Chapter 17 - Hurt

Six Members Infinite?!! [Hiatus]

 

L watched as the van stopped in front of his house. He pulled out his luggage and opened the door, not forgetting to thank the driver before closing the door behind him and walking towards the front door of his house. As he neared the door, L looked behind him to see the van disappearing behind the curb and he couldn’t avoid the dread creeping on his heart.

It had been a few months since his last visit to his house and a few weeks since he last see his family. So why wasn’t he glad to be there? It wasn’t because he didn’t love his family or his home but it just felt wrong to leave Infinite the way it was. It’s one of the feelings that you felt like if you’re just given the right time and the right moment, maybe you could fix it. Just maybe, he could make it right again.

But now, standing in front of the closed door, L felt nothing but trapped even though he’s free from schedules and activities. He finally let out a long sigh and turned back towards the door. ‘This is just temporary.’ He remembered Yongjae hyung said. Yeah, it’s just temporary, he told himself and resolved to knock on the door.

‘That’s what they say before they broke up for real!’ The leader had barked.

L stopped just before his fist connected with the door. Broke up? For real?

-- --

When the driver dropped him in front of his house, Sunggyu had pretended to walk towards the door. When he looked over his shoulder to see the van turning a corner, Sunggyu left his luggage at a spot hidden from public view, and his family’s, to take a walk at a park nearby. He needed a walk. So much.

All the activities he usually did like practices, dancing and exercising were held almost instantly when Dongwoo was held in the hospital. And all he’d done all day was pacing outside his ward because Infinite weren’t allowed to go in to visit besides his family. He almost cursed at the doctor. They may not be related through flesh and blood and they may not share the same mom but Dongwoo was like a brother he never had.

Infinite was like his second family.

And the feeling of losing a brother was worse than he’d expected. He was losing his six brothers. Infinite is forever. They are infinitely forever.

He took out his phone to see a dozen missed calls from his family. They must have heard about Dongwoo from the news. Sunggyu remembered the time when they went to Japan. During the fan meeting event, they had a high-fiving slot with Japanese fans. And Dongwoo and Sungyeol were so hyperactive he wondered where they got the energy from.

Sungyeol was more of a verbal full of energy while Dongwoo liked to move around a lot. Hopping, jumping, hand signs and making funny faces were just to name a few.

 

“Miina-san. I’m the attractive eyes, Infinite’s Dongwoo,” he had introduced himself like that.

During break, Sunggyu spent some time hanging out with him while the others continue practicing their Japanese.

“Why attractive eyes? You usually said you’re confident with your lips.”

“I’m confident with both. And rapping.”

“And getting pranked!”

“That was an exception!” Dongwoo yelled.

 

A small smile slipped on his lips unconsciously. He missed those times with Dongwoo. In fact, he missed those times when they were actually seven.

-- --

“Hoya, do you want to eat dinner here?” His mother asked. Hoya raised his head to peer at his mother in the kitchen. Dinner? He couldn’t remember the last time he had dinner there.

“No it’s okay mom.” He answered turning his attention back to the television. He was flipping channel when the entertainment news caught his attention.

“Infinite’s Dongwoo who we reported was admitted to the hospital earlier yesterday morning because of a car accident is now stable though still unconscious. But, another issue was raised, one of the members of Infinite, who we’re not sure who, was involved in an assault. A man who wants his identity to be kept a secret told us that the person was the least expected one in Infinite the fans would think of. Some said that it was just rumours as-”

Hoya switched off the television. He stood up suddenly and fought the urge to throw the remote to the wall. Finally he exhaled softly and put it slowly on the couch. Grabbing his sweater, Hoya called out to his mother. “Mom, I’m going out a while,” he said and opened the door. As he took a taxi, Hoya felt the worries he had been keeping slowly getting out.

The press knew about Sungjong.

He wondered if the rest of Infinite knew.

-- --

Woohyun looked at the list of groceries his mother had given him. “This is a lot. I don’t know how to do groceries anymore.” he said to himself as he ducked into one of the shops. At the dorm, the managers usually did the groceries, Infinite rarely got out of the dorm except when they were doing a show. And that was a few days ago. They had been stuck in the hospital for two days. Woohyun sighed. He’s rather be in the hospital. At least he’s closer with the members.

“Woohyun oppa!” he heard someone shrieked behind him. Woohyun turned to see a few elementary school girls looking at him at the end of the aisle. “I told you it’s Infinite’s Woohyun!” One of them said.

Woohyun smiled and continued with his groceries. But they ran to him and asked him for his signature. As he gave them what they wanted, one of the girls asked him something unexpected.

“Is it true Sungjong oppa killed someone?”

He froze.

“What?”

“Yah! It’s not killed someone, he assaulted a girl!” he friends corrected then turned back to Woohyun. “Is it true, oppa? It’s in the news.”

 “How is Dongwoo oppa doing?”

“Oppa, why are you here? Where are the others?”

But Woohyun just stood still. All these questions. He didn’t know how to answer. How could he? Even he didn’t have the confidence to assure everything was going to be alright. He couldn’t even assure them that he would even go on stage again.  Woohyun ran his gaze to the elementary girls. Now that he thought about it, should he go back to the hospital? The managers had let them go home because he didn’t want people to know about Sungjong’s case but now they knew, was their departures a waste of time?

-- --

Sungyeol stopped in front of the door of his house. He couldn’t bring himself to go in. Instead, he sat on the threshold and wrapped his legs in his arms. He recalled Sungjong’s expressions when one by one of Infinite left the apartment. The magnae really didn’t look so good. He knew because he’d been paying more attention to the magnae now that a lot of things happened.

Sungjong was too young to face it all. He’s still in high school for god’s sake. Sungyeol fished his phone in his pocket and dialled Sungjong. The magnae was probably still on the way to his house. The line finally got through after four dials.

“Sung-” he stopped when he heard commotion from the other line. A lot of people were shouting and yelling and cursing. And above it all, Sungyeol heard the sound of Sungjong screaming for people to let him go.

“Hyung!”

“Sungjong? Where are you?”

“At the hospital. I-” The line was suddenly cut. Sungyeol immediately stood up. He dialled Sungjong’s number again. It linked after a dial.

“Sungjong?”

“Hyung! They knew!”

“Who? What?” he asked, literally screaming at the phone.

“The people! They’re... angry. At me.”

Suddenly there was a loud clanking sound and something falling to a hard surface. The line went silent a while before the operator’s voice emerged, “The number you’re trying to dial is-”

“Su-Sungjong!"

 

please leave a comment okay? I'm sorry for the late update.