Rise & Fall

Sweet Oasis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wow! Another pig doll sold!!” Yerim squealed, dropping the hard-earned cash in her bag. A fresh breeze interrupted his thoughts. “Um yeah, this time, we actually helped someone find her lost pet. What are the odds? You sure do alot of good deeds for somebody who's...” Yerim nodded while looking directly at him; then, as if the gaze were too intense, he lowered his eyes, his face suddenly veiled under a blanket of shyness.

“Let’s call it a day… Overwatch! Here I come!” Jungkook’s words caught her attention. “Overwatch? I’ve played that before!!” Yerim’s face changed rather quickly, “But… I think I forgot how to play it…” He paused, looking down at her. “You wanna play?”
“Unnhg” Yerim’s smile released him at last. Her rosy cheeks erased the world of his worries.
“Alrighty, let’s both go to the arcade then!” Jungkook was planning to walk her home before playing since he knew most girls don’t usually play games as intensely as he does. So this was news to him.


-


"Yeah, I come here often when I was still at BTS,” he was saying.
“What? Working and playing? At the same time?”
“Yeah, I played more than I worked. Pretty bad work ethic isn’t it?”
“Ethic….?”
Jungkook extended his hand, “Come, it’s getting late.” They ducked into the cave-like room, cool and cedar-lined, dimly lit by pairs of hanging lightbulbs above that grazed his head when Jungkook straightened up.
Every now and then whenever he comes here, he looked forward to the clanging of bells from the lycée across the street, signalling the end of the school day and the burst of children’s voices on the worn white marble school steps.
“Ok, there seems to be no queue, so we’re good,” Jungkook said, too loudly. He offered Yerim a chair as he perched on another one beside her with the giant gaming machines in-front of them. Then, he put the purple handphones on her carefully, encouraging her to start a new game. A few seconds in, she seemed uneasy. While playing Overwatch with headphones, the audio was too loud which made her hands shoot up beside her ears.
He gently removed the headphones as if to stop a ticking bomb, “Too loud? Have a rest. I’ll take it from here.”
Jungkook noticed how she always has her hands near her ears when she was scared or startled. He proceeded to wear the same headphones that Yerim had worn, not bothering to turn down the volume.
“Yerim.” He sighed. “Soon, you’ll know how talented I am at this game. Watch me.” His intense dark eyes focused on the screen as if he just discovered a treasure buried deep beneath the seafloor. “Yesssss the memories are coming back.” He returned his attention to the keyboard keys. As he touched the arrow buttons, his gaze softened.


He played into the night that he didn’t keep watch of the time as Yerim observed him from behind. The redness appeared more vibrantly at the corners of his eyes as he squinted at the screen. He touched the dark hair at his forehead, which had begun to grow longer just a bit below his eyebrows. He grabbed a handful of it in frustration. “Damn, I lost again.” Not a moment too soon, he figured it was too quiet, especially with such a girl here.
“Yerim?” He twisted around, expecting to see her smiling back but she fell asleep already, like a baby deer.
He took a deep breath before standing up and stretching. Before placing his mossy green jacket over her, he observed her darlingly and reluctantly. He immediately decided to keep watch over her through the night although he wished he could send her home where it would be more comfortable.

-

We stared back at each other for what seemed like hours until she finally dropped her gaze, “And there’s one more thing,” her voice was quieter now, less sure. She looked back up at me; a gentle flush of pink had arisen in her cheeks that made her look vulnerable. I held my breath as she leaned up on the tips of her toes and tentatively pressed her soft lips to mine.
"Whoa." He leaned over the heavy head tilted back on the top rail of the chair, the draped half-shut eyes, which cried waterlessly, the mouth yawning open, as if bored with life. In every cell of his body, Jungkook felt it happen: the end for his delusional mind, his love for Yerim was starting. Jungkook could feel his face growing hot even if it was just a dream. If you find that you have fallen in love with a wrong person, what would you do? I mean.. if maybe..

Jungkook’s heart took a sudden leap. He put on an expression of reflection. It was a possibility that something in him had smelt it out and leapt at it even before his brain.
A man smiled brightly when he saw Jungkook. “AHHHHH!” He flinched awkwardly. Sleepless and restless during the night and the wee hours of the morning, Jungkook’s recognition abilities had dropped a mile. “Suho? Where am I? At the house?”
“You’re at what seems to be a gaming arcade? Hm, so it works.”
Suho tried to find them last night by using a GPS tracking method which required the help of Yerim’s phone being on. He learnt this trick from a friend at work.
Jungkook couldn’t care less what he was on about but his sister. He glanced at the spot where she slept last night. What replaced her was a father sat there watching his child play Dragon Ball Z in front of him. “Where is she? I-I mean Yerim.” Jungkook jumped so suddenly his straight chair upset behind him. He set it up again and ran out without waiting for Suho’s answer. All Suho gave him was a small huff,  “This kid.”

-

After several runs to the house with his stamina diminishing, Jungkook would often reward himself with some blueberries and a slice of apple tart at the Golden Sun and watch the swallows on a summer’s midday’s swoop in and out of the window as if they were part of the pie’s filling. And so there, he ran, and ran, and ran. Did I sleep in or something? . Suho must have told her to get ready for work earlier this morning. Punctual as usual, he tidied himself up. It was true, Yerim was just sat there at a table along with Shindong… and Suho???
"Stop."


He recollected himself. Why do I care so much for this girl?? He took a deep breath with his back against the wall before entering like nothing happened last night. “Ah, Jungkook, where have you been? I could’ve driven you here to see her. Would’ve saved you a lot of running, dude.”
He walked in silently and took a seat at the best table, just inside the door, under the tart-laden windowsill and asked for a drink like any normal customer. A light rain blew fresh, moist air into the restaurant. Before he knew it, Yerim's eyes met his wondering why he was sitting so far away.


“Anyways, let’s continue. So you’re suggesting that Yerim should start a pig doll shop? So like a flea market?” Shindong nodded as if nothing could change his mind, “They’ve made hundreds by selling those

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter