Adventure Time!

Sweet Oasis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the heat of the day, the rocks perspired more than Yerim herself, and she slipped. She threw her arms out in an effort to catch herself — she didn't want to squash the pig doll that was in her hands! After tilting about madly for a moment, she regained her balance. There was a deep, nervous laughter to her left. "Come back on the pathway. I'm not gonna save you next time."

It was the next day, and the two have decided to sell a bunch of home-made pig dolls. "Hey, Kookie... do you think we'll sell any?" Yerim stuck out her tongue and lifted out her pig doll that had her name on a strap of paper pinned to the top. Jungkook pulled out another from his backpack and examined the details intently. He had always been fascinated by how they were made.

He smiled down at her, "Of course! All these dolls in here will be gone before you know it. See, there's one coming our way." A little girl was seen approaching them.

....

"...now remember to bathe it and chat with it. Don't let it fall down the bed, sometimes it over-sleeps and-"

"Ok ok, I'm pretty sure she knows how to take care of it, Yerimmie." Jungkook subtly reminded.

"Wowww, not simple at all... I will take extra good care of it." assures the girl in a pink dress. The two waved goodbye to her. Yerim had a faraway look when the girl skipped back to her parents. He noticed.

"It's alright, the new owner will take care of it no problem. You spent so much effort making it. On the bright side, we sold our first pig doll."

"And our first $50!" Yerim cried triumphantly. She held the dollar notes in front of him. Yerim burst out laughing, nodding her head and Jungkook found himself laughing too.

As they continued walking down the market streets, Yerim accidentally bumped into a trolley of soaps.

"Are you hurt?" He stumbled backwards after supporting her by the elbow, "What should I do?" The soap products outside on display were knocked over.

"Hey! What's going on over there?!" They heard an angry male voice from inside the stall. "Forget it, let's run for it." Jungkook took the chance and sped behind a wall a few blocks down the street with Yerim's hand in his. It was like how he ran away together with Jieun after encountering that hotel security guard a few weeks back.

Yerim chuckled despite being out of breath. They quickly sat down on a concrete block as they were sure that they were free from being chased. "That was way too close!" Jungkook looked at her and caught her eyes as she said that. Instead of looking away, he smiled with their hands still in contact. With every word she spoke, Jungkook felt more comfortable. It was as if she had known Yerim all his life, only to him, all her imperfections were new. But he knew that could never be; their friendship would last only as long as Jungkook retained his memories as the CEO of BTS. If he stayed a commoner like he is now, he knew from grandpa's tuition that he would eventually forget he had ever been a man. He would not be able to hear her innocent voice. He would lose the power to keep his easy-going relationships with Suho and Joy. Inevitable as that might be, now that he had this precious friendship, he was incredibly frightened of losing it. Yerim must have been thinking something similar. If he only knew. Believe it or not, he's been having fun with her without realizing through their little adventures. He even dreamt of her today while sleeping.

 

-

 

"Let's go home, I'm tired." And just like that, his mood swings returned like a wrecking ball as if he denied his feelings towards her.

"But we sold more than ten already," said Yerim, wide-eyed at him who was already going the opposite way from her. "I"m gonna buy sashimi!" He yelled. He wasn't even 15 meters away from her yet and his legs have already stopped as if he stumbled across quicksand. But wait, she's not that sharp. What if she gets kidnapped like last time?

"If you want to eat it, then I'll have some too. If you won't, I won't either." She pouted nearing a water fountain. Jungkook made a face before going back to her. "Ahhhh I just forgot that I..... um." He stopped his excuse mid-sentence when he recognised someone that came into view behind the white fountain.

"Ya! Don't come near! It's broad daylight, lots of people are watching!" He sped towards Yerim without taking his eyes off of the woman.

"You nuts! I don't ever want to see you again." She retorted.

"Let's go." He pulled Yerim by her arm so hard that the money she was holding nearly dropped. Then a sudden, deafening screech came from behind them. Yerim twisted around forcing him to stop. She ran to her after stuffing all the collected money into Jungkook's backpack, "Oh no oh no!" says Yerim, worriedly trying to lift the person up. "A-Aye! what are you doing?" The woman asked with an unwelcoming tone. "You hurt yourself?" asks the little girl. She took the woman's free hand and raised it up around her neck to prevent her from falling.

When the woman tried standing up, she realised she had twisted her ankle.

"Don't bother with her, she doesn't deserve it." Jungkook rudely pointed at the injured woman.

"But she's in pain."

"It's called 'Just Retribution'. Now, come on."

Seeing Yerim who was still hesitant, Jungkook decided to leave after all, but his conscience still wouldn't let him.

"Fine, I'll go by myself." He was hurt when he got given the cold shoulder. While he was reluctantly walking away, he overhears Yerim.

"Take it easy, let me carry you."

What did she say?

"Whoa!! Hey, let go of me!" The lady didn't know what she was doing, but it was bound to end up unpleasantly for sure.

"Are you suicidal? She weighs a tonne. She'll crush you to death." He reasoned.

"I can do it. I can carry six bags of rice." Despite saying this, she was still struggling. Jungkook rolled his eyes.

"Don't force yourself, I weigh much more than six bags of rice." She didn't want to hurt the brunette girl.

"I give up on you. Do as you please."

"Ah! I've upset Kookie."

"Put me down!" Voices were jumping in and out of Yerim's head that she began to go into overdrive.

"I can do it!" Just when they were both going to fall from the imbalance, he finally intervenes like a superhero saving the day, "Be careful. Stop being so nice all the time." Jungkook took the other arm, so the balance is restored.

"Kookie, I thought you left." Yerim peered at him who had frustration written all over his face.

"If I did, this traitor wouldn't leave me in peace right?" He shot her a menacing look, "So don't you frame me for breaking those dishes."

Their eyes went to a stranded cart next to a tree, "Get on."

"There's no way I'm getting on that."

"Well, I can't help it if she intends to help you."

 

-

 

Yerim and Jungkook was pushing her uphill on the side of the road since they'd be blocking people walking if they were on the pathway.

"...I must be repaying my karma debt to you." She was saying.

"You better, you gave me hell, and I still have to be your slave," Jungkook complained.

"Are you tired? Should I get you water?" Yerim kindly asked in the middle of their heated argument.

"Water is bland, soda is much better. And push me to some shady place, will you?"

"We're melting. You're such a diva! I'm all sweaty here. All you do is whine. I should just let you go so you'll fall and tumble to your demise." intimidated Jungkook.

"No no no. Please no." The woman panicked, making the wooden cart shake.

"Don't be so mean," warned Yerim. Jungkook flashed Yerim a crooked grin.

"Just kidding," he wanted to be on her good side. "As if I would do time for a piece of fat." He mumbled quickly afterwards. Yerim ignored him and asked her another question, "So where's your house again, Rachel?" She tries hard to recall her name after hearing Jungkook say it a couple of times.

 

-

 

They finally were able to transport Rachel to her home after 15 or so minutes. "It's just a sprain. Rub it with medicinal wine, and you'd be fine." Jungkook advised coldly as he and Yerim settled down on a fuzzy couch. "Thank you indeed. You are all sweaty. I really am sorry. There are sodas and ice-cream in the fridge. Help yourselves to them." Her gruff manners were curiou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter