Chapter 14

Skeletons in the Closet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

He was at a funeral hall, for whatever reason, with an unbearably heavy heart. There were people here and there, but not many were present outside of it. He stared at the placard that was pasted in front of the hall and his heart dropped. On there, it said: Funeral procession for Shin Inhye along with a beautifully taken picture of her, smiling into the camera. In utter disbelief, Yoongi stepped in. He could feel himself biting down on his bottom lip, to keep it from quivering, as his eyes started to burn. He could hear the cries of her mother and their young son, Yoonsung, throughout the hall. The closer he came up to the altar where the older woman and the child was kneeling on the ground, the more intense his sadness became. He just couldn’t believe that Inhye was now gone.

“Yoonsung.” called out Yoongi, with a hoarse voice.

“Daddy.” replied the child, looking up at him and quickly getting to his feet. He ran to his father and wrapped his arms around his legs and began to sob. “Daddy, please bring mommy back. Please bring-”

“Hyung!” called out Hoseok, pulling Yoongi out of his nightmare. The older man stirred on the sofa as the younger one past walked by. “Sorry, Hyung. I didn’t realize you were asleep. Wait – are you crying?”

“No, it’s OK.” Yoongi muttered, as he shook his head. His hand quickly came up to wipe his tears away. Apparently, he was actually crying when he wouldn’t even let himself cry in his dream. “I was having a bad dream anyways.” He noticed Hoseok’s worried, but questioning gaze from the small water dispenser at the door of his studio. “I dreamt that I was at Inhye’s funeral.”

“What?” asked the friend, alarmed. He almost dropped his water bottle.

Yoongi slowly sat up and met Hoseok’s big, surprised eyes. “I-I don’t know why, but I dreamt that Inhye passed away. I was at a funeral hall and her mom and Yoonsung were there… When he saw me, he called me ‘Daddy’ and he was telling me to bring Inhye back. He was crying really hard.”

The other man frowned. “Maybe it means the opposite?” he suggested. “That instead of dying, she’s well and continues to live a good life?”

“I don’t know.” breathed Yoongi. “But, it makes me worry about her and what can happen.”

“I don’t think you should think too much about it, Hyung.” reassured Hoseok. “I’m sure she’s OK.”

Yoongi grimaced. “I sure hope so.” He didn’t want to say anything that could probably hint the fact that Inhye wasn’t doing too well or his friend may possibly start questioning what happened to her. The last thing he wanted would be for him to slip and tell Hoseok that Inhye was ually assaulted, not just by anyone, but by some rich Korean American business man. This was a secret he was intending to never tell his best friend unless if anything happened and he absolutely needed to. “I have never been so overwhelmed with such sadness and grief before let alone in a dream. It was so weird.”

“Hyung, maybe you’re starting to care for Inhye Noona more than you think.” suggested Hoseok, as he made his way back to his desk where he was previously working at. “I didn’t mention this on Saturday since I left right after we had lunch, but you, Yoonsung, and Inhye Noona really looked like a really cozy little family when I saw you all together.”

Yoongi felt his face scrunch up. “What do you mean?”

“I don’t know.” shrugged Hoseok. “You two just seemed so much like a married couple on Saturday, bickering playfully with one another and loving Yoonsung together... I get that she and Yoonsung don’t live with you, but it felt like they just perfectly fit into your home when they arrived. It was as if you two were never divorced and I came to visit you and your family.”

“Maybe you just feel that way because Inhye and I have a kid together.” shrugged Yoongi.

“Yoonsung does have to do with some part of it but,” muttered Hoseok. “I never expected you to be so sweet to Inhye Noona by letting her nap on your bed and making sure she ate a lot even though she didn’t have an appetite. Hyung, I’d never thought I’d ever say this, but you’d be the perfect husband.”

“Are you trying to confess your undying love for me and propose to me or what?” scoffed Yoongi.

“Was it what Noona said to you on Friday night that made you consider being nicer to her?” asked Hoseok, with a smile. Yoongi didn’t answer his question, unable to say ‘yes,’ because he had been denying that that was exactly why he started to be nicer to her. “It sounds like she’s been through a lot by raising Yoonsung alone. It’s a good thing that you decided to reach out to her and be apart of his life so then you can at least take some part of the responsibilities as well too.”

“I want to, but I don’t know if Inhye would let me.” confessed the older man. “But, it’s not just Inhye though. I don’t know how Miyoung would react if I did. She’s been so apprehensive about the fact that Inhye is in my life again that it’s been driving me somewhat crazy.”

“Does she know that Inhye and Yoonsung came to your home?” questioned Hoseok.

“Of ing course not.” replied Yoongi, with a sigh. “If she knew, then she’d be against it and complain. Not that that would stop me from letting my son and ex-wife into my house, but her nagging would definitely piss me off.”

“Why is Miyoung so insecure of her?” stated Hoseok. “It’s not like that Inhye’s trying to get into your pants or anything. In fact, I don’t think she gives a single about you. The only man she cares about is her son.”

Yoongi scoffed. “Don’t you remember? Inhye and I kissed, . My girlfriend has every right to be worried.”

“Maybe if you didn’t kiss her back then there wouldn’t be anything to worry about.” suggested Hoseok, pointing out the obvious. “Maybe Miyoung isn’t really worried about Inhye, but is actually worried about you.” He looked directly at Yoongi this time. “You’re talking less and less about how you hate Inhye and about Miyoung all together. Instead, you’re bringing up about Yoonsung and your Saturdays with him and his mom more often these days.”

He couldn’t say anything to defend himself as he tore his gaze away from his best friend. What could he really say? He didn’t want to admit it, but the truth was staring at him straight in the eyes. His priorities have definitely changed after he decided to be apart of Yoonsung’s life again and it was simple as that. Anything and everything about Yoonsung slowly became the focus of his energy and attention and there was no denying that. His son was important to him, but so was Miyoung.

“Just because I hardly talk about my girlfriend as much now doesn’t mean I love her any less.” muttered Yoongi. “Sure, I haven’t seen her in a week or so and only talk to her for a few minutes on the phone each day, but I still care and want to be with her nonetheless.”

“But, does she know that?” wondered Hoseok.

“Technically, she should. I told her that I’d like to marry her one day when I’m ready and all. If that’s not a sign of my love for her then I don’t know what is.” replied the older man.

“If you’re going to marry her then she’s going to have to accept the fact that both Yoonsung and Inhye are going to be in your life, whether she likes it or not. Inhye is the mother of your child and, no matter how jealous she is, there’s nothing she can do about that fact.” sighed the other man. “You’re also going to have to accept the fact that Yoonsung may possibly call another man ‘Daddy’ too, if Inhye ever remarries. Are you OK with that?”

“If she remarries then she remarries.” shrugged Yoongi. “Who am I to interfere with that?”

He noticed the way Hoseok’s eyes narrowed at him. “Hyung, I’ve been meaning to ask you this and I really hope that it doesn’t come off the wrong way, but… Why did you kiss Inhye Noona back when she kissed you?” the man stated. “You pushed her away during all the times when she tried to kiss you on the cheeks, but you actually let her kiss you on the lips. I think you really are starting to care for Inhye Noona more than you lead on. I honestly thought that maybe you were just tired and slightly buzzed from the beer so that’s why you kissed her back that night, but now that I’ve seen how you treat her in your own home, I’m convinced that you actually do care about her.”

Yoongi blinked, not even sure how he should respond to this specific monologue from Hoseok because what could he really say? He didn’t even realize that he had been nibbling on the nail of his thumb until he opened his mouth to speak up. “I-I think I’m going to have to leave.” he heard himself muttered. Before he knew it, he had bolted out of Hoseok’s studio and down the hall to the comfort of his own.

The last thing he heard was his friend calling out “Hyung” after him.

 

 

He immediately noticed Inhye the moment he walked into the restaurant around 8 pm later that day. He was grabbing dinner around his usual dinner time at one of the restaurants in Gangnam. It was a smaller place, but their food was really good and was well known for their black pork bibimbaps. Not just that, but he enjoyed going there often. He was a regular customer and the owners knew him well. At times, he and the artists he collaborated with would go there at a later time to grab a meal before recording into the night. He stood there for a moment, a bit surprised. He didn’t know that Inhye knew about this restaurant since it was secluded and hard to get to. But, he knew that her office was in the Gangnam area so maybe she found out about the place from one of her coworkers. She didn’t notice him since she was so absorbed into the papers she was reading.

“Yoongi-ya.” laughed the aunt that looked over the restaurant. Her booming voice immediately grabbed Inhye’s attention. “You dyed your hair back to black!”

“Yeah, I did.” He laughed, as he watched as his ex-wife’s jaw dropped.

“Sit anywhere you like, OK?” said the aunt.

Yoongi watched Inhye in amusement as he chose to sit at her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter