Chapter 18: Against the World

Six Members Infinite?!! [Hiatus]

 

“Sungjong!”

“Sungyeol?” he heard a voice behind him and he turned. His mother was standing at the opened door, looking at him with a puzzled expression on her face. She turned her gaze to his luggage then back at him.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’re going home?”

“I...” Sungyeol scratched his head. He didn’t know what to answer. He ran his gaze to his mother and suddenly the image of Sungjong popped in his head. Right! Sungjong!

“Mom, I’m sorry, I got to go. Sungjong is...” he turned to leave.

“I know,” The words stopped him in the middle of his steps. He turned back.

“You know what?”

“Come in,” she said. When Sungyeol didn’t budge, she pulled her son’s hand and dragged him into the house. She took the luggage inside and switched on the television. Sungyeol turned to her. He saw his brother peeking at them between the cracks of the door.

“You have to see this,” his mother said and switched on the television.

Sungyeol watched the news on the TV. It was about some people protesting and striking at a hospital. He turned to his mother a while before running his gaze back to the TV. That was when he saw it, Sungjong at the front of the hospital. The cameraman caught it all on tape and Sungyeol noticed at the corner of the screen where it stated LIVE FROM C HOSPITAL. INFINITE’S SUNGJONG CASE.

Sungyeol felt his heartbeat quickened when Sungjong started talking to the striking people and the press. His voice was hoarse and his hand trembled as he held the microphone close to his chest.

I didn’t assault anyone...” Sungjong started.

Sungyeol collapsed helplessly to the couch. They knew. Everybody knew.

I didn’t hurt anyone...” he continued.

Sungyeol noticed the small cut at Sungjong’s forehead that was oozing blood. And the end of his lips was torn, also oozing blood. But the magnae didn’t bother to wipe it. He just continued his speech.

And I’m innocent...”

Liar!” A voice boomed. Then a few other voices roared in agreement. Sungjong looked almost scared. Sungyeol saw the managers behind Sungjong patting his back reassuringly. Sungyeol silently glad that the managers were there. His Infinite hyungs couldn’t save him now and protect him. They were too far at their home. The managers might have told them to go home but at least they didn’t stop protecting the magnae.

I didn’t lie and I’m not a liar. The girl was a friend of mine. Please believe me,” he said. “Please have hopes in me... and Infinite. Our Dongwoo hyung is unconscious and...”

He’s in a comatose state because of you!” A girl yelled somewhere. The cameraman turned to the direction but the girl hid between the crowds before resuming to Sungjong.

Sungyeol saw Sungjong’s eyes widened in shock to the accusation.

I...

“Some people saw Infinite’s Dongwoo running after you and got knocked over by the car. Some people even witnessed you standing at the side of the road doing nothing while the other members of Infinite tending to him.” A male reporter said.

I...” Sungjong turned to the camera and Sungyeol was cought off guard when he saw the tears pooling in his eyes. The accusation was too much for him. To be discriminate as an assaulter was one thing, and now to be judged as to hurt his hyung was an even bigger shock to him.

I think that’s enough,” Jungryul hyung pulled Sungjong back to the hospital while Yongjun hyung tried to stop the people from entering and asking more questions. The cameraman finally turned to the reporter.

That’s our live report from C Hospital with the biggest news ever in our entertainment industry. Now back to the studio.

The TV went blank when his mother turned it off. She looked at Sungyeol momentarily. His son looked in a daze. She called his other son to take Sungyeol’s luggage to his room. He obeyed and dragged Sungyeol’s things to Sungyeol’s room.

“You’re in no state to go out. Sleep in tonight, understand?” she asked but no answer came from her first son. She heaved a sigh before returning to the kitchen to continue her work.

“It’s... It’s too much... for someone... like Sungjong.” Sungyeol muttered to himself.

“It’s too much...”

-- --

Hoya saw the news too. He didn’t know what to think. He saw the news at the big screen TV with people whispering all around him. They knew he was Infinite’s Hoya and didn’t even concern on lowering their voice just because he was around. He heard what they said but pushed all the sounds away from his mind. Why should he hear if it would hurt him even more?

Hoya walked away and tried hard to avoid the gazes the people was giving him. Some were out of pity while some just of disgust. He heard about these things. When they were an idol, they were supposed to take care of their everything. One mistake could ruin it all and corrupt their image as idols. And people would be angry and think they’re not worthy to be idols. And it was exactly happening to them.

Sometimes Hoya couldn’t quite grasp the fact that they were idols. Infinite and him. When they won their first mutizen award through Be Mine, Hoya knew they were up for bigger challenges and obstacles in the industry.

They would face bigger ceremonies and make performances at places they could only dreamt of before debuted. Even after their wins through Be Mine and next with Paradise, they had gone to Japan a few times. After that, they actually won their first Golden Disk Award. And that moment, Hoya knew, a lot of people have their hopes up high for Infinite.

But as they became bigger, the reliability on their shoulders increased. They could never act selfishly and be all mighty on camera. People would get mad if they did. And Sungjong’s case was exactly what they tried to avoid

He didn’t blame Sungjong. Not even one bit. The magnae was innocent and he knew that. But how can he prove it? How can he help him?

Hoya didn’t realize he had reached the hospital. There were less people than before. Only some fans and a few policemen. It was getting dark and as Hoya walked in, a few fans ran to him. At first, Hoya was scared they would say bad things to him but only for a brief when they actually handed him a few bouquets of flowers.

“These are for Dongwoo oppa. We wished him to get better soon,” They smiled meaningfully. Hoya nodded.

“Thank you,” He said and then walked in. As he passed the counter, the ends of his lips raised to a smile. It was nice to know some people having their trust on them. It made him feel better. Hoya looked around. He didn’t see Sungjong or the managers anywhere.

“Excuse me,” he asked one of the nurses. “Did you see Infinite’s Sungjong around here?”

“I saw him in Infinite Dongwoo’s ward with his mother.”

“Thank you,” he said before taking the elevator.

When he reached the ward, Hoya saw Sungjong talking to Dongwoo’s mother through the window. He had his head hung down, not daring to look at her in the face. Maybe it was guilt or maybe he was crying. Dongwoo’s mother nodded a few times while Sungjong talked. Hoya realized the managers weren’t there so they were alone.

His gaze ran to Dongwoo on the bed. His eyes were closed, just like the last time he saw him. He still hadn’t woken up. Maybe he shouldn’t, for the meantime. Dongwoo would only have the biggest shock of his life to see what happened to Infinite. And at that brisk moment, Hoya saw Dongwoo’s fingers twitched. Just a small movement, hardly noticeable. His mouth gaped open. Was he imagining it?

Suddenly Hoya saw Sungjong moving towards Dongwoo. Dongwoo’s mother went to him and gave him a hug. She patted Sungjong’s head lovingly. Hoya knew she loved Sungjong too. Infinite were like her sons.

Suddenly, the door opened and Dongwoo’s mother walked out. When she saw Hoya, she smiled but it was a bitter one. Hoya kept his head down. It was an instinctive gesture. Now he knew why Sungjong looked down at his feet. Hoya stared at the flowers. He needed to give it to her. He walked to the woman and when he was closed enough, Hoya saw her tear stained cheeks. His heart constricted painfully.

“The fans... gave these. They wished the best for Dongwoo hyung,” he spoke carefully.

“Thank you,” she took the flowers and smiled at Hoya. She suddenly looked ten times better. “I’m going home to grab some things. Please stay with Dongwoo while I’m away. And Sungjong too. He needed someone. He keeps saying it was his fault.”

“I will.” He nodded. “Have a safe journey.”

Hoya stayed there until she disappeared from his view. 

 

 

DO LEAVE COMMENTS.. TYVM!