Chapter 25

Skeletons in the Closet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Inhye woke up with a start. Someone had let out a soft scream in the room. Both Hoseok and her have fallen asleep at Yoongi’s side, probably 2 to 3 hour at the most. Across from her, on the other side of the bed, Hoseok stirred awake as well.

Alarmed, Inhye quickly moved away from Yoongi as Mrs. Min suddenly approached the bed in a sobbing mess. “My baby.” she cried, cupping her son’s face delicately. “What happened?”

The Mins seemed to have arrived and their presence did nothing more than jolt Inhye fully awake. They looked distressed and completely in shock at how their loved one was in a much more serious state than expected. No one was paying attention to her and demanding to know why she was there, which was a goodthing. She should leave as soon as possible because the last thing she needed was to hear an earful just for being in the same room as them. As they were being distracted by Yoongi’s unconscious state, she quickly grabbed her coat and bag. In Hoseok’s groggy state, he noticed this and tried to stop her, but before he could the Mins turned angrily at him.

“Hoseok, why did you lie to us?” asked Mr. Min, infuriated. Despite being angry, he was keeping his voice low since they were in the ICU so his words came off as a venomous hiss.

“I only did that because I didn’t want Geumjae Hyung to recklessly drive here.” explained the man. “I’m sorry. I should have never done that, but I didn’t want anything to happen to any of you. You all need to be there for Yoongi Hyung too so I just didn’t want to…”

Inhye knew she was going to regret butting in, but she felt like she needed to. At least to help explain the situation. “Hoseok only did what he did to make sure you all would arrive here safely.” she defended him. “He didn’t lie to you with any ill intentions at all. He said that Yoongi was fine because he was worried about all of your safety since it was snowing all night last night and the driving conditions aren’t the best. Please try to understand where he was coming from.”

Mr. Min turned to glance at Inhye with utter disgust. “Why do you always show up when something bad happens to my son?” he angrily spat. “Why is it always you that is at his side when his life flips upside down like this?”

Before Inhye could respond, Mrs. Min spoke up. “That is always up to no good when it comes to our son!” she yelled, out loud.

“Mom, you need to calm down. We’re at the hospital. You can’t just-” reminded Yoongi’s older brother, worryingly. But, he was interrupted by a knock at the hospital room door.

“I’m so sorry to interrupt, but please try to your best to keep the noise level to a minimum since this is the ICU and we have a lot of sensitive patients in here.” piped up a nurse, at the door of Yoongi’s room. She seemed fairly upset, but was trying her best to as polite as she could. “If you need to discuss about something important, you are always welcome to discuss it outside of this area.”

“Sorry about that,” quickly apologized Geumjae, the brother. “We’ll definitely keep that in mind in the future.”

“Yes, of course.” nodded the nurse. “If you need anything, just give us a ring, alright?”

“Of course, of course.” nodded Geumjae.

The nurse briskly walked away, as Yoongi’s older brother turned to look at his mom with a huff. She frowned at him and then stared straight at Inhye. “Leave.” muttered the older woman.

Mrs. Min dismissed Inhye as if she was a child and this made her upset. She knew she shouldn’t have felt that way, but she couldn’t help herself. The Mins had always been rude to her and she shouldn’t have expected anything less even in this crisis. Without another word, Inhye left the room. She knew that the moment she stepped out of that hospital room would probably be the last time she’d see Yoongi in a very long time. So, without another thought, she looked over her shoulder to glance at her ex-husband and the father of her son. She bid in a silent good bye with a heavy heart.

 

 

She was greeted at the front door by Yoonsung, unexpectedly. “Mommy, where did you go this morning?” asked the boy, innocently. “I was worried about you.” Inhye had texted her mom about what happened, but she had assumed that Yoonsung still knew nothing about what had happened to Yoongi.

The mother stood there, dumbstruck, unable to say anything. How could she say anything to her son at all? Your dad was in an accident. He was badly injured and is at the hospital right now. She couldn’t bring herself to utter those words to him. Inhye had been a bad mother, by keeping him away from his father all this time, and now she couldn’t possibly bring herself to tell him this.

Yoonsung loves Yoongi. It’d break the boy’s heart to know that something bad had happened to his dad. He’d start crying and demand Inhye to take him to see his father right then and there. But, children aren’t allowed in the ICU so he’d be even more upset about this whole ordeal. Inhye took a moment and let out a long sigh. She’d have to ask Hoseok to give her updates since Yoongi should be transferred to a normal room soon. Maybe she would tell Yoonsung then so he’d at least be able to see his father and wouldn’t have to wait around.

“I went to see your dad.” Inhye replied, finally stepping into their home. She couldn’t lie to him, but she couldn’t tell him the truth either.

“Daddy?” piped up Yoonsung, curiously.

Inhye didn’t respond until after she closed the door behind her. “Yes, your dad.” she mumbled. She kept her eyes on the ground as she toed off her shoes and slipping into the house slippers that awaited her. She couldn’t keep eye contact with her son. She couldn’t stare into those curious, brown eyes that were oh too similar to his father’s. The weight of the guilt of almost taking Yoongi away sat heavily on her shoulders.

“Why?” From the corner of her eyes, she could see her questioning son tilt his head to the side.

“To talk about you… About how good of a boy you’ve been, how big you are now, and how you can see him on Saturdays again.” lied Inhye, softly.

She watched as her son’s face immediately lit up with the utmost happiness. “Really?” asked Yoonsung, excitedly. Before Inhye could respond to him, he attacked her with the biggest hug. Inhye stumbled a step back from the force of his growing strength with a soft laugh. He truly was a growing boy and it wouldn’t be long before he would be bigger than her in size and tower over her with a deep voice.

With a soft giggle, Yoonsung buried his face into her lower stomach. “Thank you, Mommy.”

Inhye lightly patted his back. “Have you practiced playing piano yet?” she asked.

His Saturdays now consisted of him practicing the piano and a few hours at the park. Now that it was colder, Yoonsung spends most of his time inside. He often read or kept himself busy by playing by himself or watched cartoons on TV. Meeting up with Yoongi would easily fit into their Saturdays like before and everything would just fall into place again. At least that was what Inhye would like and desperately hope it would.

“No, but I will start now!” answered Yoonsung. He quickly pulled away from the hug and ran to the book shelf to gather his music book. Within moments, he was warming up his hands by playing one of the scales his piano teacher taught him.

“Yoonsung.” called out Inhye.

“Hm?” he responded, looking over his shoulder.

For a spilt second, he looked like Yoongi with tousled hair and curious, pouty lips. Yoonsung looked exactly like the black haired, boyish Min Yoongi that Inhye once knew. The child looked like that same boy that had once stolen her breath, given her a child, and still had her heart. Inhye blinked quickly, feeling that familiar burn behind her eyes and that ache in her chest.

“I’m going to go nap for a bit, alright? Why don’t you play something nice for me to sleep to when you’re done warming up?” she asked her son.

“OK!” he excitedly nodded his head. “Uncle Hoseok gave me something new to practice with so I’ll play you that.”

“Hoseok did?” she asked, surprised. “Well, that’s awfully nice of him.”

“Mommy, I’ll make sure to play it well. OK?” nodded Yoonsung, happily.

Inhye nodded softly with a gentle smile. “I’m going to head upstairs. Behave yourself.” she said, fully aware that her mother wasn’t downstairs.

Mrs. Shin would usually be at the pharmacy, but today seemed to be an exception. She had simply replied over text that she’d be home with Yoonsung when Inhye texted her about what had happened. She told Inhye to come home from the hospital whenever she could. Inhye trudged upstairs to her room and noticed that the shattered glass cup had now been cleaned up. It was probably Mrs. Shin that took care of it when she noticed her daughter hadn’t risen up for the day.

“You’re home.” simply stated Inhye’s mother, from the hallway as she came out of her bedroom. Inhye was in the process of taking off her huge coat and her mother had stepped into her room to help her.

“Yeah.” sighed Inhye, heavily.

There was a moment of silence before Mrs. Shin said anything. After helping Inhye take off her coat and hanging it on the coat hanger by her bedroom door, she closed the it as Yoonsung began to play a piano piece that Inhye wasn’t familiar with. It didn’t sound like a classical children’s nursey rhyme. Instead, it sounded fairly modern. Was this the set of music sheets Hoseok had given him?

“How is Yoongi?” asked Mrs. Shin. From the pursed lips and knotted brows, she seemed to have been worried about him as well.

Inhye choked. “He’s fine now.” she answered, with burning eyes. “He’s doing much better and his family is in Seoul with him now.”

Knowing what this meant, Mrs. Shin let out a long sigh. “Oh, Sweetie.” she uttered. She held out her arms and quickly embraced Inhye.

The younger woman let out a half sob half cry into her mother’s shoulder. “I can’t tell Yoonsung what happened. He’s going to be so sad.” she cried. “He’s going to want to see his dad and I don’t think the Mins are going to let us see him. Yoonsung is going to be so devastated, Mom. I don’t know what to do. What if they won’t let him see Yoongi?”

Mrs. Shin lightly patted Inhye’s shoulder. “Knowing how cruel that family is, they probably won’t bat an eye even if you went and begged them.” she stated. She let out a long breath. “I’m glad to hear he’s doing better though. The scariest part is over.”

“B-But,” started Inhye, pulling away from her mother’s warmth. “What if Y-Yoongi doesn’t wake up? Even the doctors aren’t sure when he’ll wake up from his unconsciousness. We’re still not over the hill yet, Mom.”

Mrs. Shin stared back into Inhye’s worried, dark orbs. “He will. I know he will. He loves the both of you enough to come back.” she claimed.

“The b-both of us?” questioned Inhye, confused.

Mrs. Shin blinked slowly. “Both you and Yoonsung.” she said, gently. “Yoongi loves you both.”

“Mom, don’t say that sort of nonsense.” stated Inhye, shaking her head. She walked away from her mom to sit on the edge of her bed. Oh, how she wanted to sleep so badly right now. Yoonsung was playing an incredibly simple but comforting piano piece to soothe her and lull her to sleep. All she wanted to do now was nothing but sleep and wake up out of this nightmare.

“Fine, but I know that Yoongi cares enough for you too.” continued Mrs. Shin. “It’s not a romantic type of love, but it is platonic enough for me to know that he cares for you too.”

“He only cares about me because I’m the mother of his child.” Inhye muttered, staring down at her slippers. If it wasn’t for Yoonsung, then he would’ve forgotten her long, long ago and anyone would’ve been sure of that. “I guess I should be grateful for that, even if I never asked for it.”

Mrs. Shin didn’t say anything in response. At least Inhye thought that she couldn’t. Instead, her mother just replied with, “You should get some rest, Sweetie.”

With her mother out of the room, Inhye slipped out of her clothes and into some comfy pajamas. She laid in bed, under her warm covers, and stared up at the ceiling. Now that she was alone, she couldn’t fall asleep. The tears continued to sting behind her eyes as she tried to keep them there. All she wanted was for Yoongi to wake up soon so she’d know that he was really alright. But, what were the chances? Now that the Mins were in the city, they’d never let her go and see him either. She couldn’t tell Yoonsung what happened either because that would only make him worry and that’s the last thing any child really needed, especially when he would want to see his father. Her heart ached in various ways and weighed heavily in her chest as she cried herself asleep to the calming notes Yoonsung kept playing away.

 

 

Inhye bit on her bottom lip as she dialed Hoseok. The ringing sound of the call was making her anxious as she waited for him to pick up the call. Soon enough, he answered. “Hey, Noona.” he breathed into the receiver, huskily.

“How’s Yoongi doing today?” she asked, as a gust of icy wind blew straight in her direction.

She was on the balcony of company lounge room at work on her afternoon break. She was honestly the only one crazy enough to be out there, but that was because there was absolutely nowhere for her to get privacy in at her damned workplace. She couldn’t talk comfortably in the bathroom because anyone could be listening and no one needed to know about her personal business.

Hoseok didn’t respond for a good minute. “He’s still unconscious.” muttered the man. Inhye could literally hear his frown through the ph

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter