031

End Game

 

The waiter pulled the seat for Jiwon, she thanked him before sitting down. Her brows furrowed as she looked around them. They were at Pollen, the popular restaurant insde the famous Flower Dome.

“Any food allergies, Jiwon?”

She looked up, Mrs. Tuan was smiling as she faced her.

“Uhm, nothing really, I~”

“Garlic. She doesn’t like garlic.” Mark spoke, she glanced at him, he was seated across her, while Joey remained quiet beside her.

“How are you finding Singapore so far, Jiwon?” Mr. Tuan spoke.

“I like it, so much better than Seoul right now. It’s too cold back home.” Jiwon nodded, the elder chuckled.

Correct, I was there a few weeks ago. I just wanted to hide in my office.” He joked.

“Right, I remember our company is working with yours. Forgive me, but I don’t really meddle with the family business. Can I ask how it’s coming along?” Mrs. Tuan asked her.

“Yes, it’s going well. It’s a strip mall located in Busan. It’s a first in that area.” She said politely.

I did review our files for that, exceptional work, miss Hong.” Mr. Tuan said playfully, Jiwon shook her head.

“Not really, the project started with a lot of scandal, I’m actually a little flustered sitting here with all of you.”

Flustered? Grandpa praised her so well.” Mark chuckled, Joey paused.

“My father must really like you then, he rarely praises anyone. Not even Mark.” Mr. Tuan smiled, Jiwon nodded back and picked up her fork.

Grandpa Tuan is just really nice.” She scrunched her nose, a little shy. Mark grew amused as he glanced at her, her cheeks had gone pink.

Then, if I ever visit Seoul for some shopping, will you be my tour guide?” Mrs. Tuan reached for her hand.

“Y—Yes, sure. I’ll take you the best spots, auntie.”

Joey grinned and looked at his brother meaningfully, Mark winked at Jiwon before going back to her purse.

Whoa, just staring at you, you’re really pretty.” Mrs. Tuan smiled.

Jiwon just bit her lip and nodded, she wanted to go hide under the table. Mark just nudged her sneakers with the tip of his shoes, she looked up to meet his gaze.

You’re doing great, sweetie.” He mouthed, Jiwon just glared at him.

 

 

“I cannot believe this.” Songah was smiling from ear to ear as she looked at her laptop, Jaebum was seated beside her, confused.

“See? He’s been hiding her there!” Jackson cheered.

“Yesterday it was juat a rumor, they were photographed eating out and shopping, but now,” Songah pointed towards the screen again.

It’s Joey. And mommy. And daddy.” She chuckled.

“The articles are crazy, even the comments.” Jaebum murmured as he scrolled down the page, Songah stood up and got herself a drink from the vending machine.

“So, what happens now? What about Luhan?”

“I don’t care, Jinyoung says that the wedding may have been cancelled.” She replied.

“What?” Jaebum looked up.

“Yesterday, he was at this conference in Jeju, he heard some people from LG mention that the deal with Xi Holdings has been postponed.”

Jackson started to smile.

“Should we celebrate?” He chortled.

“Mark must be celebrating right now.” Jaebum mused before setting the laptop down.

“I feel like they’ll like her. The Tuans.” Songah said wistfully.

“They’ll love her.”

 

 

Jiwon exhaled as she leaned against the bench, she looked around her appreciating the rare flowers and other trees being grown in the dome.

So, how was the food? Did you like it?” Mark asked as he reached her, she glanced behind him, Joey and his father were walking towards the exit, while Mrs. Tuan was on the phone.

It was good.” She nodded as she walked with him.

Your father wanted me to tell you that….

He wants to talk?” Jiwon finished, Mark nodded back.

I’ve been thinking about it too,” Jiwon unconsciously held onto the sleeve of his coat as they reached the exit doors.

Do I still want to go home or just live here?” She hummed, Mark chuckled.

Do you like the weather here?

Yeah.” She nodded quickly.

Then, stay.” Mark glanced at her.

I know I should go home too. I can only imagine work piling up on my desk.” She shuddered, Mark chuckled before taking her hand in his.

Jiwon paused, her brows rose up as she looked at their fingers laced together.

You saw articles, huh?” Mark spoke, she blinked.

I think..I did.

I just had them taken down yesterday, but new ones~

Mark, wait,” She halted and pulled her hand away, Mark paused and he faced her.

“I—kinda need to go.” She switched to Korean.

“I’ll drive you then, the car~”

“No, it’s fine, spend the day with your family.” She said with a small smile, Mark noticed how jumpy she sounded.

“Ya, is everything alright?” Mark asked worriedly.

“No, I just..I’ll see you later? Okay? Take care. Please send my thanks to your parents. I enjoyed lunch.” Jiwon kissed his cheek before dashing towards the taxicab stand.

Mark waved one hand.

Yes, sir?” His guard approached him.

I don’t want you to follow her, but make sure she’s safe.” He said before walking towards his car, Mark exhaled before sliding inside his Rover and speeding away from the parking lot.

 

 

Jiwon picked up her drink and leaned back on her seat, she was at Clarke Quay, observing locals and tourist relaxing as the sun set down.

She pushed her drink away from her and leaned back on her seat, then she almost jumped when her phone started to ring. She sighed, she had decided to finally switch it on a few hours ago.

“Oh my god, I almost forgot about her.” Jiwon stared at the screen before answering.

“Hi, Song,”

“Hi? You’ve been gone for a week!”

Jiwon flinched.

“Yes, I’ve been doing well. Thank you.” Jiwon replied dryly.

“How are you? I called Mark, he told me you ran off after lunch. What’s up? Are you drinking alone again?”

Jiwon paused, she took a small sip from her drink.

“He sounded worried, did something happen? Were his parents mean to you?”

“No, no, they were super nice. I wasn’t expecting that, actually.” She murmured, Songah chuckled from the other end.

“Then, what is it? It’s not like you to run away from Tuan.” Songah asked.

“I just…You know too, huh?” Jiwon whispered.

“What? That he’s been helping you hide there? Duh.

“No, not that. That..that..thing,”

“What?”

“Songah, please don’t make me say it out loud.” She groaned, Songah actually started to laugh.

“So, you finally found out?”

“Well, not exactly..Joey was..Joey told me.”

“Whoa, somebody had to tell you? What is wrong with you, Hong Jiwon?” Songah chided.

“Well, I was~”

“Okay, let’s skip the part, where he put up with you patiently, he was the only one who understood you, especially when Luhan came in the picture.”

Jiwon bit her lip.

“Jiwon, the guy flew you to Singapore, opened up his penthouse for you and got you a Mustang.”

“Songah~”

“And not just that, he never pressured you into anything. When he dyed his hair, he was a little worried that you’d flee away from him. He didn’t want things to change.”

“Look, I know you …well, you just got out of that Luhan thing, and this is probably terrifying for you, but, Jiwon, it’s Mark.”

Jiwon looked at her shoes.

“So, don’t…don’t do this to him. Don’t run away from him. He’s no Luhan, you know that.”

“I know, but it’s..”

“Overwhelming, yes?”

Jiwon exhaled.

“Kinda, but…I don’t know, Song.” She murmured.

“Then,give him a call and have him pick you up. He’s worried, Jiwon.”

“Besides, like I said, it’s just Mark. The only thing he wants is for you to be happy.”

“Mark’s a little difficult, huh?” Jiwon finally spoke.

“What are you saying?” Songah replied, she shook her head.

“You’re right, it’s terrifying.”

“Jiwon~”

“He’s always been a threat, Songah. I know.”

Songah chuckled.

“I’ll call him, don’t worry.”

“I know. Take care.”

Jiwon ended the call, she looked at the screen again, she let out a breath before pressing on Mark’s contact number on the list.

Red?

I’m outside, can you come pick me up?

What if I don’t want to?” His tone was teasing, Jiwon couldn’t help but smile.

I’ll ask some rich Singaporean dude to drop me off at your penthouse then.” She hummed, Mark snorted.

“You don’t have to take down those rumors, I’ll deal with it once I get back.” She added.

“Red, those were rumors about you and~”

 

“I know but it’s just you, so it’s okay. I’ll wait for you here. Drive safely.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++