Chapter 10

Fall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tae Rin woke up early as usual and head downstairs for breakfast. She saw Jongin was eating pancakes in the kitchen. “Morning” Jongin greeted her. “Morning” Tae Rin replied.

“I made extra pancakes if you want some. Help yourself” he said.

“Thanks” Tae Rin took the pancakes and ate it. They remained silent for few minutes until Jongin broke the silence and said “I’m going out to meet someone today. So I might come back home late. Don’t wait for me”

“Have a date with your girlfriend?” Tae Rin didn’t intend to ask that questions but it just blurted out. Don’t be so busy body Tae Rin! She cursed herself.

“Who? Me? ” Jongin pointed at himself. Tae Rin didn’t respond and continued on eating. “I didn’t even have a girlfriend to go on a date with” he chuckled. “I’m going to meet an important person and then hang out with Sehun” Jongin sipped on his coffee. He didn’t mention to her that the important person is her father. He didn’t want to ruin the mood. Haneul told him this morning that his father in-law gained consciousness last night. Jongin thought that he should visit him to keep updated on his condition so that he can tell Tae Rin if anything happen or if she ask. “Do you have any plan today?” Jongin asked Tae Rin.

“No. I’ll just stay at home” Tae Rin replied. Jongin nodded.

 

Jongin parked his car at the hospital basement parking. He stayed in the car for a while and pondered. He realised that when Tae Rin asked about whether he’s having a date with a girlfriend, his stomach was in knots. It reminded him of the incident that happened yesterday in the club. He felt as if he was caught cheating by Tae Rin this morning. He didn’t know why he felt nervous though. I don’t love her but why I felt guilty about it? Even if I kiss or make out with a girl, it shouldn’t matter because we’re husband and wife in a paper, not in real life. I should be hating her but why am I feeling this way. What is going on with me? Jongin bang his head lightly on the steering wheel. Kim Jongin, get your act together! She’s not someone that you should care about but then again, why am I here though? He wondered why he’s visiting his father in-law. Right, that’s because I need to save my face. I can’t act like a useless son in-law. Mom and dad will kill me. He then got out of his car and proceeded to the room.

When Jongin entered the room, he saw his father in-law lying weak on the bed with his eyes opened. His mother in-law was massaging his legs. She looked up at Jongin and said “Oh I didn’t expect you to come today. Is Tae Rin coming?” she asked even though she knew the answer. Mr. Song turned to look at Jongin and smiled weakly.

“She…have something to do today. I think she will come later” Jongin lied. “How are you doing father?” Jongin asked as he approached him.

“My body felt a bit stiff since I’ve been lying on the bed for too long” he replied. His voice sounds weak and a bit hoarse.

“The doctor said he need a bit massage and a cane to support him if he’s going to walk” Mrs Song said. “His heart is still weak. I told you to rest but you overwork yourself. Look at you now” Mrs Song babbled at her husband. “Where did you go last time?” she asked.

Mr Song smiled. “I visited someone”

“This old man didn’t know what rest is” Mrs Song looked at Jongin and sighed. Jongin just smiled.

“Honey, I need to speak to Jongin alone. You can go and eat or change your clothes while you are at that. You’d been here since last night, I think you need a rest too” Mr Song said while looking at his wife. Mrs Song nodded and gave them a privacy. When Mrs Song left, Jongin took a sit that was previously occupied by Mrs Song.

“Do you have anything to tell me father?” Jongin asked.

“How you and Tae Rin doing?” he asked. Jongin was flabbergasted with the question. He didn’t know how he should answer him. Jongin took a minute to answer.

“We’re doing fine” Jongin answered. He felt a bit tense especially when his father in-law was looking straight into his eyes. Mr Song half-smiled at Jongin.

“Thank you for marrying my daughter” Mr Song said. “I knew she has a cold personality but trust me, she’s the most warm-hearted and sweetest girl one can ever find. It’s my fault that she turned into who she’s now” Mr Song looked at the wall in front of him, still half smiled.

“Did something happen to her before?” Jongin took the chance to ask about Tae Rin’s past.

Mr Song let out a heavy sigh “Well, something did happen but I can’t tell you until it is the right time to do so. What I can tell you is she’s been hurt a lot by people, including me. I’m such an incompetent father. I’d been harsh to her all this time” he stopped for a while before he continued “I hurt her feeling a lot when I should shower her with loves that she deserve” Mr Song turned to look at Jongin and hold his hands “Please don’t leave her. I know I’m being shameful right now but I need someone that she can lean on and protect her “Mr Song grips became tighter and Jongin could feel it. He started to tear up. “I don’t know how much time left for me but I can’t be by her side when she need me the most. When that time come, please don’t leave her. Someone need to be by her side and you’re the only one I can trust”

Jongin was perplexed with what Mr Song said. His mouth slightly opened, not sure what to response. He can’t promise him that he will do it but at the same time, he didn’t want to disappoint the old man. His eyes showed a sincere and hopeful look and it make Jongin felt guilty if he reply a no. “I…don’t get what you mean by ‘that time’. What will be happening soon? Is it something bad?” Jongin asked instead.

“Tae Rin…” Mr Song hesitated a bit. “She…”

“Mr Song, it’s time for your medicine…opps! I’m sorry I disturbed your conversation. I didn’t realise there’s a guest in the room” The nurse suddenly appeared and both Jongin and Mr Song were surprised. She bowed as an apology.

“Oh no that’s fine. We already finished talking” Mr Song smiled at the nurse. He then turned to Jongin again “You will find out soon Jongin. In the meantime, promise me you will be by my daughter’s side. It’s the only wish I have and the last thing I can do as her father” he smiled weakly.

“Al…alright father. I promise” Jongin smiled. He then stood up. “I think I should go now so that you can take your medicine” he said. “Please take care of your health father” he bowed before he left the room.

Jongin walked towards his car with a lot of things playing around in his mind. He tried to figure out what Mr Song said but he couldn’t get a reasonable conclusion to that. He badly want to find out what did he mean by ‘that time’. If the nurse didn’t barged in, he might find at least some clues to that. He took out his smartphone and called Seokjin.

“Have you find out about it?” he asked straight the moment Seokjin answered the call. He did ask Seokjin to find out about Tae Rin’s past.

“I tried but there’s a lot of holes. It seems like someone already deleted the information. All I knew is she used to have a brother. His name is Song Tae Hyung. I’m not sure where he is now. I couldn’t find it as well as Miss Tae Rin’s mother. The only thing I found out about them is they left when she’s 11 years old and Mr Song remarried to his current wife a year after” Seokjin said.

“They left? Is it possible to track down where they are now?” Jongin asked.

“It may be but I need to find someone to do it and it usually take some time to find out since their data was lost or should I say deleted” Seokjin answered. “Why would someone deleted their data? Do you think something happen Mr Kim?”

“I’m not sure as well. That’s why I’m trying to find out what had happened before. Tae Rin won’t tell me anything and I don’t want to pressure Mr Song to tell me when he’s not doing well. Anyway, do anything you can and inform me if there’s anything new” Jongin ended the call. It’s a bit suspicious that someone deleted the data. Who could it be? Is there anything happened that they don’t want the world to know? All of these must be connected to ‘that time’ and what Joong Ki mentioned before. I’m sure it’s connected to Tae Rin’s dream as well. I think the key to all of these is Tae Rin’s mother and brother’s whereabouts.

 

Tae Rin was enjoying the evening weather while sipping on her hot chocolate. She cuddled herself in a fluffy throw on a couch in the living room. She was reading a book to kill her time. She loves reading books because that’s one of a way to distract her mind from unnecessary thoughts and to keep herself from mingling with people. She preferred poetic novel and she have tons of poetic novels in her old room. She only brought some here. Suddenly her phone rang and Joong Ki’s name appeared on the screen. Tae Rin ignored the call at first but decided to answer it when he called three times.

“What is it?” Tae Rin answered the call.

“Can we meet?” Joong Ki asked.

“Why?” Tae Rin asked shortly.

“I have something to tell you” he answered.

“Is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter