TLGS (PART 16)

JUST A STORY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Taeyeon pulled up beside the apartment at 10:00 a.m. sharp, just he had promised Jessica. As he climbed out of his car and strode to the door, he felt as skittish as a cat on a high tension wire.

     What's wrong with him? This was worse than a first date. Come to think of it, he couldn't remember feeling this nervous on any first date. He was usually Mr. Laid back calm, cool, and collected.

     But not this morning.

     Everything was on the line the life he had shared with Jessica, there love for each other, their marriage, there future. What if he couldn't win her back? What if this whole dating thing turned out to be fiasco?

     He straightened his shoulders and rang the doorbell. Even in his favorite plaid madras shirt and cargo pants, he still felt like a bumbling kid in mismatched shoes.

     Lord, I could use a little help here. Please don't let me mess things up with Jessica. You know how to get though to her. Show me, too. Help me to win back her love.

     He was so lost in thought that he jumped when Jessica opened the door.

     "Hi Taeyeon," she said with a little half smile. "Come on in."

     "Thanks." He went inside and glance around. The place looked the same, bit it felt like he'd been gone nearly forever. "So how are you doing, Sica?"

     "Fine." She ticked her clutch purse under her arm. "I remember you coming over. I didn't have to look at my list."

     "That's good." He couldn't help noticing how fantastic she looked in her tank top and skinny jeans, with the little canvas wedges that made her legs look amazing. She must have finally mastered her curling iron, too, because her long, Auburn brown hair looked perfect. He debated whether or not to compliment her. Would she think he was being too forward? He decided to give it a chance. "You look absolutely gorgeous."

     Was she blushing?

     "So do you," she said in a small, polite voice. "Handsome, I mean."

     "Thanks. I guess we are ready to go?"

     "Guess so."

     He walked her out to the car and opened the door for her. It seemed strange that they were being formal with each other, but that's the ritual of courtship. He was going to have to learn those things all over again. Man, he missed the easy, comfortable camaraderie of marriage.

     As he pulled out onto Kuakini Highway, Jessica asked, have you named your car yet?"

     Taeyeon gave her a sidelong glance to make sure she was serious.

     She was. "Um, no. I haven't picked out a name. Any ideas?"

     "I'll think about it. What was the name of your other car?"

     "Old Reliable."

     "That's right. You told me that."

     "I didn't expect you to remember it."

     "Old Reliable was wrecked in the crash, wasn't he?"

     "Yep. Totaled."

     "We were on our way to Hilo."

     "Do you remember that?"

     "No. I just know."

     "People have talked about it often enough, marveling that we survived."

     "Are we going to Hilo now to the same place were going then?"

     "That's what I was planning the Botanical Gardens and Rainbow Falls. It's where we first kissed. I guess it was a stupid idea."

     "Not stupid. But can we go somewhere else?"

     "You wanna visit some places here in Kona?"

     She nodded.

     "Whatever you want, Jessica. You say the word."

     "Which word?"

     "No, that's just an expression. Tell me where you want to go."

     She shrugged. "I can't remember how to get anywhere."

     "That's okay. I remember."

     "How about Yuuhi?"

     "Yuuhi? You wanna go to. . . Yuuhi?

     "No, silly. I'm talking about a name for your car. How about Yuuhi?"

     "Yuuhi's okay with me. You like Yuuhi?"

     "I love Yuuhi. It's short and easy to say."

     Taeyeon patted the dashboard. "So where are you taking us, Yuuhi?"

     With a spontaneous little chuckle, Jessica patted the dashboard, too. "Take us on an adventure, Yuuhi."

     "What would you like to see, Jessica?"

     "You want the beach, shops,food, galleries, museums?"

     "What would you like?" Asked Jessica. "You've probably already been everywhere."


     "Not really." He pulled onto Ali'I Drive, heading toward Kailua Pier. "We've spent most of our time in class, or on campus. We haven't had time or money to do all the touristy things most people do."

     "What did we do for fun?" Jessica asked.

     Taeyeon resisted the urge to say, We had fun just being together. We didn't need anything else in the world but each other. "When we could grab a few minutes away from our studies, we'd come to the pier and walk on the beach at sunset, or sit in the sun on the seawall talking and watching whales and sea turtles and tourists in their wild aloha shirts. Or we'd grab a latte at the coffee shop, or hang out with friends, or go swimming, or wander around a bookstore."

     "What did we talk about when we sat on the seawall?" She asked with a hint of wistfulness.

     "Lots of things. Mainly about what we wanted to do with the rest of our lives our hopes and dreams, the places we wanted to go, the things we wanted to see, the people we hoped to help someday." His voice trailed off. He was saying to much, making Jessica feel uncomfortable. This is supposed to be our first date. Keep things light, man. Keep things light!

     Jessica gazed down at her hands folded tightly in her lap. "I don't remember my hopes and dreams."

     Taeyeon swallowed over a lump in his throat. Giving her a sidelong glance, he said with more bravado than he felt. "That's okay Jessica. You can create new hopes and dreams."

     Jessica looked at him with pleading eyes. "How?"

     The sadness of her voice knocked the wind out of his sails. "I don't know, Jessica. You just can. It takes time. You'll form a new hopes and dreams, or maybe some of the old ones will come back to you."

     She was quite for a moment. Then, almost under her breath, she said, "I can't remember t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter