TLAGS (PART 5)

JUST A STORY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      HEY GUYS IM BACK

MY WORK IS DONE AND I CAN WRITE NOW

TOO MANY IDEAS RIGHT NOW

 

 

THIS IS NOT RELATED TO THE STORY BUT I LOVE

(TWICE MITZU)

 

SO YEAH HERE  IT IS THE CONTINUATION OF MY STORY

TO LOVE A GENTLE STRANGER <3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

               Taeyeon paced the floor outside Jessica’s hospital room, waiting for her to dress and pack up her things. It was exactly two months since the day of the accident, and she was being released today and to his care. She would continue her therapy as an outpatient, but he would be the one taking care of her now. He wasn’t sure he was up for this job. And he know Jessica wasn’t eager to go home with him. He couldn’t blame her. She still didn’t have a clue who he was. Well, that wasn’t true. She had been told often enough that he was her husband, but it didn’t sink in. she didn’t believe it in her heart of hearts.
The nurse appeared with a wheelchair. “Your wife is all checked out, Mr. Kim. Ill het her, and you can be on your way. I know this has to be a wonderful day for the both of you.”
                 “Yeah, Elena, it sure is.” Guilt nudged him. Sure, this would be one of the happiest days of his life. He was taking Jessica home. Then, why was he scared out of his wits? Why would he rather be almost anywhere else?
                  We’re ready, Mr. Kim.” Elena squeezed his hand as she handed him a plastic hospital bag of Jessica’s things. “I just want you to know, I said a lot of prayers for the two of you. And I know so many friends have been here every day praying. God answers our prayers. I know you were going to have a wonderful life together.”
                  “Thanks everyone’s been so supportive---our family and friends, the doctors and nurses. We appreciate everything.” He couldn’t think of what else to say, so he simply followed the nurse as she wheeled Jessica out to the car. He helped her into the passenger seat and tossed her things into the backseat. Jessica looked almost like herself in her green knit top and denim capris. It felt strange, like he was taking someone home who looks like Jessica but was really someone he hadn’t quite gotten to know yet.
                  “Am I well?” she kept asking as he headed back to their apartment near the university.
                  “You’re getting there, babe.” He always had to couch his replies in simple, positive words, as if he were answering a child.
                  “You’re a hundred percent better than you were a month ago.”
                  “Will I go back to the hospital?”
                  “Yeah, but you won’t sleep there. You’ll go three days a week for your therapy sessions.”
                  “Where will I sleep?”
                  “At our place.”
                  “Where are we going?”
                  “Home.”
                  “To Michigan?”
                  He sighed. Would she ever get over the idea that she belonged in Michigan? “No, not Michigan. To our apartment. You’ll like it. Why wouldn’t you? You decorated it. Most everything in the place is your stuff, except for my favorite beanbag chair and my sport trophies.”
                  “Sport trophies?”
                  “Yeah, I ran track. I was the fastest runner in my high school. Six years later, my record still stands for the hundred meters.” Why am I rattling on like this? I’m going to overwhelm her. Why can I just shut up!
                  “Where did you go to high school?”
                  “California. Burbank. It’s where I was born and raised.”
                  “oh.” She gazed out the window at the passing scenery. “Are we there yet?”
                  “Getting there.” He was miffed. She wasn’t listening to him. She was like a little kid. Distracted, impatient. There had to be something they could talk about, something to engage her attention. “How do you like our new car?”
“It’s new?”
                   “Actually its eight years old. But I got a great deal on it. We needed another car. Soojungie was totaled in the accident.” She gave him a bewildered glance. “Soojung who?”
                  “Soojungie.” Why would he think she remember that when she had forgotten everything else? “It’s the nickname we gave our car. I know it sounds dumb, but the old rattletrap was sort of like a member of our family.”
                  “I like a car with a name.”
                  “Me, too.”
                  “What is this car called?”
                   He gave her a quick smile. “I haven’t named it yet. I was waiting for you to help me.”
                   She crossed her arms on her chest. “I’m not good at names. I can’t even remember yours.”
                   “Taeyeon.”
                   “And I’m Jessica.”
                   “Right. See, you’ll getting it.”
                   “I am?”
                    “I bet you’ll come up with the perfect name for this hunk of metal.” He to Kuakini highway. He had an idea, the perfect thing to stir her memory. “Would you like to see where we go to school?”
                   She shrugged. “Whatever.”
                   “It’s a beautiful campus. Forty-five acres. It looks out over Kailua bay. You can stand on the campus and look at the ocean and see cruise ships in the harbor. The sunsets are breathtaking.”
                   She tugged on his arm. “Tae Yang, I’m hungry.”
                   “Teayeon.” He saw red every time she called him the wrong name. Why was it so hard to get a simple name right?
                   “I’m hungry, Taeyeon.”
                   “We could grad a burger at a fast-food place.”
                   “I want macaroni and cheese.”
                   “You hate macaroni and cheese.”
                   “I love it.”
                   “You ate it at the hospital all the time, but before that, you hated that stuff. You’d make it for me once in a while, but you never ate any of it.”
                   “I want macaroni and cheese.”
                   “Okay, we’ll fix some when we get home. But it’ll be out of the box.”
                    She smiled. “I’d love a box of macaroni and cheese.”
                   “But first, I want you to see the university. Maybe it’ll jog your memory.” He made a left turn onto the campus. Lord, please let her recognize something. Let me know the old Jessica is still in there somewhere. “See those buildings over there on the right?”
                    “I guess so.”
                    “See the sign with the red ‘Aloha’ on it? That’s the visitor’s center. Next is the Global Outreach Center.” They passed a row of umber brown, two-story buildings. “Keep watching, Jessica. See the circle of flags with the fountain in the center? That’s the plaza of the Nations. Those are the National flags of all the student in the campus. And the stepping stones around the fountain were gathered from every nation in the earth. Cool, huh?”
Jessica slumped down in her seat. “I’m tired, Tae Yang.”
                      “Taeyeon,” he muttered. His hopes were nose diving like paper airplanes in a downdraft. “Do you remember any of it, Sica? Anything at all?”
“No.” she lay her head back and closed her eyes. “I should go back to hospital. My bed is there.”
                       “Were not going back to hospital. We’re going home, Jessica. To our apartment. Right now!” his sudden anger surprised him. Where did it come from? This was supposed to be a happy day. Jessica couldn’t help it that she wasn’t herself. Lord, help me! Don’t let me spoil this day just because it’s not the way I wanted it. He turned the car around and headed back to Kuakini highway. “Our apartment is just on the other side of the highway. We’ll be there before you knew it.”

 

                          Jessica couldn’t stifle her feeling of dread. It had been growing steadily, spreading to every cell of her body, making her palms sweat and her heart pound harder. She has been away from the hospital for less than an hour, and already, she wanted to go back. Everything about it was familiar. Everything in this new word was strange. She recognized nothing. And she had no desire to get acquainted with it. What little independence she had manage to achieve at the hospital was slipping away. The familiar white room, the daily routine, and the people took care of her were gone now. She had no idea what to expect next.
                           She watch in wary silence as the man who called himself her husband pulled into a parking lot b4eside a tan, two-story building with a red tile roof. It was an attractive complex surrounded by towering palms and lush, tropical greenly, but it looked no more familiar than that far side of the world.
                           “Not bad, huh, Sica? There’s even a courtyard with a pool,” the man---her husband---said as he helped her out of the car. “We could go swimming later. It would help you get the strength back in your legs.”
                           She hugged her arms in her chest. “I don’t know how to swim.”
                          “Yes you do. You’re a better swimmer than I am.”
                          “I am?”
                           “You wait and see. Swimming is like riding a bike. You never forget how.”
                          “I had a bike. I remember riding a bike.” The memory helped soothe her dread.
                           “Well you keep those memories coming, babe.” He led her up to the walk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter