Chapter 9

Skeletons in the Closet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Inhye opened her eyes to Yoonsung waking her up with the brightest smile ever. He seemed to have came into her room while she was sleeping and shook her awake. “It’s Saturday, Mommy!” laughed her son. She honestly hadn’t seen him this happy in a while as he pounced on her.

She let out a wince from under his growing weight as he buried his face into her chest with another laugh. “Someone is happy today.” she chuckled as she wrapped her arms around his small frame.

Yoonsung lift his head from her body and laughed, again. “Today is Saturday.” he repeated, as a matter-of-fact.

“OK? And?” asked Inhye. She wasn’t sure where he was taking this conversation, but she had a feeling it had something to do with how they were going to hang out with Yoongi today. It had been an entire 4 weeks since Inhye had agreed to let Yoongi meet Yoonsung on a regular basis. She expected Yoonsung to be cold and closed off with him since that was how he usually was with strangers. However, their child had especially taken a liking to him, which was probably a good thing.

“I’m going to see Uncle Yoongi!” replied Yoonsung, with a big smile.

Inhye quickly hushed him, even though his grandmother was downstairs and preparing breakfast. “Remember what I told you about how you can’t talk about Uncle Yoongi around Grandma?” she asked him, in a whisper.

The boy’s smile fell into a small frown and nodded his head. He rested his head back down on her chest with a pout. “If I tell Grandma about Uncle Yoongi then she won’t let me play with him again.” he mumbled, softly.

Mrs. Shin knew nothing about the Saturdays Inhye and Yoonsung have been spending with Yoongi. She just thought that they’ve been bonding a lot over the last few weeks by doing activities outside of the house now that Yoonsung was on summer vacation. If she knew that Inhye was in any form of contact with Yoongi, she would kill her (in a pratical sense, of course). Mrs. Shin hated every fiber in Yoongi’s being, for “ruining” Inhye and for his lack of love and care towards Yoonsung ever since his birth. Although she may be glad that Yoongi was the one to reach out to Inhye about meeting their child, she would rather that Yoonsung never know him or his existence.

“Exactly. So, you need to be a good boy and don’t mention anything about him to your grandma.” stated Inhye. She was doing this for the good of Yoonsung and the last thing she needed was to hear an earful from her mother. She was just doing what she felt was right for her son.

“OK.” nodded the child, with a sullen expression colored onto his small face.

Inhye let out a long breath as she pushed away the long fringe that covered Yoonsung’s small eyes. It barely felt like yesterday when she first held her baby boy in her arms. He was so small that she wondered how long it would be before he could learn how to walk and talk. She was expecting herself to count down the days until her son would be big enough to be independent from her. Little did she expect that time was going to slip by without her notice because he was growing up all too quickly.

“Are you excited about going to Everland with Uncle Yoongi today?” asked Inhye as she patted his back.

Yoonsung pulled his head away from her chest again with a big smile at the mention of his Uncle Yoongi. “Yes.” he laughed, in a whisper. “Uncle Yoongi is so much fun.”

“Well, we both better go get ready for today, OK?” said Inhye, patting his back.

The mother and son eventually got up and headed to the bathroom. Yoonsung had woken Inhye 30 minutes well before her alarm was scheduled to go off and she wasn’t sure if that’s a blessing in disguise or not. She supposed she would just take the extra time to do her makeup, but she wasn’t sure if that would be a good idea or not when everything was just going to melt off in the humid summer of Korea.

Inhye quickly got Yoonsung ready. She always liked to pick out fashionable outfits for him whenever they go out. But, for today, she decided to go a simple look – a white loose tee that would be tucked into his blue jean shorts paired with a brown faux leather belt. After putting clothes on him, she pushed back his hair to put a snapback on his head. His hair was unkempt due to falling asleep with damp hair and Inhye was too lazy to deal with it this morning, despite having an extra 30 minutes to possibly work on it. When Inhye was done, she took a step back only to find the the smile on her lips crumble into a thin line. There Yoonsung was, standing in front of her, looking similar to the black haired 19-year-old Yoongi she had met many years ago with that cute gummy smile and that was bothering her. She quickly pulled the snapback off of her son’s head, not being able to handle the flood of memories filled with cheap alcohol, wet kisses, and rough with his father.

“Y-Yoonsung, go down stairs and eat breakfast.” fumbled Inhye, trying to smile at him.

The child, unaware of the emotional turmoil his mother was going through, continued flash that gummy smile at her. “OK, Mommy.” With that, Yoonsung ran out of his bed room and down the stairs.

Inhye continued to stand in the middle of her son’s room with pastel yellow walls, glow in the dark stars plastered on the ceiling, and toys littered here and there on the ground. There will be one day when he’s going to tell her that he no longer wants walls that looked like the color of the sun rays and starts to take down those stars from his ceiling. He will start to replace these toys with something else – stacks of video games or even music equipment like his father since he loves music so much. Yoonsung only continues to look more and more like Yoongi with each passing day, as if it was a physical reminder that he was the one person she had helplessly fallen in and out of love with years ago, and she wondered how she would handle it when the day came when he looked like a splitting image of his father.

Her heart was weak.

She knew that she wouldn’t be able to handle it when the time came.

 

 

“Sorry for being late.” stated Yoongi the moment she pulled the car door open. “Hey, Yoonsung.”

Inhye quickly ushered Yoonsung into the back of his father’s sleek, black BMW. “Hi, Uncle Yoongi.” said the boy, tiredly.

The soft hint of Yoongi’s cologne mixed with the stench of something else quickly wafted over her senses as she stepped into the car as well. “You’re always late, Yoongi.” she commented. They both exchanged a glare through the rearview mirror before he pulled the car away from the curb and they were on their way to Everland, which was located in the suburbs closer to Seongnam.

She heard him scoffed, as she fastened the seat belt around Yoonsung’s waist. “I told you that I had some work to do this morning.” he defended. She was working on her seat belt now and trying to ignore him. “Why do you think you were in Gangnam waiting for me?”

Inhye stared out the window, angry. “You’re acting as if you weren’t an entire hour late.” she stated, trying to control herself from yelling.

She turned back to glance at the way his fringe matted against his forehead. She noticed how the AC in the car was on full blast and she chuckled to herself. Although it may seem as if Yoongi was trying to cool down in the bustling, hot summer of the concrete jungle they were currently stuck in, she knew very well that wasn’t the case. The man was completely enveiled in the musk of and his cheeks were bright red from his post- glow. This damn bastard was ing his girlfriend right before the playdate he had set up today with his son and caused him to be a whole hour late.

If he was late by 15 or 30 minutes then she might have not been so upset, but they were an hour behind schedule. They wouldn’t get to the amusement park until another 45 minutes or another whole hour depending on how much Saturday mid-morning traffic there was. Yoonsung was already tired from the waiting in the café that they were j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter