Chapter 22

Skeletons in the Closet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Yoongi let out a long huff after setting Inhye down on his bed.  She mumbled some incoherent words along with his name into one of his pillows with her eyes closed.  Now, he took his turn to roll his eyes at her.  She was truly testing him tonight, especially after how he had warned her about drinking too much.  If she did wake up tomorrow and complained about how he had taken her home, then it really wasn’t his fault. 

He motioned to take off her heels since he didn’t get the chance to do that when they got into his home.  Inhye was muttering about going home when they arrived, despite passing out in the cab on their way here, and he needed to quickly lay her down before she had the chance to run out the door.

Upon slipping off her heels, Yoongi’s eyes widen at the dried blood he saw on the back of her shoe and feet.  Was Inhye in pain this whole time?  She sure didn’t act like she was as she pranced outside the restaurant in her drunken state, while they waited for a cab.  Yoongi frowned, letting the shoes drop on the ground. He quickly got up and head straight to the second bathroom in the hallway.  He grabbed the first aid kit from under the sink and went back to this slumbering ex-wife.  He let out a long sigh as he stared at the raw, bloodied feet of Inhye.  The blood had already been long dried up, but the damage was clearly there.

Yoongi blinked, as he sat on the bed.  Had Inhye always been like this?  Hiding her pain, despite how much everything actually hurt? He frowned as he took out the alcohol wipes, ointment, and some bandages out of the kit.  The work of cleaning up her feet was much more tedious than he had expected since she had bled so much.

“I’m sorry for ruining your life.” he muttered out loud, as if she was awake and sober enough to understand him.  “Maybe if I hadn’t been so drunk that night, then you would’ve never been pregnant and Yoonsung would’ve never been born…  And… You would’ve never have to resort to apologizing for this accident and taking the blame for all of this for the rest of your life.”  He let out another sigh, as he gently wiped away the crusted, dried blood on her wounds.  “You did nothing wrong except for…  Falling in love with some jerk like me.  Maybe if I had known sooner that you were in love with me, then we wouldn’t have had Yoonsung?  Because I would’ve stopped everything and…”  His one person conversation came to a stop as he thought about the relationship he had with Inhye.

Although Yoongi never thought much about it, he could still remember the first time he had ever laid eyes on her.  She was this y vixen a friend of a friend had brought to one of the underground rap battles he performed at.  It was the first time he had ever been so flustered, even on stage, that he had lost his concentration.  He thought he made a complete fool of himself, but Inhye kept coming back after that day. 

Most of the time, she’d come alone, but there were other times when she came with other guys.  He did try to talk to her a few times, but he was always in some sputtering mess and ran away in embarrassment.  She eventually took the hint that Yoongi was too shy to even look at her so she was the first to approach him.  After that ‘Hello’ she muttered him, his world was never the same since in a literal and practical sense.

If he could reverse back time and change everything, the one thing he’d do was avoid ever looking at her and lusting after her.

After doing some major self-reflecting over the course of the year, Yoongi would have to agree that all he had ever truly seen Shin Inhye as was a toy.  It never crossed his mind that she was ever capable of feeling emotions besides her undying thirst for .  Inhye was infamously known as a and willingly ed any man that wanted her.  She didn’t prove the rumors wrong when she got on her knees on the dirty bathroom floor of the dingy men’s restroom and blew him so hard he saw the galaxy explode behind his eyes.  That was only within an hour after she first introduced herself to him.  She was his living, breathing toy and that was all he had seen her as, even when they were married. 

He never bothered to know her even after having a child and being married to her.  He never cared about her because he didn’t think that that would ever be necessary. He never saw her as a human being. Instead he saw her as something easily disposable and that was the biggest crime he had ever committed towards her.

Soon enough, the back of her feet were all cleaned up.  Yoongi continued on to lightly and gently dab the ointment on her wounds and quickly the bandaged it up.  He helped her take off her makeup, as he had done before with his ex-girlfriend.  He didn’t have any makeup remover so he opt to use a wet wipe instead, gently removing away all that stuff.  He stared at her bare face for some time. 

She no longer looked like that stressed, gaunt-looking woman that used to work these crazy long shifts at his parent’s restaurant with a wailing baby strapped to her back.  Even with her cheeks now filled up, she still didn’t look like the same girl that would easily push her to the side, wet and ready for his entrance.  Now, she was just Inhye– a successful and beautiful young woman in her mid-20s with an 8 year old son.  A young woman that Yoongi once thought that he knew everything about, but didn’t at all in reality.   

Eventually, he tucked her under the blankets and made sure she’d be warm for the night because it was the least he could do.

 

 

He could hear the sound of the toddler’s footsteps following close behind him, as he walked down the hallway of the Min residency to the kitchen.  He came home early, at the request of his mother, to have dinner with the family.  He seldomly ate at home because he hated seeing his wife and child.  But, his mother bribed him.  She said that if he was willing to eat dinner at home for at least half a year then she’d ask his father to buy him whatever new music equipment he needed.  So, there he was: home at 6pm.

"Dad-dy.” called out Yoonsung to him.  “Dad-dy!”

Yoongi immediately turned to the walking, tiny human.  “Stop following me!” he yelled, startling the child.  “I don’t like you!” 

The child started to cry and lunged to hug his legs.  “Dad-dy.” cried the baby.  He had only begun babbling so the only words he knew were ‘Mommy,’ ‘Daddy,’ and ‘food.’ 

Yoongi let out a frustrated groan as he picked up Yoonsung.  The boy was still crying, despite being picked up by his father as he had wanted.  Yoongi rolled his eyes as he walked into the kitchen and literally threw his son at Inhye, who was at the fridge.  This caused Yoonsung to throw a crying fit as he refused to be held by his mother.

“Dad-dy!  Dad-dy!” sobbed the child, as he reached out for Yoongi.

Mrs. Min let out a frustrated sigh.  “All this noise is only  frustrating me!” she stated, angrily.  She had just finished setting up the dining table, with enough food only for four people. “Inhye, take that irritating thing upstairs and stay there.  I don’t want to hear his crying while our family is trying to enjoy dinner.”

“O-Of course, Mom.” replied Inhye.   Within seconds, she and her crying child were out of sight and out of mind for Yoongi at least.

“That kid never knows how to shut up.” grumbled Mr. Min, as he walked into the kitchen.  He immediately took his seat at the dining table.

“He takes after his mother.  That’s why he’s the most irritating thing ever to exist.” mumbled Yoongi’s mom.

“Where’s Hyung?” asked Yoongi.  The wailing child from upstairs suddenly came to a stop and he was more than happy not to hear that noise anymore.

“He says that he’s running a bit late and to start dinner without him.” smiled Mrs. Min.  Soon enough, the three of them dug into the supper that Inhye supposedly made.  “This stew is too salty.  Is she trying to kill me by giving me high blood pressure?  As if she doesn’t already do that with her and her son’s existence already.”

The stew was fine, but Yoongi wasn’t going to say anything because he hated those two just as much.  Instead, he cleared his throat and grabbed the attention of his parents.  “I’m going to divorce her.” he announced.  “I’m going to finally get rid of that parasite and her spawn.”  His tongue became thick and heavy as if it was lead instead of human flesh.  His breathing suddenly became labored as if his lungs were giving out on him.  He– 

Yoongi let out a loud gasp as he woke up with a start.  He was drenched in cold sweat as he let out a shaky breath. He had been having these types of dreams –or, more specifically, flashbacks – for the last year now.  There were times when the dreams alternate and he would have dreams of the car crash again.  The worst one of all was a repeating nightmare of Inhye and Yoonsung being left behind in his parent’s burning house and everyone knew they were in there, but no one ran in to help them.  No matter how many times Yoongi dreamt that nightmare, he’d always wake up and cry out of guilt.  That was because he would’ve been exactly that if it had happened in real life: just watch both Inhye and Yoonsung die without lifting a finger because he hated them that much.

Yoongi rolled off of the couch and headed towards the kitchen for a bottle of water.  That was when he realized that Inhye was no longer in his room.  In fact, it was as if she was never there.  The side she had slept on was neat and made up.  If it wasn’t for the note and money she left behind on the night stand, then he might’ve thought that he had only imagined bringing her home to be honest.

Her note was a simple ‘Thank you for everything’ on a piece of paper ripped out from one of his notebooks on the night stand.  Yoongi didn’t miss the two 10,000 won bills tucked behind it and let out a long and heavy sigh.  He was going to wake up early and try to make her some breakfast, but it looked like she beat him to it.  She was already long gone.

 

 

Yoongi stared blankly at the grey sky as soft snowflakes littered themselves over him.  He was on his back, lying down on a picnic bench.  No one was going to come up to the roof of the company building during the middle of winter anyways and he wanted some peace and quiet so there he was. Big Hit was a gracious company by turning their rooftop into a small garden and providing a few picnic benches for workers to enjoy their breaks on.

Yoongi was extremely tired.  Ever since bumping into Inhye over 2 months ago, his dreams have worsen.  Nightmares.  There was always an occurrence of a death in these nightly nightmares and it’d always be Yoonsung or Inhye, but never him.  Although those deaths were only fragmentations of wispy dreams, they’d cause him to wake up in much distress and sadness.  They only made him want to see his son even more, despite what his ex-wife had requested of him.

He closed his eyes slowly, enjoying the fall of snow on him.  Even though he was immensely stressed within the confinements of the building, he found himself to be in a state of calmness the second he stepped onto the rooftop. He seldom came up here and hardly realized how easily it calmed down his restless spirit.  Maybe this was why Hoseok enjoyed hanging out here from time to time in the Spring.  He had once thought the rumbling of cars driving a few blocks down on the major street would be a ruckus, but little did he realized that it was nothing but a minor buzz amongst his tired mind. 

Yoongi felt himself falling into a soft slumber amongst the powdery, soft bits of freshly fallen snow.  In the back of his mind, he told himself to get up and go back to the studio but he didn’t.  He couldn’t. His body was so heavy and tired.  He pulled his phone out and set the timer for 15 minutes because a few minutes here should be fine.

The burning inferno immediately engulfed Yoongi’s childhood home as he continued to stand within it.  He let out an aspirated gasped, as he desperately turned to and fro in the middle of the living room.  He was looking for something he deemed important in the midst of this life threatening moment, but he couldn’t remember what it was.  The sounds of his family’s screams and yells for him could be heard through the opened door.  Despite hearing the worried voices from the other side of that door, Yoongi couldn’t see anyone standing out there.  In the view of that opened door, there only stood pitch black darkness. 

Without a second thought, Yoongi dashed out of the burning house into the coolness of the winter night.  But, when he turned around to take one last look into the home he once lived in, he came to an abrupt stop with wide eyes.  The wailing sound of his son cut right through his heart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter