man in a movie

lee jihoon: swimming fool
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

chapter song: day 6's man in a movie

Jihoon tousled his strawberry pink hair – it had been five days, but he’s still not used to the outrageously bright colour. As usual, it had been Soonyoung’s brilliant plan…

“Can’t stand to see your lettuce hair.” Soonyoung said, as he slathered half a bottle of ketchup onto Jihoon’s scalp. The vlogger had traipsed the internet with Wonwoo, searching for a homemade remedy to fix Jihoon’s poor chlorine-stained blond hair. This seemed like the cheapest method to him, and he’d been able to get everything he needed for his temporary Jihoon salon at the grocery store.

“How is this even helping?” Jihoon asked, as a dollop of sauce trickled down the bridge of his nose.

“It’s science, Hoonie. Don’t question Einstein.” Soonyoung massaged Jihoon’s scalp, making sure the ketchup reached each strand of hair, right down to the roots on his best friend’s head.

Right after the ketchup massage, Soonyoung rinsed the gooey sauce off, then dumped Kool-Aid onto Jihoon’s head, and voila!

For a second, Soonyoung thought that he could become a hairdresser, when he judged the final result. Jihoon really suited the colour he’d randomly picked out at the store, because that was the flavour of Kool-Aid that was the most abundant. It made him look younger, more innocent, if only he could wipe that frown off his face…

Jihoon on the other hand, was ready to bury himself in his sheets and hide away from the world until his hair turned grey naturally, or at least until his original dark roots grew back out, however long that would take – no freaking way he was going to let the world, especially Seungcheol, see the atrocious colour his hair was.

Of all colours in the spectrum, Soonyoung had to pick pink. Barbie-bright pink. It looks like someone dumped a melted strawberry popsicle on his head; and over the days, everytime he takes a shower; the water going down the drain would be slightly pink, his dye job slowly fading away.

At least, he’s finished his new song. Jihoon’s sitting on the beach with his guitar, liking how the breeze carries his music far away. The surf lapping calmly against the shore provides an ambience in the atmosphere, as Jihoon strums and hums his latest composition. Despite feeling rusty in songwriting – it’s been years since he’d written a proper song – he thinks that it’s a stepping stone to reacquaint himself with it. The evening sun is gradually moving towards the horizon; the calm serenity sky stained with brilliant orange from the sun rays.

A handful of surfers are riding the waves in the distance, and it reminds Jihoon of Seungcheol, who’s been in Los Angeles for the past few days. Seungcheol hasn’t even seen Jihoon’s new dye job; that’s how long he’d been gone.

With Jerry, Seungcheol had gotten a spot as an extra on some B-list Hollywood movie. Familiar with the surfer’s acting aspirations, Jihoon hopes that it’ll finally be Seungcheol’s big break into showbiz, though a tiny part of him misses the surfer’s warm company, wishing that he’d be able to keep Seungcheol all to himself.

Jihoon’s been sitting on the beach for a while, trying to escape things at home – Soonyoung’s up to something, and he wants absolutely nothing to do with it. With no one (Wonwoo) to distract the vlogger, and in Seungcheol’s absence, Jihoon had been roped into misadventures with his best friend, all of which had been documented in video, stashed into Soonyoung’s hard drive. It had been a miracle for Jihoon to finish writing his song, especially under Soonyoung’s scrutiny, but he’d found ways to escape his best friend, changing his hiding spots daily, doing his best to finish his composition. Right now, Soonyoung is at home panicking about something Jihoon didn’t pay attention to – Soonyoung might’ve mentioned it ten million times every night at dinner, but it completely passed his mind.

Jihoon closes his eyes and let the music carry him away as he sings his self-written lyrics softly. Songwriting had always been his creative outlet, letting his feelings be shared with the world; a unique way to express himself, and he’s glad he never lost his touch.

Sitting on the sand, he imagines what it would’ve been like if he’d continued music after high school, instead of taking the safer – and more stressful, at least in his opinion – route in the world of business and finance.

Life would’ve been much, much different, and Jihoon wouldn’t be sitting here, singing songs he’d written about a certain surfer who crossed his mind more often that he’d imagined…

“Jihoonie!” Seungcheol’s voice infiltrates Jihoon’s mind; and his eyes pop open, angling his head in the direction where the sound came from. He’s definitely not imagining that – the familiar, deep tone belonging to the surfer feels so real.

And lo, there he is in all of his glory, approaching Jihoon like he’s in a freaking beach movie; Choi Seungcheol, in the flesh, wearing his usual board shorts and t-shirt and a bright smile especially for Jihoon.

It seems like one of those scenes in Those Romantic Movies – Seungcheol looks like he’s walking towards Jihoon in slow motion, the gentle sea breeze whipping through his hair, making it look effortlessly y, and they’d run to each other and hug and kiss passionately like they haven’t seen each other in years.

Only that Jihoon’s backside is imprinted firmly onto the sand, since he’s been sitting there for too long. So he just waits there for the older to come towards him, smiling, and admiring the view. Seungcheol’s back; and he’s happy. He’s ecstatic. He’s over the moon – it’s insane how Seungcheol’s presence could make him feel so much.

“I almost didn’t recognize you!” Seungcheol grins, all teeth and gums.

“Hi Seungcheol.” Jihoon smiles back shyly, positive that his face is a similar shade with his hair. The surfer sits right next to him, stretching himself comfortably.

Seungcheol reaches out to touch Jihoon’s strawberry hair. “It suits you. Really cute.”

Cute.

If it had been anyone else (read: Soonyoung) uttering that four-letter word, Jihoon would’ve murdered them, but Seungcheol makes the word sound like magic.

“So how was LA?” Jihoon asks, and Seungcheol immediately launches into a long-winded anecdote of his brief acting stint. Since Seungcheol and Jerry were only extras, they barely had scenes, and had to wait for about half a day until the director needed them on set. Jihoon thinks that Seungcheol (maybe Jerry, but definitely Seungcheol) could’ve gotten the lead just by his looks and qualifications; so to him, it was (biased) injustice that Seungcheol had y working hours. Jihoon smiles fondly at the surfer as he tells his story animatedly, adding all the little details. Just watching Seungcheol makes him feel contented – he loves the way the surfer turns into a happy child when he talks about the things he likes; smiles all gums, laughing without a care in the world.

People say, absence makes the heart grow fonder; and oh, how true it is – Jihoon’s never felt so overwhelmed with feelings: happiness, adoration, trepidation.

All that for a stupidly adorable surfer.

He listens intently to Seungcheol, loving the sound of the surfer’s voice he’d missed. Seungcheol could talk about things as dreary as the history of the colour yellow, and Jihoon would still listen to him and find it fascinating. Even the sound of the waves lapping against the shore nearby melts away as Jihoon focuses on nothing but Seungcheol. 

“HOONIE! HELP!” Soonyoung screams from the house, his pitiful voice so loud it echoes across the ocean. Seungcheol stops his anecdote and looks back at the house, a concerned expression on his face. Jihoon blinks back into reality when he realises that Seungcheol’s stopped talking, barely hearing Soonyoung’s anguished cries; he’d been concentrating on Seungcheol’s presence instead. 

Jihoon knows that Soonyoung probably needs his help for something petty, like tying his shoelaces (which Soonyoung claims, is difficult at times, especially when the laces aren’t of the same length) or he’s gotten stuck somewhere, and needs Jihoon to free him. Jihoon’s about to ignore Soonyoung, pretending like nothing’s happened when Soonyoung calls out for him again, sounding even more desperate than the first time.

“I think Soonyoung needs your help.” Seungcheol says quietly.

With a sigh, Jihoon gets to his feet - almost toppling over, since he’d been sitting down for too long, but Seungcheol manages to hold onto his arm to prevent him from falling. Jihoon turns as pink as his hair at that unexpected little blunder, then grabs his guitar, before marching up the beach back to the house with Seungcheol trailing closely behind him.

Just as the pair enter the house, the doorbell rings. “i’ll get that. You go look for Soon.” Seungcheol says, taking Jihoon’s guitar from him and puts it aside. Jihoon wishes it could’ve been the other way around, since he doesn’t feel like entertaining Soonyoung, but his best friend calls out for him again. Seungcheol’s already opening the front door for their guest, whoever it is; so Jihoon bolts up the stairs, taking two at a time.

Jihoon finds Soonyoung in his room, all dressed up in a stylish suit; but struggling with his bowtie. Taking a deep breath, Jihoon calmly enters the room, and sits on the edge of Soonyoung’s bed, watching his best friend choke himself with the tiny garment. Jihoon has no idea how to tie a bowtie himself, why couldn’t Soonyoung get one of those clip-ons instead? (Of course, it has a garish design too, the red colour popping out against Soonyoung’s dark suit). The vlogger is on the verge of tears when he finally gives up, turning to Jihoon. “Are you just gonna sit there and not help your own best friend who desperately needs your help?” Soonyoung’s clearly distressed, talking in circles.

“I’d film you, if I could.” Jihoon deadpans, finding the whole situation funny instead. Soonyoung’s probably got something going on tonight, since he’s all dressed up, but Jihoon can’t bother to ask. It’s probably something important, since Soonyoung’s extremely nervous - he’s already sweating bullets even though he’s still getting ready.

Soonyoung makes an annoyed face and continues to tug on the bowtie, twisting it in every way around his neck so that it doesn’t fall off. “Wonwoo’s gonna be here any second, and I’m not even ready yet. I’m so nervous, Hoonie.”

“Wonwoo’s already here.” Jihoon says teasingly, assuming that their visitor downstairs is Wonwoo.

“Soon, Wonwoo’s here!” Seungcheol yells up the stairs as if on cue, and Soonyoung visibly turns paler. He smashes his face into the nearest pillow and screams into it; and Jihoon watches him with an amused expression, wishing that he could take a video.

Soonyoung stops screaming and sits up, glancing at his best friend. “Go in my place, Hoonie. He won’t notice, because we look alike. I’m gonna puke I’m so nervous.”

Jihoon finally remembers that Soonyoung and Wonwoo are going to Wonwoo’s movie premiere. Wonwoo had worked really hard on that movie; spending days apart from Soonyoung, and now Soonyoung has the honour of walking down the red carpet with him. It’s still quite early, but the drive to LA takes a while, and they’ve also got a dinner reservation prior to the premiere at an exclusive restuarant serving the best steaks this side of the West Coast.

Wonwoo might not have explicitly said it, but his actions clearly show it - he’s out to woo Soonyoung, and Jihoon doesn’t mind one bit. He’s glad, even, since Wonwoo is the only person who can keep his best friend grounded. Things are always much calmer when Wonwoo’s around Soonyoung, and Jihoon’s grateful for that. 

Jihoon thinks it’s cute that Soonyoung and Wonwoo’s first date is going to be at a movie premiere. He knows Soonyoung would love it, soaking in all the glitz and glamour; and he’d probably chase the lead actor down the carpet for an autograph, armed with a camera.

But next to him, Soonyoung’s hyperventilating; worrying for the date ahead.

“I can’t tie this stupid bowtie and Won-won’s already here. We’re gonna be late for dinner and late for the premiere and he’s gonna hate me forever and what if I hate the movie?” Soonyoung’s thinking out loud; and negative thoughts are clouding his brain. Jihoon needs to shake some sense into his best friend, so he grips Soonyoung’s shoulders and literally shakes him out of his funk.

Jihoon grabs the red bowtie hanging loosely from Soonyoung’s neck and tosses it aside; then s the top few buttons of his slightly creased black shirt. He even pushes Soonyoung’s bangs back, but it flops back over his forehead in a slightly messy style. Even Soonyoung’s bangs are wild like Soonyoung himself, so Jihoon leaves it at that.

“There. Better.” For a brief moment, Jihoon thinks that he should become a Hollywood stylist – but really, he can’t be bothered with fashion, so he scratches that idea. Soonyoung gets up and stares at his reflection in the mirror - the ed shirt exposes a bit of his collarbones; giving off a casual air from his formal look. A smile creeps onto his face; mochi cheeks back in full force. Jihoon doesn’t have to say much; but his actions meant a lot - Soonyoung knows that this is Jihoon’s silent way of telling him to chin up and think positively. Soonyoung drags Jihoon into a bear hug, thanking him for saving his life; even though Jihoon barely did anything but mess up his outfit.

Meanwhile, Wonwoo is fidgeting in the hallway downstairs, pulling on his tie. Seungcheol has absolutely no idea what’s going on, being away from Malibu for a while, but he gets the picture that Wonwoo is here to pick Soonyoung up - are they going on a date? He’s all dressed up in a suit and tie, and Seungcheol wants to ask; but Wonwoo looks distracted enough. He’s glancing too many times at the stairs, hoping that Soonyoung would appear - but not now though, he’s not ready yet. He’d waited about ten minutes outside before pressing the doorbell, and was partly relieved to see Seungcheol opening the door. It’s been a while since his last date...a really long while; and he’s got elephants stomping around in his stomach.

“Do you think it’s too much?” The room feels stuffy, and Wonwoo’s fingers are trembling as he tightens the knot of his tie, almost choking himself.

“Well, I think it’s better if you loosen it a bit.” Seungcheol suggests gently; slightly alarmed because Wonwoo looks like he’s asphyxiating. Wonwoo follows the suggestion, yanking his tie right down to chest level.

Seungcheol just smiles patiently - he’d be nervous too, if he were going on a date with someone he really likes (read: Jihoon). “Maybe that’s a bit casual, but it kinda works….”

Wonwoo’s barely listening; blinking profusely. “My eyeballs feel like they’re gonna fall out.” He’d ditched his glasses for contacts especially for that night – Seungcheol almost didn’t recognise him without the spectacles when he opened the door. There’s a mirror in the hallway, and Wonwoo strides over, checking his eyes to make sure that his contacts are intact. They are, but he pokes them a bit more - what if they suddenly slip off? He’d be blind for the night, and that can’t happen. Wonwoo wants - needs - tonight to be perfect. He needs to calm down, but his palms are sweaty and his heart is going out of control -

“Wonwoo.” Soonyoung calls out from the top of the stairs.

Wonwoo stops poking his eye and turns slowly towards Soonyoung, who’s descending the stairs with a smile on his face.  Suddenly, everything else in the world doesn’t matter anymore, except for Soonyoung. He’s wearing a dark suit that fits him perfectly (yes, Soonyoung brings around one (1) suit with him in his backpack when he’s travelling the world); the top few buttons of the black shirt he’s wearing underneath his jacket ed in a cool manner.

For someone who Wonwoo has always seen wearing T-shirts and shorts, Soonyoung cleans up pretty well in a suit, even though he’s still wearing his ratty sneakers with them, which makes him look even cooler. Did he do something with his hair, too?  Doesn’t matter, because Wonwoo would think Soonyoung would look cute even if he’s bald…

Wonwoo feels overdressed wearing his tie, and thinks about ripping it off; but Soonyoung casually walks up to him and fixes it, adjusting it so it rests just slightly under his collar - not too tight, but just right. Wonwoo smiles fondly at Soonyoung; his familiar presence calming him down. He hasn’t seen Soonyoung in a while, busy with work, and he’s glad that he’d invited Soonyoung to attend the premiere with him. The movie’s speculated to hit box office upon its release, and Wonwoo finds that expectation to be a burden for him. But he knows, with Soonyoung’s reassuring presence by his side, everything would somehow turn out just right.

Meanwhile, Jihoon, who’d followed Soonyoung downstairs, is filming everything with his best friend’s camera, keeping Seungcheol in the loop, who nods in understanding as he listens in awe. A movie premiere as a first date is a bit impressive, Seungcheol thinks - he’s a tad bit jealous he can’t go to one of those things...but he knows, Wonwoo’s been working hard, and he deserves this moment - how nice of him to share it with Soonyoung. Maybe if he was a successful actor, Seungcheol would definitely take Jihoon along to movie premieres, too, but his heart ached slightly at the thought of a dream that seems out of reach...

The whole scene reminds Seungcheol of Those Teen Movies where the kids dress up nicely and go to prom, and the parents send them off, snapping photos beforehand. The only thing that’s missing are boutonnieres for Soonyoung and Wonwoo to pin onto each other’s jackets; but they aren’t teens going to prom, and those would be too much for a glamorous Hollywood movie premiere! Soonyoung’s done fixing Wonwoo’s tie; now he’s dusting some lint off Wonwoo’s shoulder while Jihoon’s still filming it all, cringing internally at all the cheesiness.

“So what time will you guys be back?” Seungcheol can’t help but sound like a concerned father.

“We’ll be staying in the city overnight.” Wonwoo says. He’d planned it all - they’d be crashing at Chan the intern’s place if the premiere ends late, which is most likely, thanks to LA traffic and Hollywood timing. Soonyoung had excitedly packed an overnight bag last week, which is already sitting by the door (Jihoon’s tripped over that bloody bag too many times over the past few days).

“‘Kay. see you guys.” Jihoon’s eager to be rid of Soonyoung after spending a whole week with him; and he tries to hand the camera over to his best friend, who ignores him, grinning madly at Wonwoo.

Jihoon awkwardly holds the device in his hands, being snubbed by Soonyoung, and steps backwards, out of their little bubble; knowing that he might interrupt something between those two.

“You look different without your glasses.” Soonyoung says softly. “I can see your eyes better.”

Wonwoo knows this fact himself, but he’s practically blind without his spectacles, and contacts are a bit of a hassle for him sometimes; but if Soonyoung likes it, he’ll wear them forever, even if it makes his eyes dry up like prunes.

“We’ll be leaving now.” Wonwoo smiles to Seungcheol and Jihoon, almost like waiting for a blessing from them to take Soonyoung away. Seungcheol nods, standing behind Jihoon – looking like proud prom parents in Those Teen Movies.

Wonwoo places a hand on Soonyoung’s back, taking his bag and leading him out the front door.

“Take care, guys. Enjoy the movie!” Seungcheol adds, following them to the front porch, waving like he’s sending his own son off.

Wonwoo unlocks his car, which parked by the kerb, with a beep. He opens the passenger door for Soonyoung, who slides in excitedly.

He puts Soonyoung’s bag in the boot, then ignites the engine, driving off towards the big city; leaving Seungcheol and Jihoon alone in the rented beach house. 

Seungcheol gazes at Jihoon, who’s weighing Soonyoung’s camera in his hands. Soonyoung leaving his most precious possession, which would always be glued to his hands; says volumes about how he feels about Wonwoo, that’s for sure. At least, that’s what Jihoon thinks.

“So you wanna watch a movie or something?” Seungcheol invites himself to hang out with Jihoon for the rest of the evening, knowing that the younger probably doesn’t have plans if Soonyoung’s not around.

Jihoon smiles back at the surfer - it’s like their own little date. It’s not a movie premiere, but he still gets time to hang out with Seungcheol, and that’s the most important thing. “Sounds good.”

The drive to LA takes a while, since there are a lot of cars on the road. The sky gets darker, and streetlights flicker on, illuminating the roads to the city. Wonwoo drives carefully, the speakers playing songs off his favourite playlist, which Soonyoung hums to. 

They’ve barely said a word to each other, which is unusual, because normally Soonyoung would be talking non-stop until his teeth fall off. Not tonight, because Soonyoung is too fixated on the lanky man who’s driving. He gazes at Wonwoo, appreciating his sharp features – his side profile looking perfectly sculpted, from the slope of his nose to his angular jawline. His eyes are a bit cat-like, free of glasses, and Soonyoung thinks that Wonwoo could pass for the lead actor when they walk down the red carpet later.

Maybe it’s the lowlights, casting shadows over Wonwoo’s features, accentuating them. Maybe it’s the fitted suit, or even the hint of musk that Wonwoo’s wearing. Soonyoung leans in closer to smell it, while Wonwoo tries his best to focus on the road – no, Soonyoung trying to smell his neck isn’t a distraction.

Soonyoung smiles to himself – the fact that Wonwoo made an effort for this occasion flattered him. For someone who practically lives in hoodies even though he’s in Southern California, Wonwoo cleans up well, and Soonyoung likes it. A whole lot.

“You look really nice.” Soonyoung blurts out for the nth time, sounding like an excited fanboy.

“You too, Soon.” Wonwoo smiles coolly, chancing a quick glance at the man wiggling restlessly in the passenger seat.

Soonyoung laughs nervously – compliments are the only semblance of a conversation they’ve had this evening. There’s so many other things Soonyoung wants to tell Wonwoo, but seeing this other side of him – the cool, handsome, actor-like type – makes his tongue all tied up, leaving so many words left unsaid.

“Oh, this is my favourite.” Wonwoo reaches over to increase the volume on the stereo, and the first few sentimental notes of a song trickles out of the speakers. Soonyoung smiles, immediately recognising the song.

They sing along to Lee Dokyeom’s latest song, and Soonyoung’s impressed when Wonwoo nails a high note, in perfect harmony with the singer.

Wonwoo can sing really well, and it makes Soonyoung wonder if he sings in the shower.  

Just when Wonwoo thinks they’re going to make it on time for their dinner reservation – driving from Malibu to LA had been smooth - they immediately get stuck in a traffic jam, a standstill of cars going nowhere. Soonyoung can sense Wonwoo getting agitated as their car moves about an inch every five minutes, so he shuffles songs on the playlist that he knows Wonwoo would like, and they sit in the car, singing to whatever’s playing on the stereo. Eventually, Wonwoo starts getting distracted by his own thoughts, tapping impatiently on the steering wheel, willing the cars in front of them to move so they could all get to their destination soon.

The traffic heading to the Los Angeles city centre is madness, and they’re going to miss their dinner reservation that Wonwoo had made at one of the swankiest restuarants in town. Chan’s already calling Wonwoo; his phone buzzing madly in his pocket. Apparently, the film staff have to be there before the stars show up because the paparazzi doesn’t want to take photos of people who work behind the scenes. Wonwoo already knows they’re late, and he doesn’t need Chan to remind him, besides, would it make a difference if he walked down the red carpet right behind Chris Hemsworth?  

Wonwoo finally manages to answer Chan’s calls at a red light; assuring the intern that they’ll arrive soon. He checks his watch - they’re already forty minutes late for dinner; and their reserved table probably has been given to other waiting patrons.

There goes his chance of impressing Soonyoung at dinner…

“Soon, I’m sorry. We’ve got to get to the theatre now.” Wonwoo says when he concludes his phone call. He feels bad for skipping dinner: Soonyoung’s always been the one buying him food all this while, and now he wants to return the favour. The reservation he’d made was at one of the best restaurants that served high quality steaks, cooked to perfection. Wonwoo had been looking forward to seeing Soonyoung’s reaction, hoping that the vlogger would be impressed by the expensive cuisine, but that would probably never happen now.

“S’okay. We can always get food after.” Soonyoung says, chipper. But his stomach rumbles at that very moment - he hadn’t been able to eat all day; nerves had been getting to him. He turns red, sure that Wonwoo and the people in the next car couldn’t have missed that sound. “Did you hear thunder?” Soonyoung tries to make a joke out of it, but Wonwoo barely cracks a smile.

“I’m just so sorry Soonyoung.” Wonwoo mutters, feeling even more guilty, now that Soonyoung’s probably going to starve because of him. Those squishy mochi cheeks gone…he can’t bear the thought of that; so he pushes it to the back of his mind and turns his focus back to the road. He’s trying to cut through three

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter