do you want to build a snowman?: jihoon and kid!hansol

Seventeen Drabbles

do you want to build a snowman?: jihoon and kid!hansol

featuring jihoon, kid!hansol and uncle mingyu.

°。°。°。°。°。°。°。゜。°。°。°。。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°

"Daddy, it's snowing!"

Jihoon makes a non-committal sound, pretending to hear his son Hansol; he's too immersed in his work to listen. The 5-year-old doesn't relent, and hops onto his father's lap to get his attention.

"Daddy, can we go play in the snow? Pleeeeeeeeaseeeeee." Hansol smiles adorably at his father.

Jihoon melts instantaneously at his son's puppy-dog face, and puts his work aside. "Go get your coat."

Hansol runs out of the living room, screaming excitedly. It only takes him two seconds to shrug on his jacket, but Jihoon adds a couple more layers, a scarf, a beanie, as well as gloves, because he doesn't want his son to catch a cold. Hansol's already out the door as Jihoon's still bundling up, so he follows his son, with an arm halfway caught in the sleeve of his parka.

"Snow!" Hansol dives face-first onto the ground. It's been snowing for a while - the whole neighbourhood is covered in white, and no one else is crazy enough to go outside and play, instead, opting for the warmth of their homes.

Jihoon stands aside and watches Hansol build a snowman, rolling snow into a ball for the base. The little boy hums to himself, and Jihoon keeps an eye on him, wondering if he could leave the child alone for a couple of seconds to grab a pair of gloves.

"Daddy, help me!" Hansol calls out, as he struggles with the snowball that's now half as big as he is. Jihoon doesn't say a word and helps the little boy, as they push the growing snowball around their yard for a few rounds, little Hansol yelling encouragement at his jaded father.

"How big do you want this snowball to be?" Jihoon pants, a cloud of vapour forming in front of his face. The biting snow almost freezes his fingers; they're already numb. The mild cardio Hansol puts him under doesn't pump enough blood to his peripherals, so Jihoon grits his teeth. A brief look at his excited child warms his heart, and he smiles to himself.

"As big as the house! C'mon daddy, you're so sloooooow." Hansol urges, pushing the snowball with much effort - as it gets bigger, it also gets heavier.

"It's already big enough, Hansol." Jihoon slumps onto the ground, sitting next to the snowball: now it's three times bigger than his son. Who knew that pushing a snowball around the yard would be so tiring? Jihoon resolves to sign up for a gym in the new year, but we'll see how well that'll work out.

"I wanna make the head now!" Hansol rushes off, and starts making a new snowball. Jihoon simply watches his son from afar, admiring the boy's tenacious energy and pure excitement. He'd give anything to keep his son from growing up - Hansol's the most precious thing he has - and a smile creeps across his face, feeling blessed that he's spending time with the best son in the whole wide world.

Jihoon pats the snowball next to him - it feels as fluffy as a cloud - but it's not fully intact; the next thing he knows, snow spills onto him.

As if on cue, Hansol looks up to check on his dad. When he sees his father half-covered in snow, he abandons his snowball and marches over.

"Daddy, what did you do?" Hansol looks like a concerned schoolteacher, his hands on his hips.

Jihoon starts laughing, his ears turning red. "The snowball exploded."

Hansol evaluates the situation, his imaginary beard. "Daddy, you look like a snowman."

This makes Jihoon laugh even harder at the unbelievably adorable things that come out of Hansol's mouth. He's surprised though, when Hansol starts piling snow onto his body.

"Hansol, what are you doing?" Jihoon has a faint idea of what's happening, but you can never know how Hansol's mind works.

"You're the snowman, daddy!" Hansol's lips are pursed as he focuses on his work, patting the snow around the ground. Jihoon can't move now; his legs are already covered in snow.

"Hey, what's going on?" Mingyu, their neighbour, walks past, carrying a plastic bag from the convenience store. He joins in the father-son party in the yard without invitation.

"I'm building a snowman!" Hansol calls out, barely looking at the older man.

"Hey, Mingyu." Jihoon greets his friend.

Mingyu bursts into laughter when he sees the half-buried Jihoon, and a mischievous grin appears on his face. "Let me help you, Hansol."

"Thanks, Uncle Mingyu."

Jihoon can't protest anymore, and he simply lets Mingyu and Hansol pile snow onto him, though he makes a mental note to himself to kill Mingyu one day.

"You cold, Jihoon?" Mingyu notices that Jihoon's ears are turning redder by the moment.

"Nah, it's pretty warm." Jihoon replies sarcastically.

"Cool." Mingyu doesn't get it, and pats more snow around Jihoon. He's buried almost up to his neck now - the cold snow around him feels like a capsule.

"Hansol, are you done?" Jihoon asks his son, who's still busy, mumbling incoherently to himself. He's worried that his own son, with the help of their bumbling neighbour, would try to bury him alive in the snow.

Hansol steps backwards to assess his artwork. "Done!" Mingyu jumps excitedly, cheering, giving the little boy a high five.

"Are you going to give me a carrot nose as well?" Jihoon asks, as Hansol approaches him to pat the snow crumbling around his neck.

Hansol looks at his father. "Daddy, you already have a nose." The little boy gives his dad a peck on the nose. Jihoon smiles at Hansol, his eyes turning into little crescents.

"Awwww, how cute!" Mingyu coos from the side.

"How long to I have to sit like this?" Jihoon looks at his little son.

"Until I say okay." Hansol decides, hugging the snow around his father. He giggles, then runs off.

Jihoon's not one to say yes to most people, but for his baby Hansol, he'd do anything. He's so grateful for Hansol, the most precious little being to him, for bringing him so much happiness. It's not like Jihoon to be terribly sappy, but he loves Hansol more than anything in the whole wide world. Though he's cold, and probably looks ridiculous sitting in the middle of his yard in a snow capsule, he wishes that moments like this could last forever - the little bits of happiness that distract him from the cynics of the world.

"Hansol."

"Yes, daddy?" The little boy is now making snow angels, bless the little angel.

"Love you."

"I love you too, daddy."

°。°。°。°。°。°。°。゜。°。°。°。。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°