Chapter Twelve: Apologies

In love with a Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It is weekend and it only means that their office is usually closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Since Aom came into her life, Kim spent her weekends at the beach house to relax and unwind; to literally detoxify herself from the whole week’s toxic workloads and stresses. One way or the other, Kim utilized her time to contemplate and to get away for a while from her chaotic city life. It’s been a week since they came back from their client meeting in New York.  And disappointingly, it’s been ten days that Aom hadn’t spoken or answered any of her calls and messages after the phone call incident with Alex. It added mostly to all her stresses at her work and managing her restaurants.

Inasmuch as Kim wanted to stay in the comfort of her bed and sleep the whole day, she woke up badly on a constant honking of car by her driveway. Then seconds after, her doorbell rang continuously. Reluctantly, she got up from her bed to answer her front door grumpily. She rubbed her eyes from sleep as she peeked through the small fixed glass windows mounted by the door frame before opening her door for Zee and Dew.

“‘Morning, tiger,” Zee says. “It’s about time. We brought you breakfast.” She walked passed Kim through the front door and straight to the kitchen. She places two paper bags and cups of hot coffees over the table.

Kim blinks twice following her gaze where Zee stands by the kitchen island which she assumes were bought from a well-known fast-food chain.

“Thanks, but the last time I checked, my coffeemaker works perfectly fine.” Kim said sarcastically rolling her eyes at Zee. “Why are you so early banging my whole front door down? You almost broke it into pieces, douche.”

“It’s already ten in the morning, dude. All the birds and the bees have all gone to work,” Zee yelled from the kitchen.

“It’s weekend for crying out loud. What’s wrong with you people if I wanted to just lie in my bed and sleep the whole day?”

“It’ll be just a waste of time if you sulk here all day. It’ll not help you solve your problems, Kim.” Zee said.

“And what can you do to help me if you’re here?” Kim said sourly. She turned back at her.

Unexpectedly, Dew hands Kim two more bags of groceries while she stands by the door.

“Good morning, Kim,” Dew smiles.

Kim gazed at Dew, eyes wide, and then shakes her head. ‘Oh, shoot!’

“‘Morning, Doc Dew.” Kim breaths as she closes the front door following Dr. Dew to the kitchen. Zee’s been sitting comfortably by the breakfast nook scrolling over her phone munching an apple. As soon as Zee turned to look at Kim who’s still groggy from her sleep. Her eyes widen and suddenly jumped from her chair when she noticed Kim’s eyes were a little puffy and red.

“Whoa! What happened to your eyes? Have you been crying?”

“No,” Kim answered defensively turning away from Zee and putting the bags over the table.

“Zee!” Dew yelled in a split second, glaring at her. If looks could kill, Zee would have been cold dead lying on the floor by now.

“What?” she asked innocently. “I just asked,”

“Just let her be,”

“Is it now a crime to ask Kim what happened to her murdered bloodshot eyes?” Zee complains. “Oh come on, honey, give it a break.”

“No. But give Kim a break, will you?”

Dew sauntered her way to the to the kitchen island fixing the items they brought. Both Kim and Zee took a seat by the nook waiting for Dew.

“Well, I must tell you, li’l cuz, crying is for ,” Zee grins, then took another bite from her apple. Kim frowns, eyeing Zee intently.

“Shut your foul mouth, Zee, and don’t you even start with your freaking words of wisdom again,” Dew scolds shutting her.

“What now?” Zee asks irritably. She looked at Dew, her eyes frost.

“Hey! Stop it you, two!” Kim yelps standing and about to take her leave. “What in the world brought you, two here? It’s still early. Can I just go back to sleep and you guys can make yourself comfortable in your bickering.”

“NO!” they both yelled at Kim.

“Crap.” Kim murmured.

“Sit there,” Zee orders in her commanding voice pointing to the empty chair beside Dew and grab the bag of breakfast. “We’ll have breakfast. And don’t be such a little prick.”

 Kim just obliges without protest and sits back herself by the breakfast nook. She damn knew not to argue more or all hell will let lose. Zee hands Dew her strawberry pancakes and a cup of hot coffee, then Kim.

“What do you want, raspberry or strawberry?”

“I’ll take raspberry, please. Thanks.”

Zee frowns looking down at her pancakes. “O-kay, that leaves me with the strawberry.”

“…and here’s your caramel macchiato as always. I know they are your favorites.”

 

 

 

After their breakfast with a lot of talking and bantering, both Zee and Dew decided to spend their time at Kim’s beach house. It’s almost twelve noon. Everybody at the office including Johanne opted to spend their weekend with Kim at her beach house. While waiting for the whole gang, Zee busied herself setting up the fire on the barbecue grill by the porch at the backyard facing the beach. While Dew prepares the food in the kitchen, Kim silently sat on one of the sun lounger by the porch. She’s been in deep thoughts about the unlucky events these last few days. She stared deeply into the vast horizon.

“You know, you can take a picture instead. It’ll last longer.”

“Huh?”

“You okay, dude? Has she called you yet?” Zee asks anxiously taking a bottle of good old bud from the cooler. She twisted open the crown.

“No,” says Kim honestly.

“Don’t worry too much, just give her some time right now. She’ll come around.” Zee said hopeful. “Have you explained it to her everything that happened?”

“Yes. But it’s been a week or so and she hadn’t replied any of my messages nor answers my call.”

“Be patient. Do try to tame the beast from another perspective.”

“Hmm,”

“Try calling her sister, she might help you get in touch with her.”

“I hope so. I’m so ed up to the things I don’t have control of...”

“I clearly understand you,” Zee said sympathetically. She swallowed a lump of beer down from the bottle. “But you said we need this project, talk to Alex to keep her hands to herself.”

Kim exhales and closes her eyes, “I just want to put a cap on that ’s arse for good,” she said angrily.

“Relax dude.” Zee clears . She propped herself in one of the sun lounger next to Kim.

“Tell me Kim, what really happened back then? She wouldn’t just get overly jealous if you hadn’t done anything as far as I know women.”

 “You boys really are a pain in the most of the time, aren’t you?” Dew interrupts startling them. She’s leaning her body by the door frame holding a big bowl of barbecues. They knew she heard everything clearly. Then, she sashayed her way to the grill.

“You and Zee always get yourself into so much trouble with women,” says Dew.

“Hey, we’re not.” Says Zee defensively “And literally, honey, we’re not boys. Have you forgotten that fact?” Zee frowns as Dew shove the bowl into her arms as she walked passed her dismissing the conversation between them.

Kim’s lips twisted in an annoying smile. “I thought you saw what happened back then. Aren’t you were talking to her when I took that phone call?” Kim splutters.

“Dude, after she left and went to bid her goodbye to you, I was busy on my phone sending messages to Dew. I didn’t know, she did that on purpose.” Says Zee apologetically.

 “Anyway, what time will those es arrive?” Kim sighed, checking the time on her wrist watch. “Zee, can you please remind them to drop by at ‘The Arkitekto’s’ along downtown to pick up some stuff. I already spoke to Jorge about it.”

“I’m on it…” Zee excuse herself to make her phone to Mario. Dew sashayed towards Zee, pecked her lips before making herself comfortable at the empty sun lounger next to Kim. “Um …how many restaurants do you really own, Kim?”

“Three,” Kim replied simply.

“Really, why didn’t I know about this?”

“I don’t know either,” Kim’s mind boggled, too. “Just tell them to get at ‘The Asian Taste’ the one in South Hill Street. Jorge is there. He knows what to give them.”

Zee frowns, “Where exactly Kim? You said ‘The Arkitekto’s’, now the Asian taste. Make up your mind, .” She rolled her eyes fractionally.

“I think Jorge is at the Arkitekto’s now. Sorry, my bad, dude.”

“You better be,”

“So…” Dew said calmly turning to face Kim. She propped herself comfortably. “What happened really?” she continued.

“Well, after the meeting, Miss Johnson went ahead of us. That makes the three of us were left at the main door of the restaurant waiting for the valet for Alex’s car.” Kim cringed at the thought.

“Hmm, Zee sent me messages around the same time, too.” Says Dew remembering Zee had been busy with her phone that time.

“Yes. Like what she said earlier. My phone rang as soon as I bid goodbye to her. I excuse myself to take my phone call. I knew it was Aom. And in the middle of my phone conversation, I didn’t know Alex came from my behind and suddenly wrapped her arms around my torso.” Kim inhales sharply. Disgusted.

“And then, what did you do?” Dew asked inquisitively.

“She called me ‘sweetie’. I was, honestly, startled. My elbow instinctively moved on its own. It hit her hard on the face. It was an accident.” Kim cupped her face with both her hands remorsefully.

“What?” Dew exclaimed, horrified. “You elbowed her face?”

“No! I mean, Yes! But I didn’t mean to. It was an honest mistake.” Kim stood up raking her hands through her short jet black hair desperately and tiredly turned to face both Zee and Dew

“Maybe, Aom overheard that part and before I could explain, she ended the call. I tried calling her million times after that but she never answered my calls or even my messages until now.”

“So that’s where all the blood came from?”

“I guess…”

“Yeah, if you had only seen her face, she’s in a total horror. Her face was literally a bloody mess.” Zee said in a matter-of-factly. Her face scrunched up in utter disbelief as she moved across the porch towards Dew. “I think you practically dislocated her nose off her face.”

“She didn’t pressed charges against me but in one condition,”

 “What?” Zee threw her a skeptical look.

“She wanted me to be her girlfriend.” Kim said quietly.

“Well, that’s what you call desperate.” Dew scoffed.

Zee stood up, furious. “Damn! What on hell the is thinking? Is she out of her mind?”

“Exactly! It’s way too pathetic.” Dew agreed.

“And I won’t let her… I waited for years to be with Aom.”

“Now, some y came to tear you apart. Come to think of it dude, if you have to drop this project to save your relationship with Aom, do it. It’s okay. We can have more projects coming our way. I can feel it.”

“It’s okay, dude. I got it under control. I got a plan. Hell, not some gonna tear it apart.”

 

 

Kim is back to work on Monday. She’s literally back to her daily routine. She’s leaning comfortably on her swivel chair facing the picturesque view of the city in morning lost in her own thoughts. She sends Alice a few messages the other day about her visit to Bangkok and Aom not answering her phone calls and messages. She had Alice agreed to meet with her in Bangkok within the next two days. And Alice would let Aom go back to Bangkok as soon as possible at any cost. Damn. Why can’t this woman leave me alone in peace? Kim mentally resigned.

Her reverie was cut off with a soft knock on her door. The door slowly opened, Zee cocked her head to one side.

“’Morning Kim,” Zee grinned. She looks dashing in her black suit.

“Hey,” She beamed over her black framed glasses.

Zee closed the door and made herself comfortable on the couch.

 “You called for me?”

“Yes.”

“Uh-huh. What for? Sounds fishy to me,” she raised an eyebrow at Kim, amused and skeptical.

“I’ll let you take over the office in a few days,”

“Why? Where are you going?” Zee protested.

“I’ll be flying to Bangkok tomorrow. I already had a word with Alice and P’Air. I’m going to put her maddening to end.”

“Do you have a concrete plan how to woo the beast this time?”

“I don’t, but I’ll make her.” Kim said sourly.

“Whoa, that’s scary.”

“What do you intend to do to make her?” she eyed Kim playfully. “Kidnap her and scare her to death?”

“Zee, what are you even thinking?” Kim is all gaped in shock. “I’m not barbaric for goodness sake!”

“I didn’t say you were, did I?” she smirked. “What about Alex?”

“I’ll deal with her later.”

 

_______________

 

 

Somewhere in the slams of Bangkok, A tall and handsomely man wearing dark glasses and hat walked up anxiously to a small dinner in the late rainy evening. He seems to be out of place in his slick and fashionable clothing. The man enters the dinner hesitantly and mentally surveyed the room. The dinner looks shabby like it’s been there for long decades. The paints on the walls were peeling and somehow turned almost gray to black. The menu was printed on the wall in Thai calligraphy like it’s been there as long it remembered. The distinct aroma of food and the pungent smell of chili suffocate the thin air inside. It irritatingly tickled his nose. He glanced at one of the corners of the room; a few old folks are having their late night drinking spree at the corner. He walks up to the opposite far end of the room where a shabby man in dark coat sits alone drinking in the corner.

“I thought you wouldn’t come.” The shabby man whispers mysteriously.

“My apologies, I almost forgot about this meeting.” The finer man took the empty seat right in front of him. He slides a white envelope across the table towards the shabby man.

“Is it all here?”

“Yes. You’ll find small information about her written inside and a photo of her.”

“What about your payment?”

“You have half of it there in cash. The other half will be sent to you when the task is done.”

The shabby man untwined the red string of the envelope carefully and checked the contents.  

“So, I guess this is 1.5 million as we have agreed?”

“Yes.”

“Good.” He said dryly.

He took out the photo and examines it carefully.

“What do you want me to do with her? End her miserable life?” he asked darkly. His evil grin flashed his face.

“No. Just scare her away. But be sure she’ll never go back to Thailand.” The finer man says smugly.

“Okay. But why? Do you have grudges towards her?”

“It’s none of your business.” He said sternly. He stood up from his chair ready to leave the shabby place. “I’ll expect a clean outcome.”

“Don’t worry I’m on it. I’ll call you as soon as the task is done.” The shabby man grins in a low and cold voice. “It’s good doing business with you.” He whispered.

 

__________________

 

 

“Hello, P’Kim.” Alice smiles over her phone. “Are you ready?”

“Yes, I’ll just meet you at the airport lobby. I’ll drop by the florist on my way. I’ll call you as soon as I arrive.”

“Okay, just keep it low. I’ll see you there.” She sighs. She thought what happened between the two. She couldn’t understand why it had her sister punished Kim to this extent.

“Thank you Alice for the help.” Kim’s voice is nervous yet sounds excited.

“No worries, P’Kim.”

 

Alice drove through the traffic-jammed highways of Bangkok on the way to the Suvarnabhumi airport to fetch her sister flying back from Shanghai, China. Kim arrived in Bangkok two days ago and currently staying with her sister P’Air. Unfortunately, P’Air can’t accompany her at the airport today.

Kim now arrives at the crowded airport lobby waiting for Alice. She gazed around looking for a familiar face of Alice in the crowd. She moved to and fro fidgeting, nervous at the same time excited to see the love of her life again. She wears herself her dark shade aviator eyeglasses and a cap on in disguise. Her crisp white button shirt looks handsomely on her. She clasped her sweaty hands tightly on the bouquet of white roses and stargazers neatly arranged together. And out of the crowd, she caught sight of Alice and sashayed her way through.

“Alice!” she shouts over the chattering crowd.

Alice turned to meet Kim.

“P’Kim…” She gazed at her from head to toe. Her brows furrowed. “Do you really think you can’t be recognized with that outfit? You look stunningly handsome.” Alice smiled. Who could have thought that this handsome tom in front of her is just an ordinary person and not some wealthy arrogant celebrity?

“What? Did I over dress it?”

“No.”

“Then what?” Kim asks frowning. She just had her white shirt, dark blue jeans and brown Chuck Taylor sneakers.

“Nothing. Let’s go over there. Her plane already arrived. She’ll be out any minute now,” says Alice.

She tugged Kim through the arriving crowd into the arrival section of the airport. She sensed the tension lingering on Kim. Her forehead is sprinkled with sweat against the chilled temperature inside the airport. As soon as they arrived at the located spot, Alice already caught sight of her sister with K’Tae and Picha. Alice walked briskly happy to greet her sister. Kim, in low head followed in tow behind Alice.

“P’Aom,” Alice called brightly. Aom stopped in her tracks as she saw Alice approaching in their direction.

“Alice, where’s mom and dad?” asks Aom as she draw her sister into a tight hug. She didn’t recognized Kim behind Alice holding a bouquet. She thought he’s one Alice’s persuasive suitors.

“Ah, Mom and dad can’t come to fetch you. So, I brought someone who’s willing to see you.” Alice says trying to stifle her excitement.

“Oh,” Aom hissed.

“Hi K’Tae… Picha… How’s the flight anyway?” says Alice.

“Arrived safe and sound,” replied K’Tae keeping her gaze at the handsome man behind Alice. She thought that he looked so familiar to her but can’t place where she had met this guy.

“So, who’s your suitor now?” Aom says sourly at her sister changing the topic.

The handsome man moved forward, face to face with Aom.

“Baby, I’m sorry about the phone call incident…” says Kim in a low trembling husky voice.

“Kim…” Aom says softly.it took her by surprise. It astonished her to see Kim in front of her. She sacrifices her time to travel half around the world to see her and to personally apologize the messed she created, and to see her in public fetching her from the busy airport. She thought of the danger it might bring Kim and her seeing them in public.

“I’m sorry…” Kim says quietly. She hands her the flowers and gaze at her straight in her eyes. “I’m sorry, I can explain. Please believe me; I’m not cheating on you. I –“ Kim didn’t finish her sentence when suddenly a big burly man bumped hard against her back pushing her towards Aom.

“Arg!”  Kim suddenly cringed in pain from her side and back. Then, she started to fall freely towards Aom. Her eyes widens in surprise.

“Kim!” Aom yelps in horror.

 

It is weekend and it only means that their office is usually closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Since Aom came into her life, Kim spent her weekends at the beach house to relax and unwind; to literally detoxify herself from the whole week’s toxic workloads and stresses. One way or the other, Kim utilized her time to contemplate and to get away for a while from her chaotic city life. It’s been a week since they came back from their client meeting in New York.  And disappointingly, it’s been ten days that Aom hadn’t spoken or answered any of her calls and messages after the phone call incident with Alex. It added mostly to all her stresses at her work and managing her restaurants.

Inasmuch as Kim wanted to stay in the comfort of her bed and sleep the whole day, she woke up badly on a constant honking of car by her driveway. Then seconds after, her doorbell rang continuously. Reluctantly, she got up from her bed to answer her front door grumpily. She rubbed her eyes from sleep as she peeked through the small fixed glass windows mounted by the door frame before opening her door for Zee and Dew.

“‘Morning, tiger,” Zee says. “It’s about time. We brought you breakfast.” She walked passed Kim through the front door and straight to the kitchen. She places two paper bags and cups of hot coffees over the table.

Kim blinks twice following her gaze where Zee stands by the kitchen island which she assumes were bought from a well-known fast-food chain.

“Thanks, but the last time I checked, my coffeemaker works perfectly fine.” Kim said sarcastically rolling her eyes at Zee. “Why are you so early banging my whole front door down? You almost broke it into pieces, douche.”

“It’s already ten in the morning, dude. All the birds and the bees have all gone to work,” Zee yelled from the kitchen.

“It’s weekend for crying out loud. What’s wrong with you people if I wanted to just lie in my bed and sleep the whole day?”

“It’ll be just a waste of time if you sulk here all day. It’ll not help you solve your problems, Kim.” Zee said.

“And what can you do to help me if you’re here?” Kim said sourly. She turned back at her.

Unexpectedly, Dew hands Kim two more bags of groceries while she stands by the door.

“Good morning, Kim,” Dew smiles.

Kim gazed at Dew, eyes wide, and then shakes her head. ‘Oh, shoot!’

“‘Morning, Doc Dew.” Kim breaths as she closes the front door following Dr. Dew to the kitchen. Zee’s been sitting comfortably by the breakfast nook scrolling over her phone munching an apple. As soon as Zee turned to look at Kim who’s still groggy from her sleep. Her eyes widen and suddenly jumped from her chair when she noticed Kim’s eyes were a little puffy and red.

“Whoa! What happened to your eyes? Have you been crying?”

“No,” Kim answered defensively turning away from Zee and putting the bags over the table.

“Zee!” Dew yelled in a split second, glaring at her. If looks could kill, Zee would have been cold dead lying on the floor by now.

“What?” she asked innocently. “I just asked,”

“Just let her be,”

“Is it now a crime to ask Kim what happened to her murdered bloodshot eyes?” Zee complains. “Oh come on, honey, give it a break.”

“No. But give Kim a break, will you?”

Dew sauntered her way to the to the kitchen island fixing the items they brought. Both Kim and Zee took a seat by the nook waiting for Dew.

“Well, I must tell you, li’l cuz, crying is for ,” Zee grins, then took another bite from her apple. Kim frowns, eyeing Zee intently.

“Shut your foul mouth, Zee, and don’t you even start with your freaking words of wisdom again,” Dew scolds shutting her.

“What now?” Zee asks irritably. She looked at Dew, her eyes frost.

“Hey! Stop it you, two!” Kim yelps standing and about to take her leave. “What in the world brought you, two here? It’s still early. Can I just go back to sleep and you guys can make yourself comfortable in your bickering.”

“NO!” they both yelled at Kim.

“Crap.” Kim murmured.

“Sit there,” Zee orders in her commanding voice pointing to the empty chair beside Dew and grab the bag of breakfast. “We’ll have breakfast. And don’t be such a little prick.”

 Kim just obliges without protest and sits back herself by the breakfast nook. She damn knew not to argue more or all hell will let lose. Zee hands Dew her strawberry pancakes and a cup of hot coffee, then Kim.

“What do you want, raspberry or strawberry?”

“I’ll take raspberry, please. Thanks.”

Zee frowns looking down at her pancakes. “O-kay, that leaves me with the strawberry.”

“…and here’s your caramel macchiato as always. I know they are your favorites.”

 

 

 

After their breakfast with a lot of talking and bantering, both Zee and Dew decided to spend their time at Kim’s beach house. It’s almost twelve noon. Everybody at the office including Johanne opted to spend their weekend with Kim at her beach house. While waiting for the whole gang, Zee busied herself setting up the fire on the barbecue grill by the porch at the backyard facing the beach. While Dew prepares the food in the kitchen, Kim silently sat on one of the sun lounger by the porch. She’s been in deep thoughts about the unlucky events these last few days. She stared deeply into the vast horizon.

“You know, you can take a picture instead. It’ll last longer.”

“Huh?”

“You okay, dude? Has she called you yet?” Zee asks anxiously taking a bottle of good old bud from the cooler. She twisted open the crown.

“No,” says Kim honestly.

“Don’t worry too much, just give her some time right now. She’ll come around.” Zee said hopeful. “Have you explained it to her everything that happened?”

“Yes. But it’s been a week or so and she hadn’t replied any of my messages nor answers my call.”

“Be patient. Do try to tame the beast from another perspective.”

“Hmm,”

“Try calling her sister, she might help you get in touch with her.”

“I hope so. I’m so ed up to the things I don’t have control of...”

“I clearly understand you,” Zee said sympathetically. She swallowed a lump of beer down from the bottle. “But you said we need this project, talk to Alex to keep her hands to herself.”

Kim exhales and closes her eyes, “I just want to put a cap on that ’s arse for good,” she said angrily.

“Relax dude.” Zee clears . She propped herself in one of the sun lounger next to Kim.

“Tell me Kim, what really happened back then? She wouldn’t just get overly jealous if you hadn’t done anything as far as I know women.”

 “You boys really are a pain in the most of the time, aren’t you?” Dew interrupts startling them. She’s leaning her body by the door frame holding a big bowl of barbecues. They knew she heard everything clearly. Then, she sashayed her way to the grill.

“You and Zee always get yourself into so much trouble with women,” says Dew.

“Hey, we’re not.” Says Zee defensively “And literally, honey, we’re not boys. Have you forgotten that fact?” Zee frowns as Dew shove the bowl into her arms as she walked passed her dismissing the conversation between them.

Kim’s lips twisted in an annoying smile. “I thought you saw what happened back then. Aren’t you were talking to her when I took that phone call?” Kim splutters.

“Dude, after she left and went to bid her goodbye to you, I was busy on my phone sending messages to Dew. I didn’t know, she did that on purpose.” Says Zee apologetically.

 “Anyway, what time will those es arrive?” Kim sighed, checking the time on her wrist watch. “Zee, can you please remind them to drop by at ‘The Arkitekto’s’ along downtown to pick up some stuff. I already spoke to Jorge about it.”

“I’m on it…” Zee excuse herself to make her phone to Mario. Dew sashayed towards Zee, pecked her lips before making herself comfortable at the empty sun lounger next to Kim. “Um …how many restaurants do you really own, Kim?”

“Three,” Kim replied simply.

“Really, why didn’t I know about this?”

“I don’t know either,” Kim’s mind boggled, too. “Just tell them to get at ‘The Asian Taste’ the one in South Hill Street. Jorge is there. He knows what to give them.”

Zee frowns, “Where exactly Kim? You said ‘The Arkitekto’s’, now the Asian taste. Make up your mind, .” She rolled her eyes fractionally.

“I think Jorge is at the Arkitekto’s now. Sorry, my bad, dude.”

“You better be,”

“So…” Dew said calmly turning to face Kim. She propped herself comfortably. “What happened really?” she continued.

“Well, after the meeting, Miss Johnson went ahead of us. That makes the three of us were left at the main door of the restaurant waiting for the valet for Alex’s car.” Kim cringed at the thought.

“Hmm, Zee sent me messages around the same time, too.” Says Dew remembering Zee had been busy with her phone that time.

“Yes. Like what she said earlier. My phone rang as soon as I bid goodbye to her. I excuse myself to take my phone call. I knew it was Aom. And in the middle of my phone conversation, I didn’t know Alex came from my behind and suddenly wrapped her arms around my torso.” Kim inhales sharply. Disgusted.

“And then, what did you do?” Dew asked inquisitively.

“She called me ‘sweetie’. I was, honestly, startled. My elbow instinctively moved on its own. It hit her hard on the face. It was an accident.” Kim cupped her face with both her hands remorsefully.

“What?” Dew exclaimed, horrified. “You elbowed her face?”

“No! I mean, Yes! But I didn’t mean to. It was an honest mistake.” Kim stood up raking her hands through her short jet black hair desperately and tiredly turned to face both Zee and Dew

“Maybe, Aom overheard that part and before I could explain, she ended the call. I tried calling her million times after that but she never answered my calls or even my messages until now.”

“So that’s where all the blood came from?”

“I guess…”

“Yeah, if you had only seen her face, she’s in a total horror. Her face was literally a bloody mess.” Zee said in a matter-of-factly. Her face scrunched up in utter disbelief as she moved across the porch towards Dew. “I think you practically dislocated her nose off her face.”

“She didn’t pressed charges against me but in one condition,”

 “What?” Zee threw her a skeptical look.

“She wanted me to be her girlfriend.” Kim said quietly.

“Well, that’s what you call desperate.” Dew scoffed.

Zee stood up, furious. “Damn! What on hell the is thinking? Is she out of her mind?”

“Exactly! It’s way too pathetic.” Dew agreed.

“And I won’t let her… I waited for years to be with Aom.”

“Now, some y came to tear you apart. Come to think of it dude, if you have to drop this project to save your relationship with Aom, do it. It’s okay. We can have more projects coming our way. I can feel it.”

“It’s okay, dude. I got it under control. I got a plan. Hell, not some gonna tear it apart.”

 

 

Kim is back to work on Monday. She’s literally back to her daily routine. She’s leaning comfortably on her swivel chair facing the picturesque view of the city in morning lost in her own thoughts. She sends Alice a few messages the other day about her visit to Bangkok and Aom not answering her phone calls and messages. She had Alice agreed to meet with her in Bangkok within the next two days. And Alice would let Aom go back to Bangkok as soon as possible at any cost. Damn. Why can’t this woman leave me alone in peace? Kim mentally resigned.

Her reverie was cut off with a soft knock on her door. The door slowly opened, Zee cocked her head to one side.

“’Morning Kim,” Zee grinned. She looks dashing in her black suit.

“Hey,” She beamed over her black framed glasses.

Zee closed the door and made herself comfortable on the couch.

 “You called for me?”

“Yes.”

“Uh-huh. What for? Sounds fishy to me,” she raised an eyebrow at Kim, amused and skeptical.

“I’ll let you take over the office in a few days,”

“Why? Where are you going?” Zee protested.

“I’ll be flying to Bangkok tomorrow. I already had a word with Alice and P’Air. I’m going to put her maddening to end.”

“Do you have a concrete plan how to woo the beast this time?”

“I don’t, but I’ll make her.” Kim said sourly.

“Whoa, that’s scary.”

“What do you intend to do to make her?” she eyed Kim playfully. “Kidnap her and scare her to death?”

“Zee, what are you even thinking?” Kim is all gaped in shock. “I’m not barbaric for goodness sake!”

“I didn’t say you were, did I?” she smirked. “What about Alex?”

“I’ll deal with her later.”

 

_______________

 

 

Somewhere in the slams of Bangkok, A tall and handsomely man wearing dark glasses and hat walked up anxiously to a small dinner in the late rainy evening. He seems to be out of place in his slick and fashionable clothing. The man enters the dinner hesitantly and mentally surveyed the room. The dinner looks shabby like it’s been there for long decades. The paints on the walls were peeling and somehow turned almost gray to black. The menu was printed on the wall in Thai calligraphy like it’s been there as long it remembered. The distinct aroma of food and the pungent smell of chili suffocate the thin air inside. It irritatingly tickled his nose. He glanced at one of the corners of the room; a few old folks are having their late night drinking spree at the corner. He walks up to the opposite far end of the room where a shabby man in dark coat sits alone drinking in the corner.

“I thought you wouldn’t come.” The shabby man whispers mysteriously.

“My apologies, I almost forgot about this meeting.” The finer man took the empty seat right in front of him. He slides a white envelope across the table towards the shabby man.

“Is it all here?”

“Yes. You’ll find small information about her written inside and a photo of her.”

“What about your payment?”

“You have half of it there in cash. The other half will be sent to you when the task is done.”

The shabby man untwined the red string of the envelope carefully and checked the contents.  

“So, I guess this is 1.5 million as we have agreed?”

“Yes.”

“Good.” He said dryly.

He took out the photo and examines it carefully.

“What do you want me to do with her? End her miserable life?” he asked darkly. His evil grin flashed his face.

“No. Just scare her away. But be sure she’ll never go back to Thailand.” The finer man says smugly.

“Okay. But why? Do you have grudges towards her?”

“It’s none of your business.” He said sternly. He stood up from his chair ready to leave the shabby place. “I’ll expect a clean outcome.”

“Don’t worry I’m on it. I’ll call you as soon as the task is done.” The shabby man grins in a low and cold voice. “It’s good doing business with you.” He whispered.

 

__________________

 

 

“Hello, P’Kim.” Alice smiles over her phone. “Are you ready?”

“Yes, I’ll just meet you at the airport lobby. I’ll drop by the florist on my way. I’ll call you as soon as I arrive.”

“Okay, just keep it low. I’ll see you there.” She sighs. She thought what happened between the two. She couldn’t understand why it had her sister punished Kim to this extent.

“Thank you Alice for the help.” Kim’s voice is nervous yet sounds excited.

“No worries, P’Kim.”

 

Alice drove through the traffic-jammed highways of Bangkok on the way to the Suvarnabhumi airport to fetch her sister flying back from Shanghai, China. Kim arrived in Bangkok two days ago and currently staying with her sister P’Air. Unfortunately, P’Air can’t accompany her at the airport today.

Kim now arrives at the crowded airport lobby waiting for Alice. She gazed around looking for a familiar face of Alice in the crowd. She moved to and fro fidgeting, nervous at the same time excited to see the love of her life again. She wears herself her dark shade aviator eyeglasses and a cap on in disguise. Her crisp white button shirt looks handsomely on her. She clasped her sweaty hands tightly on the bouquet of white roses and stargazers neatly arranged together. And out of the crowd, she caught sight of Alice and sashayed her way through.

“Alice!” she shouts over the chattering crowd.

Alice turned to meet Kim.

“P’Kim…” She gazed at her from head to toe. Her brows furrowed. “Do you really think you can’t be recognized with that outfit? You look stunningly handsome.” Alice smiled. Who could have thought that this handsome tom in front of her is just an ordinary person and not some wealthy arrogant celebrity?

“What? Did I over dress it?”

“No.”

“Then what?” Kim asks frowning. She just had her white shirt, dark blue jeans and brown Chuck Taylor sneakers.

“Nothing. Let’s go over there. Her plane already arrived. She’ll be out any minute now,” says Alice.

She tugged Kim through the arriving crowd into the arrival section of the airport. She sensed the tension lingering on Kim. Her forehead is sprinkled with sweat against the chilled temperature inside the airport. As soon as they arrived at the located spot, Alice already caught sight of her sister with K’Tae and Picha. Alice walked briskly happy to greet her sister. Kim, in low head followed in tow behind Alice.

“P’Aom,” Alice called brightly. Aom stopped in her tracks as she saw Alice approaching in their direction.

“Alice, where’s mom and dad?” asks Aom as she draw her sister into a tight hug. She didn’t recognized Kim behind Alice holding a bouquet. She thought he’s one Alice’s persuasive suitors.

“Ah, Mom and dad can’t come to fetch you. So, I brought someone who’s willing to see you.” Alice says trying to stifle her excitement.

“Oh,” Aom hissed.

“Hi K’Tae… Picha… How’s the flight anyway?” says Alice.

“Arrived safe and sound,” replied K’Tae keeping her gaze at the handsome man behind Alice. She thought that he looked so familiar to her but can’t place where she had met this guy.

“So, who’s your suitor now?” Aom says sourly at her sister changing the topic.

The handsome man moved forward, face to face with Aom.

“Baby, I’m sorry about the phone call incident…” says Kim in a low trembling husky voice.

“Kim…” Aom says softly.it took her by surprise. It astonished her to see Kim in front of her. She sacrifices her time to travel half around the world to see her and to personally apologize the messed she created, and to see her in public fetching her from the busy airport. She thought of the danger it might bring Kim and her seeing them in public.

“I’m sorry…” Kim says quietly. She hands her the flowers and gaze at her straight in her eyes. “I’m sorry, I can explain. Please believe me; I’m not cheating on you. I –“ Kim didn’t finish her sentence when suddenly a big burly man bumped hard against her back pushing her towards Aom.

“Arg!”  Kim suddenly cringed in pain from her side and back. Then, she started to fall freely towards Aom. Her eyes widens in surprise.

“Kim!” Aom yelps in horror.

 

It is weekend and it only means that their office is usually closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Since Aom came into her life, Kim spent her weekends at the beach house to relax and unwind; to literally detoxify herself from the whole week’s toxic workloads and stresses. One way or the other, Kim utilized her time to contemplate and to get away for a while from her chaotic city life. It’s been a week since they came back from their client meeting in New York.  And disappointingly, it’s been ten days that Aom hadn’t spoken or answered any of her calls and messages after the phone call incident with Alex. It added mostly to all her stresses at her work and managing her restaurants.

Inasmuch as Kim wanted to stay in the comfort of her bed and sleep the whole day, she woke up badly on a constant honking of car by her driveway. Then seconds after, her doorbell rang continuously. Reluctantly, she got up from her bed to answer her front door grumpily. She rubbed her eyes from sleep as she peeked through the small fixed glass windows mounted by the door frame before opening her door for Zee and Dew.

“‘Morning, tiger,” Zee says. “It’s about time. We brought you breakfast.” She walked passed Kim through the front door and straight to the kitchen. She places two paper bags and cups of hot coffees over the table.

Kim blinks twice following her gaze where Zee stands by the kitchen island which she assumes were bought from a well-known fast-food chain.

“Thanks, but the last time I checked, my coffeemaker works perfectly fine.” Kim said sarcastically rolling her eyes at Zee. “Why are you so early banging my whole front door down? You almost broke it into pieces, douche.”

“It’s already ten in the morning, dude. All the birds and the bees have all gone to work,” Zee yelled from the kitchen.

“It’s weekend for crying out loud. What’s wrong with you people if I wanted to just lie in my bed and sleep the whole day?”

“It’ll be just a waste of time if you sulk here all day. It’ll not help you solve your problems, Kim.” Zee said.

“And what can you do to help me if you’re here?” Kim said sourly. She turned back at her.

Unexpectedly, Dew hands Kim two more bags of groceries while she stands by the door.

“Good morning, Kim,” Dew smiles.

Kim gazed at Dew, eyes wide, and then shakes her head. ‘Oh, shoot!’

“‘Morning, Doc Dew.” Kim breaths as she closes the front door following Dr. Dew to the kitchen. Zee’s been sitting comfortably by the breakfast nook scrolling over her phone munching an apple. As soon as Zee turned to look at Kim who’s still groggy from her sleep. Her eyes widen and suddenly jumped from her chair when she noticed Kim’s eyes were a little puffy and red.

“Whoa! What happened to your eyes? Have you been crying?”

“No,” Kim answered defensively turning away from Zee and putting the bags over the table.

“Zee!” Dew yelled in a split second, glaring at her. If looks could kill, Zee would have been cold dead lying on the floor by now.

“What?” she asked innocently. “I just asked,”

“Just let her be,”

“Is it now a crime to ask Kim what happened to her murdered bloodshot eyes?” Zee complains. “Oh come on, honey, give it a break.”

“No. But give Kim a break, will you?”

Dew sauntered her way to the to the kitchen island fixing the items they brought. Both Kim and Zee took a seat by the nook waiting for Dew.

“Well, I must tell you, li’l cuz, crying is for ,” Zee grins, then took another bite from her apple. Kim frowns, eyeing Zee intently.

“Shut your foul mouth, Zee, and don’t you even start with your freaking words of wisdom again,” Dew scolds shutting her.

“What now?” Zee asks irritably. She looked at Dew, her eyes frost.

“Hey! Stop it you, two!” Kim yelps standing and about to take her leave. “What in the world brought you, two here? It’s still early. Can I just go back to sleep and you guys can make yourself comfortable in your bickering.”

“NO!” they both yelled at Kim.

“Crap.” Kim murmured.

“Sit there,” Zee orders in her commanding voice pointing to the empty chair beside Dew and grab the bag of breakfast. “We’ll have breakfast. And don’t be such a little prick.”

 Kim just obliges without protest and sits back herself by the breakfast nook. She damn knew not to argue more or all hell will let lose. Zee hands Dew her strawberry pancakes and a cup of hot coffee, then Kim.

“What do you want, raspberry or strawberry?”

“I’ll take raspberry, please. Thanks.”

Zee frowns looking down at her pancakes. “O-kay, that leaves me with the strawberry.”

“…and here’s your caramel macchiato as always. I know they are your favorites.”

 

 

 

After their breakfast with a lot of talking and bantering, both Zee and Dew decided to spend their time at Kim’s beach house. It’s almost twelve noon. Everybody at the office including Johanne opted to spend their weekend with Kim at her beach house. While waiting for the whole gang, Zee busied herself setting up the fire on the barbecue grill by the porch at the backyard facing the beach. While Dew prepares the food in the kitchen, Kim silently sat on one of the sun lounger by the porch. She’s been in deep thoughts about the unlucky events these last few days. She stared deeply into the vast horizon.

“You know, you can take a picture instead. It’ll last longer.”

“Huh?”

“You okay, dude? Has she called you yet?” Zee asks anxiously taking a bottle of good old bud from the cooler. She twisted open the crown.

“No,” says Kim honestly.

“Don’t worry too much, just give her some time right now. She’ll come around.” Zee said hopeful. “Have you explained it to her everything that happened?”

“Yes. But it’s been a week or so and she hadn’t replied any of my messages nor answers my call.”

“Be patient. Do try to tame the beast from another perspective.”

“Hmm,”

“Try calling her sister, she might help you get in touch with her.”

“I hope so. I’m so ed up to the things I don’t have control of...”

“I clearly understand you,” Zee said sympathetically. She swallowed a lump of beer down from the bottle. “But you said we need this project, talk to Alex to keep her hands to herself.”

Kim exhales and closes her eyes, “I just want to put a cap on that ’s arse for good,” she said angrily.

“Relax dude.” Zee clears . She propped herself in one of the sun lounger next to Kim.

“Tell me Kim, what really happened back then? She wouldn’t just get overly jealous if you hadn’t done anything as far as I know women.”

 “You boys really are a pain in the most of the time, aren’t you?” Dew interrupts startling them. She’s leaning her body by the door frame holding a big bowl of barbecues. They knew she heard everything clearly. Then, she sashayed her way to the grill.

“You and Zee always get yourself into so much trouble with women,” says Dew.

“Hey, we’re not.” Says Zee defensively “And literally, honey, we’re not boys. Have you forgotten that fact?” Zee frowns as Dew shove the bowl into her arms as she walked passed her dismissing the conversation between them.

Kim’s lips twisted in an annoying smile. “I thought you saw what happened back then. Aren’t you were talking to her when I took that phone call?” Kim splutters.

“Dude, after she left and went to bid her goodbye to you, I was busy on my phone sending messages to Dew. I didn’t know, she did that on purpose.” Says Zee apologetically.

 “Anyway, what time will those es arrive?” Kim sighed, checking the time on her wrist watch. “Zee, can you please remind them to drop by at ‘The Arkitekto’s’ along downtown to pick up some stuff. I already spoke to Jorge about it.”

“I’m on it…” Zee excuse herself to ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter