TLGS PART 21

JUST A STORY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon set his laptop, carry-on bag, shoes, and the contents of his pockets-keys, wallet, cell phone, and change-on the screening table then handed his passport and plane ticket to the security guard, Ahead of him, his team members had already passed through the metal detectors and were collecting their possessions.They had two hours before their plane would be flying them from the small, open-air Kona airport to Honolulu, and then on to Tokyo for a connecting fight to Philippines.

It would be over Eighteen hours before they touched down in Philippines, so he had come prepared with several books and a bag full of snacks candy bars, chips, beef jerky, and hastily made ham sandwiches.

Just as he was collecting his belongings, his cell phone rang. Striding away from the security checkpoint, he opened the phone and said a hushed hello. It was Sooyoung. "Hey, bro, what's up? he asked, keeping an eye on his team members up ahead. They were already halfway to the gate, and he was lagging behind, bringing up the rear. "I can't talk now, man. We're heading to our gate. I'll call you back just before we board."

The reception was bad, and when the phone cut out, Taeyoen wasn't sure he had heard Sooyoung correctly. "What'd you say-- what about Sica?

She collapsed in class." said Sooyoung. "They took her to the hospital. She's being prepped for surgery.

Taeyeon stopped in his tracks and set his bags at his feet. "Surgery? What happened to her?"

"No one knows. But it looks serious, buddy"

Taeyeon in a breath. He felt as if the wind had been knocked out of him. "Is she gonna be okay?"

"I have no idea", Sooyoung said. "But l figured you'd wanna know"

"Yeah, I sure do. See if you can get some more information,okay?"

He hung up the phone, his head spinning with questions. What could have happened to Jessica? She was fine last night except for the headaches. Lord, help her. Take care of my girl. Let her be okay.

As he joined his team members at the gate, his mind was in a tailspin. He set his stuff on a chair and turned to Charles, the team leader. "I got a problem," he said, his thoughts running blindly. How could he explain what he himself didn't know?

"What is it, Taeyeon?" Charles-a big-boned, red-faced Swede with wispy blond hair had a way of sounding calm and reassuring, no matter what was happening around him.

Taeyeon needed a little of that composure right now. "It's my wife," he said, his voice catching. "She's in the hospital.

Compassion registered in Charles's eyes. "What can we do for her?"

Taeyeon was on the verge of tears. The last thing he wanted was to look like a crybaby in front of the guys. "That's just it. I don't know what's wrong. It could be serious."

He swiped at a tear and spoke over a lump in his throat. "Listen, guys, I don't know how to say this, but I can't go to Philippines with you. Jessica's my wife, and I've gotta stay here by her side."

Charles shook his hand heartily. You go take care of your wife, Taeyeon. We'll trust God to pick up the slack for us."

Grabbing his bags,Taeyeon nearly sprinted across the airport to a waiting taxi. "Take me to Kona Community Hospital," he said breathlessly. During the drive, he called Sooyoung back and asked if he had any more information. He didn't know.

Then Taeyeon phoned Sunny. "Have you heard about Jessica?" he said, the emotion raw in his voice.

"Yes. I heard she was taken to the hospital. What happened, Taeng?"

"I don't know, Sun. I'm on my way to the hospital now"

"Me, too."

"Good. I'l see you in a few minutes."
When the taxi pulled up at the hospital, Taeyeon jumped out and nearly forgot his luggage. "Hey, man, dont forget your
stuff" called the driver. Returning to the cab, Taeyeon several dollars into the man's hand and asked him to drop his bags off at his dormitory at U of N.

Every nerve ending bristled as Taeyeon ran into the hospital and crossed the lobby. "My wife was brought here to the hospital, he told the woman at the information desk. "Her name's Jessica. Jessica Kim."He was panting so hard he wasn't sure the woman understood him.
Checking her records, she said, "Your wife has been taken to the surgical suite, Mr. Kim."

Taeyeon paced the floor. "Why? What happened? What 's wrong with her?

"You'll have to tallk with her doctor."

"Where is he?"

"I'll page him, but he may already be in the operating room."


We have some papers for you to sign, Mr. Kim permission forms for surgery, since you're her closest relative. Then you may wait for Dr. Forlani in the visitors' lounge."

Taeyeon signed the forms, but there was no way he was going to sit around waiting for news. He had spent a lot of time in this hospital when he and Jessica were recuperating from the accident. He knew half the nurses on the staff. Now he just had to find one who would give him some answers. It didn't take him long. He found a surgical nurse named Elena on duty in the emergency room.

She greeted Taeyeon with a big hug. "I'm so relieved you're here, Mr. Kim. You and your wife were always my favorite patients."

"How's Jessica?" he asked.

The woman's expression darkened. "I was here when they brought her in. She was unconscious. They ran tests a CT scan, MRI, and ultrasound. I believe they've taken her to surgery."

"What's wrong with her?"

She hesitated. Taeyeon could see the indecision playing in her olive black eyes.

"I should wait and let the doctor tell you."

"Please, Elena He clasped her arm. "I've got to know."

"They -they suspect a ruptured cerebral aneurysm."

Taeyeon caught his breath. "That's bad, isn't it?"

"It can be."

"People die of those!"

"Yes, but they're acting quickly. We must trust they've caught it in time."

"She was having headaches," said Taeyeon. "I should have recognized the signs. If anything happens to her..."

"You cant blame yourself, Mr. Kim."

"Why not? She needed me, and I wasn't here."

"You're here now. That's what counts."

"I've e got to see her."

"I don't know if that's possible now."

"Taeyeon!"

He looked around. It was Sunny. She came running up to him, her brown hair fying, her dark eyes filled with concern.

"How is she? Do you know anything?"

"They said she might have-" He could hardly get out the words. "She might have an aneurysm, Sun. They've taken her
to surgery."

"Why don't you both sit down," said Elena,
"and I'll go see if there's any news. Maybe Dr. Forlani hasn't scrubbed yet."

They walked over to the visitors lounge and sat down on wicker chairs. "What do you know about aneurysms? Taeyeon asked Sunny.

"Not much. Isn't it when an artery bulges out like a balloon? He nodded. "And if it bursts, it can kil you.

Sunny put her hand over his. "Everyone's praying for her. Students all over campus are setting up little prayer groups.

But what if God wants to take her home? He pumm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter