A fragment of truth

4 Weeks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kuanlin scanned the rest of the notes inside the blue journal owned by Park Jihoon. There are chinese characters mixed in there, some of the words familiar to Kuanlin as he saw Park Jihoon write them down, and some completely random, dancing with unfathomable korean writings.

He traced the word ‘Harmony’ in the page. That was the first word Kuanlin taught his hyung. A dried teardrop blotched some of the ink in the same page. Kuanlin felt his heart being squeezed. He felt his knees go weak as he sank to the floor in pain. He missed Park Jihoon so much. And now he’s pretty sure his hyung felt the same, seeing his hyung’s tears marking the pages was all the proof Kuanlin needed. 

He turned to the next page. He saw another english phrase that read 

“All I wanna do.” 

Below the phrase was a drawing of eleven boys, carrying square signs with letters. The letters form the word “Wannaone.”

Kuanlin had enough mysteries to solve for now. He placed a mental note to store these keywords in the back of his head for later. He heard his father’s footsteps nearing. 

“Son, I just received a call from my friend in the capital. Looks like the trip is cancelled.” Kuanlin’s jaw slackened at the news. He tried to hide his disappointment and quickly thought of other ways to find the much-needed translation books. But before he could even think of anything, his farther continued,

“I don't need to travel anymore. My friend is coming to town instead. He’ll probably be here next week.” 

Although Kuanlin was disheartened at the loss of access to his chance to move closer to knowing the truth and finding his hyung, he was genuinely happy for his old man. His dad never spoke so highly of his other friends in far places except for Mr. Hwang who helped Kuanlin’s father start this business.

“That's great dad! I’ll cover longer shifts so you could show him around.” Kuanlin took some records from the storage room to help hide the journal as he and his father walked back to the main shop.

“Thanks son. I appreciate it. I haven't seen my buddy in a long time. This will be good.” Kaunlin could hear the excitement in his father's voice.

The next few days have been uneventful except for the preparations they did for the arrival of the famous businessman. Kuanlin helped around in tidying up the store.

The shops near Kuanlin’s family store were also putting their best foot forward for better impression. The street was practically buzzing. 

Kuanlin went with his dad to wait for their guest at the airport. 

Everybody was expecting Mr. Hwang but nobody expected to see his only son and heir to be visiting with him. The successful father and son made local headlines the moment they arrived. 

Kuanlin’s father beamed the moment he saw his old friend. Kuanlin couldn't help but admire the approaching guests. Mr. Hwang and his son looked so cool. They were both wearing very expensive-looking casual clothes.

Kuanlin watched as Mr. Hwang and Kuanlin’s dad exchanged hugs. Kuanlin offered a hand in greeting after he exchanged bows with the son of his father's friend. Kuanlin was expecting a handshake but he was caught off guard when the visitor’s son suddenly pulled him for a tight hug resembling their old men.

“I'm Minhyun, Hwang Minhyun.” The stranger introduced himself eagerly, not letting go of Kuanlin’s hand even after shaking it vigorously.
Kuanlin felt shy but grateful that his father met such kind people.

“Right. Your son is just a few years older than mine. This is Kuanlin.” Kuanlin’s dad told his friend. Kuanlin smiled and tried to pull his hand free but Minhyun was still grasping it firmly. He looked at Minhyun and was surprised to see that the visitor’s eyes were close to tearing up. Kuanlin pretended not to notice out of courtesy.

During the ride back to Kuanlin’s hometown, he caught Minhyun staring longingly at him many times. He tried asking Minhyun if there was any problem but the older guy just smiled and shook his head. Kuanlin couldn't shake the familiar feeling that’s making its way down to his gut. 
Kuanlin and his dad took them to the nearby inn and helped them unload their belongings.

Mr. Hwang insisted they go look around, waving off every attempt of Kuanlin’s dad to make them rest.

“Can I talk to you for a minute?” Kuanlin heard Minhyun say the second their parents left the room.

“Yeah sure.” Kuanlin replied.

“I don't know where to begin, though.” Minhyun said, scratching his nose, catching a tear that escaped. Kuanlin had noticed but didn't mention that he knew Minhyun has been holding back tears from the moment they met.

“You have been acting really weird.” Kuanlin said and laughed a bit to ease the tension as they sat on the floor.

“I know, I know.” Minhyun laughed too.

“Is there a chance that you might...” Kuanlin started but hesitated to continue. He’s been having the feeling that this encounter felt very similar to how he met Jisung, but of course, it's still impossible.
There's no way he could be connected to Park Jihoon.

“How old are you?” Kuanlin asked just to begin a conversation. 

“I’m... I’m your hyung too.” Minhyun spoke and sparked tears in Kuanlin’s eyes. 
Kuanlin took in a sharp breath and felt his insides quiver. Kuanlin does not understand how everything works but all he knows is that, he may have friends he didn't remember meeting. Park Jihoon and Jisung were two of them.

“Hyung?” Kuanlin echoed, his feelings inside were a jumble of astonishment, happiness, and at the same time a profound sense of longing.

“Everyone is older than you. So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter