movies aren't magic and so is life

lee jihoon: swimming fool
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonwoo knows it’s a mistake agreeing to Soonyoung, but food is food, and food is love, and he’d been working hard all morning on the requested video. He doesn’t tell Soonyoung that he’d actually finished compiling the second video, otherwise, he’d still be stuck in the house until tomorrow, possibly.

Soonyoung had offered to drive, all the way from Malibu back to the City of Angels. Of course, Wonwoo had tried to decline, thinking that they’d go for lunch in the little surf town before he leaves Soonyoung to go to work, but Soonyoung is as persistent than ever.

“How am I going to get back?” Wonwoo mutters, strapping himself in the passenger seat of Soonyoung’s blue Audi. Uber or a cab would cost him a lot – he’d walked over to Soonyoung’s that morning, and in retrospect, he should have driven the three blocks that separated their houses so that he could’ve escaped easily, but no, he just had to be healthy and walk over. Now he’s in a bind, and he doesn’t know how to get out of it; but on the flip side, he’s saving money on petrol, and getting free food out of it, anyway…  

“I’ll hang around LA with you! I’ve really got nothing else to do, and I don’t know when Hoonie will get back.” Soonyoung smiles so widely that his eyes disappear.

Of all the ideas in the world, that’s the worst one Wonwoo’s ever heard. Wonwoo really doesn’t want to babysit Soonyoung for the rest of the day; and he doesn’t need the human hamster shadowing him around while he works. Besides, it would be a pain to explain to his colleagues about Soonyoung – it’s not Take a Stranger to Work Day!

Soonyoung’s practically speeding on the freeway, and they arrive in the city about forty minutes later. Back in the bustling city, a contrast to the sleepy surfer town of Malibu, Wonwoo lives for the glamorous, fast-paced lifestyle of the Angelinos. Maybe he should move to New York next, but job opportunities are scarce even for someone at his level, even if he’s incredibly talented.

Wonwoo’s not listening to Soonyoung, who’s been talking the whole way as he drives – he’s really anxious about dragging the vlogger around the studio that he’s working at. Negative thoughts cloud his brain as he follows Soonyoung into a restaurant packed with people – it’s lunchtime, after all – and sits down across the vlogger like an automaton who’s more worried about the person in front of him, rather than the problem that pulled him back to work in the first place.

But at the sight of food, he forgets all of his concerns and simply digs into the steak-frites Soonyoung had ordered for him. The vlogger grins, watching Wonwoo devour the meat like he’d been deprived of it for years.

Wonwoo realises that Soonyoung’s watching him eat, so he takes conscious, smaller bites, wiping sauce off his chin.

“Food’s good?”

Wonwoo nods. It’s exactly the kind of food he likes – high quality meat, and a bit of carbs and veg on the side. The tenderness of the steak, doused with the rich taste of its sauce produces an explosion of flavours on Wonwoo’s tongue, and he doesn’t have the words to describe it. All that he knows is that it’s a far cry from the processed food he’s been consuming to survive lately, and he appreciates it. 

“So. Where do you work?” Soonyoung asks conversationally.

“I choose not to answer that.” Wonwoo replies.

Soonyoung taps his chin lightly with his fork, deep in thought. “Are you a spy? Like James Bond?”

“No!” Wonwoo chokes on his fries. He quickly gulps down his drink to ease the food bolus down his throat. “Nothing like that.”

“I won’t be surprised if you are. You seem pretty good with computers, like you can maybe hack…”

Wonwoo doesn’t have the heart to pop Soonyoung’s bubble – he’s only good with video editing software, and has absolutely no idea how to hack – hell, he can’t even figure out his little brother’s computer password!

“And you have that kind of spy vibe, maybe if you wore a suit then it’ll all be real.” Soonyoung grins. “Wait. Are you spying on me for someone? Did Hoonie send you?” A sudden barrage of thoughts pop into the vlogger’s imaginative mind. “Or are you spying on Hoonie, and you’re trying to get to him through me?” Soonyoung narrows his eyes that they almost disappear, trying to arouse false suspicion.

“Soonyoung. I’m not a spy.”   

“That’s what all the spies say.”

“Eat your food.” Wonwoo tries to distract Soonyoung, pointing to his juicy steak with his knife.

Soonyoung snorts. “If I do, I’ll let my guard down, then there’ll be an explosion somewhere; and then you’ll start shooting.”

The waiter serving the next table looks at Soonyoung in alarm. Wonwoo notices this, and hurriedly grabs Soonyoung’s hand. “I’m really not a spy, but I’ll show you where I work later, okay?”

The vlogger grips Wonwoo’s hand tightly. “Can you give me a hint?”

“It has something to do with movies.” Wonwoo quickly pulls his hand away, leaning back in his seat. He wonders how dense Soonyoung can be – the guy has his business card, after all, that’s how they’d gotten into contact in the first place. And neatly printed on that card is his exact job description: video editor and cinematographer. Unless Soonyoung can’t read, surely he has an idea of what Wonwoo’s job is, considering all the video editing he’d done for him for the past few days?

Soonyoung’s jaw drops to the floor in amazement at the revelation. He certainly did not expect that from the bookish man sitting in front of him – he’d fully convinced himself that Wonwoo’s working for a secret government agency, thinking that the job description on Wonwoo’s business card is just a front. A million thoughts run through his head; he has even more questions for Wonwoo, but for once, his mouth can’t keep up with his brain.

“Now can I eat my steak in peace?” A smirk creeps onto Wonwoo’s face – if this was what it takes to shut the vlogger up, he should’ve done it earlier.

Soonyoung doesn’t say anything anymore throughout lunch, and Wonwoo enjoys the comfortable silence.

Wonwoo adjusts his sweater as he exits Soonyoung’s car. It had been a nice lunch, he had to admit – the food was brilliant, and Soonyoung became really quiet towards the end. Wonwoo appreciates quietness – it gives him space to think; but now, after that silent bout, Wonwoo knows that Soonyoung is going to be really loud for the next few hours, judging from the exclamations that escaped the vlogger’s lips once they reached grand gates of the movie studio that Wonwoo directed him to.

Soonyoung is bug-eyed, taking in the atmosphere of his surroundings. There are a lot of low buildings – filming studios – yet there’s barely anyone around, only the occasional golf cart carrying tourists around for a studio tour. The two of them are in a restricted area where only staff is allowed, and Wonwoo had to make a visitor pass for Soonyoung at the main gate. Of course, there are miniature palm trees everywhere, and Soonyoung sniffs the air. It smells like stale doughnuts and spray paint.

“Will I see a movie star?” Soonyoung’s eyes are sparkling as he glances over to Wonwoo.

“Nah, probably not. C’mon, I’m almost late.” Wonwoo says, shouldering his backpack.

Soonyoung hurries to the boot of his car, pulling out his own huge backpack. “Can I film?”

“Good luck with that.” Wonwoo doesn’t stop him. It’s not his responsibility if Soonyoung gets caught, anyway, besides, what is there to film at a movie studio? Wonwoo’s too jaded to see Soonyoung’s excitement, who quickly delves into his backpack for a camcorder and begins filming himself.

“It’s Soonyoung, and I’m filming from a legitimate movie studio! I’m back in LA, in A MOVIE STUDIO.” He pans over, making sure that his bespectacled companion is also onscreen.

“Don’t get me in the frame.” Wonwoo ducks and tries to cover the lens.

“Nah, you can just pixelate yourself later.” Soonyoung says, swatting Wonwoo’s hand away; with the camera still pointed at him.

“I’ll be late, let’s go.” Wonwoo hurries into the nearest building, the tallest among the others. It’s the main office building of the movie studio, where the actual movie magic happens – post-production is the most important stage of making movies where filmed scenes are edited and cut into the final reel that reaches the box office.

Soonyoung tails after Wonwoo, excitedly firing off quest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter