm.

    “Okay, um, come on, Kookie. It’s gonna be okay. I’ll call appa,” Hoseok promised, rushing to call another teacher down to the classroom to help the other children. He was able to guide Jungkook to the tables and sat him down, gently placing an ice pack on his wrist. Jungkook’s good hand was now clutching an ice pop, and he was hiccuping as he slowly the flavored ice.

    Hoseok pulled out his phone and dialed Namjoon’s number, anxiously pressing the device to his ear while it rang. He hoped the two weren’t busy at work, because Jungkook was going to need an emergency room.

    “Hello? Hoseok?” Namjoon answered, flipping through a file on his desk. He had just finished a meeting with another company about a possible collaboration with two of their idols.

    “H-hey, Namjoon. There’s been a bit of a situation here with Jungkook. One of the children pushed him over and he landed on his wrist, I think it’s broken. He also has a bump on his head from being hit with a toy car. I need you to come to the school like, as soon as possible. Jungkook keeps asking for you, he’s really shaken up by it,” he explained in a rush.

    “What the hell?? Who the did that to him?? I’ll be right there,” he said, rushing to find his keys and wallet. Hoseok could hear him tell Yoongi that he was heading to the school. “Tell Jungkook I’ll be there soon.” He hung up the call before Hoseok could answer, and he was grateful it was the middle of the day and there wasn’t much traffic.

    “Taemin is ready to tell you and Jungkook that he apologizes,” Jin said, walking over with a very upset looking Taemin holding his hand. Hoseok let out a frustrated sigh and nodded, sitting next to Jungkook at the table. Taemin stood in front of him, not meeting his gaze.

    “What happened, Taemin?” Hoseok asked gently. The boy was already too afraid; he hurt his best friend and now was in trouble at school.

    “I-I was payin’ wiff noona… a-and didn’t wanna shawe…” He sniffed, rubbing his eyes. “Kookie came ovew an s-said he wan’ed to pway… B-but I d-didn’t wan’ him to... S-so I pushed him d-down…” Taemin burst into more sobs once he finished explaining what happened, and hid his face in Jin’s sweater.

    “Is that what happened Jungkook?” Jin asked, rubbing Taemin’s back. The youngest of the class nodded.

“I wanted to pway wiff hyungie and noona b-but he pushed me,” Jungkook explained, rubbing his eyes with his good hand. The ice pop was gone now and the garbage is thrown away. “I-I wan’ appa…”

A knock on the door interrupted Hoseok’s answer, and he walked over and pushed it open, letting Namjoon into the room. “Where’s Jungkook?” He breathed out like he was out of breath from running.

“Appa!” Jungkook cried, rushing over to his father. Namjoon bent down and picked Jungkook up, hugging him tight to his chest.

“Hey bun, I’m here now. Let’s go get that wrist checked out, okay? It’s gonna be okay. I got you now,” Namjoon cooed, packing up Jungkook’s backpack and lunch. “H-hey, Jin hyung. Is Taemin okay?”

Jin looked up and blushed at how close Namjoon was standing to him. “O-oh, he’s okay. A bit torn from what happened, he’s pretty upset from hurting Jungkook. He apologized. Just worry about getting Jungkook taken care of,” he said, brushing Jungkook’s hair back.

“Thank you, hyung. Uh, I’ll text you how it goes. I’ll see you tonight,” Namjoon smiles, leaning down and pecking Jin’s cheek softly. Jungkook whined and tugged on Namjoon’s collar. “Alright, bye hyung. Thank you, Hoseok!”

Namjoon gently buckled Jungkook into his car seat and put on Ponyo to keep him distracted while he drove to the hospital. Nearly twenty minutes later, the two pulled into the parking lot and found a spot. Namjoon helped Jungkook out and carried him into the building. Jungkook’s head rested on his shoulder as he checked in, and he curled closer to Namjoon when they took a seat.

    “How are you feeling, Jungkook?” Namjoon whispered, rubbing his baby’s back. He felt like a horrible father, letting his baby get hurt and he wasn’t even there to comfort him or protect him.

    “I’m okay, appa… It huwrts though... “ Jungkook sniffled, tears still glistening in his eyes. They didn’t fall, thankfully. Namjoon didn’t know what he would do if Jungkook started crying again. The poor boy’s throat sounded raw and painful, and Namjoon knew it would be worse if he was to start crying again.

    “Kim Jungkook?” The nurse walked into the waiting room, holding a clipboard. Namjoon stood up and carried Jungkook on his hip, following the nurse to the back. “What’s the issue today?”

    “Uh, he got pushed and landed on his arm at school. He needs x-rays, we think it could be broken,” Namjoon explained, handing Jungkook an Iron Man toy from his bag.

    “Okay. I’ll send down an order for an x-ray. I just need to take his vitals, and the doctor will be in to see him,” she said, checking on Jungkook’s vitals. She was always gentle with him, using a warm tone and happy words. Jungkook complied easily, and soon they found themselves in another room where the doctor was carefully plastering the cast around his hand and up to just below his elbow. He chose red and giggled about how he was closer to being Iron Man.

    “Okay, all set. The nurse will bring in your papers, and if he’s in any pain, some children’s pain relief will work. Keep it elevated above his heart to keep the swelling down, and try to keep it as dry as possible. Come back in six weeks and we’ll put a waterproof cast on him, and take another x-ray to see how it’s going,” the doctor said, shaking Namjoon’s hand and giving Jungkook a lollipop. They waited until the nurse came in before following her out and scheduling the next appointment.

    “Okay, Jungkook. What would you like to do?” Namjoon asked as he strapped Jungkook into the car and then slid in the front. “How about some shopping? We can go to the toy store.”

    “Yeah, appa! Shoppin’!” Jungkook giggled, kicking his feet. His mind was no longer on his broken wrist or the bump on his head.

*~*

    “Appa, I wan’ dis!” Jungkook shouted, running over with a large bunny stuffed toy. The toy was nearly twice the size of Jungkook, and the boy kept stumbling over its feet.

    “Oh my, Jungkook. That bunny is so much bigger than you,” Namjoon chuckled, taking the bunny from Jungkook’s arms. He placed it on top of the cart, along with a number of other toys that Jungkook had wanted. He didn’t normally buy many things for Jungkook often, and the boy had gone through a rough day.

    “Yeah! T’ank yew appa!” He cheered, hugging Namjoon’s legs. His cast bumped into Namjoon’s shin and the elder winced but happily picked up his boy and sat him in the seat of the cart.

    “You’re welcome, bun. But I think that’s enough toys for today. Let’s get home,” he whispered, pressing a kiss to Jungkook’s forehead. Jungkook nodded, though he wanted to buy out the entire store. He knew he had tons of toys at home to play with still, so he didn’t whine.

    Jungkook hummed and played with Namjoon’s tie while the cashier tried flirting with Namjoon, not knowing he was basically in a relationship with another guy.

    “Appa?” Jungkook asked loudly, making the cashier bite back her next sentence.

    “Yes, Kook?”

    “Are you and Mista Jin goin’ on a date tonight? ‘Cause I wanna sweep ovew at TaeTae and Diminie’s house!”

    Namjoon choked on his saliva and wished that the cashier would finish up with their items so he could get out of there.

    “Please appa? I weally wanna sweep ovew wif dem!” Jungkook begged, tugging on Namjoon’s shirt.

    “W-well, I have to ask Hoseok if that’s okay first, and I wasn’t planning on taking Jin hyung on a date today. But I guess I could, as long as Hoseok is okay with you sleeping over,” he sighed, putting the bags on the cart.

    “Yay! Thank you appa!” Jungkook giggled, going to clap his hands before realizing his arm was in fact, in a cast. He decided to just kick his legs happily again.

    He looked over at the cashier, whose cheeks were bright red with embarrassment and she kept her focus on the items she was bagging, trying to rush without damaging anything. Jungkook just smirked to himself as he added her embarrassment as a win in getting another bad person away from his appa.

    “Alright you little stinker, let’s get home,” Namjoon chuckled after he paid and pocketed his wallet, pushing the cart with Jungkook still in it to the car. He loaded everything up and strapped Jungkook in before taking the short trip back home.

    Jungkook rushed to the front door and waited not so patiently for Namjoon to open the door. Once he did, Jungkook rushed to the bathroom to his business before he dirtied his pants. Namjoon just laughed and unloaded the car, putting all the bags in the living room for now.

    “What to do now…?” Namjoon sighed, checking his phone. Hoseok was still busy at the school with Jin, and Yoongi was busy with his own work back at the company.

    “Appa! Come wipe my !”