Chapter 27

Skeletons in the Closet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hoseok watched as he saw the way Yoongi looked at his mother. His friend was raging with the utmost anger and the only thing that was running through Hoseok’s veins was fear. Not for himself, but for Mrs. Min.

 

“I WANT TO SEE MY WIFE.” yelled Yoongi, with dark glaring eyes at his mother.

 

“WHAT WIFE?” retorted Mrs. Min, angry. She was at his side, with a plastic container of kimchi. The Mins had been staying at Yoongi’s during their stay in Seoul and she had brought some homemade food for him today. “You two aren’t married anymore. Stop calling her that.”

 

Yoongi’s face twisted, full of frustration and rage. He immediately grab the bowl of warm juk his mother had just poured out. It was sitting on the bedside table by his side. Before Hoseok could even stop the man, he flung the bowl and his mother’s hard work went splattering against the wall across from them with a loud, thundering bang.

 

“I told you not to bring any of that crap, didn’t I?” hissed Yoongi to his frightened, shaking mother. “Now, leave.” Without another word, Mrs. Min quickly stumbled her way out of the room.

 

Hoseok only continued to stare at his good friend with shaking hands. Not only does Min Yoongi no longer look like the person he used to be with his stubble and thinning body, he was also no longer the same mentally. He just haven’t been the same since he woke up and no one knew what to make of it. The Min family had even requested for an MRI scan on his brain for possible damage, which was only done after a heated argument, and the results came back negative. There were absolutely nothing wrong with Yoongi’s brain, but he was almost a completely different person.

 

The greatest and most prominent change was how he kept referring Inhye as his ‘wife.’ From the moment he woke up to now, he had wanted to see her. But, with the Min family being the way they are, they refused. Unfortunately, this had only caused Yoongi to have an unbelievable violent rage. His mother’s presence triggered it the most considering she was the most vocal about the she believed Inhye to be. Aside from Mrs. Min visiting Yoongi today, his father and brother did not. Hoseok knew too well that it all had to do with the spiteful words Yoongi would throw at them too once he saw them.

 

Even with all the rage and anger, the Min family still refused to let him see Inhye.

 

So, Yoongi decided to go on a hunger strike and this had done nothing but stress everyone out more. At least he was willing to drink water or tea, but that was the extent of his intake. Hoseok wasn’t sure how his attending doctor and nurses reacted to this, but he could only assume they were stressed about the situation considering Yoongi’s battered condition. He gingerly walked away from where he had stood and took long strides across the room to clean up the mess Yoongi caused. This was the first time Hoseok had seen Yoongi in the last 3 days due to his piling work load and, to his dismay, his older friend was becoming more and more thin.

 

Yoongi’s hunger strike haven’t even reached a week yet, but it was clear that his body wasn’t up for it. It needed all the nutrition to recover from the lung surgery and broken bones he currently had. He needed to eat and the last thing Hoseok was going to let happen was have his friend starve to death just because his family was being stupid.

 

“I’m-”

 

“Hoseok-”

 

The two friends both in unison, causing the younger one to turn to him. “Hyung, what’s up? Did you need something?” he asked.

 

“My family won’t give me my phone so I was wondering if you could call Inhye for me. I want to see her.” said Yoongi, softly. His eyes were gentle and pleading. He clearly and desperately wanted to see Inhye.

 

Hoseok blinked. He was actually going to go ahead and do that for Yoongi, without the man asking for it. All this stupid fuss of trying to keep Yoongi away from her is causing nothing but more harm. To top it off, Yoongi is a fully grown man and his family should respect that even if they think it’s a stupid idea. Their son wasn’t clearly in his right mind. If Inhye’s presence could help control the situation, then that was better than having Yoongi starve himself to death.

 

Hoseok flashed his friend his usual bright smile and then glanced out the window, over looking the bright day that laid before them.. “She’ll be here soon. I can guarantee you that, Hyung.” he reassured.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inhye’s hands were violently shaking as she stepped off of the elevator onto the 4thfloor of the hospital. She had received a single text message from Hoseok, asking her to stop by the hospital when she could after work. It was barely mid-day and she was in the middle of a meeting when she received that. She couldn’t wait until after work so she excused herself from that very meeting, saying that there was a family emergency and it was. Well, practically. Yoongi was family to some degree. He was the father of her child and ex-husband after all.

 

As she walked towards the direction of Yoongi’s room, she balled up her shaking hands into fists so tight that she could feel her nails break the skin of her palms. Her heavy heart was so relieved to hear about him waking up from his coma thanks to Hoseok. As much as she wanted to see him, she knew she couldn’t because she already knew that his family would be against it. But, now that Hoseok had beckoned her to go see him, she was shaking.

 

Yoongi could’ve died.

 

But, he didn’t.

 

All these sorts of emotions were bubbling up in her as she finally approached the closed door to his room. When she released her white fists to open the door handle, the blood on her nails and sting of her self-inflicted wounds were evident but that wasn’t the reason why she didn’t open the door right away. She just wasn’t ready to see him yet. She had wanted to see him this whole entire week since he woke up, but now she was chickening out. She suddenly didn’t know how she’d react or what to even say to him.

 

Without another thought, she twisted the handle and opened the door to see a very surprised Hoseok sitting in a chair at the hospital bedside. Upon seeing Inhye, he stood up. She glanced at him and the man flashed a quick smile before excusing himself and leaving the room. Inhye finally glanced at the person she had been wanting to see. Min Yoongi, himself, sitting up in his bed with wide eyes and parted lips. She could only assume that a gasp may have slipped through them when she opened the door.

 

Before Inhye could register anything, she had already stalked over to Yoongi with tears blinding her vision and throwing her arms around him. All the emotions that were building up in her before she came into the room had dispersed and the only true feeling that was left in its wake was relief. She started to sob into his shoulder as he held her tightly against his chest.

 

“I was so worried.” she muttered, through her cries.

 

She could feel the shakiness of Yoongi’s chest as he let out a sigh into her shoulder. “I’m sorry.” he said, with a little sniff. His big, warm hand rubbed circles into the small of her back, calming her down. “I’m sorry for putting you through-”

 

“Why are you apologizing?” asked Inhye, pulling away from their hug. She blinked her tears away to observe his face. He looked weathered and thin and she couldn’t help but frown even more. She waited for him to respond, but he never did.

 

Instead, he just leaned across the way and placed his lips against hers. The kiss was very sudden and firm and she just froze in place. Despite her lack of response, Yoongi continued anyways. He trailed butterfly kisses down to the nape of her neck and his touches soon began to feel all too much. The room quickly heated up and Inhye immediately placed her hands on his chest.

 

“No.” she muttered too loudly as she pushed poor Yoongi away. She looked at him, as he stared back with hurt eyes. She didn’t know what was going on, but it wasn’t like him to throw himself at her like this. Never in all the times that they’ve interacted had Yoongi impulsively kissed her or touched her in such a way. The man’s mouth was agape, about to say something when she interrupted him. “Yoongi, it’s just that I–”

 

She reached out to touch his shoulder with her shaking hand when he reached up to take it in both of his. He smoothed out her tiny, cold hand in his big, warm ones, trying his best to warm hers up. She watched as he let out a single, heavy sigh after observing the self-inflicted wounds her nails had left indented into her palm. “You know I’ll never hurt you, right?” he said, almost too softly. He continued to stare down at her hand, now holding it as gently as he could.

 

A single, sharp pang shot through her chest like a bullet claiming its victim. This familiar feeling, this familiar pain, was once one of Inhye’s only friends during her dark days in Daegu. This was a good, old friend that lingered in the depths of Inhye’s lonely heart that knew all too well of Yoongi’s doings and it arose from the ashes Inhye had buried deep in her memories. This pain opened the woman’s mouth and uttered out the one truth that the both of them knew from the deepest and darkest cervices of Inhye’s heart. “But, you already did.”

 

Min Yoongi was single handily the one man that had hurt her the most in all these years. It was no brainer. She didn’t leave their relationship unscathed. He had truly left his mark on her and she was never the same, even after all of these years. At least he already genuinely apologized and Inhye didn’t cry this time around.

 

An emotion of much sadness immediately washed over Yoongi’s face. His eyes became glassy as he looked back at Inhye. “If you could go back in time and change everything so you and I would never meet, would you?” His eyes were wielding up with tears and all Inhye could do was stare back in confusion.

 

Why would he ever look at her with such b sadness and tearful eyes and ask her such a strange question?

 

“Of course.” she soon answered. “Our relationship wasn’t even one bit of conventional and neither was our marriage. Even if it means that Yoonsung would never be born, it’s OK because he never deserved ty parents like us anyways. He had always deserved a better mother and father. At the very least, he deserved to be the product of love instead of some childish buddy relationship. So, if I could, I would absolutely change everything.”

 

In response to her, Yoongi blinked, and his tears came rolling down his cheeks like waterfalls. “I miss Inhye.” he said, through a soft sob.

 

“But, I’m right here.” she responded, utterly confused.

 

Yoongi turned to her, with red tearstained eyes. His hand reached out to touch her face and, just as Inhye was gracing the fact of his fingertips were going to brush up against her skin and possibly drawing a trail of fire in their wake, his hand stopped mere millimeters away from her skin. “I missed you too.” he whispered as the warmth of his fingertips ghost over the skin of her cheeks, particularly over the high point of her cheekbone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inhye anxiously bit on her lower lip as she watched the way Hoseok frowned. The two of them were standing in the hallway as the nurses came by to check on Yoongi’s vitals. The pair made an excuse about giving Yoongi some privacy. Instead of exchanging texts here and there, she needed to talk out loud with him because Yoongi just wasn’t Yoongi.

 

“Has he been babbling about all these strange things ever since he woke up?” asked Inhye in a hushed whisper, worried.

 

Hoseok let out a long sigh. “He has.” muttered the man. “He keeps asking to see you and keeps calling you his wife so his family asked for a CT scan on his brain.”

 

Inhye felt her heart drop, expecting only to hear the worst. “And?” she urged Hoseok to continue.

 

The man shook his head. “There’s nothing wrong with him, which is great. But…” trailed off Hoseok. “If Hyung wasn’t the same man before, then he’s a completely different man now. There’s no medical reasoning behind why he’s the way he is.”

 

Inhye couldn’t say anything comforting in response because there wasn’t really anything that could be said or done. This whole situation was very strange and Yoongi’s behavior made no sense. There were times where he was his usual self and then he would suddenly make a strange off handed comment that just wasn’t apart of reality. Like how he’d say something about the bad cough Yoonsung supposedly had or the sound of a crying baby girl named Yoona. If Hoseok wasn’t there, Inhye would admit that Yoongi’s babbling would be somewhat eerie.

 

“I’m all done now.” announces the nurse as she stepped out of Yoongi’s room, with a warm smile on her face. “By the way, Mrs. Min, I believe it has been some time since your husband has last gotten a sponge bath so he should get another one today. Did you want me to grab you some extra care products for his bath for you right now?”

 

Inhye became so flustered. “S-Sure” was all that she was able to mumble to the nurse before running into Yoongi’s room with Hoseok behind her.

 

Her ex-husband bid her a small hello but she ignored him. She did not sign up to be his personal sponge bather when she decided to come to the hospital. She wasn’t there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter