dig deeper

lee jihoon: swimming fool
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihoon and Soonyoung’s fourth day in Los Angeles is a rest day; since Jihoon’s out cold. He’s been sleeping all day, recharging his batteries after spending all of yesterday at Santa Monica Pier. Soonyoung can’t even wake him up for breakfast, because Jihoon swats him off when he tries.

“Mmf.” Jihoon mumbles something unintelligible from under the covers, so Soonyoung leaves him alone.

Soonyoung goes for breakfast on his own, though it’s noticeably lonely having no one to talk to. He finishes his breakfast quickly, swallowing half of the breakfast buffet. He flips through the morning papers, though only the comics section interest him (other news bits are too worrying for carefree Soonyoung). There’s nothing else for him to do, so he leaves the dining room, wondering what to do without Jihoon.

He’s between decisions of staying in, or going out to explore the city alone; but remembers that he has a lot of footage to review to put up on his travel blog. Usually he posts on the second or third day of his travels in a new city, so he’s overdue for a new entry for Los Angeles.

Returning to his room (greeted with a lightly snoring burrito on one bed), Soonyoung powers up his laptop and transfers travel photos from the past two days. He saves the best ones into a folder, then glances at the camcorder sitting right by him, hesitating. He’d jumped impulsively onto the vlogging bandwagon, since it’s what all the cool travel bloggers do nowadays; but he hadn’t thought how much effort it takes to get the final cut, plus he doesn’t know how to do it. It’s a classic case of dealing with things when it matters, and it hits Soonyoung that it actually matters, right now, but he doesn’t have a clue on how to deal with it. So he stares at his laptop screen for a while, then gets bored, flicking over to YouTube to watch videos on conspiracy theories.

A few hours later, Soonyoung’s still sitting at the desk, propped in front of his laptop, as the bundle of sheets on Jihoon’s bed stirs.

“Morning.” Jihoon sits up in bed; his hair sticking out in all directions. It’s late afternoon, and he feels energized after more than twelve hours of sleep. He’d sleep longer, if his traitorous stomach didn’t growl, asking for nourishment. He throws the covers aside, stretching.

Soonyoung doesn’t reply, clutching his head in his hands. “I have no idea how to edit videos.” He says in a haunted voice. Watching conspiracy theories certainly didn’t help; he has a splitting headache, because he now believes that the Bermuda Triangle is a black hole to Middle Earth (which he is curious about, isn’t it that place with the hobbits?), and he still doesn’t know what to do what to do with the footage in his cameras.

“You’ll figure it out.” Jihoon hops over to his bag, digging for a fresh change of clothes.

“I have two and a half days of footage.”

Jihoon is the least sympathetic person in the room, so he doesn’t say anything, locking himself in the bathroom instead.

Soonyoung lets out a frustrated scream, throwing his hands up.

“Soonie, if you want to shout, do it into your pillow.” Jihoon calls out from the shower. He hears muffled screams from the other room, so he senses that something is troubling his best friend. When he emerges from the bathroom, Soonyoung is faceplanted on his bed, throwing one of his rare silent tantrums. Jihoon takes a deep breath, preparing to console his best friend. He’s not the best at reading emotions, but Soonyoung would listen to him anyway.

“You know, you could’ve googled how to edit videos.” Jihoon walks over to the window, drying his damp blond hair with a towel.

Soonyoung stops screaming into his pillow and looks over at Jihoon. “I can do that?”

Admittedly, Jihoon spends more time on the internet (he learns everything he knows from WikiHow), but he doesn’t believe that Soonyoung doesn’t know the power of Google. Jihoon simply assumes that the thought never crosses Soonyoung’s mind, stopping himself short of slapping Soonyoung’s face with a lettuce.

“Or maybe you could use your connections to find someone who can help.” Jihoon suggests. The whole world is Soonyoung’s oyster, and he probably has befriended a million people by now.

Soonyoung sits up, looking at Jihoon with utter amazement in his eyes. “You’re a genius, Hoonie.”

“So I’ve been told.”

“You really are.”

“Someone give me the Nobel prize.” Jihoon smirks.

“So what do I do with the footage I have?”

“Keep it, until you figure out how to edit videos. Duh.”

Soonyoung smiles. “Thanks, Hoonie.”

“Can we go get food? I’m starving.” Jihoon abruptly changes the topic. Food is love, food is life, food keeps his tummy happy, and a happy tummy equals a happy Jihoon.  

Soonyoung doesn’t have to be asked twice; he immediately starts filming. “Soonie and Hoonie’s LA adventure, day 4: meokbang tour!”

Jihoon has no idea when and how Soonyoung plans their adventures: does he plan everything out in advance, or does he play it by ear? Armed with a camera, they’d visited a couple of places in the city, trying out Italian cuisine and American barbecue, with some room for dessert. Everything had gone smoothly like a dream: being served numerous dishes without having to worry about the final bill.

Somewhere in the middle of the food tour, Soonyoung begins a heated discussion about the Bermuda Triangle conspiracy he’d learned earlier, though Jihoon doesn’t believe any of it. He tries to convince Soonyoung otherwise, but somehow it turns into a debate about the existence of Bigfoot. By the end of the evening, Soonyoung vows to find (and probably befriend) Bigfoot with a spark of determination, and Jihoon sarcastically tells him to take a selfie with Bigfoot for proof.  

Eventually they make it back to the dorm before they pass out from a food stupor – Jihoon still can’t believe the tremendous amount of delicious food out here in the world. Why was he solely living off ramyeon back in Seoul, when there’s a variety of cuisines to sample in the world?

Jihoon’s lying on his bed, unable to move with a full stomach, while Soonyoung’s on the phone with someone, speaking loudly in English. Jihoon can comprehend a few words, and he thinks he gets the general gist of the conversation - he’s proud of the extent of his English skills. He sighs, and tunes out of Soonyoung’s conve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter