surfers' debut

lee jihoon: swimming fool
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The only time that you can see me up this early is right now. Or in Seoul, going to work.” Jihoon complains into the camera. “It’s today’s camera fairy. Jihoon.”

It’s too early in Malibu, and the sun has barely gotten up. The morning breeze is chilly, blowing in from the beach, where the sound of the calming waves meeting the shore almost lulls Jihoon back to sleep as he tries to repress a yawn. It’s a miracle that he even got out of bed, and stuffed himself into his new wetsuit. He’s wearing an oversized sweater and shorts over it, because he feels cold.

“Say it cutely, that’s your charm!” Soonyoung calls out, loading the car with beach essentials. Jihoon doesn’t want to ask where he got the giant inflatable beach ball, which can’t fit into the trunk.

Jihoon shoots Soonyoung a death glare. “It’s too early for that.”

Soonyoung throws the beach ball back into the yard, deciding not to bring it along (not like they’re going to need it, anyway). “Bundle up. Let’s go!”

They’re heading for their first surfing lesson with their unnamed instructor; and Jihoon’s too sleepy to feel nervous. He dozes off during the short ride to the beach front, as Soonyoung drives and talks to himself.

The beach is deserted this early in the morning, save for a few early risers heading to the surf with their boards. Soonyoung quickly rushes out of his car to Jerry’s surf shop on the beach, much like an excited child on Christmas morning; leaving Jihoon in the car, who’s rattled awake by the slam of the car door. 

Jerry greets Soonyoung with a smile, as he opens the surf shop. “You’re early, Soonyoung.”

“Our date’s at 8AM.” Soonyoung says, looking out excitedly to the ocean – there’re already a few hardcore surfers out there, warming up for the surf; and a lone runner with a dog on a leash. The atmosphere increases the sense of anticipation in the air, and the grin on Soonyoung’s face widens.

Jerry drops his keys, smile fading, then looks at his watch.  “It’s only 6AM, dude.”

“Nope, my phone says that it’s 8AM, buddy.” Soonyoung argues, showing his phone to Jerry.

“That’s Central time.” Jerry says, looking at the display on Soonyoung’s phone. “We’re on Pacific Standard Time here, which is two hours later than your clock.”  

“Oh.”

Jerry laughs it off. “No worries. Come, help me out with the boards.” Soonyoung follows Jerry into the shop, chattering non-stop about ocean waves.

Meanwhile in the car, Jihoon stares blankly at the camera he’s holding. “I’m going back to sleep.” He switches the device off to conserve its power, then leans back in his seat for some precious shut-eye. It’s a bit uncomfortable wearing the wetsuit for a different purpose (it keeps giving him a wedgie) but eventually Jihoon falls back asleep, until Soonyoung raps on the window a while later.

“Hoonie, wake up, our instructor’s here!”

“Shut up. Let me sleep.” Jihoon mumbles, turning his back on Soonyoung.

Soonyoung drags the car door open and shakes Jihoon awake. “C’mon, let’s go surfing! I’m so excited!” He practically pulls Jihoon out of the car, so Jihoon has to stumble after him, still half-asleep, dragging his feet on the sand-covered asphalt.

“I swear, if our instructor’s been Jerry all along…” Jihoon mutters, still in his dazed state, thinking about beef steak and jacket potatoes.

Of course, Soonyoung’s not listening, fixating his attention on a different person. “HELLO!” He calls out, loud enough so that his voice reverberates out to sea, waking Jihoon up at the same time. Jihoon can’t really see who Soonyoung is addressing, but he can sense someone else hanging around the back of the jeep that they’re approaching.  

“Uh, hi, guys. I guess you’re Soonyoung?” The stranger looks up amid the surfboards at the back of his jeep. He’s taken by surprise by Soonyoung’s sudden greeting that probably woke up half of Malibu this early in the morning.

“That’s me! And this is my best friend, Hoonie!” Soonyoung shoves Jihoon towards the stranger, and Jihoon almost trips. The tall, brawny stranger instinctively reaches out to catch Jihoon, but he steadies himself before he embarrasses himself in front of his new surf instructor. Of course Soonyoung’s filming, Jihoon realises, with his ubiquitous camera glued to his hand.

“Hey. It’s nice to meet you.” The stranger smiles, and Jihoon finally takes a proper look at him. He has deep brown eyes, framed by impossibly long eyelashes that could probably balance a couple of matchsticks if someone tried. He’s clad in an appropriately tight black wetsuit; his lower half covered by board shorts.

“I’m Seungcheol.” The stranger says, smiling again. “I’ll be your surf instructor until you master the waves,” He adds, and Jihoon swears, he thinks that Seungcheol winked after that last line; or maybe there’s something in his eye. Probably the latter, he convinces himself.

“Wait, so you’re Korean?” Soonyoung blurts out.

“Well, yeah, I’m from Korea. I guess I’m pretty Korean.” Seungcheol musses up his hair, surprised at Soonyoung’s sudden question.

“A pretty Korean, if you please.” Jihoon mumbles to himself, emphasising the adjective; eyeing Seungcheol’s ily messy hair.

“You don’t look that Korean, haha. What did you say, Hoonie?” Soonyoung remarks, before turning to look at Jihoon.

“Nothing.” Jihoon can feel his ears turning red, as Seungcheol laughs at Soonyoung’s earlier statement.

“We can speak Korean, then!”  

“No problem.” Seungcheol nods, and Soonyoung simply smiles back. No one says anything for a while, the momentary pause filled by the seagulls’ caw as they circle above the sand. “Let’s head to the beach.” Seungcheol breaks the short silence, looking out to the sea. He leads the way, and Jihoon and Soonyoung follow suit.

Jihoon lets Soonyoung walk between Seungcheol and himself; he feels that Seungcheol’s the kind of guy he wouldn’t even try to talk to in real life. Big, brawny, with a gorgeous face. Jihoon has yet to judge the extent of brawniness Seungcheol has, but he’s carrying two surfboards at once; his arm muscles rippling under his wetsuit. Soonyoung’s asking the standard get-to-know questions to Seungcheol, who easily answers them, but Jihoon’s barely paying attention.

“Nice suits, guys. You’ve got your boards?”

“Hoonie picked our suits!” Soonyoung does a little twirl on the sand. Jihoon’s still wearing his sweater over his wetsuit, so Seungcheol must’ve been complimenting Soonyoung only, Jihoon thinks. No big deal. It’s just a suit, who needs to be complimented over wetsuits, surfers wear them all the time – Jihoon’s thoughts are going faster than usual, as if in sync with his tachycardia. He tunes out a bit from the ensuing conversation between the two other guys as he goes through

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter