Chapter 23

Skeletons in the Closet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Inhye lightly dusted off the freshly fallen snow off of her head and shoulders as she stepped into the bar. Her coworker had set her up on another blind date with a friend of a friend. It went well, but the guy was so standoff-ish and self-centered that she wasn’t going to go on another date with him ever. He got her so riled up that she needed get a drink before heading home to relieve her dissatisfaction of tonight’s date.

 

“May I please get a whiskey sour?” she asked one of the bartender, who was a man around her age and decently cute.

 

“Coming right up.” he smiled at her, as he obviously eyed from head to waist.

 

“Thank you.” She smiled back and coyly ran one of her hands through her hair to push back the hair in her face.

 

“A whiskey sour, huh?” asked a familiar voice, making her jump. She glanced to her side and, low and behold, her ex-husband was sitting there sipping a drink. Inhye rolled her eyes. “Seems like your drink preferences hasn’t changed.”

 

Well, of course. She loved whiskey and was even the one that introduced it to him. One time, she got a bottle of bourbon and they drank shots of it every time before for an entire week. “And, I see you haven’t changed your preferences either.” Inhye said, eyeing the whiskey on the rocks in his hand. It seemed like he have been there for a while since he was almost done with his drink. “Why are you here?”

 

Yoongi scoffed with a crooked smirk. “I should be the one asking you that.” he retorted.

 

Before she could even roll her eyes, the bartender came back with her drink. Inhye tried to fish out her debit card, but Yoongi got it before she could. “It’s on me.” he smiled at her. He turned to the bartender. “A closed tab please.”

 

Once the guy was out of ear shot to run Yoongi’s card, she scoffed. “You ing .” she muttered. She took a long sip of her freshly made drink.

 

Yoongi laughed. “You like that guy?” he questioned, finishing the last bit of his drink.

 

“Well, yeah. He’s cute.” Inhye hissed. “I could’ve scored a date with him if I got his number, but no. You just had to pay for my drink and he probably thinks we’re together now.”

 

“The least you could say was a simple ‘thank you,’ but you’re just over here ing about how you’re not getting .” Yoongi shook his head.

 

“ you. I said dates, not-” Inhye started, but stopped mid-sentence when the bartender suddenly came back.

 

“You think my friend’s hot?” asked Yoongi, gesturing to his ex-wife, when the guy handed him the receipt for him to sign.

 

The bartender was a taken back for a moment. The question was so upfront that he had to process it for a bit and then smiled at Inhye. “Of course.” He slyly bit his bottom lip for a second. “I’m Lee Euntae, by the way.”

 

“I-I’m Shin Inhye.” she meekly responded back.

 

Inhye was so embarrassed over this whole ordeal that her hands were shaking when Yoongi essentially forced the bartender give him her number. She was trying to play it cool, but it was clear over how shaken up she was when she handed her phone to the cute guy. He seemed to have paid no mind to that as he took her phone and held her shaking hands in his for a moment too long.

 

“What are you waiting for? Type in your darn number.” commanded Yoongi, signing on the reciept. “You two can do this lovey dovey another time when you’re alone and not on the job or trying to get faced.”

 

Inhye was ready to smack Yoongi across the face, but had to hold herself back because the last thing she needed tonight was to make this night worse. Instead, she smiled apologetically at Euntae. He smiled back, being understanding.

 

“We’ll talk more later then.” he said, with his voice dripping in honey. He handed Inhye’s phone back to her, making sure their hands touched again.

 

Inhye couldn’t help, but let out a giddy laugh. “Sure.” she nodded. The bartender sent her one last dashing grin before he left and leaving her in a smiling mess. She excitedly tucked away her phone into her purse, just to make sure she wouldn’t leave it behind.

 

“You know, you can thank me now.” Yoongi’s comment reminded her that she wasn’t there alone like the usual. She had unexpected and unwanted company.

 

“I didn’t need your help. I would’ve done perfectly fine on my own.” stated Inhye, sipping on her drink.

 

In all honesty, she wasn’t even really planning on asking out that guy. But, Yoongi had to force her into getting his number. For whatever reason, her ex-husband was so damn demanding tonight and it was annoying her a bit.

 

“You can thank me by eating jjajjangmyeon with me.” suggested Yoongi.

 

Inhye grimaced as she dug into her purse and pulled out her wallet. She placed a 10,000 won bill on the bar countertop and passed it to him. “I’m not going to eat that with you.” she stated, before downing her drink.

 

“Awww,” pouted Yoongi. “Why?”

 

“Because I don’t want to.” she answered, seriously.

 

Yoongi blinked. “You must hate jjajjangmyeon a lot to be so angry about me asking you to eat it with me. I never knew. I just thought that you liked it because you used to crave it so much when you were pregnant with Yoonsung that you’d eat it all the time.” he explained, rubbing the back of his neck.

 

Inhye rolled her eyes. “That’s exactly why! I ate so much of that dish when I was pregnant with our kid that I’m pretty sure I had a whole entire lifetime’s worth of it in those few months.”

 

Yoongi’s eyebrows shot up and then he smiled at her. “Fine. Fine. Just be in my company as I eat dinner then. I’ll take it as a token of appreciation.” he said, with a nod.

 

“Why?” asked Inhye, immediately. “You can’t ever eat alone or something?” He was like this before too, asking her to eat dinner with him at a restaurant last year because no one else could.

 

“No,” laughed Yoongi. “I just want company when I eat because I’m always alone. Do you know how many hours I spend alone in my studio? It’s nice to have social interactions every now and then.”

 

“Go talk to Hoseok then!” retorted Inhye, with a scoff.

 

“He’s busy too!” replied Yoongi. He, then, let out a long huff. “Talking to you right now has probably been the longest human interaction I’ve had all day to be honest.”

 

Inhye stared at Yoongi for a moment as he busied himself by playing with the melting ice in his glass. She hated to say this, but she’d never thought that she’d see the lonely side of Min Yoongi ever. He had never been much of a person to care about consistent social interactions or parties or outings. He’s a quiet person who loves quiet places. So, being lonely wasn’t something she’d expect to hear him talk about. Then, again, he was living alone and his only really good friend was Hoseok and he was no longer in a relationship. To top it off, he was also no longer seeing their son on Saturdays. It all sort of made sense as to where his loneliness was stemming from and maybe Yoongi was actually much lonelier than he ever played off.

 

Inhye let out a tired, long sigh. “Fine. I’ll be in your company while you eat dinner then.”

 

 

She glared into the space of Yoongi’s studio, whole heartedly regretting about agreeing to be in his company. “Did you have to order the chicken too?” she asked, as she turned to glanced down at the bucket fried chicken her ex-husband ordered along with the jjajjangmyeon.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter