ch6 - Connected PT.1

[hiatus] The Cupid Reaper : Messenger of Love and Caller of Souls
Please log in to read the full chapter

from now on

   

Jisoo was so lost in the novel book she was reading that she didn't feel the small tap against her thigh until it came again along with a soft giggle. Jisoo looked down from her book and towards her lap and noticed a tiny hand resting there. She looked over to her right and saw a little girl about six smiling widely at her. Jisoo shot her a shy smile while marking her spot in the book.

"Your birdie is so pretty." The little girl commented as Jisoo frowned.

"I don't have a birdie."

"It's right there."

With her hand resting on Jisoo's thigh did the little girl raise it to point it towards Jisoo's left shoulder while patting her own left shoulder for emphasis with her other hand and when Jisoo turned to see where she had pointed she didn't see the bird at all.

"It has glasses just like yours! And it's wearing a red scarf. It's so cute."

The girl insisted, but Jisoo still couldn't see what this girl was talking about even if she discreetly looked over at both of her shoulders. Before Jisoo could ask her further about if she really could see it the little girl's mother quietly scolded her daughter and apologized to Jisoo.

"I'm sorry about, Mijoo. She says such silly things." Mijoo's mother stated while telling her daughter to not bother the nice lady.

"Oh, um, no it's okay. It's fine." Jisoo said in a timid tone glancing away from the mother and back onto her book in her lap.

"Sorry." Mijoo apologized in a soft tone although her little eyes kept glancing at the spot on Jisoo's shoulder where the bird was located.

The mother shushed her quietly and the little girl focused her attention onto her lap an feet instead while Jisoo frown knowing that the little girl didn't mean to disturbed her. She hoped that the little girl cheered up afterwards. Anyways, Jisoo re-opened to where she last left off in her book again to read. Still, true to the little girl's words, a small bird with glasses and a red scarf was perched on Jisoo's shoulder.

"Not to be rude or anything, Special Agent Lewis, but are you sure I'm allowed to take the patrol car?" Xukun asked Hana as he was driving one of the police cars heading to Viboon Suri High School.

"You're not and you're fine since I was the one that told you to do so. Besides, I got put on driving probation due to my last incident dealing with a car accident that may or may not have been caused by me." She chuckled sheepishly. "And I can't drive anywhere unless I have someone official with me either."

"But the chief inspector told me to report to either Senior Officer Jensen or Everingham and-"

Hana interrupted him with a playful look. "Don't worry, Officer Angy. You won't get into any sort of trouble as I've reported your whereabouts with Senior Officer Everingham just before we left." She assured him before fixing her gaze to the front. "We're all in the same division and the senior officers allow me to borrow their subordinates if needed."

"Borrow? Are the First Division and Special Section the same in that aspect for that to happen?"

"Yes and no. It's just that the Special Section handles all of the cases differently than what they're used to."

"What do you mean?"

"The First Division is all about their logic, rationality, and police intuition compare to something that doesn't have a solid scientific explanation to it." Agent Lewis paused before speaking again. "Basically things that appear supernatural or paranormal which can't be reasoned with facts or solid proofs or even with scientific proof and such that doesn't make sense to those that aren't total genius, too."

"But aren't all cases still just cases in the end whether it's supernatural or not?" Xukun reasoned considering his own personal case.

"Yes, that may be true, but none of them are interested in the strange although they classify police intuition not in the strange department. Doesn't make sense to me as I believe it is, but whatever." Hana dismissed before speaking again.

"Anyways, they don't like or even want to send any extra manpower to investigate them thoroughly like the Special Section unit does in which we see everything in a different perspective and possibility that they won't see at first." Hana shrugged after explaining that.

"Still, my unit and I won't give up in solving them even if they become stranger than the next and not as believable to their ears." Her lips quirked up slightly. "Or said in a certain way that may be correct."

"I feel like there's more to the Special Section than what I've caught a glimpse of earlier."

"There is, especially now that Violette has joined the team."

"How many people are in the Special Section?"

"Including me and Violette now, five."

"That's kind of a small unit."

"Yeah, but we get things done in our own way and time despite our size."

"Thats good to hear. So why are we heading to Viboon Suri High School?"

"Because one of their students claims that the arsonist that's been causing these random fires over the city isn't human and the First Division doesn't want to deal with that and so Special Section is."

"Are you talking about the four arsons that have ocurred lately in different locations throughout the day, but with no suspect and dead leads?"

"Yup and so I'm hoping this student will be able to provide us with answers to figuring out this mystery."

Jisoo sat quietly in math class and although she sat up front and near the window, it didn't necessarily mean she always paid attention. That's how the teacher had assigned her like everyone else. Still Jisoo received good grades and did exceptionally well, but math class was such a bore at times. She basically always went on ahead of the lesson due to the teacher taking forever to discuss what they were learning that week.

Jisoo's attention was outside looking into the school's courtyard before taking noticed of a bird that looked a lot like a lanceolated warbler, but with distinct features upon it. Very distinct features. The warbler had a little red scarf wrapped around its neck along with a pair of round, gold-rimmed glasses perched upon its beak. It looked like a character straight out of a children's book, but was definitely right in front of her in person.

A few seconds later, Jisoo recalled the little girl's words on the bus. Something about how her bird was pretty and Jisoo wondered if this was the bird that she had been talking about. Jisoo focused her attention onto the lanceolated warbler while taking in it's scarf and glasses. The round glasses was like hers and the scarf looked like the one her mother kept in the storage as it was a gift from her father from long ago. Her thoughts were interrupted shortly afterwards.

"How peculiar."

Jisoo heard from behind her and turned around to face her classmate, Lee Chan. He was another student that was quite weird and always in his own little world from everyone else. He and Jisoo never really talked unless the two ended up pairing up due to their introverted personalities. Still though, Chan was fine with how his school life was going compare to hers as they had this talk one time, but it never came up again.

"What do you mean?"

She asked out of curiousity although she was hardly one to ever initiate conversation, but curiosity got the better of her since Chan hardly spoke and if he did it was usually to sprout out weird things that didn't quite make sense to those around him except himself.

"That lanceolated warbler there." Chan pointed at the warbler with his pencil.

"Well for the adult it usually has a streaked brown back with whitish grey underparts that has small lance-head like streaks upon it. This one has a reddish brown streaked back and blackish grey underparts instead and looks like it came from out of a book or a film. I've never seen one like that before, especially with a pair of glasses and wering a scarf."

"I was thinking the same thing." Jisoo agreed while looking at the strange warbler once more.

Chan turned to look at Jisoo with a quizzical expression. "Maybe it has some connection to you."

"What do you mean?" Jisoo asked catching his look, but Chan didn't say anything in regards to the bird and instead to the bluish-grey sky. "I hope you brought an umbrella, Jisoo."

"I-what?" Jisoo let out confused as her head turned upwards to stare at the blue sky. "The news said it wasn't going to rain today or at all this week."

"You can use mine. I brought an extra one today just in case someone didn't."

Chan smiled as he shifted the umbrella from his desk and hooked it onto Jisoo's while turning his attention back to the teacher and Jisoo cast Chan another confused expression as she turned her stare to the now darkening sky and saw the peculiar warbler from earlier fly off.

"So what can you tell us about the student, Chan Lee, that claims these arsons aren't from a person, but something otherwordly, Mr. Schlarlach?" Hana asked the principal of Viboon Suri High School as she and Xukun sat in front of the elderly man's desk.

"He's, how do you say, a very special student. Quite an individual, that kid, if I may add." Mr. Schlarlach slowly spoke with a pensive look. "He's a very bright student, probably the brightest as he's in the top five percentile. He keeps to himself majority of the time. Hardly causes any trouble."

"May we speak with Mr. Lee as soon as possible?" Hana asked a moment later as the principal frown. "Does this really have any real concern to the police?"

Mr. Schlarlach then let out a disbelief laughed a second later.

"Shouldn't you be looking for the perpretrator instead of hassling my students about imaginary things?" He eyed the two policemen. "It's just an abnormal thinking on Chan's part. Really, it's all pure imagination even if it doesn't suit Chan, I must say since it's quite laughable."

"Anything helps in solving the case is always in concern of the police, Mr. Schlarlach, even at first if it may appear strange." Hana smiled cynically. "Also abnormal thinking is my speciality, especially if it doesn't suit a person at a glance. Those are usually the best ones."

Her words made the principal confused, but he sighed and stood up nevertheless. "Chan should be getting out of his math class soon and to his next class. I'll take you both there."

Math class was about to end in a few minutes and Jisoo was about to return Chan his umbrella as she didn't think she would need it since the weather outside didn't look like it was going to rain at all. Plus, the weather forecaster never got the weather wrong except for the past two month now that she recalled. She looked down at the serenity and rose quartz colored umbrella recalling that it had rain four times when the weather forecaster stated that it would be bright and sunny with a cool breeze.

Those four days were surely horrible and hectic as it rained and a fire broke out each time causing a lot of confusion and inconvenience for a lot of people invovled. Jisoo remembered her mother mentioning it when one happened at her mother's work and they had to call off a few days to do some investigation. Jisoo was about to ponder on it longer when a loud thundering shook her back to the presence.

Jisoo quickly looked to her left and out the window noticing that the sky had definitely darkened even more and it was seriously pouring outside. She could hardly see outside or even make out the courtyard itself. She barely caught glimpses of several flashes of lightning striking down in the distance as another thunderous sound rattled her hearing soon after.

Her eyes widened at the sight before her as she swiftly gaze over at Chan who shot her a small smile upon catching her shocked gaze. She opened , but closed it a split second later. She did this at least two more times, but remained speechless. Jisoo wanted to ask him how he knew it was going to rain and why did he even bring a second umbrella, but she didn't get the chance to when Ms. Nagai announce

Please log in to read the full chapter