running in the rain: soonyoung & chan

Seventeen Drabbles

running in the rain: soonyoung & chan

idolverse.

°。°。°。°。°。°。°。゜。°。°。°。。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°

Chan loves the little cafe on the corner - the little trinkets on the counter, the soft lighting; and the permanent aroma of ground coffee wafting through the air, with subtle hints of cinnamon and matcha. It's a cozy little place; a sweet escape from life - it's like he's transported into some kind of dreamland whenever he crosses through the threshold of the front door, accompanied by the melodious tinkling of bells.

What he doesn't really like is when his hyungs send him to run errands. As the youngest in all of Seventeen (he'll be an adult next year, he constantly tells himself); sometimes the older members ask him to do too many things - taking out the trash, paying for their food when they order in, which is an incredible pain in the , because they always go dutch, so Chan's developed a knack for speed calculation. He'd never really complained; always respectful of his elders, so he has to comply. He'd grown up tough, having twelve older brothers with distinct personalities - he'd learnt how to handle each of them over the years of living with them.

This is his third coffee run of the week. Only this time, Soonyoung is with him, touching everything on the counter as Chan prattles off the memorised orders to the barista, which is a hefty list. Of course, everyone has their own complicated order; so it's a miracle that Chan can remember them all.

"Your coffee will be ready soon; please wait for a while." The barista says, already dreading all the coffee he has to make.

Chan nods gratefully, then takes a seat at the nearest table. Soonyoung's still in awe of the little coffee shop, his lips agape as he stares at the fairy lights strung around the ceiling. The performance team leader absently touches the little drummer boy next to the basket of cookies on the counter, almost dropping the figurine.

"Hyung, stop touching things." Chan grits through his teeth, keeping a smile on his face.

Soonyoung flounces over and flops into the chair near Chan. "Those miniature things are cute! No wonder Jihoon puts them in his studio. And how come you've never taken me here?"

Chan sighs. "'Cause you've always been busy practicing, hyung."

Seventeen had colonized the practice room in the basement, going over their new choreography, gearing up for yet another comeback. As performance team leader, Soonyoung's been working alongside his team, as well as their choreography teacher to create dance moves unique to Seventeen's image to match the energetic song that Jihoon had composed. All thirteen members had been practicing the new dance moves for hours on end, perfecting every step, making sure they're in sync. Soonyoung had finally called for a break, and everyone suddenly wanted coffee to fuel their tired bodies - so Chan was called upon to buy the beverages.

It had been madness, with everyone having their own specific order - Seokmin had requested for several different sugary additions to his drink, all of which had obnoxiously colourful names that Chan had to remember. Once Chan had gotten everyone's orders, and was ready to leave, Soonyoung had been ordered to accompany the youngest, banished from his own kingdom, the practice room; once Seungcheol had found out that he'd been in there for almost two days straight.

"You're like a troll. Go out and get some fresh air." Seungcheol remarked playfully, as Jihoon laughed like a maniac behind him.

So Chan had to drag Soonyoung along, and it's like the older boy is seeing the world for the first time; stopping to marvel at every little thing he finds fascinating. Chan scrolls through his phone, trying to ignore Soonyoung.

The front door jingles, and two loud newcomers enter the shop. Chan can hear them practically from a mile away, recognizing those voices before he even sees their faces.

It's Seokmin and Seungkwan, both with huge smiles on their faces. Soonyoung lights up when he sees them, skipping over to greet them with a hug, like he hasn't seen them in days.

The two main vocalists are in a heated discussion about the merits of sugar in coffee, and Chan really doesn't want to get into their conversation; as Soonyoung adds his own opinion: "The more sugar, the better!"

Soonyoung easily gets sugar rush; and when he does, he's twice as hyper than he is right now, so Chan always tells the barista to lessen the sugar in Soonyoung's beverage - not that the older boy knows.

"We're here to help you bring the coffee back to the practice room." Seungkwan flops dramatically into a chair across Chan. The maknae raises an eyebrow, and doesn't point out that he's always alone when going on coffee runs, trying to balance almost fifteen cups at once without spilling the contents; but today's a rare exception.

"It's more like Seungcheol-hyung chased us out from the practice room because we were too noisy, but that doesn't matter." Seokmin corrects with a bright smile, as Soonyoung clings to him.

Chan sighs inwardly. He loves his hyungs, but it really takes guts and patience to handle them.

The barista calls up his orders soon enough, and Chan goes through a mental check to make sure that all beverages are accounted for. He thanks the barista, more than happy to return to the practice room - that's the only time when his hyungs are serious and when he can be taken seriously.

Seokmin and Seungkwan cut in front of Chan and grab the drink carriers before the youngest has the chance to.

"We'll take these back to the practice room, everyone's waiting!" With that, they leave the cafe with a tinkling of bells. Chan's baffled at the sudden coffee raid, so he stands there, trying to collect his thoughts. What just happened back there?

"Channie, I want some waffles." Soonyoung says, pulling his lips into a little sad pout.

"Hyung, we've got to get back to the practice room. Seungcheol-hyung will be looking for us."

"I've been in that cave of a basement for two days straight. Cheol-hyung won't mind."

"Not if you don't buy waffles for everyone." Chan points out, remembering the pact that Seventeen has - if someone eats, everyone eats. No man left behind. "Besides, Seokmin-hyung and Seungkwan-hyung just went back with all the coffee, so they'd be looking for us."

Soonyoung's already calling the waiter, ordering blueberry waffles. "Don't worry, Channie. I'll eat really fast. We can share, too!"

"It's okay, hyung. I'm not really hungry." Chan gives in, knowing that there's no dissuade Soonyoung. The elder starts talking about getting fairy lights to decorate their room, and Chan simply listens, trying to stand on neutral ground; knowing that their roommate Wonwoo would put up a fight against it.

The waffles arrive in no time, and Soonyoung chomps down on them in half a second. Chan simply watches the elder with an amused face.

"These are reaaaaaaaally good." Soonyoung says, dragging the syllables for emphasis. He waves a forkful in Chan's face. "Open up!"

Chan shakes his head adamantly, so Soonyoung tries a different approach.

"Zooooooooooom. The airplane is here!"

"Seriously, hyung?"

"The more you refuse, the longer it'll take for me to finish and Cheol-hyung might actually kill us!"

The youngest opens up his mouth, and the taste of blueberry greets his tastebuds.

"It's delicious, right?"

Chan nods in agreement, smiling, as he watches Soonyoung finish up his food in two more bites. "I'm done. Bill, please!"

The waiter comes over with the check, and Soonyoung pats his pockets for change, only to find them empty.

"Channie, I don't have money." Soonyoung leans over and whispers, then flashes and innocent smile at their waiting server.

Chan sighs, and pulls out some bills from his wallet. Who knows when Soonyoung would pay him back? "Keep the change." He says, and the waiter visibly lights up.

The two of them emerge from the coffee shop out into the streets, and as if on cue, a rumble of thunder resonates throughout the city.

"Uh-oh, it's gonna rain." Chan looks up to the sky, which is an omnious grey. "Hyung, let's hurry."

"Last one back is a rotten egg!" Soonyoung races off, getting a head start ahead of the younger. Fifty metres ahead, Chan manages to catch up with the elder, who's already bent over on his knees, catching his breath.

"Maybe running after a meal isn't good." Soonyoung pants, looking up at Chan, who slows down to a jog next to him.

"We've still got to hurry." Chan says, as the first drops of rain hit the ground. Around them, umbrellas are going up, everyone else prepared for the rain, and rushing indoors.

"Why does the company have to be so far?" Soonyoung complains, as Chan drags him into a speed walk.

Chan shakes his head, knowing that Pledis is just a few corners away. They'd make it, before the storm breaks fully, though his jacket is getting drenched with every step. "Hyung, come on, let's not get wet!"

Soonyoung's taking a leisurely walk, enjoying the rain on his skin. "I'm already wet anyway, so it doesn't make any difference how fast I go. Besides, I'm already wearing a hat."

The rain starts getting heavier, and the youngest urges Soonyoung to hurry once more. "Hyung, we can't get sick from this rain."

"You're right. It's pretty cold." Soonyoung reaches for Chan's hand, then breaks into a run, leading the younger back to their company building. They splash through the puddles, and a sudden flash of lightning in the distance shocks Chan.

"Hold on, Channie, we're almost there!" Soonyoung yells, sensing that Chan's grip is slipping away. They hurtle through the streets, almost blinded by the heavy rain, but soon they finally reach the familiar front door of the company building.

Chan's shivering from the cold as Soonyoung punches in the security code, and they tumble into the front lobby, drenched all over. Seungcheol's there, waiting for them, pacing; while Jihoon sips his coffee leisurely at one of the tables.

"Didn't think that you guys would run through that storm." Seungcheol says, crossing his arms. His expression is unreadable as Chan prepares an apology at the tip of his tongue.

"Wouldn't want to make you guys wait." Chan pants, stripping off his wet jacket. Seungcheol digs through one of the boxes of newly arrived merchandise nearby and picks out two towels, handing them over to Soonyoung and Chan.

"We'd understand. I don't want you guys to get sick." Seungcheol says with a concerned look, as the two drenched boys wrap themselves in a towel each.

"Hyung, that's so sweet, I'd ask you for a hug right now, but I'm wet." Soonyoung tells Seungcheol with a serious

"Go get changed." Jihoon rasps from his seat, clearly enjoying his extended break. "Otherwise, I'm gonna drink your coffee."

Soonyoung screams and rushes off, hoping that Jihoon won't drink his precious coffee.

"We'll wait for you guys, don't worry. The rest of the kids like the longer break - I think Jeonghan is taking a nap right now." Seungcheol says.

"Thanks, hyung." Chan scurries off to the practice room where he keeps his backpack for a change of clothes.

"Go, kid." Seungcheol smiles, grabbing a seat next to Jihoon.

Sometimes, his hyungs can be too much. But most times, they're the most annoyingly lovable bunch who'd protect him to the ends of the earth.

°。°。°。°。°。°。°。゜。°。°。°。。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°