The Noah's Challenge

The Veela's Mate

Image result for Gdragon coup detat gif

 

That morning, a blood - red scroll sealed with a black serpents symbols that neither Jiyong or Seungri recognize had been delivered to the manor. He couldn't mistake the dark aura that hung around it, though because it almost palpable. One of Jiyong's maids delivered it to their bedroom and she put it on a tray because she don't want to touch it.

It's undestandable because as soon as the tray was placed on the table, he flinched back and Jiyong's wings began to shuddered and beat down to his sides, as his growls filled the room. 

"I think its alright," Seungri said warily, although he didn't manage to take his glance away from that scroll. He think that he had see that seal somewhere before but he don't remember. The scroll looks like it contain threats and he wondere who had send it to them, or maybe it's for Jiyong's family. 

He wondered if the Kwons had enemy. Of course they have one. Seungri thought, and if that the case, it probably safe for him to touch it. 

"Don't touch it," Jiyong warned, when Seungri reached for it. 

Seungri feel a shudder travel through him. He suspected that a normal submissive mate would have stop immediately at that order, but he kept his hand moving carefully, landing on the scroll. He traced his fingers on the seal and it feel cold on his hand. 

"Didn't you hear me?" Jiyong was arching his wings in anxious manner, and he can't stop growling as he stares at Seungri. 

Seungri met his stare, until Jiyong shifted and looked down to his hand. "Yes," said Seungri shortly. "I just didn't consider it worth obeying." 

Jiyong opened his mouth as if he wanted to argue, but then he nodded and said, "Right. I forget sometimes." 

Its not worth dwelling on further, Seungri thought and cracked open the seal. The last faint aura of menace disperse the moment he did. He blinked. He wondered if the seal had been spelled to make the scroll look dangerous. If so, how and why did they do it? 

He proceded opening the scroll and Jiyong stands beside him, both in cautious and curiousity as he looked into the scroll. He thought he knew who this was from, who would think to use the symbols and sure enough, the handwriting on the scroll was the exact replica of the letter that Noah had used in the invitation letter she send to him week ago. 

To Kwon Jiyong, if he's not a coward. 

I was hereby to issue a challenge of duel for the hand of your mate, Lee Seungri on the behalf of my son, Lucas Noah. As you already know, to challenge a fated mate of a Veela is valid, as long as the bond has yet to be established, or when the Veela is not desired by their own mate and when there is someone who is eligible enough to replace their place through duel. My son fit the criterion, and Seungri, the other. I give you the chance to set the place but I decide the date will be on 29th, at noon, unless if you're a coward.

Noah had signed her name with a flourish that Seungri almost had to admire but the absurdity of the scroll content held him back. 

He become aware of the low guttural sounds behind him, going on and on, until it sounded like a hostile wolf, growling towards its prey. When he turned around, he discovered it was Jiyong, pacing back and forth behind him, beating his wings relentlessly. It wasn't enough to make him rise from the gorund, only caused a soft breeze that fanned Seungri's hair.

"What this is all about?" He asked calmly. It was something that he only knew from what had been written by Noah on the scroll, but Jiyong had probably grown up quoting the books about it.

Jiyong stop pacing, and he folded his wings back. "It was sort of duelling code that was meant to claim the right on mate," He said and his voice was low and cautious. Jiyong 's eyes was on him now. "If it happen that the mate of the Veela have someone else before the Veela pursue them or someone who is interested in them, the person or whatever they was, could challenge the Veela's right on the mate and settled it by a duel. A single combat."

"Is it to death?" Seungri asked, and he handed the letter to Jiyong. He feel sick at how revolting the idea they have, thinking that a mate is some prize that needed to be won. At least now, he think that Jiyong didn't think of him like that but those bastards were unbelievable. 

"Yes, the duel is to death because only then the mate is freed from the bond and whoever win the battle, will also win the right to claim the mate." 

Seungri blinked at Jiyong, "But I'm not a prize to be won. Whether or not that he win the duel, it won't change anything. I won't go to him just because he didn't die."

"I know," Jiyong said, locking his eyes with Seungris' "but, if I die, its mean the bond between you and me will dissapear too. Only then, whoever that have interest on you will be able to pursue you." 

"Can't I solve this on my own?" he said, and Jiyong furrowed his eyebrows. "I don't want to stay behind you and get protected. I'm not that weak, so don't treat me like I am. It's uncomfortable."

Jiyong paused for a second. Then he said, "If thats the case, then don't worry. I never once thought that you're weak." He then stared at Seungri as if measuring his reaction. "The one who is weak is actually me."

"From the start, it was me who was clinging to you. It was me who will die if you left and I thought that I won't have a chance when you refused this bond." Jiyong said, as he walk toward him, closing the distance between them. "But then, you give me a chance. I was happy and excited, but it also makes me anxious." Then, Jiyong closed their hands together. "I'm worried if I don't do anything, I'll lose it all. I need to do this, not because I have doubt that you can't protect yourself but it because of me. I need to prove myself that I have such power to protect you, to keep you safe beside me in this kind of relationship."

"Do you get what I'm saying?" The Veela asked, but he left the question hanging. "I'm doing this not because I think you're weak, it because I'm weak. Because if I lose you, the one who will crumble down is me."

"Fine," Seungri said after a while. He see the faint smile on Jiyong's face and he feel like his heart was beating weirdly at the sight of it. He'll think about that later, but for now, they need to think about this bloody duel. "How good are you at dueling?" 

"I never duel before," said Jiyong, frowning as he considered. "But what I know is I have to win this one. I will not let anyone take you away from me." 

The emphasis wasn't subtle, but he think that he couldn't disagree with Jiyong. The last person he would ever want to be with is with Lucas and he don't like seeing Noah win either. This is so petty of them to do such thing. He gave Jiyong a distracted smile. "Of course you won't."

Jiyong was silent, too profoundly silent. "What?" Seungri added. "I thought that was what you want to hear."

"It simply," said Jiyong, and paused to draw a breath before he continue, although Seungri doubted those two words had exhausted his store of air. "because you're right. I won't let that happen."

"So, I guess the rules to these duel is the duelers face each other within a certain defined area and they bow at the starts."

"There are other things that is in the part of the traditions." Jiyong's face went blank, but Seungri thought he was feeling a sort of tiny sparks, bubbling up and down his blood, and in his voice no matter how hard he tried to keep it down. "For example, the person who issued the challenge gets to choose the date and the weapons that can be used in the combat." 

Seungri stared at the Veela, "You were outrageous a moment ago, but you seems thrilled by this now." 

Jiyong smirked as he walk closer to Seungri, and Seungri let himself to be pulled into a hug. "I was outrageous because they insulted me, and even dare to challenge me but I think that this is a perfect chance. I will put an end to this and Lucas will pay for what he did to you."

Seungri shuddered when Jiyong's breathe hit his earlobes. For a moment, he thought of pursuing a line of reasoning, but in the end, he shrugged and gently pushed Jiyong away. "It's look like she's chosen the date, and she get to choose the weapons. What did you get to choose?" He asked, looking back at the letter. 

"I got to choose what kind of duel it is," Jiyong said, and he walk to stands beside Seungri. "It's called the stake. Usually, these duels are to death, I can choose first blood, or defeat after a certain actions, or something else, and the forfeit that the loser has to pay."

"If you win?" Seungri tapped the letter thoughtfully. 

Jiyong nodded. "If I win, which I was certain that I will, or else, I'd be lot frantic than this."

Seungri spent a moment looking at him. "It must be hard on you, to be mated to someone like me." he said, as naturally as he could.

"Its lot harder than I expected," Jiyong said. "But I didn't expect you," He paused and then gave a small shrug and shook his head. "I had my chance to do something else, even if that just acknoledging you and ended up dying. But I choose to keep on going." 

That attitude was familiar enough that Seungri felt his heart give a single, heavy thump in his chest. He reached out, and took Jiyong's hand and squeezed it once. He didn't release it when the squeeze is done, either. He turned back to the letter. 

"Promise me you will win this."

"Yes." Jiyong smiled.

 

*

 

Jiyong looked back and forth carefully. They are standing on the grass at the Kwons' manor yard. The sky threatened rain and sun at the same time, the clouds are brilliant grey with the lights always darting away behind them again. Jiyong wasn't sure which to wish for. On the other hand, rain might make the grass muddy and make Seungri slip. But sun could blinded him in the wrong moment and let Lucas get in a killing blow. 

He had choosed first blood for the combat, of course, which he had agreed together with his mate. But Jiyong wouldn't be careless and give any chance for either Lucas or Noah to harm Seungri, just like what they did that day. 

Noah and her son wasn't here yet, which as Jiyong had expected. Of course, she would made things more dramatic by issuing challenge like this; they would put off as long as possible the moment of their entrance 

But they couldn't wait until past noon without forfeiting their own challenge, and soon he heard the sound of car engine he had half - expected. A black car drove in, along the brick road and stop near the manor. A moment later, Noah comes out from the car and Lucas followed her close from behind. Jiyong shook his head. There was some kind of arrogance that ones always try to show, and of course, it made them far more predictable. 

Seungri glanced briefly at Lucas and other people behind her. The only person he had invite to witness the duel that day was Youngbae and Daesung, who remained tense with tight distress behind Jiyong. And also, Sandara, the Kwons family private doctor. They had been talking, but had stopped in an instant they saw Noah and the others arrive. "Is she going to ask her precious son to fight you? I don't think Lucas is capable of that though." 

"I don't think so, she could mandate someone else, or something else to fight on their behalf." Said Jiyong, and he didn't take his eyes off from Noah and Lucas as they walk towards them. 

"But then, if this battle is to death, he wasn't the one that will die, but the substitute," Seungri scowled as he tilted his head at Jiyong. Jiyong can't help but to wonder if he know hos inexpressibly cute he was when he did that. "Why do so many advantage go to the person who makes the challenge?"

"Because, the acient people who framed the rules thought the person who make the challenge first showed more honor," Jiyong murmured, watching critically as Noah walk through the gates. "To them, a person who had enough courage to challenge a Veela over something so critical like this, got the extra advantage to celebrate their courage."

"This whole thing is absurd. Noah or Lucas didn't have that courage if they use substitute to face you."

Jiyong glanced quickly at Seungri. Seungri's eyes were blazing so bright that it almost painful to look at them - certainly painful to think that this duel might close them forever. Jiyong answered coutiously, "I doubt they even thinking about that right now. They want to use this duel to get you and I won't let it."

Seungri didn't answer but watched them walk closer to them with a faint sneer. Jiyong step forward and put his wing on Seungri's shoulder as he faced them. 

"Kwon." Lucas stared at him and he didn't bow, which Jiyong knew was a major etiquette when it comes to duel. If you challenged a Veela to a contest like this, you were suppose to show some respect to them for accepting. But Jiyong only stared back at him and in a moment, he gave up the attempt to intimidate him and spoke more briskly. "We will tell you our choice of weapons in a moment. In a meantime, I ought to remind you that this battle is to death."

Jiyong feels Seungri tensed beside him, and he gave Lucas a hateful glares that made Jiyong hold back a smirk. Lucas or Noah should know that even if they won this battle, there is no way Seungri will go to them and the fact make his chest swell with pride for his mate. This battle is merely pointless, but on Jiyong's side, it could probably help him prove his own worthiness to Seungri.

Jiyong nodded. "Please state your weapons then."

Lucas's face was ugly as he stared at them. "I choose proxies."

"They really are using substitutes. What a coward." Seungri whispered to Jiyong. Jiyong smiled, and reach his hand down and laced it with Seungri's. He need to reassure his mate that it'll be okay, just as much as he wanted to reassure himself that he won't lose the right to hold Seungri. 

Two of Noah's assistant come forth, bringing a padlocked black iron box and place it between them before retreating back to their place. Jiyong shifted, unable to help himself. He could sense a throb of magic from inside that box that worries him. Of course they won't use anything as simple to defeat a Veela. 

Lucas gave them a nasty smile and opened the box. The thing inside whirred out and sat on his shoulder with a nose like several clock chiming. 

It was a dragon, Jiyong saw, a dragon formed of metal and jewels. This one is marked in silver and steel all over. The silver will give it some magical protection, and the steel would protect some more delicate parts inside its body, making it work. Jiyong knew, vaguely, how to create such creatures, but they required some anchoring spells inside metallic circles and wheels that served as substitutes for internal organs. He had never really studied them before. 

This one also has ruby eyes, rubies that immediately locked onto him and blazed with something like Lucas's hatred. The dragon crouched for a moment. 

"I guess you don't have balls to fight Jiyong on your own Lucas," said Seungri, unable to contain himself anymore. That moment, Seungri looks more ready to bite Lucas's head off than him but Lucas didn't look concerned at all. 

"I don't care about that." Lucas's eyes shone, and he touched the dragon's shoulder. "At the end of this battle, your Veela would be dead."

For a moment, Seungri looked like he wanted to say something, but instead he turn to Jiyong. "He won't". He said, staring straight at Jiyong's eyes. "I believe he will win this."

Jiyong felt his wings warm and twitch. He wanted Seungri to believed in him, of course, and maybe it was inevitable, since he don't want Lucas to do anything to him if he gain victory. But then, there is something special about Seungri's unconstrained voice. 

Lucas was stilled for a second, and then, he looked back and forth from one of their faces to another. "And the stake?" he asked. 

"The duels continue until one of us touches the ground," said Jiyong. "The ground only, not the trees. And if you lose, you and your mother cease bothering my mates and cut all of your ties with him." He paused for a second, and stare intensely at Lucas. "If I lose, then my bonds with him shall disappear, along with my existance and he's free to have a bond with anyone else." 

Lucas and Noah both has this smug grin on their faces. They looked confident with the stakes and Lucas acknowledge them with a nod. 

"Up," said Lucas, and unleashed the dragon from his shoulder. It promptly soared until it was a dot in the sky. 

Borne with Seungri's faith and choice more than by the wind, Jiyong unfurled his wings and took off after it. 

 

*

Jiyong beat his wings steadily, knowing that he had to gain height and get away from any trees on the ground. Their branches would tangle his wings, and he would be less effective fighting against a dragon that might breathe fire if he's around woods. 

He knew it was hard to fight aginst created animals, much less created animals that he didn't know anything about. He suppose that Noah had hired someone experianced in making them for this duels. The dragon look liable enough to kill him if he's not carefull but then, there were certain things he could do as dominant Veela, fighting to protect the mate that he couldn't have done if he's just merely struggling for his own survival. 

He broke into a patch of clear sky and spun around with his heart pounding inside his chest, and his face already flickering. Jiyong focused on the dragon, still a speck above him, and then, he spreads his wings. In a second, he was floating in the air, no beating of his wings, but not rising nor falling. He could feel the wind around him, tingling and stirring with his magic. 

The dragon, however, seems to decide on its own that he was venurable that he was holding still. Or maybe because of the will of its creator that wouldn't let it hesitate any longer. It came diving at him, straight down from the clouds, aimed for the top of his head like an arrow. 

Jiyong waited for it. He could've simply circled away from it, he could've fight back, but it needed to come close enough that he could embrace it. He was breathing, he knew that, but it seemed to him that his breathing and blood were suspended like his body in the air. He looked at the dragon and he couldn't look away. 

The dragon come within the circle of his wings, and Jiyong acted.

When he swept around it, the magic around him stirred and charged. Jiyong smiled. He was doing this for his mate. All he had to do was to think about Seungri, and the fire went out, and the dragon was left mid hanging in mid air looking foolish. It opened its mouth as if it going to bite him, and Jiyong hit it. 

The dragon's body were solid, thick with metal and jewels, but lot smaller than Jiyong, small enough to sit on his shoulder. He hit it and bowled it over and over., so that he had to beats his wings harder to catch up with it. But the magic that stirred and tingled in the air still move with him, and it closed around the dragon when Jiyong was close enough to surround it with his wings again. 

Jiyong thought of what that fire could've done to Seungri, if Noah or Lucas set the dragon on Seungri and left. He thought about Seungri's hair burning because of it and Seungri's voice, screaming in pain if it did. 

His throat swelled. He gathered all his strength and hit it as hard as he could and then, something else inside it, some delicate organs made of silver and crystal, shattered inside. The dragon's left wing had barely flapping now, and it listed in circle. It then, stretched out its claw and trying to dive at him. 

Jiyong didn't bother hitting it this time. He wanted to get his own hands on Noah's artifact, and rend it into pieces. When he grabbed the dragon, it promptly sank its claws into his arms in retaliation. He ignored the stinging pain as he brought up his leg and smashed them into the dragon's hind legs. He was flying up side down, drawing the dragon in to his chest, his mouth open and his panting fill the small, heated space between their wings. 

The dragon shrieked, enough to bring tears in Jiyong's eyes. But he's still defending his mate, and he could ignore that easily. 

He slammed his foot into the dragon's belly and the magic that were flowing through him was strong enough to dent the silver. The dent crashed into something else sensitive inside the dragon's body. He heard it sounded like a glass breaking, and finally, the dragon other wings stopped working. 

Jiyong smiled. Now all he had to do is to let the bloody thing fall to the ground, and the condition on whoever touch the ground first would lose the duel will be fulfilled. 

But then, when he tried to let the dragon go, he found its claws had sunken deep into his flesh. It leaned near him and opened his mouth, and Jiyong wasn't sure that he had enough magic left to stop its fire. 

It wasn't fire it breathed, but instead, its a long, metallic forked tounge extended, and it spat a hard wash of yellow liquid onto Jiyong's face. He jerked his head back, but he wasn't in time to prevent the liquid from soaking his skin and dripping into his mouth. 

When he accidentally swallow some of it, it began to burn. Jiyong screamed. There was nothing menacing left in the sound of it, only a pure agony and pain. This feel like a poison, and he could feel his throat swelling again but this time, shut. 

The dragon was trying to crawl up to his eyes, probably to spit more poison on him. Jiyong whirled around and trust his hand into its mouth, reaching straight down into the innards. 

In seconds, the dragon were squirming madly agaisnt him, and Jiyong was flying sideways, struggling to find something that would - he don't know. It was unlikely for Noah to put the antidote agaisnt its poison in there, but that was what Jiyong wanted and hoped to find. 

Or, at least, he would wrench something vital inside the dragon out and make them pay for his death. 

 

TBC... 

 

A.N: Someone had been asking me if there is any chance for this story to conclude some y scene, but IDK yet since I had never write it before. I am more like a mushy sappy kind of author stuff than y, hot material you know. So I was a worried, I'm afraid if I cant write it well and it turns out to be hella awkward. >< so i dont know yettttt

Anyway, sorry for the late update. I'm a bit busy with stuffs lately and thank you to the new subscribers. And also, thank u to V1ranti , ariesyafarha , rh3panda , and startr for the upvotes . Special thank u to my new friend Aizele for your continuous support. <3