TLGS (PART 17)

JUST A STORY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Over the next few days, Jessica didn't hear a word from Taeyeon. Then, just when she was wondering if she should phone to make sure he was okay, she received an orchid lei and a handmade card inviting her to join him on an adventure to the Mauna Kea volcano. She called immediately and told him she would be happy to go. Her eagerness to see him again took her by surprise.

"I'll pick you up on Saturday at two o'clock," he told her. "Wear warm clothes and some good hiking shoes."

She was wearing a long-sleeved, animal print shirt, cargo pants, and her sneakers when she greeted Taeyeon at the door on Saturday afternoon. He was wearing a crewneck sweatshirt, stonewashed jeans, black tennis shoes, and a hooded windbreaker.

"Ready for an adventure?" He ask with a wink.

She grab her sunglasses. "I'm ready if you are."

"Got your digital camera?"

"I don't know. Do I own one?"

"You sure do. It should be on the top shelf of our, uh, your bedroom closet. While you're at it, grab a warm jacket. It'll be cold and maybe rainy on the mountain. To be on a safe side, I've got some snacks and bottled water in the car."

She smiled. "You think of everything."

"I try."

She was back shortly with her coat and camera "I don't know how to work it."

"Don't worry. I'll show you," he said as they headed to the car.

After a brief drive, he pulled up beside a bakery in Kona's Lanihau Center.

"Hey, I thought we were going to the volcano," she said as he parked and turned off the engine. "Or do we need more sugary snacks before we head up the mountain?"

"Surprise, babe. We're letting someone else do the driving. We're taking a sunset stargazing tour. We're meeting the van here."

She eyed him solemnly. "That must be awfully expensive."

"Only an arm and a leg. But I've been saving up for it. And I had a little extra help besides. It's something we're wanted to do since we got married."

"You don't have to do this, Taeyeon. I don't even recall wanting to see the volcano. I'm happy just to walk on the beach or a burger Bubba Gump's"

He laughed. "We're not having a replay of all those catsup soaked fries we stuffed down our throats at Bubba's. Listen, babe, this is going to be a night you'll remember. And I don't mean that facetiously about remembering. They say you haven't seen real beauty until you've seen the sunset from the top of Mauna Kea." His voice softened. "Of course, whoever said that hasn't seen you."

She looked away. "Don't, Jeff. I don't know what to say when you talk like that."

"That's okay. Forget I said it. Let's go. Looks like our ride is here."

They boarded what Taeyeon described as a four wheel drive, turbo diesel coach that seated thirteen passengers. Whatever it was, Jessica was glad to get a seat near the front where the huge window provided a panoramic view.

"E komo mai," saidcthe guide, a stout, weathered man with twinkling black eyes. "Welcome to the experience of a lifetime. Mauna Kea Kuahiwi ku ha'o ika malie -- Mauna Kea is the astonishing mountain that stands in the calm. It rises 13,796 feet above the sea. But if you measure it from base on the ocean floor, it reaches 32,000 feet. That makes it the tallest mountain in the world. Does anyone know Mauna Kea means?"

Someone shouted, "White Mountain."

"That is correct," said the guide, his eyes crinkling merrily. "Tonight, from its pinnacle, you will see the most dramatic sunset on earth. After dark, you will view the skies through powerful telescopes.over the next few hours, I will share with you many fascinating facts about Hawaii, it's history, and it's culture, so please sit back, relax, and enjoy the drive to majestic Mauna Kea."

Jessica did as the guide suggested. She put her head back and breathed deeply. She had told Taeyeon she didn't care about visiting the volcano, but already, she could feel an excitement building inside her. Obviously, the new Jessica wanted this as much I see the old Jessica. Maybe Taeyeon did know her better than she knew herself.

No, that's not possible! He doesn't know me that well. I can't even let myself thinking such a thing. She promptly turned her attention back to the guide.

" how many of you know how how I was formed?" Ask the solid, Leather-faced man, as the van traveled along Highway 109 North towards Waimea. He answered his own question. " this islands are the top of a gigantic mountains rasing from the ocean floor. Keith from the deep inside the Earth created magma, molten rock, the truth up through the Earth's crust and. . ."

Taeyeon reached over and squeezed her hand. " having fun?"

She nodded. But she didn't want to give Taeyeon the idea having fun in anyway changed their relationship. He couldn't let her defenses down. He was just her friend now. Nothing more. No matter what a piece of paper said, Surely her marriage could be annulled, and that she would soon be free to go home to her parents. That was the plan that kept her secure, on track. No matter how her emotions wavered, she had three mean focused on her plan.

The guide was still speaking in his Pleasant, thickly accented voice. "Mauna Kea is an active volcano, Wild neighboring Mauna Loa is active. The ancient Hawaiians believed that top of Mauna Kea was heaven itself. Legend has it that Poli'ahu, the icy snow goddess of Mauna Kea, often clashes with her rival Pele, the fire goddess of Mauna Loa, who spews her anger in fiery lava eruptions."

Jessica get out the window, her mind drifting, random prayers forming. He was just getting used to praying again. Talking to Jesus comforted her like nothing else did. She was still just beginning to get reacquainted with him, just as she was slowly getting to know herself again. She still had a long way to go on both counts.

God, what's wrong with me? She prayed silently. My emotions are all over the place these days. Like right now, I'm enjoying sitting here with Taeyeon. I'm actually looking forward to our day together. I even missed him those few days when he didn't call. I like him, God. And yep I can be what he wants me to be. I can be his wife. Right now, I don't want to be anyone's wife. Dear God, my life is in such limbo. Taeyeon is part of the past - a past I can't even recall. Please don't ask me to pretend to be something I'm not. Please let him let me go. How can I face the future if I'm still tied to the past?

" You looking at the scenery, Jessica?"

Started, she glanced over at Taeyeon and said, "Yes, I guess so."

She felt guilty thinking of leaving him when he was guessing at through with such affection and trust.

" we're on Highway 200 Saddle Road now," he said, leaning against her shoulder to look out the window. " this narrow, Winding Road cut across the island between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. Better hold on to your hat."

"I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter