Chance upon

SEE MY SKY

Seoul, year 2018
[Saturday, 3 March]

 

 

Naye's POV

 

 

"Are you sure it's alright for me to do this?" I asked as I was opening the door to my sister's apartment. I was holding my phone against my ear with my other hand while trying hard to get inside.

"Yeah it's okay! I'm just not sure if.. Well it doesn't really matter." I heard her wondering on the other side of the line.

"If what? That doesn't sound very convincing.. Am I going to die as soon as I step inside or something? Did you clean the house like you promised??" I snickered as I finally could get the door open. I had never been in my sister's apartment before, this was the first time.

"Well.. My friend will probably stop by for a moment. I forgot to give him the flashdrive he needs.." I heard Hayi mumbling. Her way of expressing that he was her friend made me question their relationship.

"Oh so this friend of yours? Who is it and what's going on?" I smiled mischievously even though she couldn't see it. Before I stepped inside of her apartment, I grabbed my suitcase from the corridor's floor.

"Hah.. I guess I can tell you if you're moving in with me." Hayi wondered which I only snorted to.

"And no other reason? So trusting and loving sister I have.. I thought we were close." I pretended to be hurt as I pulled my suitcase inside.

"Stop being such a drama queen and, alright.. This guy who might visit there soon is my friend, at the moment, Yoongi. He's studying in K-ARTS also and yeah.. I might've found myself fond to him lately." She managed to explain.

"Whoa.. Is he a future boyfriend material?" I asked and placed my suitcase in the main hallway before checking Hayi's apartment through. Nice little place she got.

"Yah.. Let's not think that far yet." Hayi chuckled lightly when I walked through the place. There was only one big room with living room, kitchen and one bed. Then there was two doors on the left side after the kitchen area. When I walked to the doors and opened the first one, it appeared to be a small bathroom. The next door was apparently my soon-to-become room.

 

"Well I'd like to think all the possibilities." I shrugged as I walked back to the main room. "Does he have a key to your place?!"

"Just.. Shut up and stay still until I'm free. I need to get going and my boss doesn't like me speaking during my working time. Try to survive and don't be afraid of him." Hayi told lightly. "And yes he has a key to my place.. In case of emergency you know.. I think now he needs to give it to you though so you can return the third one to our parents." She continued and I snorted to her statement.

"Whoa now... Fine I think I can survive. See you soon sis." I hung up and placed my phone to the table on my right. I observed the area for a while before heading to Hayi's bed and laid down. It's been already a rough day and it's not even 3 pm yet.

 

 

So today I woke up to another chilly spring morning, another Saturday but still not just any kind of Saturday. Today was the day I moved out of my parents' house to Seoul to live with my older sister Hayi. The reason for this not so sudden moving at all, was because I got in to Korea National University of Arts. I was about to start my first year in K-ARTS on the next week's Monday - day after tomorrow. I was one of a spring's starter students so that's why the school started only now and not last fall.

I went to the high school in Gwangju city. Even though it is a big city, I went to this small high school where there wasn't many students with me. I took a music and arts as a special class in there so I could do what I loved back then. My older sister Hayi studied there too but she graduated year before me and got in to K-ARTS last year. She moved to Seoul and left me and our younger sister behind. When I heard that I got accepted in to K-ARTS as well, I didn't really know what to think. Way before I would've said that I was now on my way to achieve my dream, but those words meant nothing to me anymore.

Even back then I was rather reluctant on taking the whole music and arts class. My life took a huge turn back then but somehow my father managed to talk me into it. He encouraged me and told me not give up on my dream even though the critical things happened. So in the end I took the class and got few extra points which apparently allowed me to get in to K-ARTS. I don't know how exactly they thought I was a suitable candidate taking into account that I couldn't show them my singing in the application. Maybe they had searched me online and knew my accomplishments or they found out who my mother was since the singing sample was a mandatory requirement in the application. Either way I still think I shouldn't have got accepted.

 

 

"Yeah I'm here." I snapped back to reality when I heard someone's low voice speaking in the apartment. I shot my eyes open and sat up quietly on Hayi's bed. "Did she tell you where is it?" He continued talking and I heard steps walking closer. Yikes. I bit my lips together before swallowing hardly. This must've been the Yoongi guy.

"Oh..?" I gaped at the figure walking right in front of me to where Hayi's desk was located. He stopped and eyed Hayi's desk. Should I say something or just maybe hide? I wondered while staying still. Saying something might've been too awkward since I'd been quiet the entire time till now, but hiding could be even more awkward if he'd see me. "Yeah yeah yeah I see it. I'll head back now." I saw how this wide shouldered guy removed the phone from his ear and slid it in his right side's pocket. Then he reached something from the desk.

"..." I opened my throat quietly as I saw him turning around. It was like he'd turned in slow motion as I observed every part of his face I could see. He had a lollipop in his mouth but removed it as soon as our gazes met.

"Who the hell--?" He started and sounded way more intimidating than earlier when he was talking to the phone.

"H-hi.." I squeaked as I started to get up from the bed. He had frozen to his spot, other hand holding the flash drive, other the lollipop. He was handsome for what I think. Tall guys had always attracted me but now imagining Hayi standing next to him just made me feel amused.

"..." He didn't say anything and just kept on observing me. He gazed me from head to toes before focusing on my face properly. I didn't say anything either since I was too intrigued by his facial gestures as he studied my face. Thank God I put make up on this morning. 

"Well.." I started since it was now extremely awkward and it only got worse as we kept on staying silent. "You must be--" I started but when I saw his expression changing as if he'd realized something, I stopped talking.

https://satumarjaanablog.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/tumblr_inline_otc55qyhjl1qks696_540.gif?w=1080

"You're Lee Hayi's sister right?" He asked and sounded normal again. He had this slightly bored tone in his voice which I didn't know was it because of me or was it just his normal voice.

"Yeah, how did you know?" I bit my lips together before realizing that Hayi must've told him about me. "Ah Hayi must've--" I started again but was cut off by him.

"From your face. The height doesn't match but you look a like." He snorted in amusement and I bit my lips together again. The only thing which separated us three sisters properly was the fact that Hayi as the oldest was the shortest (5,1 ft = 156 cm) when I as the middle child was the tallest (5,4 ft = 165 cm). Soyi was the youngest but still taller than Hayi which was our family's little inside joke (5,2 ft = 160 cm)What should I answer to him? 

"Hah.. I haven't heard anyone say that in a while." I smiled slightly as I gazed the floor quickly. "When we were young people used to tell that all the time.. Now I'm kind of separated from my sisters." I mumbled before realizing that this guy probably couldn't care a less about my babbling. "I'm sorry.. I don't know what was that." I chuckled once without humor and walked to the kitchen where my phone was located.

"It's okay." He just casually noted and walked towards the front door.

"A-are you leaving already?" I dared to ask when he reached the door. I noticed how he turned his attention to me slowly.

"I just came here for this. Sorry for barging in, I didn't know you were here." He shrugged and nudged his head to the door.

"Ah, don't worry. All's good." I wrinkled my nose before smiling slightly. I saw him now placing his hand on the door handle. I remembered what Hayi said about his key. "I-I'm sorry for stopping you but Hayi told me that I should get the key which you used to get inside, since I don't have my own and I'm kind of starting live here from this day onwards.." I babbled excessively for a second time already. I closed my eyes in frustration before opening them and smiling to him nicely.

"Tch." I saw his amused expression as he took steps closer to me. He held me the key so I walked to him to get it.

"Sorry.." I mumbled and took the key from him.

"No worries." The guy shook his head slightly while smiling. "I'll go now." He headed to the door and gave me one last glance.

"I'll see you around." I waved to him as he left the building. Well that couldn't be more awkward.

 

 

Few hours later

 

 

I was sitting in the kitchen while observing Hayi cooking something which smelled delicious. Thinking of how my life would change now since I was living here instead of in Gwangju with my parents, made me feel a bit anxious. Was I ready for this? I mean yes it was probably the time for me to get independent from my parents since I was already turning 20 this year. I was officially becoming an adult.

I played with my phone in my hand and leaned my jaw line against my left palm. Would I be able to make friends here? What if Hayi got annoyed to me and kicked me out? Well I did promise her to move to my own apartment as soon as I got my life steady here. Till that, she was stuck with me.

 

 

"Here." I snapped back to reality when Hayi placed a bowl of something in front of me.

"What is this?" I observed the food on my plate.

"Risotto. My own recipe, you'll love it." Hayi grinned as she sat down on the other side of the table.

"At least it smells good." I chuckled and reached to grab the spoon from the table.

"So.. How did it go out with Yoongi?" Hayi questioned before putting a small amount of rice in .

"Well.." I started but swallowed my words.

"Not good?" Hayi furrowed her brows.

"Well he wasn't exactly the most talkative person I've met." I chuckled once. "And apparently he didn't know that I was here." I continued.

"Yeeeah.. He might've not listened me when I told him. He often drifts off to his own thoughts." Hayi wondered and I just shrugged.

"He did seem like a that kind of a person." I stated and placed some risotto in my mouth.

"Well yeah.. Wouldn't surprise me.." Hayi rolled her eyes before we chuckled to her statement.

"It really doesn't matter." I laughed it off. "All that matters is that he's a good looking guy and possible boyfriend material so let's not think anything unnecessary."

"Maybe you're right." Hayi snorted and turned back to her food. I wasn't going to tell her how awkward it was between me and him during his brief stay since it would only make her worry more. "Oh right. Are you ready to start your first year in the university?" Hayi suddenly questioned with a girly smirk.

"Hah, you're asking seriously?" I cocked my brows.

"Well the things have changed.." Hayi stated and the smirk disappeared with that sentence.

"I know.. But to be honest, right now I think I'm ready." I smiled slightly and saw her smiling too.

 

 

Dear life, bring it on.

 

 

---