Chapter Four: Phuket Getaway

In love with a Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Hey kiddo, How are you? It’s been ages I haven’t seen you… so, what’s up?” P’Nay widens her smiles while she listens intently to her phone.

 “I’m sorry, kid. I’ve been totally busy lately, got a new project again with P’Klui... Since when you’re here? Okay, then…I’ll take the flight tomorrow as soon as I wrapped things up here…I’m doing well; still handsome, I guess.” She chuckles heartily over the phone. Then, she pauses to listen again.

“We’re already finished shooting the last part. Okay, I promise; I won’t tell anyone about it. But I think, P’Klui would love to come, too… alright then, you take care. Say hi to your sister for me… yeah, I miss you, too, kiddo… see you then. Bye!”

 P’Nay smiled brightly as she ended her call. She’s shaking her head and deposited her phone in her pocket. She missed Kim, too. They’ve been close friends since their YON days. Kim practically grown in the industry under her wings and became Kim’s confidant. All through the years they’ve stayed connected even though Kim left the limelight.

After her call, she went back to her monitor to check with her cameraman the last part. They’ve been editing and adjusting the film ready to be wrapped up in the studio.

“P’Nay,” Aom called her attention and walking into her direction. “Can I talk to you for a second in private? If you please,” says Aom. She gazes at P’Nay, pleading.

“Is there a problem, Aom?” P’Nay asks. Her brows furrows, she knew right away what Aom needs to know. She’d been asking her a lot these past few weeks about Kim.

“Um, it’s something I need you to help me, please.” Aom whispers her plead.

She knew P’Nay is hiding something from her. She need to know if it’s Kim she’s been talking to over the phone.  She got this gut feeling that it was Kim. Those who are close to her call her kid, kiddo, or tiger. She tugged P’Nay away from everyone in the set and the latter just followed.

“What is it Aom? Is this really necessary?” asked P’Nay confused.

“Yes.” She whispered.

She doesn’t want Mike to over hear their conversation or things might get complicated between them. This isn’t the right time yet. She needs to confirm everything and a closure between her and Kim before she fully decides whether to marry Mike and live with full of regrets or solely follow her heart. . She inhales sharply. She needs to do this. Or just let the opportunity to just slip away from her grasp.

“P’Nay, I’m sorry;” she murmured. She exhales heavily, again. Nervous and fidgeting. “I heard your conversation over the phone. I know; Kim is back in Thailand for a short vacation. I’ve meet P’Air, her family and her American friends yesterday including Zee at the Restaurant yesterday afternoon.” She glances over her shoulder checking if someone might hear their conversation. She swallowed hard. “Even Hongyok was there. But it’s sad to tell she wasn’t there…” she said with obvious sadness in her tone.

“You eavesdropped? Hongyok? Really?” P’Nay gasped.

“Yes, I didn’t know how she met her, but she’s with them. I’m sorry.”

“Oh, I remember. She had a sister that’s based in LA. And according to what she told me before, she’s an interior designer for Kimhan.”

“If it wasn’t for Mike, I could have seen her yesterday…” she says dropping her head low in frustration. Then, she tugged P’Nay’s arm for plea. “If you please, pretty, pretty please, help me meet her up. I need to see her. I need answers to all my questions that’s bugging me all these years. I need a closure…” Aom cried pleading tugging P’Nay like a child having tantrums.

“Aom…” P’Nay furrows her brows.

“Please, P’Nay…” she insists.

“Okay…” P’Nay inhaled heavily placing her both her hands on her waist. “I’ll tell you what… I really don’t have the right to tell you this. But it’s Kim’s request not to tell anybody that she’s here. You know… she needs her privacy. And of course, not to bother you with her anymore. I guess, she already knew, you are engaged to Mike. But…” P’Nay gave Aom a warning look about she’s going to say and about Mike. They both glance at him busy talking to a group of media reporters at the set. He loves talking and blabbering about himself to these pieces of craps that love to information for a scoop.

 P’Nay gave her a few details and agreed to keep it low key. And after that she went back to the set where Mike was. Aom felt relieved and she’s really going this time around without Mike.  Maybe, this one will be her first step to her freedom.

 

____________

 

 

It’s eight thirty in the morning. The sleepless airport is already crowded.

“I think I’m going to enjoy this trip so much… the view, the sea and the girls in their bikinis… whoa! What a view!” Shone sighed dreamily. He put his dark shades on as he and Kim walked across the airport lobby tugging their luggage to the departure area.

Kim also put her dark shades on, so as not to catch the attention of the crowd who might notice her presence and to avoid any commotions in the crowd.

“Shone, please stop daydreaming about those girls in bikinis, haven’t you had enough in LA?” she said annoyingly. She glances back at Shone who’s now busy checking at the bevy of girls, giggling and looking at their direction.

“Get real man! Thai girls are so…hot! I love it. Too hot to handle, I must say.” he grinned impishly. 

“How can you say that?” Kim snorts.

They stopped in their tracks in the middle of the lobby. Shone stopped in his track and tugged Kim’s arm to face him.

“Come on, dude. Look, Aom is Thai so is Hongyok, Dr. Dew, and Fern-”

“…and you are Chinese American by descent,” says Kim rolling her eyes.

“No! I mean- yes, I am.”

“Hey, what are you two up this time?” Zee stood between the two.

Shone turned to face Zee, “Look here, dude. I said Thai girls are so hot and are too hot to handle too. There’s Aom, Hongyok, Fern, and Dr. Dew.” Shone explains.

“I agree,” Zee snapped and started to push both Shone and Kim to the departure area.

“What? No.” Kim yelped disagreed and left agape. “These girls are not pure bloods. Hybrid,”

“Huh?” Shone squints at her. “You think they are some kind bred of dogs?”

“No. I mean-” Kim sighed desperately biting her lower lip. “They are a mixture of cultures. Much as Aom has a Chinese descent in her blood.”

“Uh-huh, But-” Shone countered but Zee is too, quick to cut him off.

“Okay, that’s enough discussion for today, kids. You’re not going anywhere with that.” Zee says butting in again breaking the two apart. Zee knew if not breaking them apart it’ll be a great debate and she’ll be exhausted listening in their pointless bantering.

Just before nine, Mario and the rest arrived at the departure area.

“Wait!  Where’s P’Air? And Kenji?” Fern asked to no one.

“I already made a phone call, they’ll be here in a few… you know, traffic.” Kim replied without even taking a quick glance at Fern. She’s busy tapping on her checking for new emails from the office.

“Dude,” Zee says quietly.

“Who? You should be more specific which of us you are referring to,” Kim smirked.

“Alright- stop being such an arse.”

“Arse?” asks Nan. “Oh you mean ,”

“Whoa! Look who’s talking here?” Shone grins mischievously.

“Stop it, I’m serious.”

“Uh-huh? Make believe,”

“- I almost forgot,” Kim muttered. “Is it okay with you guys if P’Nay, my former mentor would come along with us to Phuket? I think one or two of her friends would like to tug along.”

“No problem, amigo. As long as our tiger is okay with them, it’s okay with me,” says Nan agreeing.

“It’s fine by me,” Mario shrugs.

“No worries,” Fern smiles.

“I got nothing to say about it, I knew Pnay. But I just wonder who might be her friends coming with her.” Hongyok said timidly.

“I got no idea who might be,” Kim quipped whereas scanning her phone’s social media apps. 

“Sis, I’ll introduce you to P’Nay. She’s a Thai director. She might give you a career in modeling here in Thailand for a change,” said Hongyok teasingly. Mario pouted at both sisters in protest.

“Hey! That would be unfair. How about me?” he protested. “I would be left alone in LA, if that will be the case.” Mario pouted as he leans his head on Fern’s shoulders in disagreement. But Fern just laugh at the thought of his childish reaction.

“Alright, then. I’ll introduce all you guys to P’Nay.” Hongyok sighed defeated.

“Okay, what time we’ll be arriving at Phuket?” Zee Asked checking her watch.

“Our flight takes off at nine thirty later; it’s a thirty to forty five minutes flight. Let’s say ten fifteen, touchdown Phuket. Why?”

“Dew must be at Phuket International Airport the same time we’ll arrive there,” Zee said. “I’ll just meet her at the lobby.” Her face is gleaming brightly.

“Um,” Kim nods.

 She’s so excited to spend quality time with her girlfriend away from the busy world. Both of them have been so busy with work in the past few months. She can’t even remember when the last vacation they spent together.

“Check-in time, people. Hurry up!” Mario raises his voice.

Kim is now pacing to and fro, worried about P’Air and her family haven’t arrive yet. She taps her phone one more time to call.

“Uncle Kim,” Andy shrilled running over to her and Ally behind.

“Where’s your mama?”

“Right here, Kim. Sorry about that. Traffic gets worst every day,” says P’Air panting and gasping.

“No need for that. Let’s just hurry. Do you have your tickets with you?”

“Yes, it’s here.”

“Where’s Kenji?” Kim glance back looking for Kenji.

“I’m right here. Whew! That was close.”

“Okay let’s go, head straight to the boarding gate.” Kim hurried everyone to the boarding gate. They still got fifteen minutes spare to board their flight.

 

 

Touchdown Phuket, they met Dew at the airport lobby waiting for their arrival. Her flight arrived an hour earlier. They travelled directly at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort and Spa, an exotic island resort located along Andaman Sea. They took a 10-minute drive by speedboat from Ao Por Grand Marina which they enjoyed so much. And it took them a 25-minute drive from Phuket International Airport to Ao Por Grand Marina. They planned to stay there for 4 days and return back to Bangkok for two more days before they’ll head back to LA.

 

They check-in at the resort as soon as they arrived at the dock just after midday. The island itself is a paradise. However, the small island resort is clustered with small white-painted villas, a few specialty shops and restaurants. It also added some amenities for recreation and infinity pools. It’s a perfect getaway to enjoy and relax away from the busy city life. They got themselves 3-bedroom semidetached villas with queen sized beds, toilet and bath, and it includes a hot tub, a kitchenette, a living space with large flat screen TV and a veranda overlooking the beach. It has easy access to the pools and spa where they can enjoy pampering massage treatments. Mario, Fern, Hongyok and Nan will go together. Zee together with Dew, Kim and Shone will share the other villa next to Mario’s and of course, P’Air’s family would take a separate villa. The villa next to Kim’s will be P’Nay’s and her friends.

“This is paradise,” exclaimed Zee admiring. Dew came right beside her at the veranda overlooking the azure blue water of the Andaman Sea.

“It’s amazing,” says Dew in awe. Zee moved behind her, hugging her.

“You love it?” Zee whispered, leaning her head over Dew’s shoulder.

“I’m going to love this place, honey,” says Dew and gave Zee a kiss on the cheeks.

“I know you do,” Zee murmured and kissed her hair.

“I missed you... it’s been a long time since we did this,”

“We’ll go back here for our honeymoon…” Zee grins earning her a soft punch on the shoulder.

Just as Shone emerged from the doorway to the veranda, he jumped right unto one of the lounger.  “Whoa! What do we have here?” Shone interrupted teasing Zee and Dew. “Phew, lovebirds!” he exhales.

“You’re sure is a buzz kill, Shone.” Dew says rolling her eyes playfully.

“Get outa here, dude. Mood killer,” Zee growls at Shone.

“Just go on, don’t mind me here,” Shone laughs.

At the doorway, Kim leans at the threshold staring right through the horizon behind where Dew and Zee stands.

He strides over to her. “Kim, my man!” says Shone as he made a bro fist bump with Kim.

“This two thinks I’m a buzz kill. I’m going to take a dip by the pool. Are you coming?”

“Maybe later,” Kim shrugs.

As Shone is about to enter the living room, Nan together with Hongyok walks towards the veranda holding six bottles of ice cold Budweiser beer on her both hands.

“I think maybe later is great,” Shone murmured turning back on his tracks. He leans his back prompt on one of the sun lounger.

“I thought you’d pass these cold drinks today?” Nan asks as she puts down the beer on the small table. She help Hongyok sit and pass beers to everyone.

“Kim, you okay?” Nan asks. She hands her a bottle of bud.

“I’m good.” Kim nods unscrewing the bottle crown.

“Hey Zee, wanna have a drink? Dew can have one, too? Is it okay?”

“Of course, why wouldn’t it be okay? We’re here to relax and enjoy.” Dew smirked and took the bottle.

“Hey Nan, let’s go to the beach later…Wear your best bathing suit, honey,” Shone teased which brought the pack to a hearty guffaw.

“I think I’m gonna p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter