5. It's For The Best I Guess...

Every Night The Loneliness

 

[Photo above is what Jihyun is wearing. P.S: This is a long chapter, SORRY!]

 

♫ ιғ ι нαd ѕαιd to мyѕelғ tнαt ι ѕнoυldɴ't ѕeɴd yoυ αwαy αt tнαt ѕpot, ιғ ι нαd jυѕt tυrɴed αroυɴd, gяαbbє∂ yoυ ѕαyιɴɢ tнαt ι wαѕɴ't oĸ wιtн ιt, we coυld нαve reαlly loved~ ♥ ♫

 

"OK, slowly, slowly, careful there, watch your legs! There we go." 

 

Yong Junhyung cautiously let his girlfriend down after being piggy backed onto the black leather sofa in the living room of the house his parents bought for him as a birthday present last year.

 

"Your fine, right? No injuries on you or something else like that?" He squatted while holding her hands tight, brushing his thumbs across them to give them warmth.

 

Yong Jihyun softly nodded, showing a bright smile since before the scary experience of being kidnapped by Sangho's groupies and being tied up.

 

"You must not have eaten anything before you exited your house, so here are some fresh fruit."

 

Lee Hyunki walked into the room holding a plate of sliced oranges, apples, pears, pineapples and a batch of grapes until lightly placing it on the long black coffee table.

 

Seung, their red hair friend along with the black haired friend and blonde haired friend followed up with five cups of warm cocoa, a bundle of warm, furred blankets and clothes she keeps in his room.

 

"You guys didn't have to do that but thanks you very much" Junhyung took the blankets as he put two over her, curving the edges so it went behind her shoulders.

 

Jihyun's eyes turned round as she felt his arms go around her to wrap the blanket closer to herself. Feeling the soft, fur, she couldn't help but snuggle up and smile while giggling.

 

"Such a cutie" He laughed, smiling at her cuteness, "Rest for now, I'll wake you up for supper, if we can make something good" nervously glancing at his friends who were whistling and looking away.

 

"Mmk, good night, oppa~" She yawned the last few words out before tipping over, head landing on the arm rest and automatically falling asleep.

 

Junhyung got up as he shuffled on his indoor slippers on his way to the kitchen but his strength suddenly disappeared causing him to drop down as he came closer and closer to hitting the floor.

 

"Whoa! Don't force yourself too much, you just defeated Sangho's group, him included." Hyunki managed to catch him at the right moment, using his arms to hold him up.

 

"Yeah, I guess your right. My hands still hurt from swinging so much." He lifted his hands to watch them shake on their own slightly.

 

Hyunki guided the way to his room before placing his friend down on the bed. "Stay, unless you need to use the washroom, try not to move so much."

 

Junhyung mumbled a yes which faded along with him as he closed his eyes, letting the tiredness rush him like a storm, going into a long nap.

 

Meanwhile in the living room...

 

Peeking out of one eye to check if her boyfriend was out of sight, Yong Jihyun sat back up still snuggling the blankets but stuck out her arms from under the layers.

 

She could hear Seung and the other two conversing in another room and Lee Hyunki went with Yong Junhyung into his room so now the living room had no one but herself.

 

Feeling mighty bored, Jihyun started looking around the room when she came across a envelope that was sliced open but the letter was placed back and never taken out again.

 

"Hm? What is this?" She pinched the paper that was inside, slipping it out to reveal what looks like a personally sent, hand-written invitation. "Why would he leave this here?"

 

Curiosity got the better of her as she began to read it, not knowing she would regret it afterwards:

 

Dear Yong Junhyung-goon

 

This is from the Shikano Tekatomiku University. You sent us a request letter along with your resume one week ago and have received it with no problems. After taking time out of our lives and giving consideration to your goals, our council has come to a conclusion:

 

We accept you into the chosen program you have decided to take and would like a reply before Monday.

 

Sincerely, The Principal of Shikano Tekatomiku University,

Mefutaku Fumomoto

 

------------

 

Yong Jihyun sat with her knees close to her chest as she held them there by wrapping her arms around them, hands clasped and rubbing a thumb over the other.

 

"Oppa~ I'm sorry. It's because of me that you haven't sent a reply back. I must have made you stall in making your decision." She looked at the letter she put back in the envelope.

 

Picking up the small flip calendar by the sofa beside the phone, she looked at today's date where he had circled it with a red marker, added a star sticker and drew a pink heart in the middle.

 

"Tomorrow is your birthday. I was planning on giving you only one gift, but now I can give you two."

 

Jihyun smiled but it wasn't like usual since now it felt slightly forced as her mind told her to let him go since this is what he wants but her heart said to stop him because she knows it will hurt once he's gone.

 

-----------------

 

[December 23rd, 2006]

 

Yong Junhyung sat in his seat at the back of his class, watching the snow fall gently down in small bundles but also copying down the notes the teacher was writing out for them all.

 

This was his favorite course and class but he didn't know it was this boring and when they were given time to work on a brand new assignment, he got a sudden text message from his girlfriend:

 

'Junhyung oppa~ Happy Birthday!! Let us meet at our little place at lunch time! I have two things I want to give you, but you'll only get one of them first then the other one. I love you <3 Jihyun'

 

The snow crunched loudly under his converse shoes, leaving behind his own footprints in the thousands already there before him, hurriedly trotting down the stairs but suddenly stopping as he spotted her.

 

Yong Jihyun stood on the snowy hill beside the tree at their special place tilting back and forth from her heels to her toes while having her gloved hands placed behind her back hiding something.

 

Junhyung, meanwhile, had quietly sneaked behind her the whole time being a miracle that she didn't hear him approaching since the big crunches of his footsteps were pretty hard to be ignored.

 

"Thank you so much for the birthday wishes, Jihyun~ah" He gave her a warm back hug, putting his hands together on her tummy before pulling her more closer to him letting the warmth comfort him.

 

"Your very welcome, Junhyung Oppa!" She pressed her back against him, also finding the warmth from her boyfriend cause her heart to beat more rapidly but she had moved the item she was hiding earlier to be in the front.

 

Crunch, crunch, crunch went the ground as he walked to be in front as he put her small hands into his bigger ones, holding on tightly and showing a smile while she shifted the item behind again.

 

"Now, what were those little surprises you had for me today?" Junhyung didn't know that saying only those few words meant everything else would all break into tiny pieces like a giant jigsaw puzzle.

 

Her smile immediately disappeared because she knew he would eventually ask this question, slipping her hands out as she quietly put them together at her waist like she was getting punished.

 

"Hmm? What is it? Is something the matter? Someone else bothering you again?" He looked around in a flash by using his hawk like eyes to spot anyone watching the two of them secretly or spying on from a hidden place.

 

Jihyun didn't answer, just stood there looking downwards and not a single word spoken or noise made as only silence hung heavily in the air, bracing itself for whatever might happen to break it.

 

"I don't see anyone and Hyunki hasn't told me anything so I guess it's nothing. Jihyun~ah, let's go in before you're sick." Junhyung smiled as he held her hand, ready to bring her back when she spoke.

 

"You ought to go."

 

Suddenly stopping in his tracks after taking only one step, he turned around while also letting her hand go slightly in the process, giving a moment for it to settle in then saying only one word. "Eh?"

 

"I heard that, you've been offered a chance to go to Shikano Tekatomiku University, in Tokyo, for they're special program." She looked up at her boyfriend's chocolate pearl eyes. "Why would you want to decline that?"

 

Junhyung understood that she must have read the letter he had left carelessly behind on the coffee table conveniently, taking time to glance at his girlfriend's amber tinted iris's, he tenderly replied.

 

"Would you like me to go?"

 

Jihyun mind was full of contradicting thoughts as she really didn't want him to leave yet it would be the best for him in the future but her head moved, nodding up and down but much quicker. "Yes."

 

Looking at back with considerate eyes as he mumbled quietly, "Even if it was three years before I would come back?" it seriously pained him to say that, and not even wanting to imagine it once.

 

She heard a voice in her head telling her to say no, to say she couldn't live without him but instead, "I would still like you to go." smiling sincerely as she felt a harsh battle go on in her heart just to make the right decision.

 

"Alright." Junhyung face slowly began to turn into a calm and relaxed expression, "But in that case," he looked directly at her as he spit out thorns. "I want to leave without ties so........... Let's break up."

 

The thorns flew faster than a bullet as they dug deep into her heart, never able to come out again as she whispered while tightly gripping the box that had the secret second gift. "Why must we do that?"

 

"I don't believe that we will feel the same now three years from now." He clenched his fist into a tight ball, hiding it behind his back so she couldn't see before throwing daggers out with his next words.

 

"And I also don't think the right place for you to be is by my side."

 

The daggers hit missed they're mark but they managed to slice thin lines where the thorns went in, the pain now too much as tear drops quickly formed in Jihyun's eyes, the box nearly crushed. "I will wait for you. Go."

 

Junhyung hated himself so much right now for doing this to her, he swore an oath to himself forever to NEVER make her cry in her entire life, and now he was breaking it just for the very same person.

 

And as if like a archer drawing back an arrow, he aimed directly at the target with his next statement then fired his biggest and most painful shot yet, letting it speedily fly through the air as he spoke.

 

"I can't predict what I'll be like three years from now. That's why I want to leave without any ties. Let's just go our separate ways for now."

 

It wasn't Cupid's arrow since it hurt a thousand times more and no misses, it pierced right through the middle in a direct bulls eye, having already flattened the box like a pancake but it wasn't broken.

 

"Tell me. Is this really what you want to do?" Her cheeks were now wet with the river of tears that were streaming down her face from the start, unable to stop as the dam had been smashed to bits leaving no trace of it behind.

 

Jihyun didn't want to believe anything that she has heard, wanting all of this to be just a dream, but she clearly knew that everything happening at this moment was drastically real which scared her.

 

"Yes. It honestly is." Junhyung continued that first step he took earlier but pausing after two, "Thank you for speaking out before I could. Goodbye." moving again as he walked slowly down the hill.

 

Everything was happening too fast for her, making her feel rushed and dizzy at the same time, her hands immediately came up to hold her head because of a sudden pain that felt like a migraine.

 

Jihyun's mind spun as memories of her past whizzed by as each image stayed for only a second before being replaced by hundreds of others: Her first time meeting him. The time he fought bullies to protect her. The confession in 1st year of high school. Her first kiss. Everything.

 

She jogged after him almost slipping but by putting her right hand on the big tree on the hill to stop herself from tripping, grabbing his right wrist with her left tightly as the box dropped without a sound.

 

"Is this really your only choice? Do you even know the reason I liked you in the first place?" For the first time ever, Jihyun's unknown temper poked it's head around the corner, finally showing itself.

 

Junhyung clenched the free hand he had shoved inside his pocket. Closing his eyes tight as he gritted his teeth not wanting to say it, having no choice but to finish the job with a finishing punch.

 

"Just let me be. Don't make me waver, and don't bug me."

 

After taking all that it could take, the punch finished the job by hitting hard and broke her heart at last, the pieces started falling like rain but suddenly smashing like glass once hitting the ground as she finally felt herself snap.

 

"So all this time," Jihyun's heartbreak triggered something in her as a huge spark started a fire, her anger compressed for so long peaked slowly. "I've been bugging you and making you waver?"

 

"I have to go pack if I want to catch the plane." He flung his hand with little strength but was enough for her grip to loosen and release his wrist, letting gravity take him down the snowy hill and leave.

 

Her anger burst for a second before it was drowned out with pain, sadness and loneliness as her headache was now tremendous with ears ringing in silence and vision blurred by crowded tears.

 

"Oppa.............. Junhyung Oppa..............." Jihyun fell to her knees with a thud as the tree bark made slight cuts in her palm, the snow now beginning to freeze her legs slowly through the thin denim jeans that she was wearing

 

She suddenly felt a shortness of breath, the migraine worse as her head was heating up faster than ever before passing out laying on her side, hand still on the tree with a hand-carved message:

 

Yong Junhyung <3 Yong Jihyun 4ever.

 

====

 

Lee Hyunki, Seung and the two other friends were walking around the school grounds searching like crazy for their friend who left to meet his girlfriend half an hour ago.

 

"Where could he be?" Hyunki was puzzled since they had already checked the usual meeting spot for the two lovebirds, but all they found was snow, snow and more snow.

 

"Let's try that place again for a double check, it's possible they didn't meet before we went to look for them." Seung nudged them all as he pointed towards the soccer field fence.

 

"Guess we should since there isn't a place we haven't looked thoroughly in. Let's go, guys, back to square one!"

 

The four friends reached the end of the soccer field in no time as they looked from the top of the hill where Junhyung and Jihyun called their special spot for years now.

 

"No luck, just like the first time. Maybe we should look inside again." The black haired friend grabbed the blonde one as they both turned to start going back to school.

 

Seung reluctantly followed as he waved bye to the last one that was searching. "Good luck, man. If you ever find them, just shout as loud as you can, got that?"

 

Only Hyunki was left as he nodded his appreciation, returning his attention back to the hill. If Junhyung had hawk eyes, his best friend was the eagle as he now went over every spot.

 

"Hm?" He saw something that wasn't there before by the tree, something that looked like a big snow covered rock. "Since when did they randomly drop rocks wherever they wanted to?"

 

"HEY GUYS!!!!" Hyunki shouted at the top of his lungs making the three that left run like a cheetah back to where the fence was.

 

"WHAT WHAT? WHAT IS IT? DID YOU FIND HER?" The black and blonde both yelled at the same time while frantically glancing around, throwing up snow as they ran back and forth.

 

"No. He only found a really big rock. What a disappointment I guess." Seung watched as Hyunki leaped off the stair railing and landed beside the rock and tree, creeping over to look.

 

Hyunki went to brush off the snow but what he found will forever give him a shock that would stay in his memories forever, never being able to forget it.

 

"YA, YONG JIHYUN! W-WH-- HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN HERE?! YOU'RE COLD AS FROZEN ICE!

 

"WHAT?!?!?!" The three appeared out of no where beside Hyunki as they stared down in disbelief at Jihyun, lips dark purple and her skin barely staying a shade of pink on her face and hands where frost was starting to grow.

 

"HEY, Hurry up and help me put her on my back! FASTER, DANG IT!" Hyunki squatted down as they lifted, following his exact orders as they all panicked.

 

Running faster than they ever before, their speed matched that of a race car while zooming past everything just to reach the nurses office in time.

 

Meanwhile in the airport at the same time....

 

Yong Junhyung leisurely walked through the airport towards the departure are for his flight, wearing a black backpack holding his passport and ticket in hand.

 

Shikano Tekatomiku University had promised to take care of his luggage prior to leaving as they were now already on the plane before he was even on it.

 

Looking down at his wrist watch then at the hand clock at the top of a podium as the time read 1pm. He should be in class right now but the principle dismissed him after he told of his leave of absence.

 

Junhyung waited patiently in line to get his ticket checked in order to enter, later passing through the automatic door, leaving his bag on the conveyer belt for them to do an x-ray scan of the inside.

 

Thanking the security guard as he passed through the metal detector, he took his backpack and tossed it onto himself then holding onto only one strap.

 

Back at school....

 

"NURSE!!" Lee Hyunki bolted into the room as Seung and the other two were lagging behind but eventually caught up as they faced a suddenly frantic nurse who saw the girl's condition who was on his back.

 

"Oh my god! What happened? She looks like a icicle! We can't do anything here, you better send her to the hospital. I'll call the ambulance." The nurse punched in 119  as the line connected faster than expected.

 

"Hello, yes this is a nurse from Anyang Art High School. We have a student who is freezing to death and need an ambulance here fast!."

 

After ten minutes, sirens approached and stopped by the gates as a team of workers ran to the back of the vehicle to fling open the doors and yanked out a stretcher before speeding into the school grounds.

 

"Jihyun, everything is going to be find OK? We'll save you don't worry." Hyunki held her below zero degrees hand as she looked through cracked frost thawing over her eyelids.

 

opened as she tried to speak but only moved as only a whisper escaped.

 

"What? What is it that you want to say?" He leaned over to put a ear by her lips while trying to keep up with the workers who were charging back to the ambulance.

 

"Jun.........hyung............Op..............pa" Yong Jihyun said only those words before closing her eyes, surrendering to the cold that was enveloping her.

 

"Jihyun? JIHYUN!! Please hurry, we have no time to loose!" Hyunki leaped into the seats in the back of the vehicle as they pushed her in before jumping in themselves, the doors closed with a click.

 

Airport....

 

Bowing slighty as he was given back his passport, Junhyung took his steps in a medium pace to look through the glass in the tunnel connected to his flight at the other planes.

 

"Hm, I wonder how Jihyun is. I know that I can trust the guys, but...... to see her cry like that."

 

He stepped onto the airplane as a flight attendant joyfully greeted him with a smile before he found his seat by the window in first class, sitting down to glance out at the runway.

 

Ambulance....

 

"O-o-oppa, J-jun.." Jihyun kept mumbling something that sounded like air hissing because she was beginning to slowly warm up after Hyunki literally took off everything except his sweater to put on her.

 

"Shh, it's fine. Don't talk, try to warm up more. You will be back to normal in no time at all"

 

Obeying, she closed to stop talking as her eyes closed under the eye mask given to prevent frost from forming again, drifting off into sleep.

 

Plane....

 

"Attention all passengers, this is your captain speaking, our flight to Tokyo will start now. Please keep your seat belts on at all times until the light turns on. Follow the instructional video to find out about oxygen masks and life jackets. Thank you flying with us, have a nice day."

 

Junhyung yawned as he felt sleep creep up on him, deciding to let it blank out his mind and the sounds around him, resting his head on the pillow and draping the blanket over himself.

 

"See you in three years, Jihyun~ah." He vowed to keep that promise as it was the last thought he had before falling asleep.

 

Hospital....

 

Doctors and nurses rushed as they pushed the stretcher Jihyun was on with Hyunki trailing along on the side, never letting go of her hand until they went into a room where he was forced to stay outside.

 

Turning around, he angrily punched a wall for some unknown reason but then sat down in a chair outside, putting his head in his hands.

 

"I promise, Junhyung. No matter what happens, she'll be safe." Hyunki mumbled as he looked at the light that was staying red....

 

Song is 양요섭 / Yang Yoseob - 안돼 / No