Promises of Always

Value of Love

Wearing their usual self in casual clothings and light make ups, VIXX made their way to the studio that has a lot of microphones and computer monitors in front of them, headphones connected to somewhere under the table and a table set like a quarter's of a mansion's dinner table where the king usually sits on the farway head part of the wooden rectangle whereas this time, it was a DJ instead of a king.

Today Hakyeon was supposed to shoot his finale scenes in the mountains again but filming crew suggested to take his scenes tomorrow for at least Hakyeon will not be force to a tight and tiring schedule especially the leader had only regained health fully yesterday.

The ambience was comfortable even it was their first time meeting the DJ although they had guested in the same radio show before with a different radio host.

They talk about their last album and gave spoilers for their upcoming album.

The DJ had asked them various questions about themselves like hobbies and what do they do if they had a free time. They got to talk about their teamwork especially the DJ had mention it was their fifth year already living in their dorm (living together at a dorm setting, not literally mean they had lived in the same dorm in five years). The DJ had asked them if they have future plans on living on their own houses while still doing VIXX promotions and they gave contradicting answers like most of them chose to live in their dorm while Hakyeon chose to live by himself. It was hurting to hear it from Hakyeon himself. The leader chose to, finally, separate himself from the group. But Hongbin made a quick clarification that they still had to live together because it was part of the contract and they themselves chose to live with one another because that makes their teamwork, group's solidarity and unity strong. But it was still evident in the leader's face he wasn't well favored with that excuse.

They played where the DJ will ask questions individually and the members will answer those questions in circle starting from the maknae to the leader and if the bomb of time explodes on whoever the member is answering, he will be given a punishment alongside choosing another member to do it with him together.

It was Sanghyuk's turn to answer where suddenly an explosive sound emerges from somewhere indicating the time is up. The DJ asked the maknae who he wants to do the penalty together and without further ado, he chose Hakyeon. The leader has no guts to refuse since they are in front of cameras.

They had some more Q&A with the DJ before the penalty so the radio host chose to ask questions given by the fans.

“A fan asks, if you were given a day of free time, what will you do and who will you choose to spend it with?”

The six of them paused for a while looking at each other on who to answer first.

“If I were given a chance of a dayoff, I will go to a tropical country and I will take N-hyung there with me.” Said Jaehwan. “I searched some beautiful places and I manage to scroll some pictures of a particular place and I wanted to spend looking and going to those places and eating the locale foods and shopping some souvenirs and doing things I haven't done before with N-hyung. I wanted to give him a complete healing since hyung has a lot of schedules lately before he was admitted to the hospital.” Jaehwan narrated while looking at Hakyeon and to the DJ and back at Hakyeon again, having no certain view on where he can focus his eyes without feeling awkward.

“Wow that's really nice. Especially apart from the place you wanted to go to, it was the thought of giving N-ssi a healing time...knowing N as a leader has a lot of individual scheds from the rest.” The DJ commented. “Hongbin-ssi?” Asked the DJ looking at Hongbin.

“Oh?!-...I-...uhm...I actually like to go somewhere where we don't need to wear facemask and or hoodie to hide our faces. I wanted to go to a place where we can walk freely without the thought of a fan will suddenly come out from somewhere and ask for a selfie...I wanted to walk down a street with N-hyung. I wanted to explore a place with him. Because I know wherever I go, as long as I'm with N-hyung, I'll be safe and sound.” Hongbin said smilingly.

The DJ paused for about 3-seconds before he can think of what to say. “Heol!-...If my mind was malicious, I have thought N-ssi is somehow your girlfriend...anyway...that's great!...I mean...spending time with the person you wanted be with the most is perfect. You know...because it was not the place or food or things that matters, it was the person you're spending that time with.” The DJ explained while nodding in complete agreement to Hongbin's.

“What about me?” Jaehwan batt-in suddenly.

Everyone laughs, except Hakyeon, with how silly and comical Jaehwan's comment from out of the blue with the intent of only making everyone laugh from making his wish a little funny.

“Jaehwan-ssi your choice is good too.” The DJ coaxed. “Ravi-ssi?”

“First of all...I wanted to spend that dayoff with N-hyung...” Wonshik started but the DJ commented quickly.

“Why I feel everyone will choose N-ssi?” The DJ asked laughingly. “Sorry...Ravi-ssi please continue.”

“Honestly I really don't have any ideas right now...all I can think is watching a concert of N-hyung's favorite group. We can be happy, giddy, exzoited, hype-up, jump, shout, sing and dance to the songs we would enjoy together while watching our role artists.” Wonshik said lovingly.

“Mmm...that's amazing and it sounds exciting too!” The DJ said. “Leo-ssi?”

“Uhhhh...I would like to go in an orphanage with N.” Taekwoon said shortly.

The DJ looked at him hinting Taekwoon to continue.

“I know N also likes children so I wanted to bring him there because I'm sure N will be happy with the kids and he can take care of the children in a day like how N takes care of us every day.” Taekwoon explained furtherly.

The DJ can only nod with ‘o’ sounds coming out from his lips.

“Hyuk-ssi?”

“Ah me?” Sanghyuk asks unknowingly but continues. “I wanted to bring N-hyung to his hometown...” Sanghyuk said from the bottom of his heart. “N-hyung has a few chances to go back to his home especially his hometown is quite far from Seoul. I wanted N-hyung to spend that time with his family. Even if I need to sacrifice that dayoff from myself, there a lot of future chances where I can visit my family and to be honest I can visit them whenever I want since I don't have a pack of schedules but N-hyung...he really needs that time for his family.” Sanghyuk answered truthfully. Seeing the leader only has once a month or twice every three months to visit his family, Sanghyuk could feel the loneliness and homesick from the leader even the man is not complaining about that loudly.

The DJ's jaw dropped for a definite pause, shocked from the maknae's answer. “Wow! I think that was the best! You know, especially with what kind of lifestyle you have...you rarely has the chance to go back home and visit your family, I mean, if I were given a chance too I would rather spent it with my family.” The DJ narrates conveying he totally agrees to Sanghyuk. “So...N-ssi must be nervous by now...the five members chose you N-ssi, I think it will be hard to choose among them.”

“Actually it isn't hard.” Hakyeon said rather quickly.

The five half-shocked from the leader's quick remarks.

“I mean...I would spend the time alone. I desperately needed alone time. I'm so tired and exhausted from the past weeks and I need to heal my body from stress and my mind from depression and certainly my heart from...y'know...loneliness.” Hakyeon halted for a while, looking at s.

The five were anxious at how the leader will continues.

“Like Hyuk-ssi said, I rarely had time to visit my family so I'm kinda lonely from being away from them for a long time.” Hakyeon made an excuse. “If I will not spend the time alone, I will spend it with my family.”

“What about your members? If you will choose one? Who will it be?”

Hakyeon paused. Think deeply on whom he will choose. Couple of seconds had passed before he could answer.

“I think I would rather choose Hyuk-ssi since he will get me to my family.” Hakyeon said monotonously.

“The safest answer there is!” The DJ remarked mockingly.

Hakyeon could only laugh while waving his hand in front of his face in a disapproving manner.

Soon enough, Sanghyuk and Hakyeon went to a small room to play some kids luck-game. The staff explained to them how they should play and left the room.

Once they were left, Sanghyuk wasted no time to talk to the man.

“Hyung...” Sanghyuk called softly to catch his attention but the man still looks directly at the table thinking on how to complete the task quickly. “Thank you.”

Hakyeon spun around -with a mocking expression- to face Sanghyuk.

“What for?”

“You chose me. I'm so happy.”

“I chose you because you choose to bring me to my family. That's it! No other reasons behind.”

“If you say so...but now that I'm thinking about it...I should really get you to your hometown.”

Hakyeon looked at Sanghyuk in bewilderment, not sure if the maknae was all truth or just as usual, the prank king.

“I'm serious here Hakyeon.”

“Yes hyungnim.” Hakyeon responded politely and formally.

“I said I'm really serious here hyung.”

“I don't care if your serious or not Hyuk! I-JUST-DON'T-CARE!”

“Hyung...” Sanghyuk called longingly.

“Sanghyuk please...if this is one of your pranks or anything I'm begging you...please stop. I'm so tired of it. I'm so tired of you.”

Sanghyuk flinched. Shocked. It felt like true. Was Hakyeon really has no care about him now? Was he really tired of the maknae now?

“Let's just get over this!” Hakyeon pointed at the task on hand.

“I'm sorry hyung.”

“For what?”

“You're probably hurt...I mean that time...I actually didn't think about those words deeply. I'm pissed off from my mobile game and not from you.”

“What are you talking about?” Hakyeon almost shouted.

“I mean that time, when I shouted at you that you're annoying. I really didn't mean those words. Promise! I'm telling the truth.”

“Truth or not...it doesn't matter now.”

“It does matter.”

“It doesn't...you know why?”

Sanghyuk looked directly to Hakyeon's eyes searching for his sincerity. Indeed, the leader is saying nothing but the truth from his heart.

“I don't care about what you say, what you do, I don't care anymore. I don't care about you...I just don't care..." Hakyeon stopped for a while to breathe deeply, to halt forming salty waters in his eyes. "I think I've done my best to take care of you, to be an older brother to you, to be a leader to guide you in the right path...and seeing you now that you became successful on your own, I'm actually proud of myself for helping you to go that far. But now...you don't need me anymore. As what you have said that time, you have grown up already, so I think you don't need an annoying hyung and over-exaggerated leader anymore...Sanghyuk remember this...I don't care anymore, I just don't!-...any longer...I'm granting you your wish now. I'm setting you free. I will not fuzz over you anymore. I will not annoy you anymore. I'm lifting all the prohibitions I inplanted upon you. All those ‘do-not's’, you're all free from that. Expect me to talk to you with things only work-related...and don't worry I won't tell the managers if you do things prohibitedly, I'll tell them I made you do it.” Hakyeon ended with a faint smile.

Before Sanghyuk could even part his lips to reply, the staff came in asking them if they already finished the task.

The day goes on and they all were soon enough lying on their own beds in their respective rooms. Sanghyuk had tried all the positions yet his soul was still fully awakened, sleep has never bother to poke him even slightly. Sanghyuk decided to crawl out from bed to seek help from a warm cup of hot chocolate. He sat on the chair the leader usually sits on. He can feel the warm from the chair even though there was no physical warm emanating from the wooden chair. The cup sat on the table, emptied and ignored.

He walked to the living room with light footsteps but with a heavy heart. He planned to stare from the large window pane to look out to the vast horizon of the city who seems never had sleep even once, to his surprise, the person he had longed to have a heart-to-heart talk was sitting on the carpeted floor with eyes directly longing to touch the darkness of the city outside.

He walks slowly but surely not to startle the man. He lowered himself and sat beside the man. And the man didn't notice him at all or maybe the man was just deeply dazed into his own thoughts.

Sanghyuk looked to the gloomy scenery outside. He imagined the lights were somehow resembles the fans...where they, one by one, shut their lights off. He feels sad if that was really the case in real-life. But smile tinyly shined on his lips noticing some lights were shutting off yet there were new who has been newly . He concluded that no matter what happens, there will be fans out there who will not forfeit on supporting them.

Sanghyuk had slightly turned beside his view looking now at the man on his side. He remembered the lights a while ago, now comparing it to chances on winning the leader's heart back. Maybe there were chances he didn't take, chances he took but wrongly taken, chances that were completely turned down even before he could take...and just like the lights, the chances, one by one, dimming their lights off. Chances that getting fewer like the lights individually losing their brights. Again, like the lights, there are newly lit. And just like those lights, Sanghyuk hopes there are new chances and opportunities where he could make up for his mistakes.

He couldn't imagine his idol life without Hakyeon.

First and foremost, it was Hakyeon who pursued the maknae to never give up because the leader promised he will always be there for him. That Hakyeon will forever and always be there to help him. That in all circumstances Hakyeon will never leave his side and will be on his side like always. And Sanghyuk can clearly remember Hakyeon making those promises to him, and by that Sanghyuk chose to believe in those promises because Hakyeon never -not even once- broke any promises.

“Hyung...” Sanghyuk called almost above breathe, so soft like a whisper, Hakyeon might not make out Sanghyuk had called him but the leader still understand what he said and looked sidely to him, a bit surprised that the maknae was there sitting beside him.

The leader remained emotionless, like a robot, after realizing Sanghyuk was here all the time he had longed desired to run across the dark streets of the city.

“Hakyeon-hyung...do you still remember your promises to me?”

Hakyeon looked at the maknae for a span of seconds before he could utter his reply. “What promises?”

“Debut promises.”

An emotion almost flashed across the plain face of Hakyeon but still, the leader's face remained nothing...like a piece of white paper, so flat, no scratches, no writings, no lines. Like a piece of paper, so pure, so innocent.

“What about those promises?” The leader asked.

“Will you keep them? Still keeping them? Or will you finally stop keeping them?”

Hakyeon, becoming his usual, was drenched for a handful of silence before he could answer the question.

“I don't know Hyuk...why do you ask?”

“I don't know too hyung...perhaps I wanted another assurance that they will never be broken?.” Hyuk said half-asking half-commenting.

The leader only gave him a weak smile, not knowing what to say anymore.

The maknae could only smile back, knowing Hakyeon might ‘could not’ or ‘could’ keep the promises made, like always he did.