Chapter 4

Skeletons in the Closet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“What are we doing here?” asked Hoseok, confused as they entered a children’s necessity store. “I thought you said you were here to grab something.” When Yoongi asked him to tag along to go grab something at Coex mall, he was expecting them to go to a huge public library that was located there and grab a book on music composition or music theories. That’s what the older man would like to do from time to time so he never thought much of it and agreed.

“I am.” replied Yoongi, briskly making his way past the kid’s clothes to the toys.

“You’re here to get a toy?” asked Hoseok, confused. “Are your cousins coming up to Seoul with their families?” He knew that his friend had a few older cousins that were married with children so maybe they were visiting Seoul. Yoongi’s not that close to them so Hoseok thought it was a little strange and out of character for him to be grabbing gifts for them.

The other man didn’t seem to hear his question as he gingerly grabbed a Transformer toy off of the shelf. He looked deep in thought as he stared at the toy in his hand. Hoseok could barely hear him mutter something about meeting a boy. “Hyung,” called out the younger man. “What did you say?”

This seemed to pull Yoongi back out from his mind as he shook his head. “What?” he asked Hoseok.

The younger man frowned at his friend. “Are you OK?” he confronted him seriously. He couldn’t hold it back anymore as he stared at Yoongi. It was as if the last 8 years they had known one another had gone down the drain and the man he called ‘Hyung’ was slowly becoming a stranger now. “You’ve been so out of it since our company party last month. It’s like you’re slowly shutting everyone that cares for you out or something.” Hoseok let out a long sigh. “And, now, you’re buying toys out of the blue? What’s going on?”

Yoongi looked at him, expressionless, as he listened to him ramble. His lack of reaction and unreadable eyes caused Hoseok to sweat a little. The older man wasn’t as easy to read at times, but his reactions are almost always predictable. He was a little worried that Yoongi may get upset or even angry at him for pointing these things out. Hoseok swallowed hard as he eyed his hyung.

Yoongi let out a long sigh as if he was trying to lift all the weight on his shoulders off. “Miyoung and I were here about a week ago and,” He paused abruptly. “And, I met the boy.”

Hoseok felt his brows furrowed as he stared into his best friend’s vast eyes. Even though his face may seem solemn and emotionless, his eyes betrayed him. They were colored with sadness, something that he had never personally seen crossed over Yoongi’s face before. Hoseok flashed him an alarmed look, unsure of what his statement meant.

“What do you mean?” he asked, confused.

His hyung let out a shutter as he quickly raked his hair through his midnight blue locks. “Hoseok,” he breathed, sharply. “I met Yoonsung.”

The younger man felt his mind start to spin as he let the statement settle into his brain. Yoonsung was that child that Yoongi’s ex-wife had given birth to. They were only married for about 2 years, but Hoseok heard it was crazy and chaotic from Yoongi’s end. The pair were buddies and she got pregnant from a careless night of a lot of booze and . Upon hearing the news of her pregnancy, their parents forced them to get married but that was all just for show. Their marriage was a façade to save the faces of their parents and that was it. Yoongi eventually began to hold grudges against his marriage, his ex-wife, and their child for many reasons and eventually threw the divorce papers in her face.

Ever since the kid was born, all Hoseok could remember Yoongi say to him was how much he regretted giving life to that son of his. He was young and felt like he shouldn’t be tied down to a child let alone a loveless marriage. Hoseok couldn’t blame him because he knew he’d feel the same too.

“What?” he asked the man, confused. “How did you meet Yoonsung here?”

“I-I came here with Miyoung last week to grab a few things for her sister’s baby shower and Inhye happened to be here with him too.” stammered Yoongi. “I was talking to him, but I didn’t realize who he was until Inhye called out for him. He-” For a moment, he paused. “Yoonsung is big now and he looks even more like me than he did when he was a baby. He knows how to play the piano and his birthday was last Saturday. His mom bought him-”

“Hyung.” interrupted Hoseok with wide eyes, as he quickly reached out between the space between them to take a hold of his shoulder.

It was clear that Yoongi was strangely choking over his feelings as he talked about his encounter with his son. Hoseok was surprised by how his friend was reacting because this was the least he’d expect from him. From what he knew, his hyung hated his son for trapping him in a useless first marriage and for making him throw away his budding popularity as an underground rapper. It was all too strange about how Yoongi suddenly so emotional about seeing his son again after all these years.

“You said that you never wanted to be a father.” stated Hoseok, softly. “Did you change your mind after seeing Yoonsung?”

Yoongi’s eyes softened as he began to blink. “That’s true. I did say that.” he whispered. “I actually don’t really know what I want to be, Hoseok.” He let out a long breath as he held tighter onto the toy. “I used to say that I wished he was never born, but I can’t bring myself to do that anymore. I don’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter