Finally

4 Weeks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kuanlin has never been this scared before. He has never experienced anything as terrifying as losing all of his senses at once. It was excruciatingly terrible. As the numbness began creeping from his toes slowly moving up to his knees, Kuanlin wanted to drag his fingernails against the wall because the feeling was churning his stomach, making him want to run and escape his own body. It was terrifying and he was breaking out in a cold sweat.

But his hyung, Minhyun, was holding his hand the whole time, comforting him with words of encouragement.

“Kuanlin-ah, try to follow a rhythm as you breathe. It will be over in just a second, I promise.”

Kuanlin held onto Minhyun’s hand as the numbness swallowed his lower half. Kuanlin tried his best to keep calm by thinking of Park Jihoon.

 

Jihoon-hyung has been through this a million times. Get your sh together, Lai Kuanlin. You will see him soon. 

 

Kuanlin swallowed but then he felt his stomach disappear. The feeling crept up to his throat and as he blinked for the last time, he lost everything. 

For one second that lasted like an eternity, Kuanlin floated in nothingness. He didn't know how disconcerting it would be to be aware without feeling, seeing, hearing, smelling anything. He was just a being without really existing.

But when he regained control over his muscles, it was like he never lost it all. He couldn't even remember how just a second ago, he was blind, because everything returned as quickly as possible: he wiggled his toes, tightened his hold of Minhyun’s hand, and shook his head. It was literally over in another blink. He felt silly for being scared in the beginning.

He sat up and stared at Minhyun still lying on the floor beside him. It looked like Minhyun was still going through the process of ‘Freezing’. 

The older guy was lying flat on the floor, his arms resting by his side. He was still holding onto Kuanlin’s hand, his face free of any worries. Minhyun was a picture of peace.

Then Kuanlin saw how he became transparent for a second, with light shining throughout his body from under his skin, like the reflection of water. It was like Minhyun’s blood had transformed into the silver fluid Kuanlin had injected on him earlier. The flowing liquid beneath Minhyun’s skin glowed brightly once before dimming out and disappearing, as if nothing happened. A second later, Minhyun’s complexion has regained its natural colour.

Then it was over in a flash. Minhyun opened his eyes slowly. 

“Hey. You okay?” he sat up and asked Kuanlin with a smile.

“Yeah hyung. How about you?” Kuanlin kept Minhyun’s hand in his as he stood, helping Minhyun rise. When they were both upright, Minhyun took the blue notebook and tore a piece, putting it on his pocket. He tore another piece and gave it to Kuanlin. They have secured the essentials. Then Minhyun gave Kuanlin back the notebook, instructing him to return it to the place where Jihoon left it. 

Kuanlin walked back to the stack of records piling up by the door. He inserted the blue journal in the middle of the small tower, between two Michael Jackson albums: Thriller and a special release of the single Billie Jean. 

Kuanlin smiled. He imagined how it was when his hyung placed it there, hoping Kuanlin to be the only one who would find it. And Kuanlin did.

Minhyun placed a hand on Kuanlin’s shoulder, pulling him out of his reverie.

“You better leave a note for your dad. We’ll try to be back before midnight. It’s about time to go.”

Minhyun instructed, reminding Kuanlin of the time limit, and the fact that they’re about to warp soon.

They both agreed earlier that this warp is a risk nobody ever dared to take before. No occupant of another verse has ever warped to the absolute present. The absolute rule and its accompanying implications made sure of that. So in order to be on the safer side, Minhyun told Kuanlin that they can't be gone too long and stir any suspicion.

Kuanlin walked to the counter and took out a memopad from the drawer. He wrote his father an inconspicuous note telling him he’ll be gone for the day to show Minhyun around.

Kuanlin was positively quivering with excitement at the thought of seeing Park Jihoon. He missed him so much. Kuanlin couldn’t even remember who he was before he met his hyung. Now that he has the chance to see him again, Kuanlin was over the moon. However, Kuanlin was also preparing himself for the shock that may occur at seeing his hyung’s current state. Kuanlin didn’t care whatever happens to him in his destination, all he’s thinking about is how much he was needed by Park Jihoon.

Minhyun placed both hands on Kuanlin’s shoulder, willing the younger to focus.

“I'm not sure if this will work but we both know it's worth a shot. Are you ready?” Minhyun looked at Kuanlin intensely. 

“Of course.” Kuanlin could feel his body started to burn. It wasn't an uncomfortable burn, though. It began in a steady heat pooling from Kuanlin’s stomach. It was as if his muscles are being worn out from a physical activity. Kuanlin being an athlete made it easier for him to adjust to the foreign sensation and soon enough, he felt it satisfactory. 

  Just like when you're working up a sweat warming up for a game.

 

He then closed his eyes because the heat was starting to pool beneath his lids.


When Kuanlin opened his eyes, he was in a bright room with white walls. The strong smell of disinfectant and bleach assaulted his senses. He was in a hospital. A foreign-looking machine shaped like a medicine capsule that’s huge enough to contain a person was on his right. The top half of the capsule was open.

He walked closer and inspected the inside. It was Minhyun. A second after Kuanlin felt the burn fade from his fingertips, he saw Minhyun open his eyes. 
Minhyun beamed the moment he caught Kuanlin’s gaze. His hyung hastily removed the wires attached to his arm and opened the lower half of the capsule to get out. He hugged Kuanlin.

“Oh my god it worked.” Was all Minhyun said. He kissed the top of Kuanlin’s head and forced the latter to hug him again. 

Kuanlin looked around the room as Minhyun walked to the nearby shelf. Kuanlin could see him rummaging for something but Kuanlin was too occupied observing the room. It was like a hospital but not quite. The room had no window but one side of the wall was a mirror. Kuanlin saw himself and the whole room reflected, making the space look twice its original size. To the left of the mirror side was a steel door. The gears locking it began to turn.

“Minhyun-hyung?” Kuanlin heard a voice from the door. 

“Yes Jinyoungie, I’m here.” Minhyun hurried to the door. Kuanlin noticed that Minhyun placed several vials of chemicals in his pockets on his way.

The door revealed a tall guy with a baby’s face. He was in the middle of saying something but the moment he saw Kuanlin, his jaw dropped.

“Kuanlinah?” The guy expressed, his hands flying to grab the hair on his very small head.

Kuanlin just smiled in return, having an idea that this guy is probably one of the ten friends he never met.
Before Kuanlin could say anything else, the guy ran inside the room and gathered Kuanlin who was a bit taller than him in a hug. Kuanlin was bending awkwardly because the guy just pulled his head to rest on his shoulder. The guy was saying something in a foreign language which Kuanlin assumed to be Korean.

The guy was rubbing his wet face against Kuanlin’s hair.

“C’mon Jinyoungah, he's not really the Kuanlin we used to know.” Minhyun tried to pull the guy who Kuanlin now know by the name of Jinyoung, but Jinyoung just clung tighter.

“Kuanlinah~” Jinyoung cooed as he looked Kuanlin up and down, his face a mess. He was asking something but Kuanlin couldn't understand.

“Hello, you must be Jinyoung?” Kuanlin smiled shyly. The guy’s jaw dropped again.

“Yeah! English only?!” Jinyoung protested and earned a laugh from Minhyun.

“I told you, he has no idea who you are.” Minhyun explained while chuckling, his eyes too were a bit teary, Kuanlin observed.

Jinyoung said something back to Minhyun and took Kuanlin in another hug. Kuanlin looked at Minhyun for help. He didn't understand a word Jinyoung was saying. 

Minhyun mouthed ‘Hyung’ to Kuanlin and he finally understood.

“Okay, Jinyoung hyung.” Kuanlin appeased the older.

Jinyoung broke down in loud sobs. Kuanlin remembered it was exactly as how Park Jihoon reacted. Jinyoung was saying something again and Minhyun translated it this time.

“Oh my god. I never thought I’d be able to hear that again.”

Kuanlin’s chest felt tight. He just realized how much he must have meant to these guys. Kuanlin allowed Jinyoung to hug him until the older finally calmed down.

“Let's get going. It's time you see Jihoonie.”

Minhyun told the both of them and looked at Kuanlin meaningfully. As if he was telling Kuanlin to prepare for Jihoon’s current state.

Kuanlin couldn't understand a single word the two are saying on the way but he recognized some names being dropped along the way. Jinyoung mentioned 'Jihoonie hyung' several times and Minhyun said Kuanlin’s name a lot as well.

Kuanlin followed Minhyun out and into an empty hallway, his arm held by Jinyoung who seemed scared that Kuanlin may disappear if he lets go.

They passed by several similar steel doors like the one they just exited. Kuanlin could see the familiar but unreadable Korean characters everywhere.

“Are we in Korea?” Kuanlin asked Minhyun excitedly.

“Yes, Kuanlinah. We'll see Jihoonie in a while.” Minhyun ruffled Kuanlin’s hair in response.

They turned right at the end of the hall and Kuanlin could instantly tell the difference in the atmosphere when he saw that the doors are now typical hospital room doors with small glass windows.

He assumed that where they came from must be the area designated only for warping. And where they’re heading must be where Park Jihoon is being detained and recovering. Kuanlin felt his insides tingle. He couldn't wait to see his hyung. He walked a bit faster.

Minhyun stopped at the door and waited for whoever was inside

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter