Chapter Eight: She's Alex

In love with a Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim woke up from her slumber to the ringing of her phone by her bedside table. She reached for it, one hand wandering with her still closed eyes. A framed photo of Aom and her taken during their limelight years from way back years ago stood next to the night lamp. It accidentally came falling to the floor. The crushing sound of the frame jolted her blood from her sleepy eyes. She missed a call.

“SHOOT! Damn it!” she cursed gasping for breath, pulling herself off the duvet and picking up the photo from the floor. Five o’clock AM. She looked at the clock that stands next to another framed photo. It was a family photo taken the last time they had celebrated fathers’ day with her late mom and dad.

“Good thing you’re not totally broken.” She mumbled to herself placing back the frame on the night table beside her family photo. Apparently, her phone rang again for the second time.

‘Who in this world would call this early in the morning,’ she said yawning and reaching for her phone just as soon it went dead.

“CRAP! Not again!? Why do you have to be dead bat when I need you!” she said annoyingly to her phone while looking for her cable.

“It’s just five in the morning and I’m already having a bad hair day!” she said out loud to herself sitting up at the edge of her bed. She yawned once more stretching up her hands in the air.

“I wonder why, Aom is up so early in this time of day! Still an early bird, I say. Tsk!” flicking her tongue and rubbing her eyes off of sleep.

She connected the phone cable to an outlet near the night table and went straight to the bathroom to have her morning rituals as usual, washing her face and brushing her teeth. She tried to fix her hair raking her fingers through her dark short hair. Finishing, she went out of the bathroom, directed her footsteps straightaway to the kitchen and made herself a fresh brewed coffee. She her big screen TV and change the channel to CNN which has been her habit every morning. Listening to the news channel while having her breakfast and getting ready for work or just to break the dead silence that surrounds her. The surrounding is still dark. The first light of dawn is still on its way. She walked her way turning on the switches to the dimly lit living space of her bachelor’s pad. The left side of her flat is converted into a mini office. Consisting of a modern drawing table lit underneath a frosted glass cover and a study lamp attached to the side. A book shelf full of architectural books and magazines, rolls of floor plans were stacked on a lower shelves and a computer desktop was on the side connected to a printer. Considering it’s a bachelor’s pad, minimal partition walls were place so that it’ll be almost an open space. The room is softly lit by warm white pin lights that dances through soft tinged gray walls. She slumped her on her soft couch taking another sip savoring the aroma of her coffee. The caffeine automatically jolted her brain as it runs through her veins. The living space is enveloped by tempered glass windows from ceiling to the floor and drapes hanged on the side which acknowledged the panoramic view overlooking the city. Just like her office, the interior of her flat is simple yet elegant. Combination of straight lines and played with pin lights and soft new colors painted on the walls that define its architectural concept: Less Is More.

 

Today was not just an ordinary day, it’ll be a day she’ll spend with Aom and her family, and she hoped it’ll be worth spending it anyway. She got her own flat, good enough for her; spacious and cozy. She would rather want to have her own house with wide lawn and garden but living alone would make it lonelier for her to live in yet, she got a beach house which she seldom use.

“OH! Shoot! I almost forgot to call her back,” she sighed just as she remembered to call back and jumped out of the couch to her bed taking her phone to make a quick return call to Aom. She immediately taps on her phone and within a few rings someone answered her call.

“Hello? Good morning, Pie!” she greeted listening intently for the voice on the other line. She gazed up at the large framed photo of Aom hanging on both sides of her big flat screen TV. Not that she’s obsessed with Aom but she’s fond of looking at Aom’s photos especially when looking at those sparkling hazelnut brown eyes eased the loneliness of her heart. She took another sip of her coffee as soon as she heard Aom on the other line.

“Good morning to you too, Kim!” came a soft and y voice answered back on the other line which made her heart fluttered and beat twice faster than usual. Just hearing her voice tickles her heart all the time which made it flew to the moon and back.

‘Oh God, Not again,’ she cursed herself in a low whisper.

“Pardon? Is everything alright there?” Aom asked her from the other line, concerned.  “Ah… Um, nothing! Did I say something?” Kim lied.

“I heard you, crystal clear Kim…” Aom said on the other line letting out a soft chuckle.

“Um, Sorry about that… You called me a while ago but missed your first call then the second, my phone went dead. I’m sorry. Why did you call anyway? What’s up? Why up so early? Is there any problem that I could be of help?” Kim asked worriedly still keeping her gazed on the photo not minding the cluttering sound of the television in front of her.

“Hey! Hold your horses there, Kim!”

“Sorry…” her cheeks flashed red, embarrassed.

“Did I wake you up?”

“No, no! It’s okay, I’m already up when you called. I’m an early bird anyway…”

“I can barely sleep last night… Maybe, I still just got time adjustment from this crossing of time zones and everything…”

“Maybe,” Kim replied. She then turned around facing her window looking over the city lights. The memory of seeing and having Aom in her arms flashed back clearly on her mind.

“So, I just thought of calling you this early to remind you about later.”

“What about it?” she answered and run her fingers through her hair. Then, there was a long paused on the other line. She could hear her breathing clearly and it tickles her ear like a whisper.

“Um… Are your friends coming with us later?”

“I really don’t know yet… you want them to come with us?” Kim asked without needing an answer.

“It’s fine by me if you want them to…” she sighed in disappointment. She really wanted to be alone with Aom for just a little while, an alone time would suffice her. But on the contrary, she thought it’ll be a great idea. So that Aom’s parents will go with her friends and Alice too.

“Wouldn’t be just a bothersome for them to tug along? …I mean –“ Aom said with a hint of hesitation on her voice.

“No, No… they won’t mind at all. I knew them; they’ll love it. At least we’ll have some time off from our hectic schedules. It’ll be our pleasure to show you around LA and besides it’s your first trip here. I’ll call them later after this call and inform you right away, Pie.”

There’s a genuine happiness lit up from her face as she smiled thinking of her. Talking to Aom can make her day brighter. Definitely, she’s still into her.

“Alright! That’ll be good. Later then, Kim. Thanks!” Aom hanged up the call, she found herself smiling just by hearing Kim’s voice made heart melt at an instant. It made her felt good that Kim would spent her whole day with her.

After making a few calls from her friends, Kim made another call to Aom just to inform her that Zee and Dew would come this morning but Mario and Fern will meet them later in the day after the meeting with the Smithsons; while Nan, Shone and Ashley will just have dinner with them after work. Aom in return, sent her the hotel address and they all just meet up at the lobby.

 

 

It’s been an hour passed since she stared at those clothes hanging in her closet. And how many times she gazed at her reflection and turned herself in front of that mirror changing clothes undecided what to wear. Clothes scattered everywhere on the bed and on the floor. Unfortunately, she hadn’t decided yet what could fit her taste.

“Oh my God! Kimhan! It’s already seven in the morning! And what on god’s name can’t you decide what to wear this time!” slapping her temple in frustration. Now she’s talking to herself angry and annoyed, pacing to and fro in front of the closet.

“I just figured out lately, why it’s been a habit of mine talking to myself for quite some time now” stood in front of her mirror talking to her reflection.

“…am I going insane?? HOLY!! Should I seek help? I’m so doomed!” She slumped her whole body on the bed burying her face on her pillows. She gasped and hold her hands over . And ruffled her hair again. Really, being with Aom is still nerve-racking to her. And as a matter of fact, it’s making her insane. Totally crazy.

“Maybe taking a quick shower would clear my mind. Arg! This is harder than I thought.” She sighed desperately as she paced herself to the bathroom grabbing her towel on the way.

 

Finally, after the shower, she rummaged again through her clothing one more time and picked ripped blue jeans and baby blue long sleeves paired with Antique Sepia Converse Chuck Taylor all-star boot to match her jeans. She twirled one more time to look at her reflection in front of the mirror and flashed her dashing debonair smile in contentment. She hurriedly put on her black G-Shock watch, squeezed a small amount of hair wax and massage it through her hair with her fingers. Sprayed her favorite perfume, masculine but not too strong and now ready to go. Satisfied with her looks, she took her phone, car keys and put on her dark aviator shades and strode down to the building parking lot.

 

Seven fifty-nine. Kim is already waiting at the hotel lobby, sitting comfortably on the couch with her dark aviator shades on, further at the corner from the reception desk. After a few minutes, Zee emerged from the main entrance of the lobby towing behind is her girlfriend, Dr. Dew. The two seems like arguing about something again that made Dew pissed off. At an instant, Zee caught a glimpse of her with Dew sashayed their way to her direction.

“What’s up, dude!” greeted Zee and made their bro fist bumped.

“Hello Dr. Dew! Is my stubborn cousin here, giving you a hard time again?” Kim teasingly asked Dew rolling her eyes on Zee smirking behind her.

“Not really, But yes! She is.” Dew replied with wrinkled brows and sat beside Kim on the couch her arms crossed on chest tightly.

Knowing Zee, she’s sometimes really a pain in the . Yet, still romantic and soft. She may be tough looking from the outside yet soft in the inside. They practically grew up together and knew her inside out. While having conversations with Zee and Dew, Aom with her family following behind her approached them in her short denim skirts and simple with off shoulder shirt and white converse shoes. Probably she knew there would be a lot of walking to do cause that’s the main purpose of the day. Walking around the city.

“Hello, Dew! How are you?” Aom greeted Dew. She instantly and excitedly stood up seeing Aom in front of them and drew her into a hug.

“I’m fine, how about you? You look pretty as ever.” Dew replied back breaking from their so called sisterly hug. Aom tug her hand to introduce Dew to her parents and Alice who was just standing behind her.

“Dew, meet my mom and dad. This is my only sister, Alice.” Aom said as the excitement never fades in her eyes.

“Pleasure to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Manaying, …Alice.” She smiled and draw her hand for a handshake. Mrs. Manaying hugged her which shocked her, instant.

“Just call us aunt and uncle… doesn’t need to be formal. And besides, your friends with my daughter.” Mrs. Manaying said in her funny accent. She knew, it’s understandable that they are still hard up with the English language. Even though, Dew has a Thai blood lingering in her veins, she never learnt to speak her mother tongue. She practically grew up in LA like Nan and Mario.

“We’re glad our daughter here got some friends from different high places and it’s nice to meet a few of them.” Mr. Manaying smirked. He eyed at Kim who’s still sitting on the couch busily tapping on her phone.

“Dad, actually, Dew is a doctor. A neuro-surgeon.” She said proudly.

“Wow!” he exclaimed. His face lit enthusiastically. “That’s great! I could ask some help if I need it in the future.” Mr. Manaying said jokingly at Dew.

“I’m glad to be of help, Uncle.” Dew smiled back at Mr. and Mrs. Manaying.

“So, you all ready to go? Let’s have breakfast first, shall we?” Kim stood up and interjected the conversation before it got too long.

“Oh! There you are, architect!” Mr. Manaying said as he grinned at Kim and passed a glance back at her daughter. Aom’s face suddenly blushed and felt burning hot.  

“Just call me Kim, Sir.” She humbly replied.

“Nah, just call me uncle.” He retorted and walked closer to Kim “…or just DAD” he added in a whisper to Kim stressing the word DAD which made her blushed instantly and gently tapped her shoulder. Kim just shrugged off that awkward moment and started to walk off to the entrance door.

Mr. Manaying knew ever since the first time they met Kim, her daug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter