Chapter Seven: The Client

In love with a Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Hello, Johanne! What is it? Be sure it’s something important…” she answered irritably.

“WHAT?” she shouts over her phone, she felt her heart suddenly explodes out of her chest. Both Zee and Mario looked at her in confusion and bewilderment. Those faces that seems asking her for answers.

“Just tell her to wait for me at my office. We’ll be back as soon as we’re finished.” Then Kim hanged her call with Johanne and put her phone back in the pocket. She closed her eyes and gently massaged her temples with her forefingers. ‘I kept running away from her as much as I can at any possible circumstances, but as if the stars conspired for us to meet again.’ she shakes her head and leaned on the head rest. Zee, who is the driver at the moment took side glances at Kim, seated at the front passenger’s side, every now and then still baffled with her.

“Are you okay?” Zee tried to ease her haggard facial expressions.

“Hmm,” Kim simply replied and nod without even looking at Zee.

 Actually, Kim didn’t expect anything anymore from this possible client. She was left bewildered, like in a state of shock and excitement mixed together after all. Nobody talked among themselves, she was drifted into her deep thoughts again until they finally arrived at the jobsite. Immediately, Kim made her brief inspection on their weekly accomplishments on the project, double-checked the materials used as per specified in the plans. They got to meet with the owner, Mr. Damon, regarding the approved designs. It was already an hour past lunchtime when their inspection at the site was done.

Looks like a storm is coming, they could see black rain clouds starting to build up on the horizon and a cold gust of wind starts to blow, so they hurriedly drove back to the office before it pours down mercilessly.

Not long after on the road back to the office, a heavy down pour of rain came crushing on the car’s wind shield and the wind is gusting hard. The road is almost zero visibility and a bit slippery due to the heavy rain. Adding to that, traffic is already building up heavily along downtown which caused another 30 minutes delayed to their travel back. Kim was all stressed-out thinking about the client waiting at the office and the storm delaying her. So, she called her secretary to checked upon the client and asked to order food for them. She felt her hunger all of a sudden because of fretting and stressing out. Jam-packed traffic stressed her out more, two more blocks before they could reach the office.

“Damn! This rain… Tsk!” Kim flicked her tongue.

“It’s a good idea, dude… you let Johanne ordered the food. I’m already hungry. I could eat a whole horse.” Mario chuckled who is seated at the back.

“Me too, this traffic is stressing me out… and this rain too,” says Zee agreeing, taking a glance at Mario by the rear side mirror and then to Kim who’s seated quietly, with arms folded crossed her chest, looking outside the car window.

“Dude, remember what you told me before back in Phuket?” Kim asked out of a sudden fidgeting on her seat, turning and facing Zee. There was a palpable wary on Zee’s face as she took a glance on Kim’s side and then back on the road.

“Which is which dude? We’ve talked a lot of things while we’re in Phuket. Be specific here, dude.” Zee responded her with her filthy smile again. She knew who exactly is waiting at the office and about the call with Johanne which stressed her out lately. She gave her the address and Kim’s private phone number.

“Hey guys! Can you just go directly to the point? Don’t leave me in the dark here,” Mario said a bit irritated with the drama he’s witnessing right now.

“Alright, relax. You’re one impatient man, Mario.” Kim retorted holding her hands in the air, surrendered.

“Actually, Mario… Aom and I had a little talk back in Phuket. She wanted Kim to be her Architect. She owns this parcel of land a few kilometers outside Bangkok… and planned to build a villa for herself and her family.” Zee clarifies in behalf of Kim.

“One more thing Kim, I gave her the office address and your phone number… I’m sorry,” Zee grins at Kim sheepishly.

“You sly dog, you –“ Kim gave her a punch on her shoulders.

“Easy there, Romeo!” Zee laughed at her cousin’s annoyance.

“So, that’s why she’s here in LA, like right now? …at the office? Is that it?” Mario look at the both of them for confirmation about his speculations.

“Hmm, exactly!” Kim confirmed.

Before they realized, their car is already making its slow turn and pulling over in front of a familiar building. They already arrived at the office.

 

_______________

 

 

“Sweetie, are you sure this is the right place? Maybe she’s not in there?” says mama phan looking up to the two tall building connected by a bridge made of steel and glass, just like the PETRONAS Tower of Malaysia. She’s feeling a bit hesitant to enter the wide glass doors at the main floor of the building.

“Yes mom, this is the address Zee gave to me before they left Thailand a few weeks ago… and besides, the cab driver says this is the right address. It says KMPG Tower. This is the building where their office is located. It says here 28th floor.” Aom says taking a brief look at the gold card in her hand. And she gently squeezed her mom’s hand reassuring her about her doubts. She looked up again and her gaze back to the card in her hand, double checks.

“Zee told me to ask the guard on duty if ever I can’t find the office…she even left Kim’s phone number here.” Aom added as she heads their way to the main entrance door to the lobby. “I did try to call the number but she never picked it up.” Aom sighed in frustration.

“Maybe she’s just busy. Don’t worry, everything will turn out right,” her dad said.

 

As a matter of fact, it was Aom’s first time to visit LA with her family, Papa Prasong and Mama phan held each other’s’ hand and Alice, her sister who’s busy taking pictures of LA came in following her. She had travelled a lot of places already, mostly Europe; Paris, London and Asian countries like China, South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia and Indonesia but not America. She never thought all her life to set foot in the land of so-called freedom. The weather here in LA is a more temperate than in Paris and London.

 It’s been a gloomy morning for the first day of visit in LA. They, just arrived yesterday afternoon and haven’t toured around LA yet. She had to finish first the main purpose of their trip to America, to meet with her Architect. There are lots of talented architects in Thailand but she wants Kim to build her dream castle for her family. She trusted her talent to showcase the best of what Kim can do. And maybe, the best alibi to see Kim again. She sensed that Kim hadn’t heard the news about her break-up with Mike lately. She knew exactly it’s not Kim’s nature to be interested in showbiz entertainment news. Kim’s perspective on that matter is plain and simple; reading and listening to showbiz personalities’ secret lives is just a waste of time and energy though. It’s really a sudden decision but she never regretted anything. Her parents have been so very supportive of her and Alice who always been there for her for the countless times already.

It was already ten in the morning and yet busy people of different colors in their business suit came in and out of the building. Aom and her family followed their footsteps to the elevator and up to the 28th floor where the JITTALEELA INFINITY BUILDERS: Architects, Engineers, and Designers office is located. The elevator came to a halt and opened right where the office is located.

“Whoa! Is this her office?” Alice gaped stepping out from the lift.

“I’m impressed with your friend, honey… she already had accomplished a lot just by looking at the glass façade of the office.” Papa Prasong complimented and throwing a glance at her daughter. Just by looking through the fiber glass wall, the interior of the office boasts the simplicity and elegance of the interiors.

“Yes sissy. It’s true! Kim’s girlfriend must be so damn lucky to have her,” Alice said without skipping a beat not even looking at Aom. Aom wrinkled her nose and felt annoyed to what her sister said but let it pass her nerves. They walked inside the office and she caught the sight of a woman walking at their direction.

“Hello, Good morning! How may I help you?” greeted a tall woman with a blond hair. Her angelic face and blue eyes sparkles flaunted a welcoming smile.

“She must be the secretary or receptionist… or maybe P’Kim’s girlfriend!” Alice whispered over Aom’s shoulders which jolted Aom to her feet and looked at the woman intently. She could feel a pinch of pain just thinking Kim would probably have hooked up with someone else already.

“We’re actually looking for Kimhan Jittaleela. I’m her friend from Thailand and Zee gave me the address of your office.” Aom said politely hiding her resentment towards this woman.

“Actually Miss…” the woman was unable to finish her sentence, Aom cut her off.

“It’s Aom. Aom Sushar…” Aom confidently introduced herself, flashed her sweetest smiles and draw her hand for a handshake which the latter took it and smiled lovingly at Aom.

“Johanne Smith, Architect Kimhan’s secretary. Nice to meet you Miss Aom… make yourself comfortable here while you wait for Architect Kim.” She ushered them to the couch at the receiving area.

“Honestly speaking Miss Aom, the architect is out today for their weekly site visitation and meeting with the owner. If you could wait, I’ll make a call and inform her your presence. I’ll call for Miss Fern, our interior designer in behalf of Architect Kimhan.” Johanne added informing them.

“Thank you, Miss Johanne. In fact, I tried contacting her number a while ago but she never answered my call.” Aom said with a downcast voice bowed her head looking down at her fingers playing her phone.

“Maybe, she’s in the middle of a meeting Miss Aom. Sometimes architect Kimh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter