ch4 - Someday We'll Know

[hiatus] The Cupid Reaper : Messenger of Love and Caller of Souls
Please log in to read the full chapter

chapter four

   

Cupid Serena found herself visting the Cupid Station a few days later after taking some time to think about what Melanie had told her. Despite it being quite early in the morning for her, she was on a personal mission of seeing if Charlie's soul was still sealed away in the Cupid Archives since she didn't really have any charges or cases to do from either side. She was informed of that four years ago when she had asked what had become of Charlie after the incident and when she had become a cupid herself.

"There's no way that he could have been revived so soon." Cupid Serena muttered to herself as she made her way inside the Archives. "Could he? I thought it took a long time to reincarnate especially as an otherworldly unless I didn't get the memo of their special circumstances." Cupid Serena continued to talk to herself about the idea that no one told her that Charlie's soul could possibly be back in such a short amount of time.

Instantly Cupid Serena scanned the placards hung above the rows of shelves that held white vases of souls of the other cupids as she tried to find the aisle where Charlie's would be stored. It was in alphabetical order in a language mixture of Ancient Greek and Ancient Latin. If it wasn't for her supernatural being self, she knew that she wouldn't be able to read and understand any of it unless she studied it for years.

Anyways, Cupid Serena quietly glanced at the names and correlating pictures of the cupids for each vase as she recalled the letter that she was looking for until she came to the right aisle and row. Just as she was about to locate Charlie's name, Cupid Serena slightly jumped when she heard a voice beside her asked what she was doing as she faced Eros.

"Didn't meant to scare you there, Miss Cupid Reaper." Eros chuckled as he casually leaned against the shelf with his arms crossed over his chest and giving Cupid Serena a warm smile. "I believe this is the first time I'm seeing you enter the Archives after the first time you were here."

"Yeah, just looking is all, Eros." Cupid Serena shot him a quick smile as she brushed her cotton candy colorred hair behind her ears and backed up slightly away from the shelf. "I never really got the chance to explore the Archives over the years and so I thought I'll check it out now since I have time."

"I see." Eros' eyes shifted to a particular vase with a familiar face that the cupid would totally recognize. "It's not about him is it?" He indicated with his eyebrows as she dismissed it with a wave of her hand trying to play it cool. "No, no. I just happened to be in this section when you arrived, Eros."

Eros just smiled at Serena's response as he removed himself from the shelf and had put his hands behind him. He didn't say anything as he just walked past Serena while giving her a nod and moved onto another section of the Archives and out of her view.

Cupid Serena waited a few seconds to see if he would return, but when he didn't her eyes fastened upon the vase that she was searching for. Upon locating it she bent down a bit to view it better. She noticed no cracks of sorts and that there was no glow indicating it was ready to be reborn. It looked like the other thousands of them. Undisturbed and in deep slumber.

"I wonder if it's just one of those dreams she had and then mixed it with an actual memory because she's not totally here or there." Cupid Serena mumbled to herself as she stood upright again and looked left to right if Eros was still lurking around, but he wasn't.

Cupid Serena left the aisle in deep thought while exiting the Cupid Archives, but didn't noticed that Eros had been lingering with a slight concern expression on his face as his eyes darted to Charlie's which suddenly glowed before returning back to its original state.

Just as Cupid Serena was about to leave the Cupid Station, Maofah suddenly came zooming by and latched himself onto her back and she felt his sharp nails digged into her skin and she let out a hiss upon contact.

"Oh, my bad." Maofah apologized as he retracted his claws with Cupid Serena checking her skin for any injuries, but the slight scratched marks disappeard a few seconds later.

"One of the good things about being a supernatural being, especially when not in the mortal world." Maofah remarked happily as he simply climbed to settled himself on her right shoulder instead. "Anyways, let's hurry and  go, Rina. Hedy is driving me crazy."

"Why? She's not that bad, Maofah. She's just a lot of fun." Cupid Serena smiled as she began walking the two of them out of the Cupid Station with Maofah rolling his eyes. "Yeah, you try and hang out with her when she's planning on playing her little pranks here and there."

"But I thought you like those?"

"Not when it's me she's using them on."

"Not so nice when you're the one on the receiving end, huh?"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

The two landed back in Serena's living room with Maofah flying off to the kitchen to rummage through her fridge while Nerok was no where in sight. Shrugging it off, Serena dropped herself onto the couch for a nap. For some reason visiting the Archives had drained her more than normally it would.

"Officer Winfield." Angie called out Dee's name as the female officer turned her attention away from James and to their chief inspector while standing up. "Yes, Chief Inspector."

"Starting today I would like for you to show Officer Angy around the facilities and help him get familiar with the place." Angie commanded with a smile. "I trust you to help out our newbie here."

"Yes, ma'am. Will do, ma'am." Dee smiled with a curt nod of acknowledgement while she subtly kicked James out of annoyance who hissed in pain.

"Wonderful." Angie turned to Xukun. "As for you, Officer Angy, you'll be under Officer Winfield's guidance for the time  being. You'll also report to either Senior Police Officer Jensen or Everingham as well."

"Thank you, ma'am." Xukun thanked her with a smile and a head nod.

"In the mean time, please make yourself comfortable at Officer Rendell's desk as he's on medical leave until we get your desk situated." She motioned at the desk besides James as Xukun nodded.

She faced the rest of the team. "That is all. Now please resumed what you were all doing before I arrived." She ordered as she patted Xukun on the back before making her leave to her own office upstairs.

Xukun casually made his way over to Dee and James as James stood up to greet the male warmly. "Hey, man. Welcome to the first division only after graduating from the academy recently. That rarely happens so you must be totally something."

"Ah, thanks. I was just lucky to do very well." Xukun and James shook hands as Dee interrupted their friendly greeting. "C'mon, Newbie, I'll show you around before you get roped into this guy's shenanigans."

"Ouch. I take total offense, Dee." Officer James feigned hurt as Dee rolled her eyes. "It's Winfield, MacFadden. Why must we do this everyday?"

"It's because we entered the First Division at the same time." James smirked as Dee ignored him and faced Xukun. "Let's get going while we still got some down time."

Serena jerked awake by her mobile phone going off. Out of habit she sleepily tried to locate it by reaching above head and towards the arm of the sofa, but felt nothing. She paused long enough to hear it out and got up to follow it towards her bedroom where she last left it before being summoned by Pim earlier.

Serena looked at the caller ID seeing it was Poo before answering. "Hello?"

"You're still not asleep are you?" Poo asked through the phone with an annoyed tone.

"No." Serena replied as she ran a hand through her hair. "Don't worry, I'll get ready soon."

"It's all good. Don't worry about it."

"What do you mean? You woke me up for no reason then?"

"So I did wake you."

"Yeah, sure, whatever. What about the phootshoot though?" Serena asked annoyed as she rubbed her face to ease out the tiredness.

"Well, the father called me a while ago and said that he wants to reschedule the time." Poo explained before speaking again. "Mr. Uphoff wants to do the shoot in March and that he wanted to change the venue so it's at the Nizho University Medical Center instead of the Roksiamese Orthodox Church."

"Why?"

"The daughter wasn't feeling well and she may be at the hospital more often now and so don't want to cause a hassle on her part."

"I see."

"Anyways, just letting you know that you're free today."

"Am I really?" Serena replied with a sarcastic tone as Poo chuckled. "For now. Maybe we can go out for drinks instead and discuss more on your availability."

"Yes to the drinks, no to the discussion."

"It's better than nothing. I'll text you the time and place."

"I'll be fashionably late."

"I'm sure you will be, but do reply back or I'll come and pick you up myself."

"I'll try. Bye, Poo."

"Buh-bye, Rina."

The two hung up as Serena tossed her phone onto her bed before rubbing the sleepiness from her face. She was about to make her way to the bathroom when a mobile like device shaped like Maofah appeared before her and she paused while staring at the screen.

"You got a CUPID message!" The device spoke in M

Please log in to read the full chapter