Overthinking?

EXO SERIES: Someone Like Zhang Yixing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

Min Hee locked the door to her office and lifted up the bags which she had packed and taken to the studio earlier. It was almost Christmas Day but since it wasn't commonly celebrated in China, it wasn't a public holiday. No script writing, no schedule arrangements (for now) and no work-related things so Min Hee was basically free. She worked hard the past weeks to spend some time on other activities. Besides visiting her family's house and reuniting with her grandfather, not having seen them for a few months, there was nothing else planned. Also, Yixing's schedule was coincidentally empty for the next three days unless he spontaneously decided to go somewhere. 

As the last one to leave the studio today, Min Hee went through all rooms and checked if everything was alright and no staff members were working before locking the studio building. The last area included Yixing's office, recording studio and practice room. No way he will actually practise today. I should check, though, I never know if it's about Zhang Yixing. Opening the doors to the practice room and to the recording studio, Min Hee sighed in relief because Yixing wasn't seen. Then she stood in front of his office, placed her hand carefully on the door handle and knocked before entering. 

Yixing sat there at his desk and played some keys on the keyboard while working on his computer at the same time. He's at it again. Composing music. Yixing concentrated too much, being in his own world and not caring about the rest, that he didn't hear Min Hee coming in as always. It was only when his friend walked towards him and took a seat next to Yixing that he was pulled back to reality and apologised for not hearing her come in. 

"What's up with those bags? Are you going on a trip?" Yixing noticed the bags Min Hee had put down at the door because of the weight. "You have some days off, right?"

Min Hee nodded her head and smiled, thinking about all the activities she could do during this short period. "To be honest, I don't get to travel that much. Sometimes during shootings, I'd go to various places to accompany the rest of the production crew. But yes, I'll go see my family. What about you? You've barely taken any days off this year." Actually, she enjoyed her freedom and independence, but the simple fact that she commute between the two countries was hard considering her family lived there. Working in Korea and working with Yixing in China makes me forget and remember being away from home at the same time, it's weird. 

"I've only been working and not gone home very much. I'm not quite the type to get homesick. If I'm free during Chinese New Year and mid-autumn festival, it'll be enough." Yixing replied with a sad smile, being reminded of all the holidays he couldn't spend with his family. How could he relate to her so much? "So, were you planning to go after stopping by at the studio?" 

"Yeah, but not now. The place I'm heading to now is far away in a big city." Min Hee stared at the keyboard with mixed feelings. "To an orphanage."

"Suddenly? Why an orphanage?" Yixing regarded her curiously and glanced at the bags. "Are these for the children? You're doing voluntary work?"

"Exactly. Once a year, mostly around Christmas time. I try to donate but if I'm able to help out physically, I'd like to do that, too." Min Hee explained, intending to bring the children some gifts. It'll be hard to visit during the real public holidays, so I'm going now. "The children are less fortunate than us and often live in bad conditions. In most cases, their parents aren't capable of taking care of them or just abandoned them. It's really sad."

"Was it around my birthday you donated last year?" Yixing questioned her upon suddenly remembering the letter he coincidentally found. "To an orphanage, wasn't it? That's impressive and admirable." 

"Tch, says the one who only accepts letters on his birthday." Min Hee responded with a laugh and stared into his eyes. "You're admirable, too." As expected, Yixing was kind-hearted and cared for others deeply, trying to help those in need. "It was a pure coincidence that I donated to the orphanage around the time of your birthday. Whatever, consider it as a gift if that makes you happy." 

Yixing thought he knew Min Hee well enough by now yet he kept discovering new sides of her. Yes, she was one carefree and bold woman, but she was also soft-hearted and a good person. Not that Yixing ever thought of her as a bad person. 

"Anyway, today I'm visiting a place I also went to last year. When I was there, the place was understaffed and too many children to take care of. I'd like to see if the situation has improved." Min Hee explained, no ulterior motives behind her actions. It was her sincereness which made Yixing reflect on himself. "Let's be honest, I don't really look like a person who would volunteer, right?" 

"Well, how do I know how volunteers look like and how they are different from other people? Who am I to judge? I guess this is your charm. It's an amazing thing to do." Yixing glanced at Min Hee's luggage and back to his friend. "Speaking of volunteering, can I be of any help? I'm free today, I'll help you."

It surely was an exciting thought to volunteer together and Min Hee appreciated his commitment. And it's a way to get closer, too. A very tempting idea, but Min Hee had some doubts. "Won't it be tiring for you? It's a long way to drive and I'm staying there for three to four days, we will probably be back on the 25th." When Min Hee told Yixing about her plans, she never aimed to make her friend accompany her. A volunteer more or less won't hurt.

"I am determined and motivated. Let me get some of my things and call jiejie." Yixing got up immediately before Min Hee even realised and looked for a bag for his own luggage. I'm not doing it for media attention. If I did, they'd be informed already. "Jiejie insisted on driving us to ensure my safety. What do I do?" Yixing came back during the phone call with his manager and eyed his friend helplessly. 

"I'll handle this." Min Hee smiled at him quickly and took his phone. "I'll send you the address. Please pick us up at the studio, thanks, jiejie." Even though Min Hee was looking forward to driving and travelling by herself after years, she didn't mind more people joining. Especially when those people were her co-worker sister and Zhang Yixing. 

Yixing followed Min Hee to the exit and stopped in his tracks. "I cannot come unprepared! I should buy some presents or food. And I should dress appropriately, I can't go looking like this!" 

Overthinking too much? "As long as you have the necessary patience and enjoy working with children, it will be fine, don't worry." Min Hee placed her hand reassuringly on his shoulder to stop him from wandering through the entire building in panic. She was neither particularly patient nor did she look like she enjoyed working with children at first glance.

A few moments later, Yixing's manager arrived at the studio to pick them up in the black vehicle. Since the drive to their destination was long, Min Hee suggested she could drive first and then switch with her colleague so she had a chance to rest. Yixing rested at the back of the car and fell asleep after an hour much to Min Hee's surprise. Having stopped at a resting area to switch, Min Hee got off the car for a break and stretched herself to shake off the weird feeling in her limbs. Yixing showed up next to her, handing her a bottle of water against dehydration. 

"So you are awake too, Mr Lay?" Min Hee and accepted the bottle with a grin.

"What do you mean? Did I sleep that long?" Yixing's genuine confusion amused his friend. "It seemed like thirty minutes at the most."

"Two hours in total, but jiejie fell asleep either. I am touched she was confident in my driving skills and trusted me with the car." Min Hee took some sips from the water bottle and gave it back to Yixing. "Let's get something to eat, I am hungry."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter