Chapter Eleven: Just Business

In love with a Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kim, Zee and Aom’s family with their entire luggage, stands in the middle of the crowded LAX airport lobby ready for checking in. Well, this is one of the busiest airports in the world. All sorts of emotions unfold before the very eyes. And thousands of people come and go. This is the first time Kim is sending Aom off at the airport. The pain of being apart from each other is crushing them by the second. Kim wasn’t ready yet to be separated from Aom but neither one of them got no other choice. This is how it should be. They both live on both opposite sides of the world. Life must go on for the both of them.

Aom’s parents gave Kim and Zee their goodbyes and thank both of them for the wonderful time they had. Alice bids her goodbye and hugs them too.

“Thanks P’Kim. You made my sister happy again. You guys made us happy. I personally enjoyed our visit here in LA. Hope to be back here soon.”

“Hmm… no big deal!” Kim nods and smile at Alice. “Let’s say, why not spend your holidays here for a change?”

“Of course, I’ll tell mom and dad about it. As of now, you take care, okay?” Alice said hopeful.

“You too, take care.”

 Then Alice turned to Zee. “Thanks Zee and please tell Dr. Dew, thank you.”

“Anytime Alice and will do. We’ll see you again in a few weeks, I guess.” Zee grinned and glanced at Kim.

“Calling all passengers bound for….” The airport attendant had started calling for their flight at the background. It’s another dragging almost 15-hour flight to Bangkok. Luckily, they got their seats at the first class flight.

“Well, I guess that’s us...” Aom snaps. Kim draws her into her arms not wanting to let go. Aom replied into a tighter embrace. Her face buried in Kim’s chest which has been soaked with Aom’s tears. Kim her back soothing her sobs, comforting her.

“I’ll be there in a few weeks, baby. I promise to come and visit you soon. Now stop crying. You might ruin your make-up.” Kim giggled as she softly kissed her head inhaling her sweet scent.

“You promise, huh? I’ll miss you, baby.” Aom says looking up at Kim with her blood shot eyes.

“Yes. I promise, I will. After New York, I’ll be there. You take care always. I’ll call you every day if I could.”

“You too, take care, okay? And Kim,” She pulled herself away at arm’s length from Kim. “I know you and Zee! No womanizing!” says Aom shooting those don’t-you-dare-try glares at her. Those glares always give Kim the goosebumps.

“I know baby. And I won’t.” Kim chuckles.

“Good! I better get going…”

“Have a safe flight, Pie.”

Kim hugs her tightly before letting go her petite princess and kissed her slow and passionately.

“I love you so much, baby…” Kim whispered.  

“I love you too… so much Kimhan,” Aom murmured hugging Kim before walking off with her family to the check in counter. Kim waved her goodbye until they were out of sight into the crowd of busy passengers. She tried her hardest to suppress her tears from falling. So, Zee has to tug her out of the airport to the parking lot.

 

 

 

“You are such a baby, Kim…” Zee rolled her eyes.

“No, I’m not” Kim recoiled.

“Yes, you are,” Zee yelled as she playfully pushed Kim away from her.

“Am not.” She hissed. “Let’s just head back to the office and I think, we have lots of work that needs to be finished right on time before going to New York and Bangkok. And about the inland resort,” Kim tells Zee while on their way to the airport parking area.

“What about it? What’s in New York?” Zee frowns as she tucks her hands inside her pockets fishing for her car keys.

“Wait. I’ll call Johanne to inform everybody for a meeting this afternoon. We have to do more outputs in shorter period of time. I want things done faster this time.”

“Why the big rush?”

“Projects have been piling up. I can’t afford to lose any. So, I suggest we head back to the office.”

“Hey, why not grab a lunch first before heading, you know lunch? I’m starving here, dude.” Zee says sardonically holding her hand in her stomach.

“Okay fine, lunch it is.” She glares at Zee surrendering to her tantrums. She holds her car keys opening the door and step inside her car. She heard Zee shouts from inside the car parked beside hers.

“Let’s head to the nearest diner. Your treat,” Zee grins at her and sped off.

 

____________

 

 

Kim spreads all the inland resort, the Manaying and the new Johnson villa plans out over the conference table. She really has spectacular ideas on these different projects. Each one is distinct from one another. Then, the wide screen monitor came to life with slides showing the perspective of the Smithson inland resort.

“Well,” Kim started as everybody settled down to their seats. “Are we all here?” Kim asked; her face serious and firm.

“Yes, we are except for Nan. But she’s on her way. You know traffic.” Mario says apologetically.

“Alright, let’s tackle this one after the other. Don’t worry about the dinner. I have Johanne ordered for us. I’ll have them charged on your accounts.” Kim prompts.

“Dude!” Zee exclaimed. Surprised. You’re joking, right?”

“Unbelievable!” Mario exhales shaking his head. Disappointed.

“Hey boss! I thought there’s free food during meetings?” Shone asked confused.

“Can’t you guys take a joke now? There’s always free food on this company, aren’t we?” Kim squints at them. “Spoiled brats,” murmurs Kim.

“Yeah. Yeah, right!”

“Come on, guys! Let’s be serious! I want things done before due dates. We can’t lose these projects now.” Kim landed both her palms on the table with a loud thud. Enraged with the group’s whining and complaining. “Fern, I want those interior design presentations by the end of the week.”

“…on what project?”

“Both Manaying and Johnson project,” She said irritably.

“What? You’re going to kill me, Kim. That’s four days ‘til weekend.” Fern complains and begun massaging her temples.

“You’ve got your new apprentice, haven’t you? And besides, I really need those for next week’s meeting in New York.”

“Yes. B-but…” Fern protested. But Kim gave her a stern look. “Alright! I got it.” Fern holds her hands up submitting in her defeat.

“Guys, can’t we take a little pressure now, anymore? It’s time to focus and put our heads back in the game again. Don’t you all tell me you’re all losing it?” Kim rants. The annoying complaints got into her nerves by the second.

Zee holds her chin in her hand leaning her back on her chair. She faced Kim interestedly. “So, what is this new Johnson project about? And who’s Johnson? There are lots of Johnson here in the state. Try to be more specific, Kim.”

And from out of nowhere, Nan came bursting through the door panting holding all her white prints in her arms and her bag swinging in all directions. All six pairs of eyes turned in her direction; all shocked. She hastily took the nearest empty seat beside Shone accidentally dropping all the white prints all over the floor. Shone helped her quickly placing it all on the table.

“Sorry guys, I’m late. You know traffic and there’s a small accident at the jobsite. So, I have to hold an emergency meeting with boys.”

“It’s okay. We’re just starting.”

“So, what did I miss?”

“Miss Johnson.” They all exclaimed in unison.

“O-kay?” Nan grinned.

Kim heaved a deep sigh and rests both hands on her waist. She undoes the two top buttons of her shirt and loosens her tie. Then, she proceeds with their discussions.

“Okay people. So, this Johnson project is a fifty-million-dollar contract. It’s an elegant country villa in the heart of Texas. Not exactly inside the city limits. But just a few minutes’ drive outside the city limits. It has an area of thirty acres of land ready to build on. It has a slight rolling terrain which I think is good for the design I prepared. Good location for someone like her from the industry who wants to have some peaceful and quiet life. The vicinity provides lots of privacy for someone like her status.”

“So, Kim, who is this Johnson?” Nan asked interestedly.

“Dakota Johnson,” Kim snaps nonchalantly.

“Dakota Johnson? As in the REAL Dakota Johnson?” Shone exhilaratingly clapped his hands in excitement. Just like a kid with a new toy.

“Who in this freaking planet of s doesn’t even know Dakota Johnson? ! All of America knows her,” Nan says matter-of-factly.

“Me.” Kim says flatly. All heads turned to her direction stunned with the sudden innocent revelation from the mighty Kimhan.

“Huh, You? Kim?” Mario’s eyes widen. Shocked.

“I don’t believe you!” mouths Nan.

“How come you didn’t know her and yet you got this project from her?” Fern asked, surprised.

Kim touched her chin with her fingers. Her lips pursed into a flat line. She lowered her body into the swivel chair and leans back comfortably.

“Oh that. I really didn’t know who she was until today. She just said she’s Dakota Johnson and that’s it. You all knew, I don’t care about celebrity life and who the hell they are. She sent me the details through my e-mail and she gave me a call to confirm it. Johanne gave her my number. Alex was the one who recommended, actually. They’re friends. Alex did give me heads up a few days ago regarding this matter,” Says Kim matter-of-factly.

“Whoa!” mouths Ashley, leaving her in awe.

“Yeah, sometimes being in show business has those perks.” Shone grins.

“So you haven’t seen the movie, Kim? Honestly?” asks Zee sidetracking. But still keeps her eyes on Kim, intrigue.

“What movie? No.” Kim snarled shaking her head.

“What planet did you came from, Kim?” snorts Zee.

“It’s true! I’m not joking. I don’t know who she is. All I know, she told me she’s a celebrity.” Kim let out an indignant tone in her voice. She crosses her arms tight on her chest. Yet, the bantering about her not knowing Miss Johnson never died down.

“Oh! My god! I could have squirmed in my pants just looking at her.” Nan squealed.

“You are living a boring and dull life, Kim.” Zee groaned.

“Hey Zee, give our little tiger some pointers who Miss Johnson is? She’s kidding me.” Mario laughs driving their friendly bantering.

“Yeah, yeah! I get it.” Zee stood up circling her pointer finger in the air. “Kim before we go out for that New York trip, you need to know Miss Johnson’s background. I and the boys will have that Saturday night hangout at your place. I mean, at the beach house. Just prepare popcorns and beers. That’ll be great!”

Kim is left agape, squints at Zee. Confused. “What do you mean? And why at my place? Why not yours?”

“Well…” Zee scratches the back of the head. “…because my beautiful Doctor Dew is staying at my place this weekend and I don’t want her to watch that movie. It’ll be just the boys. Okay? And besides, ask Fern. They have ladies night out on Saturday including Ash here.”

“Stop it, you erts! We’re here on a business meeting not a Saturday night hangout.” Fern snapped and gave them disgusting look. All six pairs of eyes turned to Fern.

Kim sighed raking her fingers through her short silky black hair. She looked at her team disgusted, shaking her head. And finally took the Manaying villa plan and spread carefully over the table. “Okay, Saturday night it is but enough with all of your erted minds. Let’s get into business.” Her tone is calm yet playful.

 

____________

 

 

Meanwhile at the Suvarnabhumi Airport, a swarm of paparazzi had jammed packed the already crowded airport. Her arrival at the airport in Bangkok is now causing ruckus along the crowded airport. They’ve been waiting for her to get the latest scoop on her life. Some were too persuasive to push queries about her travel to LA.

“It’s Aom Sushar!” a man shouts from the crowd holding his camera ready to take a few shots of Aom walking out of the arrival area. Papa Prasong and an airport attendant kept pushing their luggage on a trolley out. But with all the media men and fans crowding them, airport security men assisted them on their way out through the exits.

“Come on, there she is!”

“Aom! Aom!” calls the reporters as they approach Aom. The security men escorted Aom and her family on the way out of the crowded airport lobby. These paparazzi have been making her life a little upside down with all these ambushed interviews and taking pictures of her. Their persistence on hot gossips like Aom had been very intriguing and curiosity arises among these media people.

“How was your extended vacation in Los Angeles?”

“Who did you visit there?”

“Did Mike know about this rumored boyfriend?”

“How did he react to these issues?”

“Is your visit connected to your rumored new boyfriend? Is he an American? Or a Thai living in the US?” a woman asked holding a microphone squeezed into the crowd as they move along and through the exits. Aom stopped for a moment just to give a simple comment. She’s been mummed all these past few months regarding her personal life. She’s been avoiding interviews and comments in accounts to personal matter. Her inner goddess awoke from her slumber still in jetlag. She stomped her foot and scowled at her. ‘Not this time Aom. Are you sure you want to give a comment?’ She defeated her inner goddess.

“All I can say is I’m happy at the moment being with my family and spending time with them. It’s been awhile since the last vacation we had. But, I’m glad to be back here. That’s all for now, Thank you.” Aom smiles as camera flashes never stops.

“Don’t you have more comments aside from that?” a middle-aged woman from the media scowled from the back.

“Okay everyone! Let her through!” one of the security team boomed at the reporters as they squeezed their way out.

Finally, they reached the main exit doors in one piece. A white coaster van waits at the exits for them. They all settled in inside the van when her phone rings constantly to a familiar tone. She already set that ringtone to one and only person. Grabbing her bag and fished for her phone to answer her caller.

“Hi” says the familiar voice from the other line. It’s soothing and comforting. She missed that voice like a century ago.

“Hi baby,” Aom replied excitedly. She’s been hugging herself talking to her phone while their van is going through the trafficked roads of Bangkok.

“How’s the flight?” Kim’s voice is warm. Calming and pacifying the stresses all through her.

“Tiring, I guess. You’re not here to entertain me.”

“What kind of entertainment do you prefer? Is it the one that makes you sweat?” Kim laughs at the other line.

“No. But yes.” Aom giggled at her phone.

“ually entertained, you mean?” Aom could hear Kim chuckle all the way the other line. “I wish I could, baby. But apparently, I can’t. But next time I’ll see you, I will.”

“Sure you would, looking forward to it.” She grinned. “What time is it there?” she asked and turned her back from Alice who is seated next to her looking through the window.

“It’s twelve past eleven.”

“Oh! My god! I missed you so much, already.” Aom whined.

“I missed you, too, baby! You drive me so crazy. I wish I wouldn’t have to work and be with you all the time.”

“Have you had your dinner yet? I don’t want you skipping meals again. I don’t want you to get sick before you can say Bangkok.” Aom scowled at her phone in exasperation.

“I did. I just got here an hour ago. I had a few round checks to the restaurants and we had a meeting at the office this afternoon. So, I had Johanne ordered dinner. You know… polishing all the plans before the client meeting.”

“Where are you? Are you at your apartment?” Aom queried.

“Yeah, I’m home. In my office, going through all your plans and making all the necessary revisions.”

“Baby, don’t overwork yourself. You need rest. I don’t want to be widowed before we get married.” She grinned on her phone.

Suddenly, Kim is resolutely silent over the other end of the line. She says nothing. It was dead silence for like a minute or so.

“Hello? Baby? Are you still there?” Aom’s voice got a little worried.

“Still here baby…” Kim mumbled hesitantly.

“It’s just a joke.” She felt guilty, biting her lower lip.

“No…no, it’s okay. Don’t worry; someday I’m going to marry you. I promise. ” Her voice is hoarse and resonantly hesitant. “So where are you heading to this time?”

She heard her groaned. Now, she felt relieved. “You promise, huh? Well, I’ll have to rest for today and I’ll be at the office by eight in the morning tomorrow. Do you remember? I told you. I have a contract with China TV5. It’s a TV drama series and I’ll be staying there like for two to three months of taping.”

“Oh! Yeah! I remember. Email me the details when will be your flight back to Bangkok so I will know my schedules too.”

“Okay. Take a rest now. Talk to you later, baby. I love you!”

“Yeah, I love you, too. Laters baby.”

Neither of them wants to hang up the phone. They could hear each other breathing.

“Baby, hang up.”

“No, you hang up.”

“O-kay.” Aom grinned stupidly at her phone as she taps the ‘end-call’ button.

“You do love her that much, don’t you?” Alice snorted as she throws a small pillow at Aom.

Aom has been obviously glowing and radiant. She is really in love with Kim.

 

__________

 

 

Zee and Kim have finally landed at John F. Kennedy international airport on queue at the baggage conveyor, waiting. They got themselves ready for this meeting and Zee is too excited to see Miss Johnson, actually. It’s one of her weaknesses - beautiful women with beautiful smiles. They dragged their luggage out of the airport lobby. The weather should be fine according to weather forecast. But as they exit, it’s been raining cats and dogs in New York. And it’s really free

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter