catch your wave, then drift away

lee jihoon: swimming fool
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  TRIGGER WARNING: DROWNING

Jihoon is actually going to surf today. Even with his lack of swimming skills – which his hot-as-hell instructor doesn’t know of – how did he get into this whole mess, anyway? The ocean seems like ten miles away, and every step that he takes towards it makes him shudder with dread.

Deep breaths. The water is lava the water is lava the water is lava.

He’d paddled around on the white water a couple of days ago, and it didn’t cause him any harm – in fact, he barely got wet. Besides, why would he keep practicing his popups if he wasn’t going to use them?

Jihoon hopes his surfing skills outweighs his swimming skills. He’s more nervous today, under Soonyoung’s peer pressure, and Wonwoo, who’s filming; but another reassuring smile from Seungcheol eases him as he walks down to the water with his board tucked under his arm.

“Remember what I taught you, Jihoon. And if anything happens, don’t panic – and have fun!” Seungcheol’s already ankle-deep in the water. “I’ll be watching out for you. Don’t worry.”

Someone cheers loudly from the shore – it’s Jerry, jumping up and down like a madman – it seems like he’d trusted Thomas to care for his shop while he witnesses a golden moment in history. “Water looks good, guys!”

“Looks a bit choppy to me.” Jihoon mutters, setting his board on the surface of the water as he wades in slowly, after making sure that his foot leash is secure. The waves roll into the shore, dissolving into ticklish foam as they pull back. The water’s a bit cold in contrast to the golden warm sand; and the late afternoon sun beats down on the back of his neck.

Jihoon wades cautiously further into the sea; while Seungcheol’s already sitting comfortably on his board in the middle of the ocean.

“Isn’t it too deep over there?” Jihoon calls out – he’s already knee-deep into the water, the deepest that he’s ever been. He grips one hand tightly onto his board that’s right next to him, trying to judge the distance between him and Seungcheol, who seems like he’s a mile away. How did he get out there so fast?

“The best waves don’t break this close to the shore, blondie!” Jerry calls out – he’d joined Soonyoung and Wonwoo by the teeth of the water.

“Get on your board, Jihoon; then paddle out here. It’s fine.” Seungcheol says.

Jihoon tries to push himself onto his board, almost tipping the board over, losing his balance.

“Careful, Hoonie!” Soonyoung shouts, his voice echoing across the ocean.

Jihoon hopes that the three idiots on the shore would get distracted by a seagull or something; he doesn’t need their input. Even though Wonwoo’s silent, he’s still filming; and Jihoon doesn’t need that kind of pressure.

Another try, and Jihoon nails it; hauling a leg over his board. Trials and tribulations, before success. Seungcheol’s already waiting in the open water, so Jihoon lies down and paddles over to him. Left , right , fluid movements; as he cuts through the water smoothly, heading towards Seungcheol.

The water is lava the water is lava the water is lava.

“You good?” The surfer asks once he makes it.

“Yeah.” Jihoon breathes, still lying flat on his board – he thinks that his lower centre of gravity would lessen the risk of him falling into the water; which looks as deep as the Marianas Trench.  

“Here, we’re only waist-deep in the water,” Seungcheol explains, contradicting Jihoon’s thoughts about the depth of the sea. “You can sit up for a while, ‘cause I’m going to teach you how to spot the perfect waves.”

Jihoon complies, slowly rising from his lying position on his board, still careful with his movements; and his racing heart (he’s sure that it’s because of the trepidation of being around water, and not as an effect from his surf instructor) certainly isn’t helping. Seungcheol launches into a lecture, gesturing out to sea to emphasise his points; but Jihoon barely registers his deep voice because all he can think about is the vast body of water surrounding him.

“There’s a lot of waves today.” Jihoon mentions, as he clutches the sides of his surfboard tightly. A hint of a wave rolls under him, before it gains more energy as it reaches the shore, growing and growing before breaking down into foamy water that calmy lap against the shore. The water’s a bit turbulent for his liking, as they both bob up and down on the water surface every time a wave passes by. Jihoon doesn’t feel safe on his board, thinking that he can topple into the water anytime.

“It’s perfect.” Seungcheol smiles, enjoying every bit. “Need me to recap what I’ve said?”

Jihoon nods, feeling slightly bad that he’s not paying attention to the surfer. His mind is filled with too many thoughts, and that somehow blocks all his surroundings – he’s thinking about absolutely nothing.

“You pick a vantage point, and make sure that you have a reference point so that you know how far out you are,” Seungcheol says. “Make sure there aren’t any other surfers around, remember, it’s rude to drop into someone else’s wave.”

Jihoon nods, realising that Seungcheol is watching him.

“When you think you’re ready and in the right spot, turn your board around and face the shore, like this,” Seungcheol demonstrates, kicking his legs in a circular motion, much like an egg beater; turning his board 180degrees to see Soonyoung and Jerry watching them, with Wonwoo filming on the shore. He waves at them briefly, as Jihoon tucks in the new technique into his little brain – maybe he could stall and ask another session by saying that he needed to practice turning his board, though he’d have to do it in the water.

“Then, before the wave approaches, you paddle as hard as possible to match its momentum, and at the right moment, you’ll know when to pop up and ride the wave to its end.”

Jihoon visualises Jerry surfing the other day, with Seungcheol narrating each technique; and realises that he’s never seen Seungcheol surf.

“Oh yeah, and don’t be too stiff,” For some reason, Jihoon quickly glances at his crotch – “Just relax, okay? I’m here. Don’t worry.” Seungcheol smiles at him reassuringly, complete with dimples.

“Could you, uh, show me a trial run?” Jihoon asks, his ears burning red.  

Seungcheol grins widely, as if pleased with the request. “No problem. Stay here.”

“I’m not going anywhere!” Jihoon says in a high voice, laughing nervously, though he has half a mind to paddle back to shore, run back home and hide under his covers for the next three months.

Seungcheol immediately switches into surfer mode; his eyes focusing out onto the open sea. His easy-going smile is gone, replaced by a serious expression, like what Jihoon wears when he’s focused on balancing company Y’s accounts back at his stuffy job.

“I’m off.” The surfer flops down onto his stomach and starts paddling out into the open water. His mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter